Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Doctors warned of Effexor overdose risk

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Gonzo

Gonzo

ID: 1040

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:45 AM

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Doctors should limit the number of Effexor pills they prescribe patients to reduce the risk of overdose, the antidepressant's manufacturer and federal health officials said Wednesday.

There have been reports of deaths and serious injuries in patients who overdosed on Effexor, also called venlafaxine, predominantly when taken with alcohol and/or other drugs, Wyeth and the Food and Drug Administration said.

To limit the risk of overdose, doctors should prescribe the "smallest quantity of capsules consistent with good patient management," Wyeth wrote in a letter to doctors dated Oct. 17 and released Wednesday by the FDA.

Overdosing on any antidepressant can be fatal. But there may be a greater risk of deadly overdose associated with Effexor than with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors -- antidepressants like Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil and Lexapro, Wyeth said. The risk may be less than that with older antidepressants called tricyclics, it added.

Wyeth, based in Madison, N.J., said it was unclear whether the increased risk of deadly overdose can be attributed to Effexor or to the characteristics of patients treated with the drug.
Brian
[We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.]
-Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr
Posted Image Posted Image

#2 firelizardee

firelizardee

Lifetime Platinum Mermber

ID: 21

• Premium Platinum Member
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:23 AM

I know from expericence that taking an overdose of Efexor and mixing it with alcohol or other drugs can cause seizures.
Take care
Firelizardee

"Eat a live frog before breakfast and nothing worse will happen to you all day"
"Only Robinson Crusoe can get things done by Friday!"

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

UK help for people who are suicidal

I am not a medical professional, when I reply to posts I do so basing my reply on personal experience or a wish to support the poster.

#3 Goldstar

Goldstar

Advanced Member

ID: 8354

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 10:33 AM

I just overdosed on effexor. I only took 8 though, so I didn't have any serious injuries.
'There is no substitute for inner peace and happiness'

#4 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 07:30 AM

what size were they?
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

I am not a medical professional, when I reply to posts I do so basing my reply on personal experience or a wish to support the poster.

#5 ithomas

ithomas

ID: 10613

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 05:53 PM

I took 7 at once, once when I was on Effexor. Boy did I feel sick and shaky, but no seizure or anything.

#6 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 07:52 AM

taking more than your normal dose is not recommended. If you do take more you should at least phone your dr and see what she recommends.

Eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#7 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

ID: 532

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 06:09 PM

Hi, I am on 20mg of paxil and I complained about being tired all day so he gave me 75mg of effexor to take as well. I am not sure if it is from the medication or not but I am a little shaky and the back of my head really hurts and I am taking short breaths so with that is anxiety. Perhaps I should not be on this med combo?
The Guy. - Love is patient, love is kind, love never fails.

#8 shiver

shiver

ID: 27356

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 07:53 PM

I know from experience it definitely can make you sicker than others.
I overdosed in the past on over 20 of Zoloft and it did not a thing to me. Not tired or anything. I took 4 extra Effexor and I was nausious, fainting and really dizzy.

#9 illusion

illusion

Advanced Member

ID: 31282

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:51 AM

my doctor just gave me a whole package of 37,5 mg and 2 packages of 75 mg and everything i can think about is overdosing myself with it :hearts:

#10 randy1953

randy1953

Just Registered

ID: 38542

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:48 AM

my doctor just gave me a whole package of 37,5 mg and 2 packages of 75 mg and everything i can think about is overdosing myself with it :hearts:

I was on effexor a few years ago. My issue is I like drugs and if you take enough of the stuff you will get a feeling like taking a hit of ectasy.
This is probabaly the reason you see people overdosing so much they feel good and want to feel higher.

Now fast forward I just stopped a month ago from getting off oral morphine which is not a easy one to kick at 1000 mg a day but I did it.
My doc put me on Celiexa but made me feel like crap after 3 weeks so now I am talking 75mg E XR per day it is just my 2nd day but I can feel something not good or bad just something a bit differnt. I am taking Trazadone for sleep was on 100mg but not cutting down to 50 mg at night. It also should boost up the serotonin a bit so we will see. The ony SSRI that worrked perfect for me was Serazone but the darn FDA took it off the market. I have tried most all of them so I hope this XR version workks.
Regards,
Randy

#11 illusion

illusion

Advanced Member

ID: 31282

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:14 PM

I was on effexor a few years ago. My issue is I like drugs and if you take enough of the stuff you will get a feeling like taking a hit of ectasy.
This is probabaly the reason you see people overdosing so much they feel good and want to feel higher.

I did overdose on it, but only once. I threw the rest away and never went back to my doc. I think i can never take meds, because like you I like drugs as well :/

#12 eagle2phoenix

eagle2phoenix

Just Registered

ID: 34987

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:05 AM

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Doctors should limit the number of Effexor pills they prescribe patients to reduce the risk of overdose, the antidepressant's manufacturer and federal health officials said Wednesday.

There have been reports of deaths and serious injuries in patients who overdosed on Effexor, also called venlafaxine, predominantly when taken with alcohol and/or other drugs, Wyeth and the Food and Drug Administration said.

To limit the risk of overdose, doctors should prescribe the "smallest quantity of capsules consistent with good patient management," Wyeth wrote in a letter to doctors dated Oct. 17 and released Wednesday by the FDA.

Overdosing on any antidepressant can be fatal. But there may be a greater risk of deadly overdose associated with Effexor than with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors -- antidepressants like Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil and Lexapro, Wyeth said. The risk may be less than that with older antidepressants called tricyclics, it added.

Wyeth, based in Madison, N.J., said it was unclear whether the increased risk of deadly overdose can be attributed to Effexor or to the characteristics of patients treated with the drug.

I am on 300mg, as prescribed by my shrink and have been on it since March this year. I am always sleepy and suffer short term memory loss as well as changes in my eyesight. My optician says I need to change my spectacles. I understand from a friend that Malaysian doctors tend to over prescribe drugs. What should I do now?

Caroline
Stillness Speaks

#13 Lori123

Lori123

Advanced Member

ID: 46868

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:48 PM

I'm on 375 mg/day, and don't think I've had any side effects. At least I didn't. Now my doctor thinks that all the neurological problems I'm having could be related to the XR. Problem is, my neurologist knows the dosage I'm on, so I would think he would have suggested that before anything else if he thought it was a possibility.

I wonder how much of this stuff you actually have to take in order to overdose. I mean, if I took an entire month's worth, and drank a bottle of alcohol, I can imagine getting pretty sick, but I can't imagine it would be enough to OD on. Otherwise it wouldn't be prescribed at this amount, right?

#14 jewelz74

jewelz74

ID: 62532

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:43 PM

I tried taking Effexor a couple weeks ago. I was instructed to take 1 3.75 mg pill, twice a day (which is 75mgs a day). On my first day I took one pill at 10 am and the second pill at 10pm. I took my anxiety pill (which helps me sleep and was fine to take with the Effexor) at about 1:30 to go to bed. I woke up 4hrs later and the instant thought in my head was that "I wanted to die". I got SO frightened that I had to calm myself down. I kept thinking to myself "This isn't good. This isn't cool." I ended up in the ER where they told me I had a reaction and to stop taking it. Terrible medicine for me and to think they start you off at 75mgs and I was allowed to go up to 6 pills a day? That is INSANE. They don't even start you off on that high of a dose of Paxil or Celexa. To me, that seems like a shock to the system, especially starting a new med like that but... everyone is different. I just know that I will NEVER take Effexor again!:uh-uh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users