Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

How long are you supposed to take fluoxetine/prozac?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: How long are you supposed to take fluoxetine/prozac? (32 member(s) have cast votes)

How many weeks of pills were you given?

1. 1-2 weeks (3 votes [9.38%])

Percentage of vote: 9.38%

2. 3-4 weeks (8 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. 4-6 weeks (4 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. 7-8 weeks (3 votes [9.38%])

Percentage of vote: 9.38%

5. over 2 months (14 votes [43.75%])

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Jennie

Jennie

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 04:13 AM

Just trying to see if my situation is normal.
"You don't need to find answers to questions never asked of you"

a watched inbox never fills

#2 KeepingAwake

KeepingAwake

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:58 AM

Jennie,

How long were you prescribed your meds? And by whom? GP? Pdoc?

When I began my Lexapro, my doc explained that I was making a MINIMUM commitment of 9 months. Research has shown that remaining on an AD fr 6 months after your depression has lifted provides better protection against relapse than discontinuing once you start feeling better.

KA
Beliefs Aren't Etched in Stone... Unless Your Brain is Made of Rock

#3 Jennie

Jennie

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 06:00 AM

I was prescribed 2 weeks of pills (by my GP) but given 28.

#4 KeepingAwake

KeepingAwake

• Platinum Member
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 06:03 AM

Jennie,

Since Prozac can take up to 8 weeks to work, I find this very strange. Did your doc want you to begin the meds and then schedule a recheck with him to see how you were doing? I had a recehck after one month with my doc to see if Lex was going to be a good drug for me or not. Perhaps that is what is going on with you as well?

KA

#5 Jennie

Jennie

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 06:12 AM

Jennie,

Since Prozac can take up to 8 weeks to work, I find this very strange. Did your doc want you to begin the meds and then schedule a recheck with him to see how you were doing? I had a recehck after one month with my doc to see if Lex was going to be a good drug for me or not. Perhaps that is what is going on with you as well?

KA

no, a check up wasn't menationed as far as i remember
she said something about it perking me up

#6 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 06:38 AM

I think you need to call because docs will do this to see how you respond to meds before giving you a script. Perhaps, your doc wants to increase it if you are doing well. I know how confusing it is to remember what they say when you first get in there, myself. Are you sure that you're not supposed to go back so the doc can evaluate how you're feeling?

By the wa, how are you feeling? :hearts:

Jackie
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#7 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,976 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 07:31 AM

I was given a 30-day script when I started Prozac and had a follow-up appointment 2 weeks after I started it. Actually, it was monitored every 2-3 weeks initially. I took 20mg of Prozac for about 10 years before switching to something wlse. Call and make an appointment with your doc. It's just not good practice to prescribe something without any follow-up care.
Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#8 Jennie

Jennie

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:37 AM

I think you need to call because docs will do this to see how you respond to meds before giving you a script. Perhaps, your doc wants to increase it if you are doing well. I know how confusing it is to remember what they say when you first get in there, myself. Are you sure that you're not supposed to go back so the doc can evaluate how you're feeling?

By the wa, how are you feeling? :hearts:

Jackie

I swear no-one said come back later. I had the impression that it was take these 2 weeks of prozac or don't do anything (just wait it out). I have an appointment tonight so I'll let all of you know how it goes but needless to say I am very angry. Not only is prozac not sipposed to work for at least 10 days anyway but also I'm entitled to couselling sessions according to the nhs website. Another thing: prozac shouldn't be taken if you have/ or have had suicdial thoughts- why was I not asked? **rant over**

#9 KeepingAwake

KeepingAwake

• Platinum Member
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:42 AM

I swear no-one said come back later. I had the impression that it was take these 2 weeks of prozac or don't do anything (just wait it out). I have an appointment tonight so I'll let all of you know how it goes but needless to say I am very angry. Not only is prozac not sipposed to work for at least 10 days anyway but also I'm entitled to couselling sessions according to the nhs website. Another thing: prozac shouldn't be taken if you have/ or have had suicdial thoughts- why was I not asked? **rant over**

Jennie,

All AD's carry a warning regarding a possible increase in suicidal thoughts during the start-up period. This is not a common side-effect, but it can happen.

KA

#10 Guest_sarah-nicole_*

Guest_sarah-nicole_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:21 AM

Hi Jennie,

Those thoughts might actually be the reason why you were not given any more pills in the first place.

I am glld you have an appointment tonight and I hope all your questions will be answered.
It is, like others have said, going to take more than 2 weeks (it took me almost 6) before you will notice the possitive changes of your medciation.

Good luck,

SN :hearts:

#11 Jennie

Jennie

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:08 AM

All AD's carry a warning regarding a possible increase in suicidal thoughts during the start-up period. This is not a common side-effect, but it can happen.

KA

Hi Jennie,

Those thoughts might actually be the reason why you were not given any more pills in the first place.

I am glld you have an appointment tonight and I hope all your questions will be answered.
It is, like others have said, going to take more than 2 weeks (it took me almost 6) before you will notice the possitive changes of your medciation.

Good luck,

SN :hearts:

Just to make what I said clearer. I have had suicidal thought sin the past but I was NOT asked about them by the doctor.
I went to see a second doctor and basically was told off for listening to people on here and for looking the NHS website. He didn't seem to think there was any problem with being given 2 weeks prozac or what the first doctor said or did. He also said that the first doctor couldn't of given me a diagnosis without given me a form or questionnaire to fill in. So now I have that form but after being told off and also being told that even if I am 2nd priority group it will still take 6months. I have to make another appointment for someone to look at my answers on this stupid form and to be honest I am losing trust in the doctors at that surgery. any advice would be very welcome. i just hope no-one has as much trouble as I seem to be having.

