Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Zoloft and Alcohol

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
95 replies to this topic

#41 Barebones

Barebones

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:44 AM

i drink when on anti depressants i think only thing i had a problem with is losing my memory. i havent had any probs other than that and i used to be on this medication and was on it for 6 months which then started not to work. maybe it was due to my drinking.

#42 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:12 PM

Hi barebones,

Yes, it is entirely possible that the drinking may have been the reason the meds quit working. SSRI's occupy the same neural receptor sites on the brain as alcohol, so if you drink the alcohol is taking up space that your meds need in order to function. In other words, they can't find a parking place because alcohol has taken them all. Also, since alcohol is a depressant, it's a double whammy - alcohol depresses you AND keeps your meds from working also. I can tell a difference if I drink even a little, which is why I quit. Well, I had to!

Take care,
Dewayne
I'm not a complete *****. Some parts are missing.
Please don't drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
If life is a joke, then I don't get it.
I'm just mentally ill. It's the rest of the world that's crazy.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#43 DoctorDre

DoctorDre

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 03:44 PM

I am on Zoloft for just over 3 weeks now and I notice a big change in how alcohol effects me. It seems to be very weak - the complete opposite of what most people are describing here. I hardly get intoxicated with it anymore. I hardly feel a buzz and I can walk and talk and concentrate just fine as if the alochol is just bypassing my system and I am immune to it. Very strange...

#44 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 07:25 PM

Doctordre,

PLEASE be careful, and be sure to mention this to your doc. I know meds affect everyone differently, but still, I like to tell my doc when I notice something out of the ordinary like that.

I certainly hope you'll avoid the alcohol, especially since it's affecting you differently. I would definitely want to talk to a professional and find out why on this one! I'm not trying to scare you, I just know that I would report something like this to my doc immediately, just to be safe.

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

#45 DoctorDre

DoctorDre

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:51 PM

DeeBear,

Thanks for your concern. I am not an alcoholic. I drink maybe 2-3 times a week.

Sadly I have no money to see a shrink. I got a cheap doctor just to prescribe me the Zoloft. So I am pretty much on my own and thanks the internet I can learn myself.

What I have learned is that combining Zoloft and Alcohol results in unpredictable behavior, so in my case that would be sober...

Thanks.

Dr. Dre

Doctordre,

PLEASE be careful, and be sure to mention this to your doc. I know meds affect everyone differently, but still, I like to tell my doc when I notice something out of the ordinary like that.

I certainly hope you'll avoid the alcohol, especially since it's affecting you differently. I would definitely want to talk to a professional and find out why on this one! I'm not trying to scare you, I just know that I would report something like this to my doc immediately, just to be safe.

Take care,
Dewayne

#46 christalonely

christalonely

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 04:52 PM

I have drank only once while taking zoloft and that was only 3 drinks and I never notice any difference. But I have stopped drinking for awhile becasue my doc tells me that it will make me more depressed. I don't need that.

- Christa Lynn

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always gotten.

#47 croseo

croseo

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:53 PM

I have refused to drink at all since being on zoloft and now i know why. I went to a alcohol tasting this weekend and only had a few tastes, but enough that I started to feel the effects (yup....I'm a light weight.) Either way I think that just having that small amount of alcohol (in combination with a negative event that also occurred this weekend) affected my brain chemistry just enough to throw me off. I had been feeling pretty up until this weekend.....no more alcohol for me....not even a taste :hearts: !

#48 flippingout

flippingout

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:27 AM

i hardly drink, but went out with a co-worker last night. after 1 alcohol i was slurring, couldn't concentrate or walk straight. i've never had this problem before with drinking.. but the zoloft definately seemed to intensify everything.
Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.
-Family Guy

#49 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:25 PM

That's how it affects me too - and I avoid it because I'm clumsy enough to begin with. But really, it's best not to drink while on SSRI's. The alcohol occupies the receptor sites your meds work on, so the prevent the meds from working, while at the same time act as a depressant. It's a double whammy.

And for me, if I drink, I get depressed for a couple of days afterwards. That is the main reason I don't drink any more.

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

#50 wmmeyer

wmmeyer

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:08 AM

OK, here's a thought that just occured to me: If the achohol and the meds need to access the same brain receptors in order to have an effect, and if the alcohol gets to the receptors first then it prevents the meds from reaching them, is it possible for the reverse to happen? If the receptors are occupied by the meds then the alchohol can't get it, giving the null effect described by DoctorDre?

