Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Cymbalta and alcohol use

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Turtle2386

Turtle2386

ID: 10854

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:13 PM

alright, i just want to start out saying i am NOT an alcoholic. i actually do not drink much. i am a college student... my freshman year i lived for the weekends when we could go out and drink, but this year i really don't care about it anymore. it actually takes me ALOT of motivation to go out and go to parties or the bars on the weekends, because i do not want to drink and it is very irritating to be around drunk people while you are sober.

that said.. i would like to know what kind of effects i would have if i decided to drink one night and have been taking cymbalta? i haven't started the medication yet and i would really like to asap, but i want to hear some personal experience first.

does any one have any experience or information on cymbalta and alcohol use? i drank on the weekends while i took zoloft last year, and i seemed to get very very sick as soon as i got home.. horrible nausia, spins, etc. i know there is going to be a time where i decide to drink, and i would like to know how it is going to affect me.

i appreciate and respect everyones help/advice, but please save the "you shouldn't be drinking anyway" comments, because i really never do. i do not use alcohol to fix my problems or make me feel better. i know alcohol is a depressant. but sometimes there are nights when you would like to go out and drink with your friends. anyone who has been my age and in college knows that, and i consider myself very responsible about drinking (something i could never say before this year). i would just like to know if i am going to get sick if i decide to drink.

thanks!!!

#2 jasonmich

jasonmich

ID: 10800

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 10:15 PM

I've been taking Cymbalt for five weeks. I go out on Saturday nights and have several beers. I haven't had any trouble drinking on Cymbalta. It's not as if I drink every day. So...if you're drinking only once in a while in moderation, I think it's okay.

#3 Guest_I am Cat_*

Guest_I am Cat_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 16 October 2006 - 10:37 PM

Not only does the DF support NOT drinking alcohol while on antidepressants for obvious reasons being that:

1) it's a depressant, that can cause your anti-depressant to not work as well, possibly causing you to become suicidal

2) as the combination may cause liver damage.

3) the combination may cause seizures with some AD's

It's good that this is NOT a routine that you adhere to ((((((Pholarbear))))), I'm glad to hear that. The only advice that this site can give you is NOT to partake. It's good, sound advice... Plus, you can check out the scenery as you become the "designated driver" :bump: Don't DRINK AND DRIVE :hearts:

And ((((((Jason))))))), just because you "think" it's ok... doesn't mean it will ALWAYS be ok... Please.... consult your doctor.... get his blessing..... IF you get his blessing..... (find a new doctor) :shocked:

The DF does not endorse mixing AD's and alcohol... EVER! :shocked:

wishing you love and laughter,
Cat :blush21:

