Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Keep Hearing Wellbutrin Is Not Good For Anxiety

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dawn28

dawn28

ID: 44274

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:48 AM

I have depression and anxiety, my anxiety is pretty severe, so much so that i am afraid to take this medication and keep researching wellbutrin and seeing over and over the same statement THAT IT WONT WORK FOR ANXIETY! That it could make it worse. I am scared to take it now. Why would my doc put me on this when i am already a mess from so much anxiety? Is it true that its bad for anxiety?

#2 miko84

miko84

ID: 59186

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

Wellbutrin works for some types of anxiety - like social anxiety (it's works for my social anxiety better than any other SSRI). It's not good for all kinds of panic and other phobias - like agoraphopia etc.

Edited by miko84, 10 September 2012 - 11:31 AM.

#3 dawn28

dawn28

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:30 PM

I dont really have social anxiety, i used to. I do think people are always staring at me though and i avoid eye contact and kind of hate going out sometimes because of people. But i really just have bad anxiety all the time. I obsess over things all day. Its like my mind will not quiet down. I wonder if its okay for that? I hate this, i hate having anxiety to the point of not wanting to take something new.

#4 teddy01

teddy01

ID: 82725

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:36 PM

Personally I experience anxiety more than depression. My doctor put me on wellbutrin and it was bad, worsened my anxiety to the point where I had to stop after 9 weeks (well not just that, wellbutrin didn't work for me at all in any other category either). I quit a week ago and I am still really anxious, more so than before the drug. After reading so much about wellbutrin and anxiety I'm pretty mad at my doc for suggesting this as an option after knowing that I was seeing him primarily for anxiety and secondarily for depression caused by anxiety. I guess use at your own risk. Everyone reacts to this and other drugs differently.

#5 Jayco

Jayco

ID: 84601

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:02 PM

I have never had major problems with anxiety, but when I started taking Wellbutrin I noticed that my anxiety increased quite a bit. I felt tense and on edge. Luckily this seemed to mostly go away after being on it for a few weeks. I still feel like it has some negative effects on my anxiety though.

#6 SloStang

SloStang

ID: 52742

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:29 PM

My personal experience is that bupropion (generic Wellbutrin) hasn't greatly affected my anxiety levels, but (and this is a huge but), I was already on clonazepam when I started the bupropion. The two meds seem to work really well together.

#7 henrithecat

henrithecat

Silver Member

ID: 49919

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:45 PM

I took Wellbutrin on and off for a few years and found it increased my anxiety quite a bit, and also gave me anger issues.
I'm on a roll this time. I feel my luck could change.

#8 dawn28

dawn28

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:44 PM

Thank you all, i have decided i am not going to try it. I just have this bad feeling, if that makes sense. I am going to try to get in to see someone tomorow though and get something because i am losing it here!

#9 miko84

miko84

ID: 59186

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:49 PM

SSRI are good drugs for all kinds of anxiety.

#10 memyselfi10

memyselfi10

ID: 52949

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:49 AM

Same story for me -- increased anxiety and anger. My pdoc prescribed it as an ad-on to my main med though, for help with motivation. Wasn't worth it. I'm much happier/better now on an SSRI. They seem to love to prescribe wellbutrin though.
"I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell; I know right now you can't tell..."

("Unwell," Matchbox 20)

#11 ohmatt

ohmatt

ID: 83737

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:47 AM

Dawn, one thing you have to realize is that people on forums report the negative effects of drugs on forums like these more than the positives. But there are many positives and Wellbutrin does work for people with GAD - which you seem to be suffering from to me. (I am not a professional though, just a fellow sufferer). Please understand -- almost ALL psychopharmaceuticals can cause increased anxiety - SSRIs, SNRIs, NSRIs, TCAs (maybe not MAOIs). If you go out and search the internet for any of these medicines after you are prescribed them - you WILL be able to find stories from people who the medicine did help.

Please give the medicine a try, I know you doubt it because a Nurse Practitioner prescribed it instead of a PDoc - but for all the people that didn't have good effects, many many more have good effects. It is indicated for OCD (just guessing here), GAD (yup!), and Bipolar Depression. I really think you had a good Nurse Practitioner there.

http://www.nimh.nih....disorders.shtml

Note that Wellbutrin IS specifically listed and indicated for many types of anxiety, just not panic disorder. I feel that your GAD and OCD have driven you into a panicked state, however you don't have panic disorder. (again I am not a professional, just a fellow sufferer that has taken a lot of happy pills over the years).

Take care of yourself today Dawn, I care
- Matt -

#12 Juno

Juno

ID: 91576

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

Thank you, this is exactly what I've been looking for as I have heard many a success story about this drug but needed to know if it would be good for severe anxiety.

I'm in the process of discussing coming off Sertraline as we don't think it's working anymore and this was on my list to try, I don't think it's worth the risk trying this drug as I don't have a social phobia just severe general anxiety, reactionary ETC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users