Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Subliminal

Switching From: Ssri ----> 5-Htp/natural Alternatives

62 posts in this topic

Posted

oh yea, i know that Tryptophan gets metabolized into 5-htp. Just didn't know the term 'L-Tryptophan'.

confused for a moment there.

that sucks, cos i was hoping i cld take 200mg at night, 100mg in afternoon. I dont want to do the whole '3x a day thing' with 100mg..

also, r u saying if there is 50mg, i shld go for that instead of starting at 100mg?

For the most part, i just want to sleep better :(

the past months have been having really been having really bad sleep, cos it seems the faverin i've been taking keeps my brain very "active" at night, in the process diminishing the amount of sleep i actually get even when im "asleep".

The past few days... I have already lowered the dosage and as of yesterday stopped taking any. i sense the 'electric jolts' (which i've had in past withdrawal experience) coming somewhere next wk - already getting a "heavier" mind as the Ocd starts to creep back in

but hopefully would be set on course with the 5-htp i'll purchase somewhere this week.

Thanks for your replies and support @madd0ctor. Really means a lot as I work my way thru this

You might also be interested in:

Posted (edited)

Hi Subliminal , you have to remember that there are no official guide lines for 5HTP , so if your serious about it , your gonna have to play around yourself with the dose.

IMO , Its gonna have to be 2 times minimum a day , once a day forget it , personally i would skip the 50mg alltogether and go for the 100mg capsules and empty the first few if its too strong.

even though i doubt you will need to. depends how your gonna react to it.

if 5HTP is for you you will be beyond 50mg after the first few days.

but since u don't like spreading it out , like i do my sentences , your idea would be my second advice , a higher dose for sleep sounds good and something to keep you going through the day i guess.

Again the dose can only be established by you , 200mg night if you can handle it and 100mg during the day. (These are targets , take it slow the first couple of days)

if you see that you are responding well you should be able to increase quickly to your target of 300mg (100 + 200) sounds within reason. but also 100+100 seems ok

first time i took 300mg in one go , i felt a bit sick for about an hour or two and then was fine.

Again 5HTP is something you have to see for yourself , what your limits are , due to the lack of any official prescribing information.

Edited by madd0ctor

Posted (edited)

L-tyrosine might be more activating , i tried it once (for a few days) at a high dose gave me a bit of a buzz lol but that was it.

What time did you take the L-Tyrosine at?

also, noted that you underlined 'Once' but stated 'for a few days'. pls enlighten

IMO , Its gonna have to be 2 times minimum a day , once a day forget it , personally i would skip the 50mg alltogether and go for the 100mg capsules and empty the first few if its too strong.

even though i doubt you will need to. depends how your gonna react to it.

if 5HTP is for you you will be beyond 50mg after the first few days.

bolded the part i wanted to focus on.

thanks for giving this "guidance" and support @madd0ctor

what do you mean 'empty the first few'?

but since u don't like spreading it out , like i do my sentences , your idea would be my second advice , a higher dose for sleep sounds good and something to keep you going through the day i guess.

Again the dose can only be established by you , 200mg night if you can handle it and 100mg during the day. (These are targets , take it slow the first couple of days)

if you see that you are responding well you should be able to increase quickly to your target of 300mg (100 + 200) sounds within reason. but also 100+100 seems ok

yea, am hoping to go that direction. also, after reading some other threads at other forums - somehow, gave me the impression (and i kinda already guessed) that 50mg is a little "weak" or low.

'cos im taking B6 now, and in one forum.. i read that taking the B6 at the same time (in the morning) with the 5-htp defeats the purpose apparently.

as mentioned in an earlier post here.. the 5-htp brings the serotonin to the brain but with the serotonin having not had the chance to break down after created by B6, it's rushing the process and defeats the purpose.

i will have to read up and find out more about that but for now, not taking any chances with that and "waste" the supplements.

first time i took 300mg in one go , i felt a bit sick for about an hour or two and then was fine.

