Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Cymbalta Going Generic?

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#81 Hyperspace

Hyperspace

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:34 AM

Was it a chain drug store or a independant drug store you bought the Torrent at?

#82 Janie1

Janie1

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:15 AM

My generic is Lupin. I have filed a complaint with the FDA.

• Inbetween likes this

#83 Sayonara2013

Sayonara2013

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

I am so glad to have found this forum. I started Cymbalta 1 1/2 yrs ago for arthritis. It helped a lot ( I could no longer take NSAIDS because of stomach problems). I switched to generic 15 days ago - and have felt suicidal some days and  awful headaches . I did not even start it due to depression!!! My FP doc does not think it could be the switch to generic. I am going to make an appt with a psych for their opinion. Thanks for the information. I feel like I am going crazy

I remember daughter being switched to a generic that made her very sick - generic manufacturers need to held to  a higher standard!!!

The ironic part about the generics is that most of the active ingredients are manufactured outside of the US.   The generic drug is manufactured in the US - but as someone posted, the manufacturing process is reverse engineered and not exactly like the brand name.  The FDA always warns about going to Canada and buying expensive meds there - but the Pfizer, Lilly, Novartis, etc manufacturing plants there, are just like the US plants.  Yet, the FDA allows the generic manufacturers to import active ingredients and do the final production in the US.  When a consumer brings up the topic of the pharmas manufacturing their drugs outside of the US, the FDA goes silent.  The patent protection doesn't apply there - so the best that they can do is to warn us about counterfeit drugs.

Hey, I understand that the patent protection is given because the pharma research is done in the US and it helps to protect American jobs.  But who protects the patient from the insurance company that forces a generic on the patient because it's less expensive?

I talked to the pharmacist about this last week - he said that many of the customers are struggling with all types of generics because many meds had patent expirations in 2012 and 2013.  People who took the brand name struggle the most.  He agreed that counterfeit drugs are a problem but he also agreed with me that the FDA requirements for "bioequivalent" effects from a generic does not mean that the generic has the same therapeutic effect.  

The FDA requirements for bioequvalence means testing the amount of the drug in your blood stream.   It doesn't mean that we will have the same amount of medication at 6 or 12 or 18 hours with the generic as we had with the brand name.  For me, there just wasn't enough medication in the Citron version and I felt the effects immediately.  It wasn't a case of waiting out the adjustment period, my brain felt different and I became anxious and depressed.

Teva has the worst reputation of all the generic drug manufacturers.  The FDA revoked Teva's certification for generic Wellbutrin in 2012. 

http://www.forbes.co...ems-at-the-fda/

http://www.propublic...t-what-it-seems

More consumers should take the time to fill out the FDA complaint if they have an adverse reaction.  It's the only way to draw attention to the problem - other than lobbying for insurance reform.  I know that's not a comfort for anyone who needs to find an affordable  medication that works for them, and it's a slow process.  It took 6 years to get Teva's generic Wellbutrin off the pharamcy shelves.

Edited by Sayonara2013, 14 February 2014 - 10:06 AM.

• slackjawyokel likes this

#84 photogirl843

photogirl843

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:17 AM

What is odd for me, is that after close to a month of not having the meds helping AT ALL, suddenly I am feeling better while taking them.. I don't understand it at all, and am still somewhat skeptical that they are completely working, but I am going to continue as is until something seems amiss.

The manufacturer of the version I have is Sun Pharmaceutical.

#85 Gymrat84

Gymrat84

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:42 PM

I tried the generic Cymbalta and after a few days I developed hives on my face and shortness of breath. It was pretty scary and I had to get a massive steroid shot to stop the reaction. My doctor spoke woth the pharmacy and they said a lot of people had problems with the new generic and I ended up getting an override from my insurance brand name only. Its scary to think what was so different in the generic than brand name. Took the brand name for years with no allergic reaction at all.

#86 garydh2000

garydh2000

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:29 AM

Torrent came from rite aid in Pennsylvania.

#87 locura

locura

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:52 PM

I just got my 60 mg Cymbalta scrip renewed and they sent me generics. Of my 3 bottles, 2 have loose granules. Has anyone else seen this?

#88 Hyperspace

Hyperspace

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:37 PM

I just found out Walgreens carrys Actavis brand Cybalta. Actavis bought Watson and Forest. I'm going to give them a try and see how they are.

#89 Sayonara2013

Sayonara2013

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:10 PM

I just got my 60 mg Cymbalta scrip renewed and they sent me generics. Of my 3 bottles, 2 have loose granules. Has anyone else seen this?

