Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tribulus

Zoloft and Alcohol

96 posts in this topic

Posted

My doctor had told me it was OK to drink in moderation when I was on Zoloft the first time around -- I actually overdid it a few times but didn't have any more negative side effects than before I took it.

Guess we all have different levels of sensitivities - so best not to drink -- unless you get advice from your dr. it's OK.

You might also be interested in:

Posted

My doctor had told me it was OK to drink in moderation when I was on Zoloft the first time around -- I actually overdid it a few times but didn't have any more negative side effects than before I took it.

Guess we all have different levels of sensitivities - so best not to drink -- unless you get advice from your dr. it's OK.

I've been on 50 mg of zoloft for 3 months now, and i haven't noticed any effects from drinking a few beers and being on zoloft. I was prescribed zoloft because of post dramatic stress disorder. I was in a bad auto accident, and couldn't get over it. I literally went from being completely unmotivated, quit my job, lost my wife. Started zoloft, became much more motivated, started my own construction business, and am doing well. I still have the same amout of beers I had before on zoloft, and the medication has definately helped out alot. I guess it all depends on the person and circumstances.

Posted (edited)

I was drunk this past weekend and have been taking Zoloft for 3 weeks. I didn't really notice anything out of the ordinary, but I suppose like sheepwoman said, that it has effected the medication in a way that I have just not noticed. I've been on many meds and have used alcohol at some point during all of them, but I suppose like anything else that the effects of alcohol on the drug differ from person to person. Looking back I definitely should have stayed away from alcohol, and will from now on just in case. I will probably still have the occasional alcohol tbh, but there will be no more getting drunk for me. It just sounds too risky.

Edited by Socrates

Posted

I know this sounds really silly, but it's amazing how much you want something when you cant have it :)

I wouldn't dream of drinking on my meds but I think I will miss the "choice" of drinking or not on a night out! I am not a heavy drinker at all, a couple of years ago I decided I would prefer to keep control of what I did on my nights out so I practically stopped. I think I realised that I had a bit of a problem with alcohol and my way of dealing with it was to regain the control and when people asked I would say "I have chosen not to drink"

Now I've started my meds and I am missing not being able to choose not to drink! When I said that to my boyfriend he laughed as I rarely drink! But last Friday and Saturday night I went out and drank both nights (note: started my meds on Monday) I think I did this as my "Final Supper" before the drought!

It's strange how the mind works.

Thanks to those who posted their experiences about drinking on meds and the effects it can have. Your experiences and helping me cope with what is ahead of me.

Posted

I drank a couple of times while on Zoloft and thankfully nothing happened. Or so I thought..One night I was drinking a alcohol cooler with a friend and all of a sudden I got really hot and couldn't cool myself down. It was hot outside but I was inside and it wasn't that hot. I eventually had to take a cool shower to feel better.

Now I won't drink anything on my meds. :hearts:

Posted

Hey I've been on Zoloft 100mg for over 12 months and it does effect me when I drink alcohol. I find myself, even with small amounts of alcohol, to have blackouts or memory loss only compared to what I used to be able to drink. So my advice is DEFINATELY DON"T DRINK!!!! I found myself not able to stop and the same things that everyone else has said about being groggy and depressed for a couple of days after it. Who needs a 3 day hangover. I don't so I'm trying to stay away from alcohol whereever possible.

Posted

Thank you for sharing that, onthemend - I've never had blackouts, but I get very sleepy, very fast, so every time I've tried I wound up stopping. I agree, it's way too dangerous to mix SSRI's with alcohol, though some people still swear it doesn't affect them.

Take care,

Dewayne

Posted

i have to agree. I have been on celexa, prozac, effexor and wellbuterin and now zoloft, and on all those meds I have some very bad experiences after drinking. All of the SSRI's I would get extreemly oblivious to teh fact that I had had too much. I had blackouts on 2 occasions while on celexa that i still haventl lived down. While i was on efexxor i had a batchelors party that i was expected to drink at and couldnt help myself. I ended up in hospital for that on a drip from the most excruciating headache and puking episode i can remember.

