Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

What Do You Take To Sleep With Wellbutrin?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 gigidolce

gigidolce

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

I have been taking Ambian, which I just found out can make depression worse. I cannot sleep while taking wellbutrin, so I have heard that people mix it with other calming antidepressants. I also read newer articles about sleeping pills and death. Freaks me out :( Melitonin doesnt work for me either.

#2 yesican

yesican

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

there is an older anti-depressant called Trazadone that is sedating. I took it for a few months when I first started wellbutrin, but I found it gave me daytime sleepiness.
I have found a good mix of zopiclone (Immovane) 5mg and .5 mg of clonazepam is enough to give me a good 8 hrs of sleep.
I might have to talk to the doctor about increasing the dosages though as we have just increased the wellbutrin.

#3 LaurynJcat

LaurynJcat

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:48 PM

Hi there. I found the insomnia wore off after a week each time I increased my dose of W, so my advice would be to ride it out. I do sometimes take melatonin.
"Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here."
- William Ehrmann, from "Desiderata."  

"Nothing you ever did or that was ever done to you could touch, even in the slightest, the radiant essence of who you are."
- Ekhart Tolle, from _The Power of Now_.    Posted Image   Posted Image

#4 seli

seli

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:39 PM

I took Benadryl 50mg.

#5 bleaknovember

bleaknovember

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:59 AM

Remeron, Valium and occasionally Sublinox (sublingual ambien) but i have major insomnia issues.

#6 Ronnie

Ronnie

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

Restoril (Temazepam) but hardly does anything. Sometimes I take Trazadone and Clonazepam (low dose). There are nights where I don't have to take anything and other nights where I have to mix and match so I try and keep a good supply on hand just in case and this has seem to work throughout the years. I have never had to take more than .5mg of Klonopin infrequently. Trazadon does work great but I don't like the mild side effect of head stuffyness before it knocks you out and then intense dreams then wake up with neck tension and headaches sometimes.

Current meds: Lexapro 10mg, Wellbutrin SR 150mg 2x day

As needed: Restoril or Trazadone for sleep.  Klonopin infrequently, Nuvigil for shift work.

Previous meds I tried:  Paxil, Prozac, Cymbalta, Pristiq, Abilify, Buspar, Xanax, Depakote, Doxepin.

Nothing real can be threatened.
Nothing unreal exists.
Herein lies the peace of God.
~A Course in Miracles

#7 Pelly

Pelly

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

HAHAHAA I just posted my own topic about sleeping on this stuff ( I didn't see this). Ya, This stuff keeps me up. I ran out of the 30 mg restorils that I have to take if I want any sleep. The energy is nice, but enought already.

Chris
- Chris

#8 Nizou

Nizou

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:06 AM

I would suggest benadryl, but again the sleep problems usually disappear after a week/ten days

Try also to fill your day the maximum you can so you will be tired the night

#9 jamiew

jamiew

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

I take Trazadone and Clonazepam, I try not to use it every night. But if I don't it takes 2 hours to fall asleep and I am up every hour.
Diagnosis: Recurring Major Depression Severe with Psycotic Features
Current Meds: Abilify 10 mg, WellButrin Xl 450 mg, Viibryd 50mg, Clonazepam 1mg, Trazadone 200mg, Deplin 15mg

#10 Vauraneau

Vauraneau

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

gigidolce,

My psychiatrist put me on 150mg of Seroquel XR and it works well for me.

FYI: For some reason it takes a long time to start working. I try to take it by 6:00pm, no later than 7:00pm. I usually go to bed around midnight. If I take it any later then 7:00pm I’m very groggy in the morning.

I haven't had luck with Trazodone, Melatonin, Ambien or Lunesta. Clonazepam works but 1) I have to take a lot of it and 2) I’m not really supposed to use it anymore.

You might ask your doctor or psychiatrist opinion on Seroquel XR if you are still having trouble.

Vauraneau

#11 MrJim

MrJim

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

Mirtazapine (Remeron)

#12 Yupanqi

Yupanqi

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

Midazolam
Sometimes you eat the bear... and well, sometimes, the bear eats you.

#13 nessa

nessa

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

When I started Wellbutrin the first time, I took a TINY bit of Trazadone (half of the smallest pill) about 20 minutes before I went to bed, and that helped. I had no other side effects or anything.

When I went back on it this time, I just experimented with when I took the Wellbutrin to minimize the effects. For me, for some reason, I either have to take it before about 9am, or in the early afternoon for it to not keep me up at night. (I'm on the XR, so I guess it has something to do with the release of the drug in the body, and catching it at the right times)

#14 andiepants

andiepants

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

I've been on Wellbutrin for over 4 years and have had to take Sleepeze (diphenhydramine, an antihistamine) EVERY NIGHT. Sometimes 25mg will do and other times I need 50.

I would ride out the insomnia and see if it subsides on its own. Now I'm hooked on sleeping aids- if I go two night without I get extremely nauseated.

#15 Pelly

Pelly

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:17 AM

The Wellbutrin is probably what's keeping me up now. My doc has me switching between Restoril & Trazadone. When one wears off, switch to the other. Seems to work well (but I haven't refilled either, hence my 4:17am post).

Edited by Pelly, 04 December 2012 - 04:17 AM.

- Chris

#16 vlad007

vlad007

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

Quetiapine (Seroquel) 50mg, works very well for me.

#17 Barefootbritt

Barefootbritt

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:32 AM

Take more melatonin. It's natural and my docnsaidnto take up to 10mg. Also don't look at computer screens or a cell phone light or a tv before bed, it tricks your brain into thinking its day time.

#18 Yupanqi

Yupanqi

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

Quetiapine (Seroquel) 50mg, works very well for me.

I tried it for a couple of nights. Made me go to sleep but I was sleepy the next day.

Now I am having one dose of midazolam and half of zolpidem. Works most of the nights.

Sometimes you eat the bear... and well, sometimes, the bear eats you.

#19 beeper

beeper

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

The first week of Wellbutrin I needed to take Benadryl 50-75mg to sleep. The side effect though was TERRIBLE dry mouth, since both Wellbutrin and Benadryl will dry you out.

I'm afraid to try a sleeping pill because of the side effects. I hate feeling groggy in the morning... especially because I work early and in a highly stressful situation.

#20 silent_enigma

silent_enigma

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

trazodone for me, 100 to 200 mg

#21 RapidRay46

RapidRay46

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

Hi there. I found the insomnia wore off after a week each time I increased my dose of W, so my advice would be to ride it out. I do sometimes take melatonin.

With all this talk about not sleeping, you have better attitude to not worry somuch.

#22 Mibandibee

Mibandibee

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

I am taking 1 mg of Xanax at night (for leg cramps and teeth clenching) and wellbutrin during the day. I find that 1 mg relaxes me enough to sleep all night... sometimes I still wake up with leg cramps but I also take hylands leg cramps PM an hour after I take the Xanax. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users