Ronnie posted this about a month ago:

I counted (3) 60mg TEVA capsules - Total Granules in each:

I counted (3) 60mg Brand capsules - Total Granules in each:

#90 locura

locura

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:02 PM

I saw that granule count, just wondering about the quality of the capsules since some of them are open. It seems pretty sloppy. I checked and they're from Teva.

#91 TheOpenCluster

TheOpenCluster

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

I found this forum while searching to see if anyone else was having trouble with the generic.

I'm on cymbalta for depression and hypersensitive nerves.  I was switched two days ago.  I've been taking Cymbalta for over a year, on the 30MG, but 30 was too much for me, so I take it every other day, which has worked nicely.  When I was switched (Torrent manufacturer) things went fine day one, but yesterday I started intenstinal bleeding.

I'm currently waiting for a return phone call from my doctor.

I'm on 4 meds for depression, pain, and migraines.  It is probably an intereaction between some of them that didn't occur with Cymbalta.

I'm trying not to panic, but I'm just so frustrated.

#92 tree6199

tree6199

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:59 PM

Hi all.  Just registered and new to the forums.  I found this site after doing a Goggle search. I have GAD and have been on Cymbalta for many years with great results.  I started taking the generic Cymbalta on December 30 and thought nothing of it.  I was O.K. for about a week but as the old formula left my system my headaches (from teeth clenching at night) were coming daily and even my tried and true Imitrex couldn't get rid of them.  Then the depression and anxiety started hitting.  I occasionally had to take Klonopin during the day, which I almost never had to do on Cymbalta.  I finally put two and two together yesterday when I realized that I was feeling EXACTLY the same as I did a few years ago when I tried to go off the Cymbalta.  Finding this forum helped me SO much to realize what was going on. 

I immediately called my doctor who called in a perscription for the original Cymbalta, but when I picked it up it was $220!  I put it on my credit card because I cannot continue to function feeling the way I felt.  I got two different answers when I called my insurance company, the first saying that that would be the price every month if I refused to take the generic but when I called to complain to a supervisor the representative said I just have to meet a $500 deductable and then it will be $40.

Either way, I did report my feelings about the generic form to the FDA.

And this morning I couldn't wait to get up and take my real Cymbalta, and I feel a world of difference already, thank God.  What a horrible experience. 

#93 Ronnie

Ronnie

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

Switched to the Generic (TEVA) from the brand a few months ago.... not happy with the efficacy.  I may ask my doc to request fill for brand only.  Difference is $35 more a month ($10 generic, $45 brand), ugh!

Or, maybe try another pharmacy that has a different manufacturer.  I have had success with that in the past.  

Current meds: Lexapro 10mg, Wellbutrin SR 150mg 2x day

As needed: Restoril or Trazadone for sleep.  Klonopin infrequently, Nuvigil for shift work.

Previous meds I tried:  Paxil, Prozac, Cymbalta, Pristiq, Abilify, Buspar, Xanax, Depakote, Doxepin.

Nothing real can be threatened.
Nothing unreal exists.
Herein lies the peace of God.
~A Course in Miracles

#94 Nightgirl

Nightgirl

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:45 PM

i have been taking Generic Cymbalta for a week now and feel like i am withdrawing from a medication. i start shaking in the morning and get VERY nervous.  i noticed also that there are granules in the mail order supply i received. i am taking 4 mg of Suboxone and trying two taper off to 2 mg then stop but when i take the 4 mg in the morning, it stops the withdrawal symptoms. i was so excited to not spend almost $300 for 3 months supply. also, even before i switched, my psychiatrist wanted me to quit taking it and switch to Brintellix because I was depressed again after being on it for years. it's just a coincidence that switching to generic for my last dose. also, her assistant put me on Vyvanse for energy saying the Suboxone would interfere with anything else. i'm still spending my days off on the couch with no energy to get a life then hate going back to work with no outlet except TV. i font think my insurance will give me anything since I've paid for 3 months of Generic and another antidepressant.

Not sure where to go from here but I have an appointment tomorrow with doc.

dysthymiaforlife

#95 Sayonara2013

Sayonara2013

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:18 PM

rmp67r,

You probably are experiencing Cymbalta withdrawal because of the generic.  It's a very hard drug to wean off.  

The Vyvanse will help with your dopamine and energy, but it takes a few days to kick in.  It sounds like anxiety  from lack of Cymbalta and possibly some jitters from Vyvanse.  By jittery, I mean that I can get fidgety -  Vyvanse makes me tap my feet and wiggle my toes - and I don't know that I'm doing it.

