Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Switching From: Ssri ----> 5-Htp/natural Alternatives

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 Velthir

Velthir

Moderator - Technician

• Admin Team-Moderator
  • 492 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

OTC. I wasn't especially hopeful since I've not had any luck with anything 'natural', pretty resigned to the fact that I need meds, especially now that I have a bipolar diagnosis.

Dx: Bipolar II/III (antidepressant induced mixed states/hypomania)
Rx: 400mg lamotrigine (Lamictal), 800 mg/day of carbamazepine (Tegretol XR), 600 mg/day Zyban (bupropion/Wellbutrin SR)
Failed meds: Cymbalta, citalopram (Celexa), agomelatine (Valdoxan), lofepramine, mirtazapine (Remeron), sertraline (Zoloft), aripiprazole (Abilify), quetiapine (Seroquel), trimipramine (Surmontil)
Partial-success: nortriptyline/Pamelor, moclobemide (Aurorix/Manerix), reboxetine

goldenvelope1jr.gif

#42 Subliminal

Subliminal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:02 AM

OTC. I wasn't especially hopeful since I've not had any luck with anything 'natural', pretty resigned to the fact that I need meds, especially now that I have a bipolar diagnosis.

I see. Yea, i was actually expecting you'd say that - because since the past couple of days I've noted your signature saying you're 'Bipolar' and from what i've studied on my own, a medicinal aid is usually helpful/needed for those circumstances.

I hope you're doing okay. Bipolar isnt a joke.

As for myself, with regards to the topic of thread, I'm moving down to 50mg 5-htp today, as previously discussed with @madd0ctor, in here. See how that goes.

Still feeling after-effects from the 100mg I had taken yesterday morning.. the "manic", over-energized self.. like the brain was overcharged and needed to release everything… something like a headache.. but not.

I suspect mild serotonin syndrome.. especially since I had just stopped an ssri (although I had already given about a week of a wash-out period before starting on 5-htp), and there could be "remnants" of serotonin or such that may have caused the "overload" in me.

Wish me luck

Inside me is a Life worth saving. I'll learn the Courage to Change. Consistency is Key.

Hope is EVERYWHERE.

S U B L I M I N A L

Blog: http://www.depressio...inals-writings/

Spoiler

#43 madd0ctor

madd0ctor

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

i have missed a lot of your posts Subliminal , its a bit hard for me right now to read exactly what you have posted above.

I'm still sticking with 5HTP needing to be split around the clock even if its 50mg , there just isn't any other way to maintain a steady level , i think its key with 5HTP.

Anhedonia can take some time to fully go away , but its one of the worst feelings ever or lack of for that matter , you are right.

any luck at 50mg for sleep ? 100mg is too activating for you right ?

i can definitely see 5HTP doing the opposite if the dose is too high , too much serotonin is worse than low levels. but its not serotonin syndrome.

which again brings me to :

when 5HTP gets some high quality double blind controlled studies its gonna be used more for sure, until then its like walking in the dark.

at least so the people can get an idea of the dose rages , max / min etc.. treatment phases.

i think this thread is great and 5HTP has a lot of potential maybe not just yet , but any info is better than none.

Edited by madd0ctor, 16 March 2013 - 03:40 PM.

“Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing,

it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it.

On the contrary, if I have the belief that I can do it,

I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

#44 Subliminal

Subliminal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

hi buddy :)

you haven't told me what you're taking 5-htp for though.

True with the thread. High potential for learnings. Although, all credit goes to the info provided/shared.

Oh it's not serotonin syndrome? Yea, the serotonin levels seemed to be a little high (activating) the past 2 days. a bit too much.

agree on the double-blind controlled studies..

This is the first time im taking 50mg, still having a somewhat "buzzing" or hot feeling.. I still can't sleep..or rather, doesnt seem to make me sleepy (took at 1015PM). but maybe because it is already the wee hours and my sleep cycle is really affected (along with the recent side effects I had - made things worse for a while). All of which could be the initial side effects OR the medication needs to be balanced out in my system after having taken a little more than needed previously. If all eventually subsides, I will move to 50mg 2x a day.

I'm sticking with 1 capsule for now (per day)..or rather a split capsule (50mg, since i only have a 100mg bottle). instead of around the clock because I need to monitor myself.

