Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Ritalin Dosage ? How Much Is Too Much ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tamer

Tamer

ID: 86047

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Hello everyone,

I have been on Ritalin for almost two years now, and the thing is... I had a depression relapse few months ago and I have been prescribed Seroquel XR and Remeron 30mg ( both of them are extremely sedative drugs ) and even though I only take them at bedtime I still feel so tired drugged up and my mind is just numbed the next day.

it's known that the maximum dose shouldn't exceed 60 mg and that's why my Dr refused to increase the dose, but I just don't feel like it's enough and I still have no energy even when I take 60 mg and I really really need to concentrate because I have finals coming up and I DO have ADD.

does anyone have similar experience ( being on Ritalin AND sedative medications at the same time ) ?

Thanks in advance 

#2 K Abbey

K Abbey

Just Registered

ID: 108778

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

This is the first time I've ever posted on ANY forum, (I usually just read) but wanted to reply about Ritilin.  I've been on every AD there is. And had ECT.  And by the way, I HATED Remeron, tried it years ago.  I felt so groggy.  Until two weeks ago, I was on Lamictal 400 mgs and Cymbalta 120 mgs, plus valium as needed. I only use it at night for sleep, now.  But it wasn't shaking off the depression.  My doc added Ritalin, and my results were amazing.

I'm now taking 80 mgs of Ritilin a day, 20 mgs every 3 hours.  Since it has such quick results we were able to play around with the doses right away and come up with this.  There ARE docs who are willing to go beyond the "guidelines."  I take it every 3 hours because that let's another one ramp up before the last one wears off.  So I stay pretty steady.

It probably helps that I have a long-standing relationship with this p-doc, and he trusts me to give honest feedback.  When I told him how well I was doing on the 80 mgs a day, he said, "Oh, 80 isn't bad at all."

So, how much is too much?  I don't know, but this is my experience. 

• pensiveone likes this

#3 Mr Wright

Mr Wright

ID: 111556

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

Where and how to buy Ritalin ? And do I need a prescription to buy Ritalin legally, for example, online? Help, pls

Edited by Mr Wright, 03 June 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#4 Velthir

Velthir

Moderator - Technician

ID: 54801

• Admin Team-Moderator
  • 511 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

Where and how to buy Ritalin ? And do I need a prescription to buy Ritalin legally, for example, online? Help, pls

Ritalin in the US and Europe is a scheduled medication, possession of it without a prescription or trying to buy it anywhere but a legit pharmacy is punishable by prison and/or fines. The same goes for the other stimulants such as Adderall and Desoxyn. You'll have to see a doctor if you need them for ADHD, if you want them for depression you'd have to try regular antidepressants first.

Edited by Velthir, 03 June 2013 - 01:43 PM.

• Mr Wright likes this

Dx: Bipolar II/III (antidepressant induced mixed states/hypomania)
Rx: 400mg lamotrigine (Lamictal), 800 mg/day of carbamazepine (Tegretol XR), 600 mg/day Zyban (bupropion/Wellbutrin SR)
Failed meds: Cymbalta, citalopram (Celexa), agomelatine (Valdoxan), lofepramine, mirtazapine (Remeron), sertraline (Zoloft), aripiprazole (Abilify), quetiapine (Seroquel), trimipramine (Surmontil)
Partial-success: nortriptyline/Pamelor, moclobemide (Aurorix/Manerix), reboxetine

goldenvelope1jr.gif

#5 Mr Wright

Mr Wright

ID: 111556

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

Thanks for your reply, Velthir :)

#6 O Morgan

O Morgan

ID: 111996

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

Velthir is wright, you need a prescription in all cases. 

Ritalin (Methylphenidate) is a prescription stimulant commonly used to treat Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD, and Attention-deficit disorder, or ADD. The drug is seeing early use to treat cancer-related fatigue.

#7 O Morgan

O Morgan

ID: 111996

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:48 PM

a few months ago my friend told me about meds-easy.com, website where she bought Ritalin, I look it thru and find out they offer there different Ritalin doses. Can it help??

#8 pensiveone

pensiveone

Advanced Member

ID: 22723

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

My doc just gave me an RX for RItalin, because I am in the process of taking major exams. I don't know what to think--it really seemed to help me focus, but I found that I couldn't get to sleep last night. I'm still jittery (and I only took 2 pills yesterday). 

Does it get easier to get to sleep? 

"I dwell in possibility." Emily D.

"I tried to drown my sorrows, but the b*stards learned how to swim, and now I am overwhelmed by this decent and good feeling." Frida Kahlo

#9 Achelois

Achelois

ID: 50989

• Just Registered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:09 AM

Hello everyone,

I have been on Ritalin for almost two years now, and the thing is... I had a depression relapse few months ago and I have been prescribed Seroquel XR and Remeron 30mg ( both of them are extremely sedative drugs ) and even though I only take them at bedtime I still feel so tired drugged up and my mind is just numbed the next day.

it's known that the maximum dose shouldn't exceed 60 mg and that's why my Dr refused to increase the dose, but I just don't feel like it's enough and I still have no energy even when I take 60 mg and I really really need to concentrate because I have finals coming up and I DO have ADD.

does anyone have similar experience ( being on Ritalin AND sedative medications at the same time ) ?

Thanks in advance 

I am on Ritalin instant release and Cloazepam for anxiety...

In my country the maximum legal dosage for adults is 90 mg and not 60 mg....

You can even get a special permission for 120mg a day in rare cases (need to get a permit from the department of health....usually it's given to people whose weight requires higher dosage).

I am on 60mg a day and yes, I also feel it's not enough...I am supposed to take them 3 times a day and since my metabolism is very fast, the 20mg hardly last for 3 hours....

On the other hand, taking more than 60mg a day makes the doctor look at you like at some addict....and they do not increase the dosages that easily....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users