The combination of Cymbalta and Vyvanse worked for me for about 2 years at 30 mg each, but last month, I switched to 60 mg each.

You might want to try (2) generics as an experiment and see if you feel better - ask your Doctor if that's OK to try it.  

If your doctor changes the dosage of the generic (30 mg to 60 mg) - it's  considered to be a brand new new prescription, which should be covered by your insurance.

Edited by Sayonara2013, 02 March 2014 - 10:19 PM.

#96 photogirl843

photogirl843

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:58 AM

My doc suggested staying with the generic for a while to see if anything evened out as time went on. She said we could try increasing the dosage a little bit now and then to check for any improvement, and gave me a supplemental rx for 20 mg to add on to my existing 60mg. 

I've been on a self-increased dose of 100mg for about a week now and I'm surviving, but not great. I'm not as bad as I was on the 60mg generic alone, but it's still not good. I still don't have the focus I need or want, and feel just irritated with a lot of things in general. I'm going to give it another week or so and see what happens. If there's no improvement, I'm going to get another appointment and talk with her about plan B - getting 2 prescriptions for Wellbutrin and an SSRI to take with it to sort of mimic Cymbalta. We'll see...

#97 Sayonara2013

Sayonara2013

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:27 AM

photogirl843,

We're all here because we have one thing in common - the generic Cymbalta didn't provide the same benefits as the name brand.  I tried Plan B which was a different med because the Doctor & I knew that the insurance company was going to require brand name authorization, every 90 days. The med was Fetzima, which didn't agree with me at all.  It's an SNRI but worked differently than Cymbalta.  I felt very  hypomanic and agitated on it so I felt worse, not better.  Everybody reacts differently and it's important to find what works.

Good luck and I hope that you feel better soon.

#98 Nightgirl

Nightgirl

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:57 AM

Thanks, for the feedback Syanora. I was thinking of asking doc if I could just take a higher dose of the generic Teva brand. Maybe another generic brand is better but I'm stuck with 3 months of Teva brand. The withdrawals are getting worse as I woke up a 5 this morning starving which is my symptom of withdrawal then terrible anxiety. I'm trying to wean off of Vyvanse since I thought it would just add to my withdrawal anxiety. 

My biggest concern is how depressed I'm going to get since I'm getting less of the antidepressant. Has anyone tried Brintellix? I haven't seen it mentioned yet. Is it hard to wean off of Vyvanse? This doc also told me to just quit taking Gabapentin which was a big mistake. I went off of it very slowly myself. Why do these doctors think getting off medications are easy if they are not opiates?  I have an appt. this afternoon and hopefully will get some answers. I need a second job but can't get one until I get myself on something that works.

dysthymiaforlife

#99 Sayonara2013

Sayonara2013

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

Thanks, for the feedback Syanora. I was thinking of asking doc if I could just take a higher dose of the generic Teva brand. Maybe another generic brand is better but I'm stuck with 3 months of Teva brand. The withdrawals are getting worse as I woke up a 5 this morning starving which is my symptom of withdrawal then terrible anxiety. I'm trying to wean off of Vyvanse since I thought it would just add to my withdrawal anxiety. 

My biggest concern is how depressed I'm going to get since I'm getting less of the antidepressant. Has anyone tried Brintellix? I haven't seen it mentioned yet. Is it hard to wean off of Vyvanse? This doc also told me to just quit taking Gabapentin which was a big mistake. I went off of it very slowly myself. Why do these doctors think getting off medications are easy if they are not opiates?  I have an appt. this afternoon and hopefully will get some answers. I need a second job but can't get one until I get myself on something that works.

I would call your Doctor today and ask about taking 2 of the Teva Capsules.  My doctor told me that the generic "tested" correctly in the FDA  tests for the amount of medication in the blood stream - but I wasn't getting enough medication at a steady rate.  Plus there can be as much as 40% variance in the generic - such as one capsule having 20% too much mediacation and another having 20% less medication.  You should also ask your Doctor about weaning off the Vyvanse simultaneously - it sounds like it would be hard to do both.

http://www.depressio...497-brintellix/

#100 Nightgirl

Nightgirl

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:46 PM

i went to doc this afternoon. she said Teva wasn't a good brand and their Wellbutrin generic ended up getting pulled by FDA. She called in script for brand name Cymbalta but insurance rejected it since i just had generic filled. Have been on hold for over an hour now with Cigna insurance. Doc said not to take no for an answer.

