Jump to content

  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.


Psychiatrist Doesnt Fill Out Short Term Disability Papers?

  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stilltryin


    Just Registered

    ID: 99602

  • Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

Hi. I was recently hospitalized for attempted suicide and was diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety. When I was discharged I was referred to an outpatient care center. I've been off of work for several weeks now and just had my first appointment with my psychiatrist. The psychiatrist filled out my FMLA paperwork which was approved which was a requirement before applying for short term disability. Now that I've received confirmation that my FMLA was approved I started to investigate short term disability and found out that I need my psychiatrist to fill out more paperwork. I called the out patient care center to find general information needed for the forms and to let them know that they would be receiving paperwork that my psychiatrist needed to fill out. They told me that the psychiatrist doesn't do disability papers and I will need to get a regular medical Dr. for that. How is this possible if I'm off of work due to psychiatric issues and this is the Dr. that is treating me? During our session the psychiatrist stated that I wasn't ready to go back to work yet, didn't want to put me in same position and wanted to get me a bit stabilized on meds first etc... But they won't do the disability papers? How am I supposed to live then? I don't even have a regular Dr. They set up an appointment for a regular Dr. but it's not for over a month! And that Doctor's office wouldn't fill out the FMLA paperwork because it was due to Psychiatric reasons and I have a psychiatrist for that, so I'm sure they won't fill out short term disability papers. Meanwhile I'll be living on the street. I feel so lost with all this. I'm afraid to pressure the psychiatrist thinking he will just say I need to go back to work now or something. Please advise. :(


#2 LaurynJcat



    ID: 62596

  • Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,193 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canada

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:07 PM


So sorry to hear you're having to go through this - it's no fun trying to deal with this crap on top of the depression.

What country do you live in? That might help us give you an appropriate answer because most DF members only know the rules for the country they live in. In my country (Canada), some psychiatrists do refuse to fill out paperwork, but usually only the onerous 9-page form for provincial disability. But usually the short-term disability, they will fill out. My psychiatrist did. The psychiatrist usually gets paid for this paperwork by your employer.

I would suggest contacting your local mental-health organization for help, since they usually have advocates who help people with this kind of thing. I am in a union so my union helped me apply for short-term disability when I needed it.

I would also ask the psychiatrist directly how you're supposed to get the form filled out when the MD doesn't do it. If the psychiatrist says you're ready to go back to work, say that you're not and explain the symptoms you're still having and how they would prevent you from doing your job. The pdocs are basically taking your word for the fact you're depressed anyway. I know it's worrying but try to have some trust -- a major depression takes months to recover from. I was off work for six months and then did a graduated return.

Best wishes to you,
"Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here."
- William Ehrmann, from "Desiderata."  
"Nothing you ever did or that was ever done to you could touch, even in the slightest, the radiant essence of who you are."
- Ekhart Tolle, from _The Power of Now_.    Posted Image   Posted Image

#3 stilltryin


    Just Registered

    ID: 99602

  • Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm in the US. It's just so frustrating/mind boggling. The psychiatrist is the one saying I'm not ready to go back to work, but will not fill out the paperwork? You would think that they would be well versed in these situations and know what needs to be done and by who. Think part of the whole frustration is that after talking with the psychiatrist really thought he was going to help. If not feeling better exactly, I thought at least there was some hope that he would help me recover, that some time in the future I might feel better. This blanket policy that they don't fill out short term disability papers just makes me feel like they don't really care about helping me or my welfare.

#4 Sheepwoman



    ID: 637

  • Premium Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,201 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Santa Rosa CA

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

Usually a regular MD handles short term disability claims whether medical or psychiatric. I would definitely discuss this with the doc you will be seeing. Bring up the fact that the pdoc will not fill out the required forms. In the meantime, use what sick and vacation time you have to cover your time off sofar. You may want to contact your HR person and relay the difficulty you are having. What state are you in? If CA, then the regular doc would fill out the paperwork for SDI.
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#5 MusicalTruth01


    Just Registered

    ID: 108791

  • Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

Hi everyone, I am new on here. I am Evan. Thanks for having me : )


    So I am going through just about the exact same thing as described below in Washington State and it's Friday and have to have the paperwork filled out and sent to my work by Tuesday basically. I was thinking seeing another doctor at my same family practice I visit that has a good psychiatrist reference perhaps that is willing to fill out the paperwork? I am really running out of options which as mentioned is making the stress and depression return.

Any ideas or thoughts would be much appreciated and welcome, thanks everyone.


P.S. I hope to share my coping tips I have picked up along the way as well and to pick up more while I am on here. 



#6 bradleyshaz



    ID: 109323

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

i'm sorry to hear you are going through this

my psychatrist filled out boh my fmla and my disability paperwork

i wish i had some advice on what to do

i have had a ton of problems with my short term disability claims worker not faxing the info needed to the doctor resulting in extra doctors appointments

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users