Somewhat worried too, as I don't know what else to go to or try if this "fails"… because I dont want to have to go running around trying everything, I'm running out of time.. i need to go find a job.

However, the slight hint of a bit of a "calm" effect I noticed is the Hope I'm having for 5-htp at least.. It was not a 'Great' feeling, just something i noticed for a while the first day i took it.

P.S. Listening to 'Sideways Walking' by Eastern Conference Champions as I was typing this post. Try it.. quite chill ;)

Inside me is a Life worth saving. I'll learn the Courage to Change. Consistency is Key.

Hope is EVERYWHERE.

S U B L I M I N A L

Spoiler

#45 Velthir

Velthir

Moderator - Technician

• Admin Team-Moderator
  • 492 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

I'd imagine it's impossible to get serotonin syndrome without taking an SSRI/some med with that affect, since otherwise excess serotonin probably gets eaten up. In general it's rare to get it unless you're on an MAOI and an SSRI/SNRI. Or potentially tryptophan/5-HTP with an SSRI or MAOI.

Edited by Velthir, 16 March 2013 - 10:21 PM.

Dx: Bipolar II/III (antidepressant induced mixed states/hypomania)
Rx: 400mg lamotrigine (Lamictal), 800 mg/day of carbamazepine (Tegretol XR), 600 mg/day Zyban (bupropion/Wellbutrin SR)
Failed meds: Cymbalta, citalopram (Celexa), agomelatine (Valdoxan), lofepramine, mirtazapine (Remeron), sertraline (Zoloft), aripiprazole (Abilify), quetiapine (Seroquel), trimipramine (Surmontil)
Partial-success: nortriptyline/Pamelor, moclobemide (Aurorix/Manerix), reboxetine

goldenvelope1jr.gif

#46 Subliminal

Subliminal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:20 AM

Alright thanks for assurance.

The somewhat 'manic' overloaded head really made it seem to be pointing to something like SS. All that somewhat 'out of it' but on the go overdrive added impact to the insomnia that i was experiencing along with.

I'm quite thinking Melatonin to help manage my sleep, now that 5-htp seems to be giving me these (uncalled for) difficulties. Although money is always one to consider first

Hope is EVERYWHERE.

S U B L I M I N A L

Spoiler

#47 SloStang

SloStang

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:09 AM

Hi Subliminal, sorry I haven't been online for a few days.  Yes, we do seem to have a lot in common.

I haven't had a chance to try a second dose of 5-HTP yet.  The first few days of the work week I was doing very well, and am not sure if it was due to the weather change or a lasting effect from Saturday's dose.  Anyhow, the peaceful feeling was definitely gone by Thursday, and the plan was to take a dose on Friday evening after work, but then we got invited over to a friend's house for dinner and didn't get home until after midnight.

And I didn't want to take a dose last night, because I'm running a half marathon today so it will be helpful to feel hyper and bouncing off the walls, or at least not content to lay around all day listening to Pink Floyd.

#48 Subliminal

Subliminal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

Hi Subliminal, sorry I haven't been online for a few days.  Yes, we do seem to have a lot in common.

I haven't had a chance to try a second dose of 5-HTP yet.  The first few days of the work week I was doing very well, and am not sure if it was due to the weather change or a lasting effect from Saturday's dose.  Anyhow, the peaceful feeling was definitely gone by Thursday, and the plan was to take a dose on Friday evening after work, but then we got invited over to a friend's house for dinner and didn't get home until after midnight.

And I didn't want to take a dose last night, because I'm running a half marathon today so it will be helpful to feel hyper and bouncing off the walls, or at least not content to lay around all day listening to Pink Floyd.

Wow i don't think the effect would last that long.. 100mg

i think i've been picking at my brain enough. my fatigue from (God know's what is causing it… Ssri Stoppage/Thyroid/Lack of Vitamin… whatever the f%$^) and anger at 5-htp giving me somewhat adverse results so far has led me to think i should get a doctor.

But now's another challenge, as I really do not want to waste my time and energy on seeing a doctor who doesnt know anything on natural supplements. The research is endless… part of me feels like giving up,

am having trouble sleeping etc.. almost like im lost now, again.. will try taking the 5-htp 50mg with food tomorrow night..

frustrated. so very

Hope is EVERYWHERE.