#4 silverwolfmoon

silverwolfmoon

ID: 10870

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:03 PM

Hi there, I have been on Remeron for about five years. My physiatrist told me once that I could have a alcohol or a couple glasses of alcohol every day. He did say that if it were a every day thing my med’s wouldn’t work properly. My family doc also told me it would be ok on occation. I know you are or will be on something different but the effects could be really bad depending on how much and what you drink. Last year I had gotten in the habit of drinking every other weekend. I got brave and would mix and get extremely intoxicated. I wouldn’t take my med that night as Remeron has to be taken before you go to bed. Well to make a long story short I took it one night when I though I really wasn’t in to bad a shape. I think I had drank maybe 4 alcohol coolers…………….. I woke up in a puddle of sweat, my heart was racing, and I couldn’t breath. I stayed up most of the night in this condition to afraid to go to the hospital. (I knew what they would say to me anyway) The next day I felt as if I had had a stroke or something. This has happened to me before and I know better. I guess the only reason I am telling you this is because its like a game, holding a loaded gun to your head with one bullet. Mixing the alcohol can always be fatal. You might be ok some of the time, you might not. I guess it’s up to the individual on how you tolerate your alcohol and your med’s. But having said that I will have to admit I do still drink and take chances sometime…………you are always taking a chance.
~~~SILVER WOLF~~~

#5 Turtle2386

Turtle2386

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:16 PM

Not only does the DF support NOT drinking alcohol while on antidepressants for obvious reasons being that:

1) it's a depressant, that can cause your anti-depressant to not work as well, possibly causing you to become suicidal

2) as the combination may cause liver damage.

3) the combination may cause seizures with some AD's

It's good that this is NOT a routine that you adhere to ((((((Pholarbear))))), I'm glad to hear that. The only advice that this site can give you is NOT to partake. It's good, sound advice... Plus, you can check out the scenery as you become the "designated driver" :bump: Don't DRINK AND DRIVE :hearts:

And ((((((Jason))))))), just because you "think" it's ok... doesn't mean it will ALWAYS be ok... Please.... consult your doctor.... get his blessing..... IF you get his blessing..... (find a new doctor) :shocked:

The DF does not endorse mixing AD's and alcohol... EVER! :shocked:

wishing you love and laughter,
Cat :blush21:

right, i know, but i asked the question about doing this once in awhile. i feel as though one night of drinking with an AD will not cause liver failure, and should not cause a seizure. perhaps somebody with an alcoholic standing would experience these effects. but, i don't know for sure, which is why i asked the question, hoping for a first hand account. your answer wasn't quite specific for an occasional occurance. the answers was very general, #3 didn't even specify if cymbalta was one of the ADs that can cause seizure.

i was prescribed the cymbalta for anxiety, not depression. i asked my doctor if it was safe to drink while taking this medication and he said something like "i don't want to have to tell you this/don't encourage it, but yes, it would be safe to drink". i trust his judgement, but i would also like to know how people actually taking the medication have resulted from the combination. a previous doctor of mine (who i saw while i was away at school, couldn't get home to see my regular doctor) told me it was safe to drink with zoloft - which i did, and i ended up getting sick.

again, i don't drink often but it is inevitable that is going to happen. i'm a sophomore in college - i know that doesn't mean i HAVE to drink, but i am at a large school where there are parties almost every night (every night if you really wanted one), and my guess is that 80% or more drink regularly. sometimes it is fun to mix it up once in awhile and party with your friends and have drinks. emphasis on the "sometimes". i do not use alcohol because i am sad, i use it for perhaps a celebration or just a fun night out once in awhile. try to tell me that that is not a normal activity for people to partake in. alcohol is a legal substance, and it is very unfortunate for those who abuse it and are addicted to it, but that is not me.

also... being the DD isn't always enjoying the scenery.. i don't know many people who like hanging out with inebriated people while they are sober, as well as toting them around. i've done it before.. but its not at the top of my list of things i like doing. i'm fine with being sober, and i'm able to control myself if i drink. i understand there are risks of drinking alcohol and taking an AD, but personally i believe that these risks are very minimal when you aren't a regular drinker. but that was the reason for my post.. i wanted to hear if anyone has had anything bad happen to them while they drank on cymbalta!