I'm not advocating alcohol use, just curious. When I started the Sertraline and read the patient advisories, I determined that I was done being a social drinker. The wife and I stopped at our local sports bar over the weekend, had a cheeseburger and diet coke and watched a little football on the big screen. It just didn't seem the same without a alcohol, but it was do-able.
Bill

I hope YOU are Well, Happy, Safe, and Loved.... And Rock On!!!

#51 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:59 PM

Hmm, interesting - to be honest, I don't know. For me, the few times I've tried it, I became too drowsy to even continue drinking, and then was depressed the next couple of days. Of course, alcohol affects everyone differently, just like meds.....

But I still think from everything I've read it's not a good idea to mix the two.

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

#52 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

• Premium Platinum Member
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:45 PM

OK, here's a thought that just occured to me: If the achohol and the meds need to access the same brain receptors in order to have an effect, and if the alcohol gets to the receptors first then it prevents the meds from reaching them, is it possible for the reverse to happen? If the receptors are occupied by the meds then the alchohol can't get it, giving the null effect described by DoctorDre?
I'm not advocating alcohol use, just curious. When I started the Sertraline and read the patient advisories, I determined that I was done being a social drinker. The wife and I stopped at our local sports bar over the weekend, had a cheeseburger and diet coke and watched a little football on the big screen. It just didn't seem the same without a alcohol, but it was do-able.

Good question,

The fact is that meds or alcohol don't remain on the receptor sites very long. There is a constant exchange and when alcohol and meds are competing for receptor sites, alcohol wins. It is also a fact that and maybe because to this, that alcohol raises the levels of serotonin that is excreted by the body. So, in the long run, drinking reduces our serotonin levels and counteracts our meds, a double reason for not drinking when either depressed or when taking meds.

Peace and Love... wayne

* * * NOTE: Administration/Moderator Team members are not Mental Health or Medical Professionals. * * *

(if you have any questions about your care or treatment, please contact your Doctor or Therapist for advice,
those of us here on DepressionForums are here as your personal peer support system.)

* * * * * If you feel you have an emergency, please click on one of the hotlines below. * * * * *

Posted ImagePosted Image U.S. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image U.K. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image International HotlinesPosted Image

" Angels fly because they take themselves lightly "

#53 wmmeyer

wmmeyer

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:22 AM

The fact is that meds or alcohol don't remain on the receptor sites very long. There is a constant exchange and when alcohol and meds are competing for receptor sites, alcohol wins. It is also a fact that and maybe because to this, that alcohol raises the levels of serotonin that is excreted by the body.

Thanks for that info, Lambvet. I'm new to all this and trying to figure out how everything works.
Bill

I hope YOU are Well, Happy, Safe, and Loved.... And Rock On!!!

#54 jeffster84

jeffster84

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:12 PM

Let this story be a lesson to all of you. I didn't drink for the past 5 months as my recovery started going well. I had the odd bad day but my life was changed dramatically and for the better.
4 nights ago I went drinking with friends as a sort of christmas night out.

well i drank a few beers (not too many) and all was fine. Then afterwards I had one glass of alcohol and I got the worse headache I have ever got in my life. I got home took some painkillers, drank a lot of water and went to bed. I started to feel an all too familiar feeling creep in.

The next morning, along with the hangover I was severely depressed and anxious. Thinking it would pass as the day went on, I went about my business. The anxiety and depression got worse and worse over the next few days to the point that I was severely nauseous and dizzy.

This is not the first time this has happened to me. It happened to me a few years ago when I was on Zoloft and drank. I'm feeling a little bit better now but it was definitely not worth it.

If you are on Zoloft DO NOT DRINK. No exceptions!!!
  • smithci likes this
If a pencil rolls, is it still stationary?

#55 christalonely

christalonely

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:25 PM

Let this story be a lesson to all of you. I didn't drink for the past 5 months as my recovery started going well. I had the odd bad day but my life was changed dramatically and for the better.

well i drank a few beers (not too many) and all was fine. Then afterwards I had one glass of alcohol and I got the worse headache I have ever got in my life. I got home took some painkillers, drank a lot of water and went to bed. I started to feel an all too familiar feeling creep in.

The next morning, along with the hangover I was severely depressed and anxious. Thinking it would pass as the day went on, I went about my business. The anxiety and depression got worse and worse over the next few days to the point that I was severely nauseous and dizzy.

This is not the first time this has happened to me. It happened to me a few years ago when I was on Zoloft and drank. I'm feeling a little bit better now but it was definitely not worth it.

I totally agree... Zoloft + Drinking = hell for a few days...so not worth it!!!!

- Christa Lynn

#56 proloz

proloz

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:33 PM

I totally agree... Zoloft + Drinking = hell for a few days...so not worth it!!!!