Finally after being on hold, Cigna insurance will charge me $150 for one month supply of name brand and $450 for 3 month. it's like i have no insurance so i can't afford it. it used to just cost over $200 for 3 month mail in.  I just took one now and i hope it helps cause I'm really stressed and jittery.

Plan is to get me on name brand to get me straightened out then try Dr. Reddy's generic as other patients have no problem with their generics. 

I also realize I have been getting headaches off and on all week also which feels like pressure on both temples. I never get headaches.

dysthymiaforlife

#101 Sayonara2013

Sayonara2013

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:23 AM

rmp67r,

You'll feel better in a couple of days and the headache will go away. 

When you feel better, write a letter to Cigna and fight that $150 per month cost.  You have a right to a medical appeal for review by the Cigna doctors.  Cigna wants to discourage you so you will not keep pushing for  them to cover a higher priced name brand drug.   Don't give up.  Force them into an a review, even after you start taking Dr Reddy's generic.

Your Rights to File Grievances with CIGNA HealthCare
We want you to be satisfied with the care you receive. That’s why we’ve established an internal grievance process for addressing your concerns and resolving your problems. Grievances include both complaints and appeals. Complaints can include concerns about people, quality of service, quality of care, benefit exclusions or eligibility. Appeals are requests to reverse a prior denial or modified decision about your care.

How to File a Grievance
By Phone: Call us toll-free at 1-800-CIGNA24 or the number on your CIGNA HealthCare ID card.

By Mail: Send written grievances to:
CIGNA
National Appeals Organization
P.O. Box 5225
Scranton, PA 18505-5225

We will provide you with a grievance form upon request, but you are not required to use the form to make a written grievance.

Online: You can download a grievance form or submit an online grievance through our website: http://www.cigna.com/

In your letter,  Ask about how to authorize Cymbalta and request an appeal for the $150 per month cost.  Tell them that your condition had seriously declined after "x" number of days on the generic and that  your doctor prescribed name-brand after diagnosing the side-effects of the generic. Include a copy of the Doctor's patient notes which stated to prescribe name brand.

Upload that letter into the myCigna.com portal  https://my.cigna.com/web/public/guest

Please don't give up.

I worked for Cigna for 5 years, from 2000-2005.  There were complaints about benefit exclusions and payments for as long as I can remember because they acquired many smaller health-care companies in the late 90's.  The multiple benefit systems often denied claims because the programming was wrong when a consumer made a claim to Cigna and  the consumer's info was in any of the acquired company's databases.  My friends and colleagues had bill collectors chasing them for unpaid claims - one friend even had his paycheck garnished by the court.  His surgery claim was rejected because of a healthcare plan that he had from a different employer, 10 years earlier.

• Cigna's rates for denying claims was at least 30% higher than any other healthcare insurer.  It's so high that even The Onion did a parody article about Cigna after they denied benefits  for Autism as "experimental treatments" and for a liver transplant to a 17 year old girl.  She passed away 9 days later - on the same day that Cigna finally reversed their rejection of the transplant cost.

• Cigna's own Tel-Drug Division fulfills their mail-order delivery.  There were legal problems with Tel-Drug while I worked there because the employees were not allowed to fill prescriptions at local pharmacies unless it was a one time only prescription.  The State of CT forced Cigna to allow employees to use local pharmacies for maintenance meds. 
    Cigna responded with a complex drug formulary and payment system that put many drugs into the highest payment tier.

• Cigna contracts Express Scripts to manage pharmacy benefits for Consumers.   Express Scripts lost track of my authorized override for prescriptions (including Cymbalta)  - and I was on the phone with them for 2 hours about 3 weeks ago.  The person who answered the phone had no idea what I was asking and it felt as if they deliberately did not provide training or information to the customer rep.

You are not alone.  Look at these recent complaints: http://www.consumera...gna_health.html

When you read the complaints, look at the one from the person who was allergic to gluten and received medication from Tel-Drug, with gluten.

"It turns out that Cigna's mail-order pharmacy only stocks ONE BRAND of drug at a time. Even though they knew of my GLUTEN ALLERGY, they shipped me a drug with gluten in and POISONED ME for over ONE MONTH. Additionally, they were unable and unwilling to fill other prescriptions for life necessary meds because they did not stock gluten-free drugs."

This article would make anyone angry if they found out why their prescriptions were denied coverage: http://www.businessi...SUE01/100025560

" Express Scripts Inc. and CIGNA Corp. have settled a lawsuit brought by New York state that accused the pharmacy benefit manager of inflating prescription drug costs for the state's largest employee health plan. Under last week's settlement, St. Louis-based Express Scripts and Philadelphia-based health insurer CIGNA will jointly pay $27 million for their alleged fraudulent acts that increased drug costs for Empire Plan members by millions of dollars."