Again 5HTP is something you have to see for yourself , what your limits are , due to the lack of any official prescribing information.

yea, just remembered that you had taken 5-htp before too.

What were you taking it for again?

I'm targeting for sleep and also, if possible, help me manage my Ocd if it calms me. then proceed to exercise properly in the day time, with the better sleep i may be getting from it.

But the sucky thing i read yesterday at a Dr OZ site post (written by some other staff), was that you can't take 5-htp for more than 12-weeks!?

which, baffles me... because, what if i want/need to take it long term for my condition if it works..

Did you read anything on this 12 week thing when you were taking it?

Thanks

Edited by Subliminal

Posted (edited)

they are capsules with a powder in , if its too strong you can empty some out to make it for example 50mg , if your not sure if you should buy 50 or 100.

50mg is probably a bit low yes , this is not to say it won't work , but its low..

once (for a few days) , i know it doesn't seem to make sence lol , i mean once in my lifetime for a few days , and not when needed (or on and off etc) so unable to draw any conclusion

i took them in the morning - early anyway , because i was anticipating an activating effect.

i see alot of companies selling 5htp with B6 included they seem to think it helps for some reason , there is too much contradictory info on the net about 5HTP,

i was researching it too like you awhile back , don't think about it too much until you give it a shot i atleast , then you can research further.

This is in the only way to find out anything for sure .

As for long term , i don't know its more of an on / off with breaks thing , so if it works you won't need to take it every day.

interesting read on OZ. i wouldn't want to be on it longterm purely due to lack of research

Edited by madd0ctor

Posted (edited)

Just bought my 5-htp yesterday, 100mg.

Hmm.. gotcha on the Long term consumption of it.

I'm betting on more research to learn and understand how i can go about having intervals with it, if it does work.

also to find out whether there may be anything i (could) take during the intervals or "downtimes" of 5-htp - to sustain and give me the chance to continue taking it after that lull period, so to speak.

I know i'm jumping way ahead, but certainly helps to put down ideas as a map - and maybe even help others who read are reading these.

Another key pointer (rather important finding - to me at least),

i wanted to mention - whilst having decided on 5-htp and planning when/where to get, doing research etc,

i was taking Vit-B6 - every morning or afternoon - that i had bought about 1 1/2 weeks ago.. and this seemed to give me a "buffer" for any withdrawal symptoms when stopping my ssri.

This came as a surprise to me that im learning and thinking more of, because it's been 5 days since i've stopped the ssri and there weren't nearly as bad symptoms that i was anticipating.

This in itself (no doubt having quite the bit of depression) seems to have made me "light up" a bit.. and maybe, it has been talked about before (not to my knowledge) - but it's the first time it's happening for me, and i want to point it out.

Of course, all of this is speculation as i see it - but has been circling my mind since i thought about it today.

However, having "reduced" withdrawal symptoms, i am now "enjoying" the (likely brief) period being off of a "dreaded" ssri that has been making me numb to so much in life for so long - and that other unknown period (the future) when things either crumble :( as the serotonin supposedly starts to drop in levels (or so i've come to believe over the years, and from those trying & painful experiences in the past i had from tapering down my meds with intention to stop)

OR

the magical thing happens that i dream; the serotonin levels have somehow come to "balance" at a higher baseline (still low, from my judgement of how i am now), and i may be good to manage with Supplements and vitamins... partly cos i dont want to go back onto Ssri's if things work out and i can Really not take any to manage my ruminatons and Ocd!

P.S.

Okay, i get what you mean for 'Once (for a few days)' now.. quite got it about 70% previously, because now i realize you're referring to L-Tyrosine, instead of 5-htp as i initially thought! lol.

So was it activating? apparently L-Tyrosine is taken without food/between meals (like 5-htp)

Don't think i'll break the capsule when it comes to powders.. I dont want to waste any, cos i wont be able to store back any that has been removed.. and this is expensive ($70). Perhaps when im slightly more experienced.

