Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Storm On The Way Actually Improves My Mood

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sanda

Sanda

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:32 AM

Sitting here in south Jersey in the path of the dreaded Frankenstorm, Hurricane Sandy, as the wind starts to whip things up, I realize my depression has lifted. I think that's the case anytime mother Nature takes control & makes it clear she is more powerful than we tiny humans. I don't know why a big storm makes me feel better. Anyone else? Not sure why... maybe facing 80+ mph winds puts things in perspective for me... maybe it's just the distraction effect. Maybe it's because I most likely won't be able to get to work tomorrow!

Anyway just wanted to share & wondered if anyone else experienced a boost from the super storm effect...
  • Hope4theBest likes this

#2 eliza_12

eliza_12

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

Me too. I detest the cloudy gray days, but like them just as much. Its strange to many people.

Stay safe with the Frankenstorm. : )

#3 Sheldonnn

Sheldonnn

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

I also kinda like it. I like it when the sky is gray or stormy. I like how it makes everyone else a little less happy. And there's always the possibility that some sort of conflict brought on by the storm will make my existence feel a bit more meaningful. Like if my family needs me to help clean up debris or something else I might be needed for. And I've been seeing stuff about somehow getting 1 or 2 feet of snow around where I live, so they might need me to shovel snow! After all, dad's back is messed up and mom's clumsy and weighty. This young fella just might be needed for something!

#4 apple_bloom

apple_bloom

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 679 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

I'm also sitting and waiting for Sandy in CT. I wonder if it's going to turn out as bad as they seem to think.
"I think hell is something you carry around with you. Not somewhere you go." -- Neil Gaiman

#5 DarthNoc

DarthNoc

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

Looks like it's doing the opposite of most hurricanes. Normally their outer edge swings by us.

That said, I actually like rainy days over sunny ones. Sunny days make me feel like I have to, DO something. Which, is usually what I don't want to do.

Stormy weather like that is overkill however. I'm not a power outage fan.

#6 alpheus

alpheus

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:29 AM

Lol, I for one am definitely in a better mood when things are getting insane/dangerous/scary. For example, I may be getting a job as a pizza delivery driver in a rather crime ridden town, and the idea of being robbed, especially at gunpoint, excites me instead of worrying me. They tell me its part of the addict brain I have, it gets off on danger and is drawn to it.

#7 Seabeach

Seabeach

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 712 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:37 AM

We have just had Sandy pass by us. Yesterday night was very windy and today crazy wind and rain. When these things happen and I am at home I feel wonderful. Safe, warm and snug. However today I had to go out into the storm and drive through the mess to get to work. I am always frightened when it rains while I am at work. Not sure why but it's sure to be a horrible day for me. And I have an appointment after work so won't get home till after dark. Going to be tough for someone already dealing with rapid onset depessive episode.

You can always find me wherever there is Sun, Surf and Sand : )

#8 Hope4theBest

Hope4theBest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

We are still having bad rain, wind, cold. Im more inland though.

Yeah a storm never worries me for some reason . Its nature.

On another forum people are freaking. I always like rain, esp. if my mood matches it.
  • starla1979 likes this
IF YOU ARE LONELY WHEN YOU ARE ALONE , THEN YOU ARE IN BAD COMPANY
~Jean Paul Sartre

#9 starla1979

starla1979

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

I was terrified of storms as a kid after a tornado hit here, but i got past it and now i also enjoy a thunderstorm and rain if it matches my mood (usually does too ) and I don't have to work. I'm just not used to this cold weather though. The changing of seasons affects my mood more than a storm. I guess I mean the changes in sunlight and temperature

Edited by phalseuphoria, 29 October 2012 - 02:48 PM.

• Hope4theBest likes this

#10 Sheldonnn

Sheldonnn

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

Well, that 2 feet of snow actually came. It was so heavy, it felt like I was shoveling gallon jugs of water. It stopped being fun after the first hour or two that I spent out there. And being stuck in a 45 degree house for days on end without heat or electricity got me a little creative. I'm making a papercraft me now and I put stove grates over some candles (the kind with 3 wicks) to heat up water!

#11 silenthunder

silenthunder

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

I like storms especially with lightning/thunder - although I suspect that probably has to do with the amount of metal i listen to :)

#12 Brokenme

Brokenme

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

I like storms and thunder too:) It drowns out the clutter in my mind a bit. It sucks if I have to go out though..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users