#12 KeepingAwake

KeepingAwake

• Platinum Member
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:04 AM

Janie,

I am really sorry about the experience you are having with these doctors. Maybe things are different in the UK, but that answer about forms and questionnaires and the 2 week prescription don't sound right to me ( I live in the US).

And being told off because you did some research? :hearts:

I'd be having doubts about that group of doctors as well.

KA

#13 littleblackduck

littleblackduck

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:31 AM

I went to see a second doctor and basically was told off for listening to people on here and for looking the NHS website. He didn't seem to think there was any problem with being given 2 weeks prozac or what the first doctor said or did.

I am surprised that the doc was negative about you trying to learn more about the depression and the medications. I agree with other people who have said 2 weeks is not long enough to help with depression. I have been given "Samples" of Anti-Depressants that was like a 2 or 4 week supply when I started that med with a doctor to see if it was helping before we filled a real prescription. Having you on an AD for 2 weeks "Total" just doesn't sound right...

#14 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,976 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:03 AM

Some docs are so insensitive to our needs. However, none of them should be adverse to us trying to learn more about the medications prescribed or the nature of our mental illness. Basically, this second doc was wrong in saying what he did to you. His "bedside" manner was extremely in appropriate. When the docs here give out questionaires here, they are usually very short and can be filled out and evaluated before you leave the office. Were the questionaires very long? Hopefully you will be able to see the doc who gave you the Prozac before you run out. I also agree with everyone here that 2 weeks of meds will not allow it to work effectively enough to have any results for you. When you see the doc ask about this.
Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#15 Jennie

Jennie

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:59 AM

When the docs here give out questionaires here, they are usually very short and can be filled out and evaluated before you leave the office. Were the questionaires very long?

No the questionnaire was one page, it took my bf 5 mins to ask me the questions and fill in the form for me because I didn't want to. I have yet another appointment with yet another doctor to look at the form tonight and my bf should be coming with me this time. Also I have found the NHS print out I had again so will take that. I swear though if she won't help I really feel like giving up with doctors full stop. I have already threatened my bf with home birth if I ever got pregnant (in the distant future).

#16 Jennie

Jennie

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 01:43 PM

Ok so update yet again! This 3rd doctor was really good in comparison and said she would fast track my form, pass it on to the hospital (?) and then if I rang the gp's surgery today they would tell me what teh hospital had said. So i rang them and was told the form has been sent off today and the hospital will contact me within 2-3 weeks if they want to give me an appointment. I'm still in a surprisingly good mood but sometimes i don't know why i bother :hearts:

#17 KeepingAwake

KeepingAwake

• Platinum Member
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 01:46 PM

Glad that you were able to make some headway!! :hearts:

KA

#18 Cowgirlwithproblems

Cowgirlwithproblems

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:38 PM

my doctor told my I will probably take prozac for the rest of my life... *sigh* what fun. and they reasonly up my dosage of 20mg to 40 mg

Edited by Cowgirlwithproblems, 06 November 2006 - 10:41 PM.

When a door of happiness closes, another opens,
but often we look so long at the close door that we don't see
the one that has been open for us.
~Helen Keller

#19 curexcomplex

curexcomplex

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:14 PM

I've just started Proazc and I was given 2 weeks worth and told to go back so the doc can monitor my weight etc as I start them since I lost a hugly dangerous amount of weight very fast when I started my first SSRI so I was taken off them. From what I understand it is standard practice to give two weeks have a check back, then four weeks then check back and then you get your repeat script. At least thats the way it works in Scotland with all long term medications.

The only difficulty I've found with things is getting referals to a psyciatrist so I've bypassed the NHS and turned to my university councelling service instead.

Forget me nots, second thoughts, live in isloation.
Heads or tails, fairy tales in my mind. Are we we are.
Are we we are the waiting unknown.
The rage and love story of my life.
The Jesus of Suburbia is a lie.

#20 music81

music81

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:27 AM

Ok so update yet again! This 3rd doctor was really good in comparison and said she would fast track my form, pass it on to the hospital (?) and then if I rang the gp's surgery today they would tell me what teh hospital had said. So i rang them and was told the form has been sent off today and the hospital will contact me within 2-3 weeks if they want to give me an appointment. I'm still in a surprisingly good mood but sometimes i don't know why i bother :shocked:

Hi Jennie,

are you waiting to see a therapist at the hospital or whether you should take more meds? I have been on AD 2x previously, so when I went to see my GP last week, she gave me a months pills and booked a check up appoint. Thats the usual procedure that I have gone through in the last 6 yrs through 3 different surgeries. (i've moved a lot!)

i hope you get it sorted and you get some answers.!

#21 stiggysawrus

stiggysawrus

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:45 PM

I was prescribed 2 weeks of pills (by my GP) but given 28.

I know you are getting things sorted now but what happened to you is fairly standard procedure in the UK.

I was given 30 tabs but told to see the doctor in two weeks.

The questionaire is just a way of grading your level of depression,they also ask you if you are having suicidal thoughts or thinking of ******* someone else,if you answered yes to either of these thoughts you would be given priority over other patients.You shouldn't answer yes just for the sake of jumping the queue though, because you could end up being sectioned!

I was offered counselling but turned it down because I didn't think I was ready for it yet.

Hope you start feeling better soon.

Stiggy.

#22 Smileyface

Smileyface

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:51 AM

Hi,

I would just like to say you have done really well to get even a referal for a therapist. I have tried twice in the last 3 years and each time turned down without even an interview. The 3rd request came from my consultant and she was dissappointed that I was refussed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users