Thanks for your feedback and sharing. Has been very helpful.

Will stop here - just have so many thoughts buzzing in my head now.

Edited by Subliminal
madd0ctor likes this

Posted

I just tried 5-HTP for the first time this past weekend. Took one capsule late Saturday afternoon, felt very peaceful for a couple hours, then could not stay awake anymore and ended up feeling peaceful/groggy all day Sunday. I haven't taken a dose since and still feel pretty good. Of course, there's also daylight saving time and a huge change in the weather which could be confounding factors.

The 5-HTP i got was the generic CVS brand. 100mg w/ B-6 included and valerian root (think Valium). I also picked up some melatonin to try, which I took last night and that seemed to produce a solid night's sleep with plenty of dreaming. Not quite as sedative as the 5-HTP, which is interesting for reasons I'll get to in a moment.

I've also been doing a bunch of research. Tryptophan does get converted to 5-HTP, and this is the rate limiting step in making serotonin. What I haven't been able to fully verify, but strongly suspect, is that if you have a mutation in your MTHFR gene (like me and about 50% of the US population), it limits your ability to make the enzyme for this step, and that's why the mutation leads to low serotonin and depression. The same explanation also applies to converting Tyrosine into L-DOPA and then into Dopamine.

Taking a 5-HTP supplement bypasses this step, and if enough B6 is available, the 5-HTP gets converted to serotonin very quickly. I'm hoping to use 5-HTP as needed, like at the end of a stressful day when I need to chill out and get to sleep. Probably only on a Friday or Saturday night when I can tolerate a groggy next day.

Next interesting finding: Serotonin gets converted into melatonin, which is what makes you sleepy when it gets dark and is also a powerful antioxidant, and is thought to be very protective of brain cells: So I'm thinking low serotonin levels -> depression and low melatonin. Low melatonin -> don't sleep very well and your brain atrophies.

So if you're looking for a good night's sleep more than an anti-depressant, melatonin may be an alternative to 5-HTP. The action will be more direct, and you don't need as high a dose (5 mg melatonin compared to 100 mg 5-HTP).

I'm very happy to find over-the-counter alternatives to prescription meds. I'm always worried that the doc won't refill my prescription, especially if I switch to a new doctor. Now I can worry about the government changing the laws for supplements. Did I mention I have a bit of anxiety? :-)

Posted

Hi @SloStang :)

I like how you ended the post. Reminds me of how i'd do it.

I'll respond in more detail when i'm free. Thanks for your response and insight! very much appreciated.

Posted

F%#*!!! Just posted something in so much detail on mobile and my thumb hit the 'Done' button (iphone) by accident as I was rushing and it all disappeared!!!! URRGHHH!!!!

Pls read my next post. ****** shifting to my laptop. Thanks guys urgent post. Pls reply especially if you're awake.

Posted

hi @SloStang @madd0ctor

This is an urgent post and I hope you can reply asap. Please respond if you're awake. Thank you so much guys, i really need you guys on this one for troubleshooting.

(Anyone else with knowledge/experience, may respond too thanks)

1st Time taking 5-htp was chill (taken 7AM because i was having insomnia and trouble sleeping already + procrastination)

i slept really chill and awoke later to be pleasantly surprised on how I was calmer

My initial plan is to stick to 100mg a night/day for a week before doing anything.

Yes I am fully aware that some people ramp up to 2x or 3x a day after a couple of days of just 100mg a night.

This also happens to be what is indicated on the bottle (1 Capsule - 100mg - a night before bedtime on empty stomach)

3rd Day to 5th Day (yesterday) taking 5-htp at night before bedtime ranging from 12:00AM to 2:00AM

CAN'T SLEEP - CAUSING INSOMNIA, Only been able to sleep around 5:00AM onwards, waking at 4:00PM the past two days

Plus, I went on a run yesterday night at 11PM and after taking 5-htp, could not sleep with my already exhausted body/mind! That's why I'm somewhat wired/manic now typing this.

