Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Quitting Citalopram Cold Turkey After 8 Weeks On It (20Mg)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DanielEaston

DanielEaston

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

My doctor started me on Generic celexa for anxiety and depression March 11th, with the instruction of taking 10mg the first week and then taking 20mg for the rest of the time. However, the first week I was taking it I felt manic, and then my moods began to cycle somewhat during the following 4 weeks (disappointing, because it seemed to be working good the first week.. But I guess this kind of reaction is typical for people with bipolar), so the doctor decided I'm Bipolar II and started me on Lamictal 25mg for 1 week in addition to taking the Celexa, with the intention of titrating up. But then after a few days on Lamictal I noticed I became severely tired and depressed, basically a walking zombie, and I assumed this was because of the Lamictal so I stopped taking it, but continued with the Celexa. But after a few days off of the Lamictal I noticed the depression was still there, with a surreal emotional state and bouts of bad anger and some periods of feeling extremely giddy for no real reason, so I decided around 4 days ago to stop taking my Celexa cold turkey.

This was probably a bad move. Despite all I'd read about slowly tapering off, I figured 8 weeks was a short enough period of time on such a low starter dose that I'd be totally fine just quitting altogether. I think I was wrong. Now I feel EXTREMELY depressed, really spacey, feel that my life has no meaning, anxious, almost suicidal etc etc. And I have been snapping at my friends for the smallest things, which is affecting our relationships. I have prom coming up this Saturday (7 days from now) and I'm really hoping I'm at least less depressed by then.. I feel the worst I've probably ever felt right now.

How long will the effects of Citalopram withdrawal probably last in my case since I was only on them 8 weeks?
And are there any ways to combat the withdrawal symptoms? Before the Celexa I was mid-diagnosed with ADD so I have some Adderall XR left, and I was considering whether taking these in the middle of this drug withdrawal would help ease my depression or just make me even more irritable and anxious.

Thanks for any and all replies on this matter, I really appreciate it.

#2 AmberV

AmberV

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:50 AM

How are you feeling now, any better?

#3 Kallyn78

Kallyn78

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

Hey, I just quit citalopram cold turkey after 8 months. I was on 30mg and I guess the reason I decided to stop was the death of my grandma. The pills don't really help with grief so I figured if I was going to feel like crap I might as well try to get off the pills that don't manage my emotions anymore. Noted side effects thus far (one week) are severe dizziness, mood swings, nausea, fatigue, insomnia (good pair...), higher heart rate, reduced appetite, the sensation of brief electrocution, and feeling faint. I think I'm okay as far as anxiety and depression go, but I would definitely like to know how long these effects will last. If you have info, I'd love to hear it! :)

#4 AmberV

AmberV

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:12 AM

Ive been on citalopram 20 mg for 4 weeks and want to come off. I think a gradual weaning off over a week should suffice since it was such a short period?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users