S U B L I M I N A L

Spoiler

#49 Upandown

Upandown

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:58 AM

i think i've been picking at my brain enough. my fatigue from (God know's what is causing it… Ssri Stoppage/Thyroid/Lack of Vitamin… whatever the f%$^) and anger at 5-htp giving me somewhat adverse results so far has led me to think i should get a doctor.

Subliminal, you should re-read my post to this tread on page-1, Remember? I really hope you do see a doctor. Too many "do-it-your-selfers" have found out the hard way. Toe-tags, jail.... again, not trying to sound rude, I do care, that's why I'm replying to your last post. Internet treatment with others should not be undertaken, please be careful.

Regards.

Borderline Personality Disorder... maybe some Bipolar.... all I know is I have lots of mood swings that include severe depression, anxiety, irritability, OCD??

Current meds; Seroquel XR 150MG, Lamictal 150mg, Lexapro 5mg, Clonazepam 1mg 2x/day

#50 SloStang

SloStang

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

Hi Up and Down, I agree that seeing a doctor tends to produce better results than do-it-yourself, but it's not a black and white issue either.  My doctor diagnoses just about everybody with an unexplained symptom as having chronic lyme disease and wants to put them on long term antibiotics.  Such a course of treatment can definitely do more harm than good, especially when there is no direct evidence of bacterial infection.

I should also point out that Subliminal's experience with 5-HTP very closely mirrors my experience with Cymbalta.  One costs $15/month, the other $150/month plus a doctor's visit to get a prescription.  I couldn't sleep on Cymbalta, and coming off of it after only a few days worth of pills was horrific.  It's a pity, because it seemed like if they made a lower dose version it might have worked nicely.

#51 Subliminal

Subliminal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

Subliminal, you should re-read my post to this tread on page-1, Remember? I really hope you do see a doctor. Too many "do-it-your-selfers" have found out the hard way. Toe-tags, jail.... again, not trying to sound rude, I do care, that's why I'm replying to your last post. Internet treatment with others should not be undertaken, please be careful.

Regards.

Hello @UpandDown

nice to hear from you again! nahh, that was just a one-off thing. my use of the word 'adverse' for lack of a better word at the time, comes off too strongly.
I'm trailing with natural supplements that I've been following, reading about and exchanging ideas with others over 4 years, not street drugs. I am always persistent with speaking to the sales staff about the products, before even purchasing and then I go down a second time to collate what I'd like before buying.

the comment that was written about 'do-it-your-selfers' may come across as a bit harsh actually. (I'm not offended no worries). Sometimes on and off, people will have to do their own homework because they know themselves the best. In my case, my doctor declined to offer help as he did not prescribe them - leaving me in the "balances" so i'm taking my own action.

We're usually careful, even with Natural supplements, to have already understood the side effects and or what to have to do - and yes, the side effect I experienced was one of the rare ones, but I knew it would soon dissipate. it just gave me lots of overcharged energy that made me really anxious + a "angry/overheated" at the time.

i have to agree with @slostang it's not all black and white. My doctor kept prescribing me the same things.. over and over, like a teeter-totter going back and forth telling me that the 'tiredness' was in my head…  I've stopped the Ssri's and I haven't had 1 single day of that draining 'tiredness'. I respect his professionalism and it did guide me, but it can only go so far because we know ourselves the best.

As long as one is responsible to read and learn what one is taking, and legal - jail is pretty much on a different island.

Hi Up and Down, I agree that seeing a doctor tends to produce better results than do-it-yourself, but it's not a black and white issue either.  My doctor diagnoses just about everybody with an unexplained symptom as having chronic lyme disease and wants to put them on long term antibiotics.  Such a course of treatment can definitely do more harm than good, especially when there is no direct evidence of bacterial infection.

I should also point out that Subliminal's experience with 5-HTP very closely mirrors my experience with Cymbalta.  One costs $15/month, the other $150/month plus a doctor's visit to get a prescription.  I couldn't sleep on Cymbalta, and coming off of it after only a few days worth of pills was horrific.  It's a pity, because it seemed like if they made a lower dose version it might have worked nicely.

heyy @slostang :)

prob's the hippest username in thee whole Galaxy.

looks like we do have more in common than i thought, eh..haha..

