Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Zoloft to Cymbalta

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 SD1959

SD1959

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:37 AM

Who has used Zoloft and now use Cymbalta? How would you compare and contrast the two?
Thanks, Sd

#2 rtlopez

rtlopez

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:01 AM

Who has used Zoloft and now use Cymbalta? How would you compare and contrast the two?
Thanks, Sd

Hello,

I used Zoloft and packed on 60 lbs. within 8 months! I don't know if it was ALL of Zoloft's "fault" as I also take Klonopin (don't know if that affects weight gain at all?) and I don't have the best diet either. It seemed like during the last couple of months on Zoloft it just went "kaput." I have been on Cymbalta now for about 8 months. As far as the weight issue is concerned, it has been weight neutral. I haven't gained more weight nor have I lost any. However, I'm not making any extra effort to lose it either. This may be a bit of too much information but Cymbalta did seem to have an affect on my digestive system and I had a lot of constipation. But I counteracted that w/drinking lots of water and that is no longer an issue. Cymbalta really seems to help me more than Zoloft did w/my anxiety-especially my OCD. Hope this helps somewhat.

Edited by rtlopez, 23 October 2006 - 11:02 AM.

#3 ladyhornsby1

ladyhornsby1

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 03:15 PM

Thanks, Sd

I was on Zoloft (on/off) for a period of about 1 year. I suffer (and I do mean SUFFER) from PMDD so I have been told by my doctor that I don't have to take medicine everyday., only a couple weeks before my cycle every month. However, I noticed that with the Zoloft almost immediately I felt like a zombie. I had terrible nightmares and when I did go to sleep ( which was very difficult) I couldn't stay asleep all night long. Plus, I had hand tremors to the point that I couldn't even write. I continued to take them because at least I didn't feel like I was going to start screaming and yelling at everyone around me for basically nothing (i.e., looking at me, etc...). I didn't have panic attacks and I didn't feel like I was going crazy. I eventually stopped taking them becaue I started to hate feeling that way more than my normal "crazy" way. I just recently started taking Cymbalta (today). My doctor gave me 30mg and told me to take them for a week and them to start taking the 60mg. Now that I've found this wonderful site I'll try to keep you updated as to how it is affecting me.

#4 SD1959

SD1959

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:19 PM

Thanks, Sd

I was on Zoloft (on/off) for a period of about 1 year. I suffer (and I do mean SUFFER) from PMDD so I have been told by my doctor that I don't have to take medicine everyday., only a couple weeks before my cycle every month. However, I noticed that with the Zoloft almost immediately I felt like a zombie. I had terrible nightmares and when I did go to sleep ( which was very difficult) I couldn't stay asleep all night long. Plus, I had hand tremors to the point that I couldn't even write. I continued to take them because at least I didn't feel like I was going to start screaming and yelling at everyone around me for basically nothing (i.e., looking at me, etc...). I didn't have panic attacks and I didn't feel like I was going crazy. I eventually stopped taking them becaue I started to hate feeling that way more than my normal "crazy" way. I just recently started taking Cymbalta (today). My doctor gave me 30mg and told me to take them for a week and them to start taking the 60mg. Now that I've found this wonderful site I'll try to keep you updated as to how it is affecting me.

I use Welbutrin to counteract the zombie effect though I get these yawns that momentarily make me feel like I'm ready to pass out. They also make my body tremor. As for the hands (and at times when weight training arms and legs), I'm only 2 1/2 weeks in (75 mgs/day, going up by 25 per week) and the tremors are really becoming an issue. I see the Dr. in a couple weeks. Trying to stay the course until then but D***, the relief so far does not equal the sides.

#5 ladyhornsby1

ladyhornsby1

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:46 PM

Thanks, Sd

So, today is my second day on the Cymbalta. Last night I tossed and turned all night long, but I actually stayed asleep (for the most part). Now I have a really bad headache. I took two tylenol, so I'm hoping that that will hep. Besides that I feel okay. I'm trying to not focus on negative thoughts so much.
I use Welbutrin to counteract the zombie effect though I get these yawns that momentarily make me feel like I'm ready to pass out. They also make my body tremor. As for the hands (and at times when weight training arms and legs), I'm only 2 1/2 weeks in (75 mgs/day, going up by 25 per week) and the tremors are really becoming an issue. I see the Dr. in a couple weeks. Trying to stay the course until then but D***, the relief so far does not equal the sides.