As it turned out,  Express Scripts and Cigna had settled similar lawsuits for 28 states just prior to the NY settlement. 

Remember this lawsuit when the special "plan" advocate calls you to explain how you can save money by trying a different medication which you can fulfill by mail-order.   Your healthcare records are protected by HIPAA, but the insurer assigns a "plan" advocate to get around how they use your records - without your consent.

The NY  lawsuit claimed Express Scripts:

• Inflated the cost of generic drugs. 
  • Kept millions of dollars in manufacturer rebates that belonged to the plan.
  • Engaged in fraud and deception to induce physicians to switch patients from one prescribed drug to another for which Express Scripts received money from the second drug's manufacturer.
  • Sold and licensed Empire Plan data to drug manufacturers, data collection services and others without the plan's permission and in violation of the state's contract.
  • Induced the state to enter into the contract by misrepresenting discounts the plan would receive for drugs purchased at retail pharmacies.

The Connecticut Attorney General filed a lawsuit against Cigna as early as 2000. http://www.ct.gov/ag...A=1775&Q=283006   
Take a look:

Specifically, Blumenthal’s lawsuit alleges that health care plans violated ERISA and injured enrollees:

• They use prescription drug “formularies” so as to obstruct patient access to medically necessary prescription drugs. Typically, the enrollee appears with a signed prescription form at the pharmacy and is told the drug prescribed by the patient’s physician is not on the managed care plan’s list. The enrollee is given no denial notice and no notice of their right to appeal, although such notice is required by ERISA.

• They fail to make timely payments to providers, thereby threatening enrollees with the loss of necessary care.

• They fail to respond to enrollees’ written and telephone communications with answers that are timely, coherent, and fair. Enrollees are left on hold for long periods or shunted around a complex automated answering system. The real purpose of these obstructive procedures is to discourage enrollees from pursuing valid claims or complaints.

• They fail to disclose to enrollees essential information about the health care plans. Enrollees are denied key facts about prescription drug coverage -- for example, the use of drug formularies -- and the steps necessary to submit and appeal denials of coverage. ERISA specifically requires that this information be disclosed, but the defendants fail in their obligation to provide this basic information.

• They use arbitrary coverage guidelines as the basis for coverage denials. For example, they deny coverage after a patient has been in the hospital for a set number of days, regardless of the patient’s need for a longer hospital stay.

Edited by Sayonara2013, 05 March 2014 - 01:43 AM.

#102 dante1231

dante1231

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:38 PM

I have been on the generic for about two months now.  First month was Teva, from Walgreens, and the second month has been Lupin, from Caremark mail order.

The Lupin generic only has seven granules (if you can even call them that, they are so big) inside of each 60mg capsule.

I went through a period of very serious fatigue (I still have fatigue but it has lessened) and I also have lightheadedness and get a lot of headaches.  I tried switching back to brand name, but Caremark has more than doubled the price.

I also don't feel like I am getting a lot of theraputic benefit from the drug anymore.   I am going to try Brintellix if my pdoc decides to start prescribing it (I see her in a few weeks).  I have been at 120mg (max dosage) for a long time now.  So I can't go any higher.

#103 Nightgirl

Nightgirl

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

Thanks Sayonara! I am looking into the grievance right now and will send a letter.

Today is my day off and as usual, I am just lying on the couch all day and doing only what I have to get done. I feel very guilty because I don't have the energy to get a life right now so also kick myself while I'm laying here. Then I realize when I quit feeling guilty and just relax and let myself feel lazy while enjoying being alone and not dealing with anyone or anything I feel so much better and almost feel like doing getting out one of my crafts. It's amazing how getting down on myself adds to the depression. I have to take care of mom tomorrow so that's my usual days off. The only problem is when I return to work and realize I haven't interacted with anyone outside of work.There is no one at work to talk to or just share with besides exchanging pleasantries so I feel cheated. I feel very overwhelmed when I think of trying to make plans and join anything so i'm allowing myself to coast for the time being. 

I have an appt with doc next week and worry because she said Cymbalta was the best out there like there wasn't any real choice for me and it is hard to get off of so I don't know where to go from here.Then I wonder if i need another doc but she helped me a lot when I started seeing her. I'm stabilized now from the generic Cymbalta but still no energy or interest in living. 

dysthymiaforlife

#104 DS0105

DS0105

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:40 AM

I just got my prescription filled today and received Citron Pharma cymbalta. I am hoping it works okay for me, I'll let you all know!