i am sorry if my topic was not allowed to be discussed, whoever runs these boards can remove it if they like. but what is the point of having a board dedicated to people who are able to give each other advice, stories, suggestions, ideas, etc. and then have a topic that is off limits? where else am i going to get a first hand experience on this topic.. i'm going to assume my doctor doesn't have a story for me about it, considering he didn't tell me one when i asked if it was okay to drink in the first place..

#6 KeepingAwake

KeepingAwake

ID: 6553

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:37 AM

i am sorry if my topic was not allowed to be discussed, whoever runs these boards can remove it if they like. but what is the point of having a board dedicated to people who are able to give each other advice, stories, suggestions, ideas, etc. and then have a topic that is off limits? where else am i going to get a first hand experience on this topic.. i'm going to assume my doctor doesn't have a story for me about it, considering he didn't tell me one when i asked if it was okay to drink in the first place..

pholarbear,

As Cat said, drinking with AD's is never a GOOD idea. With Cymbalta, there is a potential for liver damage when alcohol is combined with the medication. You can find this information the same way that I did--do an internet search on 'Cymbalta + alcohol'.

Drinking with Adderall, which I see you also take, is definitely not recommended either.

Yes, we encourage members to share experiences when offering support to one another. However, our mission is support and education, and sometimes there is a fine line between support and sharing poor coping mechanisms. When we all know that drinking with AD's is not recommended, sharing how much we got away with is not a way to move towards recovery.

Even if you know what other people have gotten away with, it will tell you nothing about how YOU will handle the combination of meds and aldohol. And the people who had severe effects from the combination are in all likelihood not here posting as some of them may be treating liver failure.

KA
Beliefs Aren't Etched in Stone... Unless Your Brain is Made of Rock

#7 Jkm

Jkm

ID: 28

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:02 AM

Alcohol will lower your meds ability to fend off panic attacks. If you decide to drink on Cymbalta, good luck the next day. I know that I felt like it took two days to feel better and that was on three alcohol coolers, and they are low in alcohol content. I quit. Not worth feeling like crap.

My advice is to find another set of friends who don't drink and go to bars. I did.

Jackie :hearts:
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#8 stefano

stefano

ID: 9999

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:45 PM

Alcohol will lower your meds ability to fend off panic attacks. If you decide to drink on Cymbalta, good luck the next day. I know that I felt like it took two days to feel better and that was on three alcohol coolers, and they are low in alcohol content. I quit. Not worth feeling like crap.

My advice is to find another set of friends who don't drink and go to bars. I did.

This Summer when I was on holidays I made the life of a 28 male on holidays : so disco until 7am, alcohol (in disco me and my friends usually drank a lot this summer, about 3-4 glasses of alcohol on restaurant and about 3-4 "Long Island Iced Tea" and similar cocktails with super alcoholic, and now i know this is a big mistake!!!

Don't make it, despite of this NO side effects and no problems but alcohol is a depressant and the effect of AD i think is "neutralised" by alcohol) and i Think Alcohol made the effect of Duloxetine run more slowly.

In fact when i returned to the everyday life with normal rhytm of life duloxetine made the best performance.

Edited by stefano, 17 October 2006 - 05:46 PM.

#9 Turtle2386

Turtle2386

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:49 PM

pholarbear,

As Cat said, drinking with AD's is never a GOOD idea. With Cymbalta, there is a potential for liver damage when alcohol is combined with the medication. You can find this information the same way that I did--do an internet search on 'Cymbalta + alcohol'.

Drinking with Adderall, which I see you also take, is definitely not recommended either.

Yes, we encourage members to share experiences when offering support to one another. However, our mission is support and education, and sometimes there is a fine line between support and sharing poor coping mechanisms. When we all know that drinking with AD's is not recommended, sharing how much we got away with is not a way to move towards recovery.

Even if you know what other people have gotten away with, it will tell you nothing about how YOU will handle the combination of meds and aldohol. And the people who had severe effects from the combination are in all likelihood not here posting as some of them may be treating liver failure.

KA

well in asking the question, i was looking for education on the topic. i searched cymbalta & alcohol on the internet and wasn't finding the information i wanted. i wasn't trying to "get away with" drinking, i simply wanted an answer to my question. i know you are writing to help, but i am aware that drinking could potentially cause a problem. i hoped to find some experiences from others who have had alcohol while using this medicine. i know it doesn't mean i'll react the same way that another person reacted. it was just a question. i'm sorry if i disrupted the boards by posting it, but i thought it was a valid question to ask, and was not expecting this kind of feedback.