#6 SD1959

SD1959

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:00 AM

Bump for more resonses!!!

#7 shady_atl

shady_atl

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:03 AM

Bump for more resonses!!!

How is this going for you? I am currently on 200 mg per day of Zoloft + Dexedrine for my ADHD. The Zoloft isn't working anymore, and is making me waaaay to tired. My doctor suggested changing to Cymbalta - my first day on it should be tomorrow. How has the transition between the two drugs been for you? Did you abruptly discontinue using Zoloft, and start using Cymbalta right away, or did you ease into the Cymbalta while still taking a lower dose of Zoloft?

Any advice / experience would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

#8 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:10 PM

I was on Lexapro 10mg. for 15 mo., and transitioned to Cymbalta 30mg, twice a day for about a week while taking half the Lexapro, then went up to Cymbalta 60mg. the second week, real fast!!

I just got the side effects from Cymbalta, like the stomach thing that I took otc antacids for. I felt like I had the flu when I went to see the doc, two weeks later and she put me on Acidx. There are better meds otc than this.

Anyhow, the symptoms stayed down and I'm back at my normal weight. I can sleep at night, but I can't do the Cymbalta before bedtime, or I'll be up for hours. This med is time-released. Don't let the cap melt in your mouth, either. Real foul and will burn your throat. In other words, be sure you have something to drink when you take it. Some find that drinking lots of water helps with the stomach thing. My advice is to not take it on an empty stomach if you have a sensitive stomach.

Let us know how you're doing!

Jackie :hearts:
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#9 SD1959

SD1959

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:41 PM

I was on Lexapro 10mg. for 15 mo., and transitioned to Cymbalta 30mg, twice a day for about a week while taking half the Lexapro, then went up to Cymbalta 60mg. the second week, real fast!!

I just got the side effects from Cymbalta, like the stomach thing that I took otc antacids for. I felt like I had the flu when I went to see the doc, two weeks later and she put me on Acidx. There are better meds otc than this.

Anyhow, the symptoms stayed down and I'm back at my normal weight. I can sleep at night, but I can't do the Cymbalta before bedtime, or I'll be up for hours. This med is time-released. Don't let the cap melt in your mouth, either. Real foul and will burn your throat. In other words, be sure you have something to drink when you take it. Some find that drinking lots of water helps with the stomach thing. My advice is to not take it on an empty stomach if you have a sensitive stomach.

Let us know how you're doing!

Jackie :hearts:

Cymbalta has been much better than Zoloft. I take it at night as day makes me too lethargic. My sleep sucked before Cymbalta but has been no worse, sometimes better. Occassionally need a little help crashing out. Some yawns and body tremors though better than Zoloft. Sex issues are pretty non-existant. Anxiety is much better. Every so often I need 1/2 or a whole Klonipin. The anxiety is moreso in my body than head!! I'm using 200mg generic Wellbutrin SR. I'm supposed to be at 300 but don't want to potentiaqlly push the anxiety for yet. Doc told me I can go up tp 120mg Cymbalta over time if need be. Been at 60mgs for three weeks and may go up if/when the mild sides subside. Short term memmory is a bit compromised. Annoying but not horrendous. That's about all I can tell you for now.
Sd

#10 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:29 PM

Give it a couple more weeks. I've been on it for a couple of years and it really takes the depression and anxiety down. I can sleep at night for the most part. It has a way of helping me kick the anxious thoughts out, but does chemically restrain my feelings to the point that I can't cry, which is probably a good thing, as I'm working and able to take care of a husband and three kids without going ballsitic, especially with the holidays approaching.

I also used a benzo while the stress was so high that I was in the panic mode. Hopefully, you won't need this in the future and get good coverage for this symptom.