Wow I'm glad I quit drinking years ago before I had to get on Zoloft......My mom is on Paxil and drinks every now and then at holidays, not a lot but enough to get tipsy with no ill effects.....

Back when I drank though I drank a LOT, and it was probably hiding the depression.....

#57 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for sharing this with us Jeffster, and I totally agree - it's not worth it. I learned the hard way myself.

Take care guys,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

#58 Tribulus

Tribulus

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:05 AM

wow i cant believe this thread is still going! its been over a year since i started this. so much has happened since than. after i posted that, i stupidly kept drinking, turning into an all day every day thing. that same month i went into a crazy sex binge (had unprotected sex with 4 different girls in the same night at one point) but finally around november 23rd of last year i met a girl who eventually fell in love with. anyway my drinking binge continued and has caused huge amounts of problems in my life and relationship. i eventually got off zoloft due to the unavailability of funds to keep my supply going (since i was spending most of my money on alcohol at bars or in stores) and slowly tapered off the alcohol. but not until recently. yes i have been on a year long drinking binge. the longest i stayed sober was about 2 weeks. im sober now and have gotten back on zoloft, and i know this time i can not touch alcohol, especially not while taking zoloft. it brings out the beast in me. the girl i fell in love with and i live together now and have been for several months. we are actually celebrating our 1 year anniversary tonight since we officially became a couple 1 month after we met (nov 23rd 06). anyway...my point is, i highly recommend staying away from alcohol if you take zoloft. this has been the craziest year of my life by far and if it wasnt for this girl i met who helped me get sober, god knows where i would of ended up.

#59 christalonely

christalonely

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 08:21 PM

wow i cant believe this thread is still going! its been over a year since i started this. so much has happened since than. after i posted that, i stupidly kept drinking, turning into an all day every day thing. that same month i went into a crazy sex binge (had unprotected sex with 4 different girls in the same night at one point) but finally around november 23rd of last year i met a girl who eventually fell in love with. anyway my drinking binge continued and has caused huge amounts of problems in my life and relationship. i eventually got off zoloft due to the unavailability of funds to keep my supply going (since i was spending most of my money on alcohol at bars or in stores) and slowly tapered off the alcohol. but not until recently. yes i have been on a year long drinking binge. the longest i stayed sober was about 2 weeks. im sober now and have gotten back on zoloft, and i know this time i can not touch alcohol, especially not while taking zoloft. it brings out the beast in me. the girl i fell in love with and i live together now and have been for several months. we are actually celebrating our 1 year anniversary tonight since we officially became a couple 1 month after we met (nov 23rd 06). anyway...my point is, i highly recommend staying away from alcohol if you take zoloft. this has been the craziest year of my life by far and if it wasnt for this girl i met who helped me get sober, god knows where i would of ended up.

So happy things are going so much better for you :)

- Christa Lynn

#60 mriegs

mriegs

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:30 PM

Wow, that is a tough story at Tribulus tells. However, there is a good take away from it. I think it is very important to emphasize using extreme caution when drinking while taking zoloft. I have been taking 50 mg per day for 2 months now. I used to be a pretty solid drinker. Mostly one night a week but on that night I would definitely get a good heater going. I am taking zoloft for anxiety and really haven't drank since my first episode. The first time I drank I got intoxicated very quickly. At least 2 X as fast as normal while consuming less alcohol. I too became a Dr. Jeckle/Hide person. Never became violent but very abusive verbally and just very much a different person. I blacked out during certain points as well and crashed by 7 pm. Also I demostrated one of the side effects I read about and that is having an overwhelming craving to drink massive amounts of alcohol. Theory is it has something to do with blood sugar where your body keeps telling you to drink more.

Needless to say it was very scary and had a lot of apologizing to do the next day while eating a healthy dose of humble pie. I upset a lot of people including my wife. I guess the lesson was to follow the warnings. Use extreme caution because, at least for me, it isn't worth the risk.

#61 thecol

thecol

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:01 PM

Ive been on zoloft for almost 2 months now, approaching my second week at 100mg. Ive drank a couple times since Ive started it and both times ive blacked out quickly. But this past time, I was blacked out before it was even sun down and instantly turned violent. From what im told it sounds like i was posessed by satan, attacking everybody and foaming at the mouth. I eventually ended up cracking my head open on a railroad tie when I tripped over my own feet while slap boxing a co worker. I have 13 staples in my head now and i lost an incredible amount of blood. I couldnt STOP drinking until monday because when I woke up the hangovers were so severe that I needed to drink to steady out which led to me continuing drinking. I used to drink everyday after i turned 21, im 24 now and i stopped drinking almost a year ago but have relapsed several times. Im not sure if Im blacking out quick because my tolerance is down or because of the zoloft. Obviously its because i was drinking too much i understand that part but to black out so fast i dont understand that. So let this be a warning to everyone on zoloft. DONT DRINK.