#10 Turtle2386

Turtle2386

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:57 PM

well that wouldn't be to bad if that were the side effect i got. i don't get panic attacks, i have generalized anxiety and it is more annoying than it is interferring with my life. i take adderall also, and it seems to help with many aspects of my anxiety, but i would rather be able to live a normal live without anxiety about ridiculous things. hence wanting to start the cymbalta.

anyways.. i do have friends who don't drink. and alot of the time i spend my time with them because i just am not that into drinking. we sometimes go to the bars and stay sober, but most of the time it is a waste of time. but i'm not going to get rid of my friends who do drink, i enjoy hanging out with them when they are sober.. they aren't bad people because they choose to drink.

i just don't want to be held back by medicine if i feel like going out and drinking.

#11 Lindsay

Lindsay

Forum Super Administrator

ID: 2

• Super Administrators
  • 15,162 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:06 AM

they aren't bad people because they choose to drink.

i just don't want to be held back by medicine if i feel like going out and drinking.

No one judges here at theDF, hon. No one said people who drink are bad.

Then what is the point of taking meds?

Either a person wants to recover from their depression and/or anxiety or go deeper into their illness. Granted alcohol affects everyone differently. I can have a glass of alcohol on occasion if I choose to. But we are not talking about having a glass of occasional alcohol here in this thread, are we?
Alcohol just fuels mental illness. It's a depressant.

Have a great Wednesday y'all! :bump:

:hearts:

Be Well....

~Lindsay ღ , Forum Super Administrator
Founder, depressionforums.org

Forum Super Administrator
DF member since June 2001 goldenvelope1jr.gif  

----
"I cannot make my mark for all time...those concepts are mutually exclusive.
"Lasting effect" is a self -contradictory term.  Meaning does not exist in the future, nor do I.  
Nothing will have meaning, "ultimately."
Nothing will even mean tomorrow what it did today.  Meaning changes with the context.

My meaningfulness is in the here and now. It is enough that I may be of value to someone today.
It is enough that I make a difference now."  ~Lindsay    

Hotlines

kumanomi.gif

#12 Faylen

Faylen

ID: 10016

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:09 AM

It's a matter of risk assessment. The reason the reaction has been so strong is that the risk of damage is pretty high - and you won't know how high it was for you until it's too late and the damage is done. Some people who smoke a pack a day for 30 years won't get lung cancer. Some people who do intravenous drugs won't overdose or die from heart failure. Some people who drive recklessly and speed won't have a car accident. You just never know, but the risk is really high. Do you want to hope that you're one of the people with a superior liver, and run the risk of finding out you're not? Liver failure of any kind is not pretty, and transplants are hard to come by and not a fun procedure or aftermath. If you're truly moderate, and otherwise healthy, and lucky, you could quite possibly drink with no problem at all. However, the risk is there and very real, so think long and hard about it. I have been drinking legally since 1978, sometimes heavily, sometimes not, sometimes not at all, but haven't touched a drop in months because I don't want to take any chances. When I'm out, "sorry, I can't drink while I'm on medication" is a good out, socially, and reminds me of my goal to be mentally and physically well.

#13 kitschywoman

kitschywoman

ID: 8670

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:11 AM

I'll go out on a limb, pholarbear. I do drink while on Cymbalta, and I drank while on Celexa and Lexapro. Now I'm talking 1-2 times a month, one or two drinks max. I've had no ill effects, but I will offer the disclaimer that everyone's bodies react differently to alcohol/medications. Case in point: I've had no side effects from Cymbalta other than 1-2 days of intense anxiety in my first week of treatment and some problems with insomnia that have resolved thenselves after about 3 months. I also avoid alcohol, because that affects me more that alcohol or mixed drinks.

Everyone's different, and we're all on Cymbalta for a variety of reasons. If you're like me, you're an adult who's able to understand the risks of your actions. I also do roller derby, which carries a high risk of injury. But I've assessed the risks and I keep skating because, for me, the pleasure I derive from that activitiy outweighs the risks.

#14 Concerned Mom

Concerned Mom

Just Registered

ID: 21511

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:00 PM

alright, i just want to start out saying i am NOT an alcoholic. i actually do not drink much. i am a college student... my freshman year i lived for the weekends when we could go out and drink, but this year i really don't care about it anymore. it actually takes me ALOT of motivation to go out and go to parties or the bars on the weekends, because i do not want to drink and it is very irritating to be around drunk people while you are sober.