Love, Jackie
Posted Image

#11 Zoey

Zoey

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:25 PM

Was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. I've just come off of effexor and am starting on cymbalta. I have been on 60 for two weeks and I am still struggling with depression and anxiety. I am feeling discouraged. Iwas on a really high dose of effexor and had a hard time coming off it, the doctor wants me to hang in for two more weeks before we change anything. I am surviving off of clonopin. Any thoughts

#12 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:53 PM

I tapered from Lexapro to Cymbalta and had the stomach upset for a week. I started out on 30mg. for a week and went right up to 60 with no increase in side effects. I had had terrible headaches at times while on Lexapro which went away. I didn't notice an increase in anxiety or any sleep problem, but felt tired on Cymbalta and still do, at times. It's time released and the balls in the pills will burn your throat so take it with plenty of liquids and it will probably make you dry as a desert. I still have bottles of water in my van and take a drink when I'm driving. I always have something around to drink. I like this med and it's worth a dry mouth, but you need to watch this if it happens for you as it's hard on your gums and you need to drink water..... Most people will also tell you it seems to work better if you drink water during the day. It must get it through your system better, I guess. Funny how when you get people together like this, the things they say in common.

What dose are you on? It covers my anxiety at 60 and I have Gad, so that's something!

Jackie
Posted Image

#13 teesdin

teesdin

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:53 PM

Sorry if this post is in the wrong spot, but I just joined an can't start a new topic...
I just got some samples for Cymbalta, and am currently on Paxil (20mg generic - non CR). I've been on paxil for years but really need something new since this isn't working. my problem is I can't remember exactly how my doctor said to go off/on from the paxil -> cymbalta.....can I overlap the two?

I've been weening myself off the paxil for about 3 weeks and am down to about 10mg now. I've had huge troubles stopping it cold turkey before (big time dizzyness, headaches, etc), but would like to get started with the cymbalta ASAP.

Does anyone know if it's ok to overlap the two for a week or so? Since (I think) cymbalta is an SSRI, maybe it'll just pick up where the paxil is lowered while I taper it off...does this sound right? Thank you, I hope everyone is well!

Karen

#14 teesdin

teesdin

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:57 PM

If there's anyone out there that could help with my question above, I'd really appreciate it as I'm waiting to start the Cymbalta. but hoping to asap :)
thank you in advance

#15 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:57 PM

I really don't know....I'm thinking if you have been weaning for 3 weeks, you can go ahead and stop paxil and start cymbalta. My dr. always has me switch right over with no weaning of any meds. Hmm....I would call your doctor's office and ask. Maybe someone else here has done that switch, but I've never taken paxil.

#16 teesdin

teesdin

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:32 PM

Ok thank you! :)
I guess it seems that most people don't even wean off the other ssri first and just overlap a bit, so since I'm already down to barely nothing, hopefully it should all be well. Thanks again. I'm anxiously awaiting trying this newer medicine.

#17 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:37 PM

It's good and I like it, but don't get discourgad if you get a little quesy the first week of taking it. If you read the other posts in the cymbalta forum, you'll see that is a normal start up side effect and will go away with time. You may not even have that at all! Can't wait to hear how it goes for you!

#18 teesdin

teesdin

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:01 AM

Ok thanks, hopefully that won't happen. I'm planning to take the first one today.....30mg I think it is, whatever the lower sample one is. That for 7 days, then 60 [I think]. I'll post my results :)
I did see lots of the queasy posts about it, so was a bit hesitant. Though I was wondering if the people who got sick on this one [for the 1st week or so] had gotten sick or tried others? If it was just Cymbalta that did it, or if other meds in this class did it to them as well. Either way, I'm still going to try it. Thanks again for the info. Hopefully this SSRI + "magic somethingrather" [forgot what it was, neoprinepherine or something?] will do more or at least something different than the other ssris. who knows :)

#19 AloneInThisWorld

AloneInThisWorld

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:50 AM

Zoloft didnt work for me have tried Cymbalta only at a minor level so far.
Zololoft didnt work but there was no side effects, cymbalta made me tired as hell just in the initial stages
Sometimes people just need someone to listen. A stranger on the other side of the world is better than nothing and no one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)