I have a drinking problem to begin with.. inthe family and stuff. my problem was only that i when i go out i get to drunk and have trouble stopping when im to drunk.. i only drink once a week about... at a bar or whatever... ive been off the zoloft and i feel like it helped a bit with the drinking, but now i still have that binging blackout problem.. i take supplemens for it now called kudzu and essential fatty acids that help...

#62 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:48 PM

Good luck with beating the drinking, thecol. As you may know, kudzu is a filter here in the South, which was originally imported from China to help with erosion. Instead, it has become the plant that ate the South. But it is an old remedy in China, and allegedly a tea made from the leaves will cause a person to get sick if they try to drink alcohol. Whatever the case, I hope you find something that helps!

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

#63 nova

nova

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:41 AM

Interesting reading these, a bit scary. Kids at my university don't do much besides drink ><

#64 Joanna

Joanna

• 7,272 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:58 AM

Interesting reading these, a bit scary. Kids at my university don't do much besides drink ><

Hi nova,

I'm really glad if reading about other people's bad experiences with Zoloft and alcohol has been an eye-opener, especially if it prevents you from experiencing these things yourself.

Wishing you all the best with Zoloft, nova!

Take care.

Joanna
Posted ImagePosted Image Joanna

#65 leptonhead

leptonhead

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:00 PM

i have never had problems with drinking, neither on zoloft nor paroxetine. I don't drink much however, only alcohol and alcohol. these black out stories are kinda scary..

#66 Tannor

Tannor

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:14 PM

i am horribly guilty of drinking a few times a week since i have been on zoloft , but since my pdoc added topamax i have had much less desire to drink which is a good thing!

i highly recommend not drinking and I guess i lucked out and had no bad interactionsm but i do not think everyone is always lucky, but when i did drink most times i just had 2-3 drinks

Edited by Tannor, 29 January 2008 - 11:15 PM.

#67 allypoo

allypoo

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:10 AM

This topic is actually how I found these forums, and the stories of blacking out scared the crap out of me the night my friend bought a lot of alcohol for us to drink.

Before I started taking Zoloft, I was prone to violent, hysterical blackouts. The suicide attempt that put me into multiple therapies was a direct result from one of these blackouts. Drinking made me lose a lot of friends, as well as a lot of respect from those around me.

Other times, I was completely fine. I would drink enough to get decently drunk, stop and be sociable and normal. It's a complete tossup, which is why I rarely drink normally.

Last weekend, I drank (against my best judgment). I was extremely cautious after reading the horror stories here, and fortunately I had a good drinking night. I don't expect me to be so lucky every time, though, so I'm not going to drink again until I feel confident that I won't do something stupid.

#68 Umu

Umu

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:56 PM

I was on Zoloft for 11 years. During that time, I did some drinking, but never noticed the effects of the alcohol differing from before I was on the Z. (Obviously, everyone has their own unique chemistry.)

#69 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:30 PM

For me, it reduced my tolerance of alcohol to the point that I'd get sleepy from just one drink. I've heard lots of horror stories, enough to scare me off of mixing alcohol with zoloft!

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

#70 alexplantman

alexplantman

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:26 PM

This is my first post on here.... hello all..

I have been on zoloft for 3 months, just changed to lexapro this week... I can tell you that zoloft and alcohol didn't mix well :( ... Before I was very tolerant to drinking, happy hour, parties, etc... just normal social dirnking on the heavy side.... I was always in controll..

.....post zoloft? It's like 2 drinks give me the effect of 4-6 drinks :( .... I figures it out about 60 days into the meds, as I wasn't reacting normal. My g/f said I was like Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde , I turned like a completely different person :( ...

I also have blacked out a few times ... The first time? I ended up in bed (was at the pool) in my condo sleeping and to this day I can NOT remember how the he.l l I got there. My g/f even said I called her and told her a bunch of crap and some other female got on the phone, etc..... scary :(

Edited by DeeBear, 21 February 2008 - 12:29 AM.
Removed Possible Trigger

#71 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:13 PM

Hello Alex! :hearts:

You bring up a point that cannot be stressed enough - DO NOT DRINK WHILE ON ADs!!!

Thanks for sharing your story.