that said.. i would like to know what kind of effects i would have if i decided to drink one night and have been taking cymbalta? i haven't started the medication yet and i would really like to asap, but i want to hear some personal experience first.

does any one have any experience or information on cymbalta and alcohol use? i drank on the weekends while i took zoloft last year, and i seemed to get very very sick as soon as i got home.. horrible nausia, spins, etc. i know there is going to be a time where i decide to drink, and i would like to know how it is going to affect me.

i appreciate and respect everyones help/advice, but please save the "you shouldn't be drinking anyway" comments, because i really never do. i do not use alcohol to fix my problems or make me feel better. i know alcohol is a depressant. but sometimes there are nights when you would like to go out and drink with your friends. anyone who has been my age and in college knows that, and i consider myself very responsible about drinking (something i could never say before this year). i would just like to know if i am going to get sick if i decide to drink.

thanks!!!

Until a few minutes ago i was not even registered with this forum. I just happened upon your post when googling cymbalta and alcohol...

PLEASE do not drink if you are on or going on cymbalta. They do NOT mix. My 23 year old son was on cymbalta for depression...and within a couple of weeks of taking it and drinking he attempted suicide. Like you said, alcohol is a depressant. If you are on Cymbalta it is most likely for depression. Alcohol will NOT make you feel better--and mixing it with cymbalta can be deadly. My son's alcohol intake increased once he started the cymbalta. He drank until he blacked out. He never did that before....you dont know what kind of effect mixing the two will do...everyone is different. Never mind what it can do to your liver. PLEASE.....as a concerned mom, i beg you...do NOT drink while on cymbalta. Why play russian roulette??

#15 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:23 AM

Thanks for you input, Concerned Mom. I think that drinking while on meds is wrong, although docs know that people will be people and will give advice to stop at one or two. I heard that alcohol will wash all the benefits of ad's out of your system, but I don't know of any studies that support this. My thought is if you need meds to feel less depressed, keep clean and not risk putting more chemicals in your body. I know both ends of this drinking issue as I used as a way to deal with anxiety, and got depressed in the process. Alcohol isn't an option for me and my close friends drink and they don't care if I'm drinking a soda. They know how depressed and anxious I was in the past and respect me for taking care of myself to the best of my ability.........

And, I want to add that it's easier to have a black out on ads......... It doesn't take much alcohol to get into one if your on ad's.....

Jackie
Posted Image

#16 soconfused

soconfused

ID: 21981

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:47 PM

Whats the recovery time as far as meds being delaied?

#17 Efjaristos

Efjaristos

ID: 9000

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:35 AM

Alcohol + Cymbalta = Worst hangover ever

#18 jaybird

jaybird

ID: 22155

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:33 PM

I think a lot of ADs really cause your alcohol tolerance to go down. I'm a college student, and when I was in high school and not on any meds I could put away 7-8 drinks a night, easy, and not throw up. I thought I was kind of a champion. Then I started taking Lexapro, and within three weeks my tolerance was down to the point where I could not have more than 3 drinks an average night without vomiting!

It was probably a good thing that I wasn't drinking as heavily, but the problem was that I started doing it a lot because it was SO cheap for me--I could get ridiculously drunk from 3 beers.

#19 cat

cat

Advanced Member

ID: 132

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:55 AM

Hi,
Im taking 40 mgs of Cymbalta. I will never drink on Cymbalta again! I drank 5 beers in the span of 7 hours. The next day I was so sick.It was more than a hang over! Severe headache and contant throwing up. thought I was going to die! It was scary!

#20 country_girl

country_girl

ID: 22356

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:42 PM

This comes directly from the med information phamplet that came with my Cymbalta-

"Alcohol- When Cymbalta and ethanol were administered several hours apart so that peak concentrations of each would coincide, Cymbalta did not increase impairment of mental or motor skills caused by alcohol. In the Cymbalta clinical trials database, three Cymbalta treated patients had liver injury as manifested by ALT and total billirubin elevations, with evidence of obstruction. Substantial intercurrent use ethanol use was present in each of these cases, and this may have contributed to the abnormalities seen (see Precautions: Hepatotoxicity)"