#105 Ronnie

Ronnie

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

I just got my prescription filled today and received Citron Pharma cymbalta. I am hoping it works okay for me, I'll let you all know!

Hi DS0105,

Please let us know how the Citron manufacturer works... CVS in my area carries it and I can switch to them.  Currently my Walgreens carries the Teva and I'd like to switch from them. 

As needed: Restoril or Trazadone for sleep.  Klonopin infrequently, Nuvigil for shift work.

Previous meds I tried:  Paxil, Prozac, Cymbalta, Pristiq, Abilify, Buspar, Xanax, Depakote, Doxepin.

Nothing unreal exists.
~A Course in Miracles

#106 DS0105

DS0105

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:42 AM

So far I have no problems with the Citron manufacturer, I've been taking this generic for about a week. I'd actually say I like it better than the brand name, but time will tell. If I was a few hours late with the Lily pill, I'd get awful head pounding/brain zaps and I don't seem to get that with Citron. I've always had "brain buzzing" (it's hard to distinguish it from my tinnitus though) and the buzzing might even be less now. I don't have any joint pain or queasiness like I did when I was trying to wean off Cymbalta about 3 years ago. Depression is about the same, it's hard to measure that, you know?

So, I'm hoping I like this brand and it keeps working!! I got it at CVS too. 

Good luck if you try it! I'll keep posting. :)

ps. I'm on 60 mg.

Edited by DS0105, 23 March 2014 - 12:45 AM.

#107 Sayonara2013

Sayonara2013

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

Citron, Torrent, Sun  and the Dr Reddy generic seem to have less side effects than the other generics. (Aurobindo Pharma Ltd, Citron Pharma, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Ltd, Lupin Ltd, Sun Pharma Global FZE, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd) but I think it comes to down to how each person reacts to the generic.  Everyone will have a different experience and some people will be able to make the adjustment to the generic.  There seems to be a common adjustment experience from "weaning" off Cymbalta to the generic - headaches, return of depression, brain zaps, etc - because that's what many posters have written about.

The generic I tried was for the 60 mg Citron version, but I found that I had to take 2 of them, possibly a little extra medication but it improved how I felt while I waited to get a second  override form processed with Blue Cross.  Now I have to start  the override process again because the 90 days is almost up and I can't risk having the authorization lost in the system again.

Years ago, I learned that a tri-cyclic med was what I needed to feel good.  I took Tofranil for about 3 years and gained about 40 pounds from it. After that, I took trazodone for many years. Everything worked well until 2008 when I went thru heavy stress events, one after another.  No matter what I tried, I was only treading water and continued  to slide into a deeper depression.
I often thought that depression  is a lonely and selfish condition because all I could think about was how awful I felt.  I felt victimized, as if everyone was taking advantage of me and I self-isolated because I was tired of explaining how bad I felt.  I also didn't realize that people were avoiding me because I drained them or because I sounded as if I had a chip on my shoulder.  Adding paranoia into the mix, just made everything worse.  I was at the bottom and desperate.  My primary care doctor wanted to prescribe more Lexapro and I had stopped taking it because it did nothing but make feel angrier.  I told the doctor that all she did was prescribe and wasn't thinking about whether I felt better.

In 2011,  I switched to a new primary care physician and he was very concerned during my initial visit.  He prescribed Cymbalta and sent me to the psychiatrist who treats me today.
I know that the primary care doc saved my life because I felt worthless and wanted to die - I was tired of being alone and paranoid.   It's been a long 3 years back - my mental state caused much damage to many things.  I lost my job, my home and even some friends. 

It made me sad to see that primary care doc close his practice last year - he spent a great deal of time with his patients and none of the hospital "groups" wanted to take his practice into their network as they prepared for the Affordable Care Act.  He saved me and I know it because I couldn't recognize what my brain chemistry was, what it was doing to me and how it can get out of balance.  I knew enough to understand that Lexapro didn't work but I coudn't explain how I felt.  I also didn't have the courage to keep trying different medications until there was relief.  I was just discouraged and worn out.

Cymbalta  and its effect on my serotonin-norepinephrine balance was enough to get me to a reasonable state where I could make good decisions again.  The psychiatrist understood that a tri-cyclic worked best for me, which is why I take 60 mg of Vyvanse in the morning.  The Vyvanse helps with the dopamine and focus, I don't have the brain fuzziness or low energy levels anymore.
When Blue Cross lost the original authorization, I had to keep pushing for Cymbalta.  My psychiatrist suggested that it would be a long fight to get the override to be a once per year thing  and he asked if I wanted to try Fetzima.