(I read somewhere that if you're unable to sleep with 5-htp, it may mean the dosage is too high creating too much Serotonin causing insomnia and difficulty sleeping.

Which is where I was thinking perhaps at night I'll need to take just 50mg.)

So on to my concerns,

For this 100mg 5-htp I'm taking now, would it be a better idea to move it to the daytime instead OR is this just a part of the initial Start-up phase for some people and I need to wait/ride it out? OR would it be better to remove the B6 i'm taking in the morning now and just stick to the 5-htp until I settle these problems and then move back to taking B6 in the morning.

Do note that I do not intend to take B6 with 5-htp at the same time. Any 5-htp taken in the daytime will be in afternoon around 4:00PM, if i do make the shift or add another dose to make it 2x a day.

OR Is this all because I have yet to increase to 2x a day to "balance" things out - and should increase by now to help alleviate the situation?? (This part is the Perfectionist in me speaking)

I hope you guys respond soon. I am really having a tough time now. My day to go running earlier in the day to balance out my sleeping has been spoilt because of this trouble sleeping. Everything has been ruined, now i need to go run later at night..eat dinner later.. Everything LATER! f*%^

I was just beginning to utilize any "Goodness" coming from the 5-htp to handle and plan my days better and THIS happens..........

Thank You So Much.

P.S. I am SO ANGRY with this right now, because I emailed a company yesterday to work and they responded asking if I could send in my resume.. but since this happened yesterday (for the 3rd time or so) I need to contemplate sending in my resume and sort out this obstacle FIRST. Because I do not want to go to work having S%^* and have it Screw up all my efforts and determination when working that I really want to put in when these other things can be settled.

I believe I am also speaking on behalf of the millions of others having this dilemma with wanting to work and do a GREAT job!

Posted (edited)

I just tried 5-HTP for the first time this past weekend. Took one capsule late Saturday afternoon, felt very peaceful for a couple hours, then could not stay awake anymore and ended up feeling peaceful/groggy all day Sunday. I haven't taken a dose since and still feel pretty good. Of course, there's also daylight saving time and a huge change in the weather which could be confounding factors.

The 5-HTP i got was the generic CVS brand. 100mg w/ B-6 included and valerian root (think Valium). I also picked up some melatonin to try, which I took last night and that seemed to produce a solid night's sleep with plenty of dreaming. Not quite as sedative as the 5-HTP, which is interesting for reasons I'll get to in a moment.

I've also been doing a bunch of research. Tryptophan does get converted to 5-HTP, and this is the rate limiting step in making serotonin. What I haven't been able to fully verify, but strongly suspect, is that if you have a mutation in your MTHFR gene (like me and about 50% of the US population), it limits your ability to make the enzyme for this step, and that's why the mutation leads to low serotonin and depression. The same explanation also applies to converting Tyrosine into L-DOPA and then into Dopamine.

Taking a 5-HTP supplement bypasses this step, and if enough B6 is available, the 5-HTP gets converted to serotonin very quickly. I'm hoping to use 5-HTP as needed, like at the end of a stressful day when I need to chill out and get to sleep. Probably only on a Friday or Saturday night when I can tolerate a groggy next day.

Next interesting finding: Serotonin gets converted into melatonin, which is what makes you sleepy when it gets dark and is also a powerful antioxidant, and is thought to be very protective of brain cells: So I'm thinking low serotonin levels -> depression and low melatonin. Low melatonin -> don't sleep very well and your brain atrophies.

So if you're looking for a good night's sleep more than an anti-depressant, melatonin may be an alternative to 5-HTP. The action will be more direct, and you don't need as high a dose (5 mg melatonin compared to 100 mg 5-HTP).