"Hepatotoxicity- Cymbalta increases the risk of elevation of serum transaminase levels. Liver transaminase elevations resulted in the discontinuation of 0.4% (31/8454) of Cymbalta treated patients. In these patients, the median time to detection of the transaminase elevation was about 2 months. In controlled trials in MDD, elevations of alanine transaminase (ALT) to > 3 times the upper limit of normal occured in 0.9% (8/930) of Cymbalta treated patients..."

There is more but I don't feel like typing out 3 more paragraphs of fine print, I can barley read it myself! But the moral of the story is- no, it may not effect your motor skills anymore than the alcohol alone does, but you do risk elevated liver enzymes & liver damage. ANY medication you take, is absorbed by the Liver eventually & when you introduce alcohol, your body recognizes it as a toxin- so yes, you could potentially create damage. My other concern with Cymbalta is the side effect of "dry mouth/cotton mouth". You may end up drinking more than you had planned to "quench your thirst", putting you at further risk.

Hope this info helps!

#21 country_girl

country_girl

ID: 22356

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:10 PM

I would also like to add that you say you suffer from anxiety, not depression. Please believe me when I say depression will soon follow if you make a habit of this. I know you say it's just an occassional thing, I understand, I am 26 now- but back when I was 21-22 I was doing the college thing, partying with friends & whatnot. We've all been there, I'm not lectureing- but when they say alcohol depresses your system, that's not the only thing, it depresses your mood/stability/brain.

It wasn't until I went on a diet of little to no sugar, and absolutley no alcohol- that I finally realized that it had sunk me into a depression (alcohol). I also have ADD, didn't take aderall, but I did take concerta. I stoped takeing the ADD meds because even though they "motivated" me, it didn't stop the raceing thoughts...it really didn't cure all the symptoms. Which is why I am a little happy that I going through a bout of depression right now- because the Anti-D meds have certainley cured my ADD thoughts.

When I started meeting with a psychiatrist (she's top in my home state), she informed me that I was at high risk of substance abuse...which is true for most with ADD or ADHD, we tend to self-medicate.

#22 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 01:20 PM

People with GAD tend to self medicate, too, which is probably the best reason to stay away from Alcohol. It's a drug and it's one of the most socially acceptable forms of abuse there is....... It doesn't help when your mental health is waning and only adds more problems. Believe me!

Love, Jackie
Posted Image

#23 Trevor

Trevor

ID: 32231

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:24 PM

I think a lot of ADs really cause your alcohol tolerance to go down. I'm a college student, and when I was in high school and not on any meds I could put away 7-8 drinks a night, easy, and not throw up. I thought I was kind of a champion. Then I started taking Lexapro, and within three weeks my tolerance was down to the point where I could not have more than 3 drinks an average night without vomiting!

It was probably a good thing that I wasn't drinking as heavily, but the problem was that I started doing it a lot because it was SO cheap for me--I could get ridiculously drunk from 3 beers.

I drank 3/4 of a alcohol and was feeling just a little too anxious so I dumped the rest out. I'm not a big drinker, maybe a alcohol after mowing the lawn or a glass of alcohol with dinner. I doubt I will drink much while on this drug due to the anxious feelings it gives me.

#24 nicole84

nicole84

ID: 15376

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:57 PM

I have only just started this med 2 wks ago, and drank a bit on NYE and ended up falling asleep. From my experience it makes you alot more intoxicated alot faster. Be careful! I know I am from now on.

#25 rachellll

rachellll

Just Registered

ID: 121065

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:09 AM

I just finished my freshman year of college, and am going on one year on Cymbalta.  I drink with my friends just as much as everyone else, meaning more than 7 drinks, and am completely fine.  I've only passed out twice and gotten sick twice total all year, which is impressive for the amount i drink.  i never drank before i started Cymbalta so i don't know how it affects me in contrast.  when i first started going out only like 3 beers was enough to get me drunk but now I'm fine.  I don't get hangovers, i might get a stomach ache or slight headache if i forget to take the pill in the morning but thats it.  you should be fine, just take some time to learn your limits and make sure someone you are with understands that your on Cymbalta and it may increase the effects of alcohol just in case you need medical attention.

some things i have noticed when i drink however: I will usually get really giggly, spontaneous, excited and happy.  then i get tired and real depressed.  then i get a second swing of energy after sitting down for a while and have a lot of energy again!

everyone is different so see how it affects you.

good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users