I took Fetzima for about 3 weeks and knew that it wasn't for me.  The  norepinephrine level was higher than the serotonin and  my brain was buzzing, zapping and fuzzy all the time.  It made me giddy - basically hypomanic and "over the top" irritable.  Everything got on my nerves and I was yelling at everyone and everything. I couldn't stop talking and knew that I was blurting out during meetings and business situations.

During the 3 weeks, I stopped taking the Vyvanse because my blood pressure spiked  higher and I could feel my heart racing all the time.  I learned that norepinephrine affects the 'fight or flight'  response  - and that serotonin helps to control it.  But by that point, my brain chemistry had been affected after about 7 weeks of medication roulette.

I called my doctor and told him that Fetzima was not for me.  I took the Citron generic that was left over  - it took 2 weeks to re-issue the authorization and process it.  I had to push on it every day because the original authorization was lost in the hand-off from Blue Cross to Express Scripts.  (BTW, the attorney general is looking into "lost" payments and lack of ID cards for Blue Cross in my state.  It seems that hundreds of people were affected in January because the Benefit systems could not handle the increased volume because of the Affordable Care Act).

I think that most of us can tell what works for each of us and what combination of meds works best.  Each of us responds differently and what works for one person, may not work for another.
I'm glad that I found this forum because my initial reaction to the generic really scared me.  I was terrified that I would bottom out and become as hopeless as I felt in the spring of 2011 - and I never want to feel that way again.  I have hopes and things to fulfill in my life; I have to be the caretaker of how I feel, no matter how hard the insurance issues are or what the cost is for the name brand Cymbalta.

The day will come that I will  have to consider 90 mg of Cymbalta.  I stayed on 30 mg until  mid- 2013 and then I needed something extra. There haven't been a lot of studies on 90 mg or higher, so there's a possibility that I will have to try something else.  But I trust my psychiatrist and now that we both know  the reasons why  fetzima didn't work, I know that he'll do his best for me with whatever he prescribes.

• DS0105 likes this

#108 Janie1

Janie1

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:09 PM

FYI, when I got home from work there was a message fro Lupin on my answering machine. They were calling about the report I filed with the FDA. I will call them back tomorrow to see what they want. I talked to psychiatrist yesterday that said he is having a lot of pts complaining about their generic Cymbalta. I really encourage people to file their FDA reports - it does matter.

#109 henrithecat

henrithecat

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:26 PM

I just started generic Cymbalta (Torrent) seven days ago.  I hadn't been on any meds for a few months so I don't notice anything yet, but I'll see what happens in a few weeks. 

• Phoenix1 likes this
I'm on a roll this time. I feel my luck could change.

#110 had enough already

had enough already

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:03 PM

Has anyone switched generics and noticed effects?  I went from 30mg on brand name in November, to three months of 60 mg on Teva, and my insurance switched me to mail-order, which is 60 mg on Lilly (I guess that's the original?).  I sometimes suffer from fatigue and morning headaches that are from a few different things, and this had improved recently (contrary to many experiences, I did fine on Teva after a little while).  I'm trying to figure out why I've gone backwards this week with fatigue and one thing I can think of is the change in pill manufacturer.  Can anyone relate?  Is this plausible?

#111 chelle50

chelle50

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:36 AM

Good news is my doctor's office said Cymbalta is going generic.....they do not know when.  DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN?

Bad news is I can no longer rely on the samples I have gotten from them.  Does anyone know a free or inexpensive way to get this medication?  I cannot afford $500 or $225 (1/2 of my prescription amt), which I have dropped to this last week, so that maybe someone will want to help me pay for it.

Does anyone know of a reputable Candadian Pharmacy online?

I already feel not as good as I did on the 2 pills per day.  I go see my doctor tomorrow to talk about this, but I would really appreciate any help.  I work parttime - underemployed - and I have no health insurance.

Thanks, and I'd appreciate your help very much....I don't want to fall back into depression.

Peony

It has gone generic, I get 30 pills for $10.00

#112 DS0105

DS0105

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:30 PM

I still have no physical side effects to changing to Citron manufacturer, it almost scares me because I was expecting to feel worse at first. I really feel better physically, my Tinnitus is not so loud, the head zaps aren't as strong. It's as if the drug isn't as strong (do ADs work like that??) I wonder if I will get more depressed? I'm on 60 and have been on Cymbalta for about 7 years.