When i was not on medication , I can drink and ger drunk like any normal person without any blackouts etc. I have to agree with all the manufacturers warnings , that if you drink you do so at your own risk !

Stay strong - live strong

- S

Posted

Hi every one...I'm 22 years old and I'm a social drinker, every weekend I go out with friends to bars and clubs. I know its stupid to mix alcohol with med. but I was wondering if anybody has had vomiting issues with zoloft and alcohol. for example (this happened a couple times) I take 100mg's at night and noticed if I have a few drinks like 2 or three, go home take the med, I'll wake up feeling sick and usually vomit, then feel fine and go back to bed. So because of that I try and skip my dose till morning. But this last weekend I did get drunk at a bar, skiped my dose and the next day took it around 2pm...felt a little hung over but overall fine...then at like midnight I got sick to my stomach and threw up...Has anybody had this problem before? do you think I'm getting sick because I'm skipping my dose or because theres some alcohol in my system?

Also to add to the topic: I've never passed out because of the med, maybe taking the pill at night helps that?

I've also noticed a depressed and anxious feelings after drinking but usually feel fine after a day...

Posted

My Dr didn't have a problem when she started me on meds and when asked if I drank, I said yeah I do social hour every Wed with friends. Dr didn't have a problem with it, but I sure did. I have really messed myself up a few times and now.....my thinking is Why would I want to do that to myself? No, thanks. I am not missing anything and if I am sick enough to need the meds, why screw them up?

I just tell people, no thanks, I can't drink with my medications. They usually say they are sorry. Well, they can be sorry, but I am not!

Really, what am I missing out on, putting poison in my body?

Posted

For me, the effects of alcohol were greatly exagerated to the point that after drinking one or two I'd feel really, really, out of it. There was never the chance to get drunk.

I've never gotten sick, but then again it only took me a couple of tries to figure out drinking and meds are a horrible idea. I'd much rather not have to spend the next couple of days dragging myself out of the pit, so I don't drink anymore.

And I am surprised a Doc wouldn't have a problem with mixing meds and alcohol - I thought it was universally held to be a bad combination (although I, like many people, had to find out the hard way.)

Take care,

Dewayne

Posted

I'm on Zoloft and I do have the occasional drink. It is only a alcohol or two and only once or twice a week. I have had no negative effects from this but am cautious. I take it easy on the booze because of interactions with the meds, but also because of the depressant effect to the alcohol itself. I don't recommend drinking on ANY medication, and even if you're not on meds, alcohol won't help your depression. Just realize that if you are drinking on meds that there can be serious risks. Do the research and decide for yourself if the buzz is worth the risks.

Posted

Yeah, for me it's definitely a bad idea as well.....

Even if I am careful I always feel more depressed the next day or so - so I avoid alcohol altogether. Given the choice between taking meds to feel better and alcohol to make me feel worse, it's a no brainer for me.......

Take care,

Dewayne

Posted

Ive been on zoloft for almost 2 months now, approaching my second week at 100mg. Ive drank a couple times since Ive started it and both times ive blacked out quickly. But this past time, I was blacked out before it was even sun down and instantly turned violent. From what im told it sounds like i was posessed by satan, attacking everybody and foaming at the mouth. I eventually ended up cracking my head open on a railroad tie when I tripped over my own feet while slap boxing a co worker. I have 13 staples in my head now and i lost an incredible amount of blood. I couldnt STOP drinking until monday because when I woke up the hangovers were so severe that I needed to drink to steady out which led to me continuing drinking. I used to drink everyday after i turned 21, im 24 now and i stopped drinking almost a year ago but have relapsed several times. Im not sure if Im blacking out quick because my tolerance is down or because of the zoloft. Obviously its because i was drinking too much i understand that part but to black out so fast i dont understand that. So let this be a warning to everyone on zoloft. DONT DRINK.

I have been on 100mg for a long time, never had any issues myself while drinking..

Posted

I've never been able to drink while on SSRI's - I get very drowsy, very quickly, so I just don't drink. I've heard others say it doesn't affect them, but it definitely does me, so I tell everyone to be careful! The potential side effects of the combo are dangerous.