Lol, Chronic lyme disease…wth! I've never been on Cymbalta though… so i guess my doctors never suspected I had chronic lyme disease lol. But in all seriousness, that is no joke.. it's always important to be vigilant in such cases especially if one is depressed.

Update with 5-htp (Day 9)

today is the 2nd day taking 50mg with Food. I did research and found out that if taken with food, this insomnia can be managed and is likely to subside. which i was a bit hesitant with because i was wondering if the 5-htp would not be going into my blood stream under those circumstances. (you can read more in my blog about it)

*those reading this please take note: Food

intending to move to 100mg tomorrow with food. Once the sleepiness from it decides to take a hike and if I feel it's worth continuing.. (which I probably will because it's not even 3 weeks let alone 2 weeks) I'll likely consider taking it twice a day.

P.S. kinda tricky because with the Many, many reviews.. you'd almost never come across the people who had insomnia, report this. and judging from the bottle, it says 'will help you sleep'. On top of that, no proper studies have been done to confirm the dosing and side effects.. and the insomnia can strike you like a bee in the behind, *yikes*

So lesson learnt here and I'm glad I experienced it.

Hope is EVERYWHERE.

S U B L I M I N A L

Spoiler

#52 Subliminal

Subliminal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

Update with 5-Htp

Still feeling these mini hot-flashes when taking 100mg 5-htp.. I'm just taking it that these are signs that it is working and doing something, for now.

Will stick out for the 2 weeks+ and see how it goes.. don't know if I can actually take it in the daytime (with food) because it seems to make me a little snoozy and yawny (without feelings of 'calm' that have been reported at so many different websites).

---------------

I wonder if the next step, after taking this 5-htp and it doesn't work is to:

• Try a different brand of 5-htp

• Use L-TRYPTOPHAN instead.. the precursor to 5-htp

• Add in L-Tyrosine (before switching brands) and see how i respond.

• Move to a different supplement like SAM-e or St. John's Wort

What do you guys think? :)

Feel free to respond. I don't take anything here as professional advice, just a gauge - so go ahead!

Thank You

subliminal

Edited by Subliminal, 20 March 2013 - 03:40 PM.

Hope is EVERYWHERE.

S U B L I M I N A L

Spoiler

#53 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,847 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

I think i said this before, you should see an herbalist or holistic doctor in regards to 5-HTP as well as any other herb or supplement you want to try. Many regular docs and and pdocs have no clue about herbs or supplements. My pdoc is also a holistic doc. Her office looks like an apothecary's. lol

Sheepwoman

It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#54 madd0ctor

madd0ctor

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:38 AM

can we vote ? :smilingteeth:

i vote St Johns wort (standardized to make sure it has a consistent amount of the active ingredient at least) its the most studied for depression / anxiety

and basic guidelines already exist for how to use it correctly unlike 5HTP

Edited by madd0ctor, 21 March 2013 - 12:48 AM.

“Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing,

I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

#55 madd0ctor

madd0ctor

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:50 AM

so you feel more fatigued on 5HTP that relaxed , i understand sounds a bit like a ssri lol , maybe its kicking in finally ?

Edited by madd0ctor, 21 March 2013 - 12:55 AM.

― Mahatma Gandhi

#56 SloStang

SloStang

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:27 AM

Just a quick update on my experiment:  I took a 5-HTP on Monday evening, had a great night's sleep with very pleasant dreams, and didn't feel hugely different on Tuesday.  I'm not saying it didn't do anything, only that it didn't have the dramatic effect that the first dose did.

Or maybe it was the weather.  The first dose was followed by several sunny days with warm temperatures.  The second dose was followed by cold temperatures and over a foot of snow.

So maybe part of the answer for me is to throw on an extra layer of clothes when the weather is cold (not joking!).  I'll even try this experiment without consulting my doctor first (okay, joking now).