I'm very happy to find over-the-counter alternatives to prescription meds. I'm always worried that the doc won't refill my prescription, especially if I switch to a new doctor. Now I can worry about the government changing the laws for supplements. Did I mention I have a bit of anxiety? :-)

@SloStang

I would actually like to give you a hug right now. I am blessed to have someone else ride this 5-htp journey with me, especially since you just started which is about (3 days?) later.

I too feel that "peaceful" effect, but for me, there still seems to be depression hanging around. My Ocd has actually diminished, making me realize that I actually have some kind of Gad and along the way it formed into Ocd as a means to deal with the Anxiety (and not being given the proper medication for the past 8 years experimenting.. well, experimenting my a** because NONE of the doctors i went to would have prescribed 5-htp to me because they legally could not! If only I had discovered 5-htp earlier in my life)

BUT MOVING FORWARD, IN EVERY SENSE OF IT AND ALL MY MIGHT

I want to believe that it is Not who I was but who I AM NOW.

Back to topic,

(And to anyone reading these) - What is my next option in combatting depression? Something that CAN be mixed with 5-htp.

My researched list of Lined up Items:

Melatonin, L-Tyrosine, L-DOPA, St John's Wort (SJW).

I intend to manage 5-htp (and B6, along with B12 soon) for about a month before adding anything. Because it can get confusing and troublesome especially if you want to

see the intended effect of each.

Which should I add first? this is just to start the conversation going so when the time comes I'd have the necessary collective views to base my research.

I have read that St. John's Wort should not be taken in combination with 5-htp, but some people have posted.. (circa 2008, 2010.. in other forums, social anxiety, bluelight etc, that they took them together). Please post your thoughts/views on this (anyone).

Yes @SloStang,

I have come to also learn about the Tryptophan conversion to 5-htp to Serotonin.

but thank you for the further elaboration on Melatonin etc, I think that really helps. I will get to that later in this post or in another post when I can sort my tired my out (insomnia in previous post)

My surprise came when you mentioned MTHFR gene.. because I too was JUST reading on that a couple days ago.. which made me kinda feel like we're the the same person/soul typing back to each other to help sort out the problems.

For me, my focus is solely 5-htp now and the experiences.. learning. this MTHFR gene mutation could be a possible thing for me too.. and I learned from a youtube video the other day.. someone posted on how the 'Short-Arm' gene actually prevents one from actually benefiting from SSRI's whereas those with the Long-Arm gene have the ability to send the neurotransmitters accordingly, reaping the benefit.

therefore, 5-htp or natural alternatives may be the solution for people like us.

I'll delve into this slowly so I won't jump to conclusions just yet - this is just me personally. but all explorations and sharing are welcome!

But I have been suspecting what you and I have mentioned collectively for a long time, never ever having had the doctors or anyone ever, help confirm or solidify any research - because the probably didnt really know about these or were "forbidden" in their job scopes to mention anything that they did not prescribe.

Screwed up world, sometimes. Sometimes, beautiful.

Okay, I need to go for my run now. I'll come back to continue conversation after that.

Once again, Thank you guys so much. I will contribute to others' posts to when I've the time, because it's not only about receiving. It's about giving as well.

Edited by Subliminal

Posted

Overall, if I can maintain this level of Serotonin (or slightly more, since I have come to see that I have been low on Serotonin ever since a young kid)

Plus add Dopamine.. or something, Anything! maybe even Melatonin (Or if the 5-htp eventually works the deal and helps me sleep better once I supposedly ramp up to the recommended dosage of 3 times a day, 100mg, balance things out and also increase it's levels in my system)

I am really good to go!