I was never 100% "cured" on Cymbalta, still slightly depressed, still sleeping a lot, still avoid socializing. All I seem to do is work (which takes up all my energy), go to the grocery store, go on facebook, and sleep.  :computer:

Edited by DS0105, 06 April 2014 - 02:31 PM.

#113 henrithecat

henrithecat

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:25 PM

Does the generic Cymbalta cause insomnia and mild akathisia for anyone else?  I don't remember ever having these problems on brand-name in the past, once the initial start-up period had passed.  I'm on the Torrent generic and I've been taking it for almost three months, although I went from 30mg to 60mg about a month and a half ago.

I've been having some depression, but it's hard to tell if it's all situational or not as I'm grieving a recent loss.  I hesitate to request another dose increase because I don't want the insomnia to get worse, and I need to get past this situational depression before I know how much the med is really helping.

I'm on a roll this time. I feel my luck could change.

#114 Hyperspace

Hyperspace

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:34 PM

Cymbalta can cause insomnia. I take a natural sleep aid to combat that.

#115 Ronnie

Ronnie

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:12 PM

I switched back to the Brand Cymbalta... the Generic by TEVA made me want to sleep for 12 hours a day.  

Nothing unreal exists.
~A Course in Miracles

#116 Hyperspace

Hyperspace

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:10 AM

I had to go back to the Lilly brand too. I tried Teva and it felt like I was taking nothing. Then I tried Activis and my blood pressure shot up, I got severe headaches, and I sweated constantly.

#117 tiltawhirl

tiltawhirl

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:30 AM

Had to switch back to brand too.  Had relapse of symptoms on generic. Filed an FDA report, recommend everyone does the same, though perhaps nothing will come of it. I was on lupin generic.

#118 JeffGilbert

JeffGilbert

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:51 PM

I had tried lots of meds for Depression but Cymbalta was by far the best. I've been on 90mg for years.  Every now and then I'll try to reduce to 60mg just to see if I can do with taking less. Even after giving it several weeks to acclimate, i find that 60mg just isn't enough.

A couple months ago I was switched to the generic manufactured by Prasco. The 90mg of generic feels like 60mg of Cymbalta.  I am generally more lethargic & sleepy, increased feelings of negativity, quicker to anger. decreased quality of sleep. (on the bright side, decreased ED).  Also it seems like the dose might be inconsistent.  Sometimes I'll experience symptoms like I've missed a dose - vivid/disturbing dreams, unexpected emotional outbursts.  Its my wife who really pointed it out to me. She tells me that since I've been on the generic I just haven't been myself.

Its encouraging to hear I'm not the only one who as experienced this.  I'm going to work on switching back to Cymbalta.

Each 30mg capsule contains hundreds (I didn't count) of white microgranules.

Label Details:

NDC 66993-076-30 PU3240

Manufacturer: Prasco

"Duloxetine Delayed Release Capsules, Each capsule contains 33.7 mg of duloxetine hydrochloride equivalent to 30 mg of duloxetine."

#119 Phoenix1

Phoenix1

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:27 PM

I started on generic Cymbalta (Prasco) 2 weeks ago - at first it seemed to work - less anxious, sleeping better, lift in depression but now that I am in week 2 I am actually have problems w/insommnia and increase in anxiety - almost like I am slightly manic. The depression is still under control. After reading posts here and other sites I'm beginning to this it's truly the medication being a generic form. My insurance will not, even with an MD prescription, pay for the name brand because Prasco is a Lily company. I am going to give it a few more days but if these issues don't ease up I'm going to stop it.

I also agree with JeffGilbert that some capsules seem stronger than others..yesterday I took one and w/in a few hours was feeling sleepy/nauseated but today it's like I haven't taken anything. Strange.

#120 Hyperspace

Hyperspace

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:10 AM

I started on generic Cymbalta (Prasco) 2 weeks ago - at first it seemed to work - less anxious, sleeping better, lift in depression but now that I am in week 2 I am actually have problems w/insommnia and increase in anxiety - almost like I am slightly manic. The depression is still under control. After reading posts here and other sites I'm beginning to this it's truly the medication being a generic form. My insurance will not, even with an MD prescription, pay for the name brand because Prasco is a Lily company. I am going to give it a few more days but if these issues don't ease up I'm going to stop it.

I also agree with JeffGilbert that some capsules seem stronger than others..yesterday I took one and w/in a few hours was feeling sleepy/nauseated but today it's like I haven't taken anything. Strange.

I never heard of Prasco until you mentioned it. I checked the website out and they make it sound like their generics are indentical to the brand. Where did you get your prescription of Prasco at?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users