#57 Subliminal

Subliminal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

I think i said this before, you should see an herbalist or holistic doctor in regards to 5-HTP as well as any other herb or supplement you want to try. Many regular docs and and pdocs have no clue about herbs or supplements. My pdoc is also a holistic doc. Her office looks like an apothecary's. lol

Sheepwoman

Lol, apothecary's… that's not old skool, that's ancient skool. I have actually sought a 'naturalist' but cancelled the appointment. I'm finding I have to do it the "stubborn" way for now - because my faith in the doctors (or maybe the medication after trying so many ssri's) is just non-existent at this time.

However, as I'm figuring out things.. I did manage to secure a doctor's appointment. Yea, i know im going back and forth on my words :P

subliminal

Edited by Subliminal, 21 March 2013 - 02:17 PM.

Hope is EVERYWHERE.

S U B L I M I N A L

Spoiler

#58 Subliminal

Subliminal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

@madd0ctor

can we vote ? :smilingteeth:

i vote St Johns wort (standardized to make sure it has a consistent amount of the active ingredient at least) its the most studied for depression / anxiety

and basic guidelines already exist for how to use it correctly unlike 5HTP

Hahah… but i just read that it can create or give cataracts especially when you're out in sunlight.. so, not really favorable.

so you feel more fatigued on 5HTP that relaxed , i understand sounds a bit like a ssri lol , maybe its kicking in finally ?

lol 'sounds a bit like ssri'. i dont think it's kicking in or anything. frustrating that it doesnt give me the benefits that so many people claim. i might consider a different brand after speaking to the doctor.

not fatigued.. mini 'hot flash' and irritable. puts me slightly to sleep, but awake in a matter or 2 to 4 hours, without feeling any calming effects. I've skipped it for today, and will try again tomorrow.

Thanks for your responses!

subliminal

Edited by Subliminal, 21 March 2013 - 02:17 PM.

Hope is EVERYWHERE.

S U B L I M I N A L

Spoiler

#59 Subliminal

Subliminal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

Just a quick update on my experiment:  I took a 5-HTP on Monday evening, had a great night's sleep with very pleasant dreams, and didn't feel hugely different on Tuesday.  I'm not saying it didn't do anything, only that it didn't have the dramatic effect that the first dose did.

Or maybe it was the weather.  The first dose was followed by several sunny days with warm temperatures.  The second dose was followed by cold temperatures and over a foot of snow.

So maybe part of the answer for me is to throw on an extra layer of clothes when the weather is cold (not joking!).  I'll even try this experiment without consulting my doctor first (okay, joking now).

@slostang 

that's good to hear! it's only 2 doses you're talking about.. i think you should take it more often, considering it has already shown to have helped you sleep. Plus, the dosing fr it is usually 2 to 3 times a day..

I actually do get the vivid dreams, but i don't get any "pleasantness" as I've mentioned in a few earlier posts here. Bummer, but i'll try to stick to it at least once a day.. whether 100mg or 2x 50mg.

Oh yes, I forgot to share with you guys which it is that I bought. It's the brand 'NOW 100mg 60 Vcaps':

Feel free to post what you're using. It may help others identify better as we share our experiences with 5-htp/Natural alternatives.

subliminal

P.S. from my point of view… 'NOW' is no good, 'NOW' is taking forever. Lololol~

Edited by Violet31, 23 March 2013 - 09:51 AM.
Picture in post

Hope is EVERYWHERE.

S U B L I M I N A L

Spoiler

#60 rapunzel

rapunzel

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:15 AM

hey Subliminal :)

you might want to watch this documentary:

PM me for link.

Look for all other parts after that as well.

I have ordered empowerplus and will start when it arrives.

Edited by Violet31, 23 March 2013 - 09:32 AM.
Youtube video in post

#61 Subliminal

Subliminal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

hey Subliminal :)

you might want to watch this documentary:

PM me for link.

Look for all other parts after that as well.

I have ordered empowerplus and will start when it arrives.

hello @rapunzel  :)

Thanks for sharing. Youtube links aren't allowed in the forums, but I did take note of it - Cheers!

subliminal

Hope is EVERYWHERE.

S U B L I M I N A L

Spoiler

#62 Subliminal

Subliminal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

UPDATE

Have moved off from 5-htp since a couple days ago.. will try again another time, but expecting similar results with it not working.

Maybe another brand may be the answer… but we'll save that for (when i have more money) Lol.

subliminal

Hope is EVERYWHERE.

S U B L I M I N A L

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users