Just need to manage/deal with this Anhedonia and Sleep Issues!! I have this Silver Lining (yes, playbook. the movie) waiting for me.. it's somewhere there. I just know it and I am desperately working to make things work. Having finally come off SSRI's

I also pray that whatever we talk about here will help others. I really do. Because for the past 8 years, I have been given the "wrong" medications.. I've been through depression.. Lost the chance to stay with my girlfriend(s).. Broke up with 1 because I felt she would be better off with someone else, as i wanted her to be blessed with someone else as I dealt with my depression (but she is a blessing as she still keeps in touch with me and says I can always contact her if i need to talk to someone, which she has responded to before)

I've even been told to Leave a job before... It breaks my heart thinking of all these.. but with my current state of (i think recovering/clearing up) Anhedonia.. it is near impossible to shed a tear or cry. But inside my soul I am breaking down in so many places, as i think through. Plus my family who has been here for me all the while

I am incredibly grateful.

I like to think that these 8 years have been a kind of experience that I WILL implement in the areas/fields and in Life that I will soon work in, eventually. I have the drive and passion and dedication to do things.. but the depression has been holding me back, plus making get annoyed with people around me (wrong meds etc), pushing them away. I will do everything in my power to make things work, compromise my perfectionism.. forgive myself, forgive others.. learn...

Just this chance, i pray. Just give me this chance.

The things i would do to help others and especially Youth, when I recover and manage ;(

Posted

Ideally stick with L-tyrosine rather than L-DOPA probably. From what I gather it's easy to take too much L-DOPA and cause permanent dopamine disregulation over the long term whereas l-tyrosine will only metabolise to the amount you *need* if you're deficient. Definitely read up on chronic/long term administration of L-DOPA before considering it anyway, far from ideal.

I'd probably try tyrosine before SJW if your main issue is anhedonia, but then serotonin meds have always made anhedonia worse for me.

Posted

Alright Thanks @Velthir.

L-Tyrosine has been the next step I've thought about, once I'm at least 1 month+ on 5-htp or so. Daytime or Nighttime, What do you suggest? I read on a bottle other time, 'anytime between meals - empty stomach'.

How about Melatonin, is adding that now make any sense to help with sleep - or would it be better to settle/manage 5-htp alone for at least 2 weeks in?

Thanks. I'm trying to hit every corner possible on this

-------------------------------

I have skipped the 5-htp for tonight. Was feeling still "wired" and annoyed/agitated.. and the all-round-Cannot-Sleep feeling.

Was terrible. Even when I was running earlier, I was so 'out of it' and just beaming past everything and everyone.. without any emotions - all likely from the lack of sleep/trouble sleeping.

Skipped the B6 today too.

Will try taking 5-htp tomorrow afternoon, without any B6.

What do you guys think of taking B6 at night?

I noticed the "lack of desire" (partly Anhedonia) for women - I'm talking about the natural occurrence in humans, not anything else - has been a huge "demoting" factor for me in terms of dealing with Life. I noticed that when this is more "apparent" on times when the anhedonia isnt as prevalent, I tend to want to do better to attract a female counterpart in life (once again, referring to daily occurrences - not chasing women or anything like that), as with a female would also want to attract and find a suitor.

Ultimately, wanting to improve my life, myself.. everything around me (within my own circle of control).

From what i've gathered 5-htp seems to also lower Testosterone and lower Libido - but if my math is correct and from some of the positive moment I've had from 5-htp,

I can balance it out.

This has been a hurdle for me, and most likely all other males having to deal with such medications. The attraction motivation seems to just diminish, especially if anhedonia is present along with it.

My target however now, is to simply just be able to sleep - which 5-htp instead of helping, has caused the opposite. I'm still unsure if it's a Start-up effect and waiting it out would change things, but the experiences so far for the past 3 days have been bad enough for me to want to not take it at night. I will try daytime. Night time, I'll probably wait to try that another time, perhaps on a weekend in April 2013 or something.

P.S. Still waiting for replies to Posts #34 and #35 - if anybody, please. Thank you.

Posted

Don't know, I tried taking it in the morning for a while in combination with something (I don't remember what) and didn't notice much difference either way. Can't really see a reason to not try the melatonin now, but again I'm no expert on natural stuff. Melatonin doesn't seem to have any affect on me/my sleep issues unfortunately.

