Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Prozac And Sleep

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 laketree80

laketree80

ID: 108622

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

14 days ago I begin taking 10mg of Fluoxetine once a day. For the most part, it has worked great.  However, the one side effect that quickly emerged was vivid dreams and interrupted sleep.  I have no problems getting to sleep.  However, I do have problems staying asleep.  For the past two weeks I've only been about to sleep 3-4 hours straight.  Sometimes I am able to fall back asleep for 1 or 2 more hours.  I had been taking it at night one or two hours before bed.  About a week ago, I switched to taking in the morning - about 7:00 a.m. 

Three days ago my psychiatrist prescribed 25mg of Trazodone before bed.  I suggested that perhaps the sleep problem was due to me taking it at night and that perhaps I should give it more time with the morning habit. He said it did not matter what time of day I took it.  I haven't started taking the Trazodone yet.  My sleep the last three nights has been a little bit better than previously - maybe 4-5 hours of straight sleep followed by 1 or 2 more hours of extended sleep after. Usually I wake up either around 2:00 or 4:00 in the morning. 

So my questions are this:

(1) Has anyone else exprienced this problem?

(1a) If so, how long did it last?

(1b) Did you need medication to help regain sleeping habits?

(2) Might a simple Melatonin supplement help?

(3) Does it matter what time of day I take Fluoxetine?

I of course plan to talk to my doctor about this... but I wanted to see what ya'll thought before I went in.  Thank you so much for any comments.

#2 Extremebeginner

Extremebeginner

Advanced Member

ID: 108041

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

Can't talk for Prozac but I am taking Cymbalta and again time of day was not supposed to be important. But t was, when I took it in the morning, I was a zombie all day. I then took it at night and slept well, with reduced fatigue in the day. So take it when it suits you, try it, welcome to the worlds largest clinical trial, depression and anxiety..... If you we're sleeping before, definitely speak to the doctor, as sleep is the single most important thing to help you recover. The med's might not be right for you but it is early to say. Typically you have to give them 4 weeks, unless there are serious reactions.. Sleeping medications will assist but most are addictive, if you don't need them, don't take them. Have a good routine before bed and don't play video games or other stimulating things. Good luck

#3 LilyRain

LilyRain

Community Assistant

ID: 59007

• DF Support
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Hi Laketree80,

I am not a medical professional, but I can tell you what I've experienced. I have had much more vivid dreams while on fluoxetine, and for awhile I was having trouble sleeping nights, I'd get up at least 1-2 times a night, when normally I slept like a log. This happened a few months after starting to take fluoxetine and lasted for maybe a month. I still have more vivid dreams than I used to, but I don't wake up anymore.

I know some people benefit better by taking fluoxetine either in the morning or night, so that may help you. Make sure you stay in contact with your doctor!

Posted Image

#4 laketree80

laketree80

ID: 108622

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

Thank you too you both!    It sounds like you both think it may take a month (or 4 weeks) to adjust to medication.  This is exactly why I'm hesitant in taking Trazodone - an antidepressant in and of itself - in addition to fluoxetine only 2 weeks in.  I will of course consult my doctor but he seems unfazed by my concern with being on too much medication.  I'm not sure if that should fill me with confidence (that he's so certain this is what to do) or uneasiness (that he is not receptive to my concerns).  Undoubtedly this is complicated by the fact that one needs to sleep.  

I am wondering too if anyone here has taken Trazodone with Fluoxetine or any prozac type.  

Thanks!

#5 Gamexland

Gamexland

ID: 68131

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

Hi,

(1) Has anyone else exprienced this problem? >>> Yes I had this problem.

(1a) If so, how long did it last? >>> every night!

(1b) Did you need medication to help regain sleeping habits? >>> Trazodone will helping you for sleep and Sexual Dysfunction in future.

(2) Might a simple Melatonin supplement help?

(3) Does it matter what time of day I take Fluoxetine? >>> Morning is best time but you can eat Fluoxetin before lunch.Fluoxetine will reduce your sleep in night.so you need to add a Benzodiazepine (Alprazolam,Clonazepam &...) or other Meds same as Trazodone.

• Gamexland likes this

I have: General Anxiety Disorder - Depression - Narcolepsy - excesive daytime sleepness - Migraine - Tic disorder  

My currently meds:  Sertraline 200mg(Zoloft)  ,  Quetiapine 25mg(Seroquel)  ,  Propranolol 100mg(Generic)  

My previous meds: Citalopram , Alprazolam , Depakene(sodium valproate) , Haloperidol , Perphenazine , Fluoxetine , Clomipramine , Nortriptyline , Amitriptyline , Venlafaxine , Clonazepam , Dihydroergotamine , Properanolol , Buspirone , Chlordiazepoxide   & more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users