:bump:

-Bean
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. Love.
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#72 darthia

darthia

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:43 PM

I would think that it would seem obvious to not drink heavily when on a mind altering drug.... :hearts:

#73 RockingHard

RockingHard

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:40 AM

On 100mg of zoloft and 150mg of wellbutrin.....never had any issues at all with alcohol. Usually drink on friday or saturday nights..

#74 Joanna

Joanna

• 7,272 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:50 PM

On 100mg of zoloft and 150mg of wellbutrin.....never had any issues at all with alcohol. Usually drink on friday or saturday nights..

Hi RockingHard,

Some people have disastrous results with anti-depressants and alcohol. I'm glad this hasn't happened to you, but it is very important that people are aware of the potential dangers of combining ADs and alcohol.

Not to mention that alcohol is a known depressant.

For people intending to mix ADs and alcohol, be careful!

Best wishes,

Joanna

#75 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:26 PM

Hi RockingHard,

There's also the fact that alcohol blocks the receptor sites that meds act on - if you're drinking, you're preventing them from working. For me, the few times I've drank while on meds I was depressed for several days until the meds could start "doing their thing" again. Not to mention the fact that the alcohol hit extremely hard and almost knocked me out..... NOT a good thing at all.

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

#76 kirkwuk

kirkwuk

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:45 PM

I have been depressed for some time, my meds only seem to be working 1 out of 7 days at the moment, and I expect to be discontinuing if this continues for another month or so (I've been on them almost four months now).

I went out to see a friends band play and had the most exciting time for absolutely ages. I drank a couple of pints of alcohol - the buzz started before I was drinking though. I was in such a good mood and stopped when I recognised I was getting some anxiety. I have new skills in recognising when anxiety starts and I did so and ceased. I met some new people too. For someone who has had ZERO positive thoughts in over a week now, this really helped me.

I don't promote the use of alcohol to anyone, but for someone who has been so miserable for a long time now, and stayed away from people, alcohol gave me the confidence to feel amongst the living and give me something to feel good about. Even if it is temporary.

Edited by kirkwuk, 05 April 2008 - 05:47 PM.

Beating depression since 2007

#77 Joanna

Joanna

• 7,272 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:04 PM

I have been depressed for some time, my meds only seem to be working 1 out of 7 days at the moment, and I expect to be discontinuing if this continues for another month or so (I've been on them almost four months now).

I went out to see a friends band play and had the most exciting time for absolutely ages. I drank a couple of pints of alcohol - the buzz started before I was drinking though. I was in such a good mood and stopped when I recognised I was getting some anxiety. I have new skills in recognising when anxiety starts and I did so and ceased. I met some new people too. For someone who has had ZERO positive thoughts in over a week now, this really helped me.

I don't promote the use of alcohol to anyone, but for someone who has been so miserable for a long time now, and stayed away from people, alcohol gave me the confidence to feel amongst the living and give me something to feel good about. Even if it is temporary.

Hi :hearts: (((((((((((((((Kirkwuk))))))))))) :flowers:

I'm really glad you had a good evening. I know you've been feeling very bad and it's great that you went out and enjoyed yourself. As you know, DF doesn't condone drinking alcohol while on meds......But I do think it's wonderful that you went out and had a good time. I wish you many more of those! :hearts:

Take care.

Love,

Joanna

#78 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:17 PM

Hi kirkwuk,

Of course, we can't condone using alcohol, either. I am glad you felt better if only for a short time, but I hope you won't fall into the trap of leaning on alcohol. I've been there, done that, myself.

Please don't discontinue your meds without discussing it with your doc first. I'm sure you know to taper off, but still, talking with your doc about how they're making you feel may help point him/her in the right direction and might help you find another med/treatment regimen that would help. I know my current doc zeroed in on a couple of meds to try quickly when I went to her and told her how I felt on my previous meds, and zoloft was one of them.

I do hope you feel better soon, I really hate feeling like that and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

#79 kirkwuk

kirkwuk

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:22 AM

Not to hijack the thread in a surge of self-pity...

I know to speak to my doctor about my meds. I've had the best weekend in some time though; Part of that is because I forced myself to go out. Part of that is because I got slightly drunk.

As usual I just keep going with the meds. If a couple of drinks makes me feel more confident and socialise more at weekends, I'm ok with that.
Beating depression since 2007

#80 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:02 PM

Hi kirk,

Just be careful, okay? I'm not trying to preach, but in my experience it's definitely not a good idea to mix meds and alcohol. Of course, we can't stop you if you want to, but at the same time, we're here to try and discourage anyone who might be reading this from taking that risk.

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users