Posted

@Velthir

Okay thank you. i'm short of cash after spending on the Vit B6 + 5-Htp, or rather.. i need to spend carefully

I'm still looking at both L-Tyrosine & Melatonin as the next add-ons to try once i've been kn 5-htp long enough.

Sorry to hear they didnt do much for you. i'm very sure you were hoping for some relief when trying them. Were they prescribed by your doctor or did you get them Otc?

Appreciate your responses

Posted

OTC. I wasn't especially hopeful since I've not had any luck with anything 'natural', pretty resigned to the fact that I need meds, especially now that I have a bipolar diagnosis.

Posted

OTC. I wasn't especially hopeful since I've not had any luck with anything 'natural', pretty resigned to the fact that I need meds, especially now that I have a bipolar diagnosis.

I see. Yea, i was actually expecting you'd say that - because since the past couple of days I've noted your signature saying you're 'Bipolar' and from what i've studied on my own, a medicinal aid is usually helpful/needed for those circumstances.

I hope you're doing okay. Bipolar isnt a joke.

As for myself, with regards to the topic of thread, I'm moving down to 50mg 5-htp today, as previously discussed with @madd0ctor, in here. See how that goes.

Still feeling after-effects from the 100mg I had taken yesterday morning.. the "manic", over-energized self.. like the brain was overcharged and needed to release everything… something like a headache.. but not.

I suspect mild serotonin syndrome.. especially since I had just stopped an ssri (although I had already given about a week of a wash-out period before starting on 5-htp), and there could be "remnants" of serotonin or such that may have caused the "overload" in me.

Wish me luck

Posted (edited)

i have missed a lot of your posts Subliminal , its a bit hard for me right now to read exactly what you have posted above.

I'm still sticking with 5HTP needing to be split around the clock even if its 50mg , there just isn't any other way to maintain a steady level , i think its key with 5HTP.

Anhedonia can take some time to fully go away , but its one of the worst feelings ever or lack of for that matter , you are right.

any luck at 50mg for sleep ? 100mg is too activating for you right ?

i can definitely see 5HTP doing the opposite if the dose is too high , too much serotonin is worse than low levels. but its not serotonin syndrome.

which again brings me to :

when 5HTP gets some high quality double blind controlled studies its gonna be used more for sure, until then its like walking in the dark.

at least so the people can get an idea of the dose rages , max / min etc.. treatment phases.

i think this thread is great and 5HTP has a lot of potential maybe not just yet , but any info is better than none.

Edited by madd0ctor

Posted

hi buddy :)

you haven't told me what you're taking 5-htp for though.

True with the thread. High potential for learnings. Although, all credit goes to the info provided/shared.

Oh it's not serotonin syndrome? Yea, the serotonin levels seemed to be a little high (activating) the past 2 days. a bit too much.

agree on the double-blind controlled studies..

This is the first time im taking 50mg, still having a somewhat "buzzing" or hot feeling.. I still can't sleep..or rather, doesnt seem to make me sleepy (took at 1015PM). but maybe because it is already the wee hours and my sleep cycle is really affected (along with the recent side effects I had - made things worse for a while). All of which could be the initial side effects OR the medication needs to be balanced out in my system after having taken a little more than needed previously. If all eventually subsides, I will move to 50mg 2x a day.

I'm sticking with 1 capsule for now (per day)..or rather a split capsule (50mg, since i only have a 100mg bottle). instead of around the clock because I need to monitor myself.

Somewhat worried too, as I don't know what else to go to or try if this "fails"… because I dont want to have to go running around trying everything, I'm running out of time.. i need to go find a job.

However, the slight hint of a bit of a "calm" effect I noticed is the Hope I'm having for 5-htp at least.. It was not a 'Great' feeling, just something i noticed for a while the first day i took it.