Take care,

Dewayne

Posted

i drink when on anti depressants i think only thing i had a problem with is losing my memory. i havent had any probs other than that and i used to be on this medication and was on it for 6 months which then started not to work. maybe it was due to my drinking.

Posted

Hi barebones,

Yes, it is entirely possible that the drinking may have been the reason the meds quit working. SSRI's occupy the same neural receptor sites on the brain as alcohol, so if you drink the alcohol is taking up space that your meds need in order to function. In other words, they can't find a parking place because alcohol has taken them all. Also, since alcohol is a depressant, it's a double whammy - alcohol depresses you AND keeps your meds from working also. I can tell a difference if I drink even a little, which is why I quit. Well, I had to!

Take care,

Dewayne

Posted

I am on Zoloft for just over 3 weeks now and I notice a big change in how alcohol effects me. It seems to be very weak - the complete opposite of what most people are describing here. I hardly get intoxicated with it anymore. I hardly feel a buzz and I can walk and talk and concentrate just fine as if the alochol is just bypassing my system and I am immune to it. Very strange...

Posted

Doctordre,

PLEASE be careful, and be sure to mention this to your doc. I know meds affect everyone differently, but still, I like to tell my doc when I notice something out of the ordinary like that.

I certainly hope you'll avoid the alcohol, especially since it's affecting you differently. I would definitely want to talk to a professional and find out why on this one! I'm not trying to scare you, I just know that I would report something like this to my doc immediately, just to be safe.

Take care,

Dewayne

Posted

DeeBear,

Thanks for your concern. I am not an alcoholic. I drink maybe 2-3 times a week.

Sadly I have no money to see a shrink. I got a cheap doctor just to prescribe me the Zoloft. So I am pretty much on my own and thanks the internet I can learn myself.

What I have learned is that combining Zoloft and Alcohol results in unpredictable behavior, so in my case that would be sober...

Thanks.

Dr. Dre

Doctordre,

PLEASE be careful, and be sure to mention this to your doc. I know meds affect everyone differently, but still, I like to tell my doc when I notice something out of the ordinary like that.

I certainly hope you'll avoid the alcohol, especially since it's affecting you differently. I would definitely want to talk to a professional and find out why on this one! I'm not trying to scare you, I just know that I would report something like this to my doc immediately, just to be safe.

Take care,

Dewayne

Posted

I have drank only once while taking zoloft and that was only 3 drinks and I never notice any difference. But I have stopped drinking for awhile becasue my doc tells me that it will make me more depressed. I don't need that.

Posted

I have refused to drink at all since being on zoloft and now i know why. I went to a alcohol tasting this weekend and only had a few tastes, but enough that I started to feel the effects (yup....I'm a light weight.) Either way I think that just having that small amount of alcohol (in combination with a negative event that also occurred this weekend) affected my brain chemistry just enough to throw me off. I had been feeling pretty up until this weekend.....no more alcohol for me....not even a taste :hearts: !

Posted

i hardly drink, but went out with a co-worker last night. after 1 alcohol i was slurring, couldn't concentrate or walk straight. i've never had this problem before with drinking.. but the zoloft definately seemed to intensify everything.

Posted

That's how it affects me too - and I avoid it because I'm clumsy enough to begin with. But really, it's best not to drink while on SSRI's. The alcohol occupies the receptor sites your meds work on, so the prevent the meds from working, while at the same time act as a depressant. It's a double whammy.

And for me, if I drink, I get depressed for a couple of days afterwards. That is the main reason I don't drink any more.

Take care,

Dewayne

Posted

OK, here's a thought that just occured to me: If the achohol and the meds need to access the same brain receptors in order to have an effect, and if the alcohol gets to the receptors first then it prevents the meds from reaching them, is it possible for the reverse to happen? If the receptors are occupied by the meds then the alchohol can't get it, giving the null effect described by DoctorDre?

I'm not advocating alcohol use, just curious. When I started the Sertraline and read the patient advisories, I determined that I was done being a social drinker. The wife and I stopped at our local sports bar over the weekend, had a cheeseburger and diet coke and watched a little football on the big screen. It just didn't seem the same without a alcohol, but it was do-able.