Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Tickling The Amygdala

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Omega Man

Omega Man

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:34 AM

Anyone familiar with this technique? You can read more about it here: http://www.cookbooko...-your-amygdala/ and this post here on the forums seems to corroborate the amygdala with some types of depression: http://www.depressio...__hl__+amygdala

Interestingly, the amygdala seems to be involved in the "fight or flight" experience (aka "stress"), as well as the motivational parts of the brain (us depressed people know all about a lack of motivation!). The "tickling the amygdala" technique supposedly is a way to induce happiness, by stimulating the front of the amydala via visualization. It is also responsible for withdrawing from unpleasant situations or input.

There just seems to be quite a bit of things that involve the amydala that relate to depression.

I'm curious if anyone has heard of this technique, and if you give it a go (the first link above has a link that describes the technique) -- did you find any success with it? I have poor visualization skills and have not had any success, although I will say I've not really given it much of a chance, just a few tries here and there when I first read about it.
"I should have taken the Blue pill"

#2 Omega Man

Omega Man

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:56 AM

Seems I am late to the game on this concept:

'Please PM Member for video'

http://biopsychiatry.com/amygdala.html

http://www.dnalc.org...depression.html

Edited by Trace, 05 September 2012 - 03:06 AM.
You Tube video removed as per TOS

#3 LaurynJcat

LaurynJcat

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,937 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:07 AM

Hi Omega_Man.

The amygdala tickling sounds a bit hokey to me, but I gave it a try. No luck. It's weird that his visualizations target the amygdala rather than the septum or other brain areas more directly linked with pleasure...

I do believe in the power of biofeedback and visualization, to a degree, so this makes me want to study up on brain anatomy.

Thanks for posting. Might try again in a longer visualization later.
"Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here."
- William Ehrmann, from "Desiderata."  

"Nothing you ever did or that was ever done to you could touch, even in the slightest, the radiant essence of who you are."
- Ekhart Tolle, from _The Power of Now_.    Posted Image   Posted Image

#4 Omega Man

Omega Man

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

The amygdala tickling sounds a bit hokey to me, but I gave it a try. No luck.

Same here. But I did a bit of reading and it can take some practice (just as in meditation) to get it to work. I'm just throwing this one out there for discussion. I'm willing to give anything a go that might help with the episodes of the big D.

#5 btb

btb

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

im not ticklish.

(i Could not resist!)

#6 DownToEarth

DownToEarth

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

I'd try anything once. Thanks for posting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users