P.S. Listening to 'Sideways Walking' by Eastern Conference Champions as I was typing this post. Try it.. quite chill ;)

Posted (edited)

I'd imagine it's impossible to get serotonin syndrome without taking an SSRI/some med with that affect, since otherwise excess serotonin probably gets eaten up. In general it's rare to get it unless you're on an MAOI and an SSRI/SNRI. Or potentially tryptophan/5-HTP with an SSRI or MAOI.

Edited by Velthir

Posted

Alright thanks for assurance.

The somewhat 'manic' overloaded head really made it seem to be pointing to something like SS. All that somewhat 'out of it' but on the go overdrive added impact to the insomnia that i was experiencing along with.

I'm quite thinking Melatonin to help manage my sleep, now that 5-htp seems to be giving me these (uncalled for) difficulties. Although money is always one to consider first

Posted

Hi Subliminal, sorry I haven't been online for a few days. Yes, we do seem to have a lot in common.

I haven't had a chance to try a second dose of 5-HTP yet. The first few days of the work week I was doing very well, and am not sure if it was due to the weather change or a lasting effect from Saturday's dose. Anyhow, the peaceful feeling was definitely gone by Thursday, and the plan was to take a dose on Friday evening after work, but then we got invited over to a friend's house for dinner and didn't get home until after midnight.

And I didn't want to take a dose last night, because I'm running a half marathon today so it will be helpful to feel hyper and bouncing off the walls, or at least not content to lay around all day listening to Pink Floyd.

Posted

Hi Subliminal, sorry I haven't been online for a few days. Yes, we do seem to have a lot in common.

I haven't had a chance to try a second dose of 5-HTP yet. The first few days of the work week I was doing very well, and am not sure if it was due to the weather change or a lasting effect from Saturday's dose. Anyhow, the peaceful feeling was definitely gone by Thursday, and the plan was to take a dose on Friday evening after work, but then we got invited over to a friend's house for dinner and didn't get home until after midnight.

And I didn't want to take a dose last night, because I'm running a half marathon today so it will be helpful to feel hyper and bouncing off the walls, or at least not content to lay around all day listening to Pink Floyd.

Wow i don't think the effect would last that long.. 100mg

i think i've been picking at my brain enough. my fatigue from (God know's what is causing it… Ssri Stoppage/Thyroid/Lack of Vitamin… whatever the f%$^) and anger at 5-htp giving me somewhat adverse results so far has led me to think i should get a doctor.

But now's another challenge, as I really do not want to waste my time and energy on seeing a doctor who doesnt know anything on natural supplements. The research is endless… part of me feels like giving up,

am having trouble sleeping etc.. almost like im lost now, again.. will try taking the 5-htp 50mg with food tomorrow night..

frustrated. so very

Posted

i think i've been picking at my brain enough. my fatigue from (God know's what is causing it… Ssri Stoppage/Thyroid/Lack of Vitamin… whatever the f%$^) and anger at 5-htp giving me somewhat adverse results so far has led me to think i should get a doctor.

Subliminal, you should re-read my post to this tread on page-1, Remember? I really hope you do see a doctor. Too many "do-it-your-selfers" have found out the hard way. Toe-tags, jail.... again, not trying to sound rude, I do care, that's why I'm replying to your last post. Internet treatment with others should not be undertaken, please be careful.

Regards.

Posted

Hi Up and Down, I agree that seeing a doctor tends to produce better results than do-it-yourself, but it's not a black and white issue either. My doctor diagnoses just about everybody with an unexplained symptom as having chronic lyme disease and wants to put them on long term antibiotics. Such a course of treatment can definitely do more harm than good, especially when there is no direct evidence of bacterial infection.

I should also point out that Subliminal's experience with 5-HTP very closely mirrors my experience with Cymbalta. One costs $15/month, the other $150/month plus a doctor's visit to get a prescription. I couldn't sleep on Cymbalta, and coming off of it after only a few days worth of pills was horrific. It's a pity, because it seemed like if they made a lower dose version it might have worked nicely.