Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Omega Man

Tickling The Amygdala

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Advertisement

Anyone familiar with this technique? You can read more about it here: http://www.cookbookofconsciousness.com/2012/03/neil-slade-tickles-your-amygdala/ and this post here on the forums seems to corroborate the amygdala with some types of depression:

Interestingly, the amygdala seems to be involved in the "fight or flight" experience (aka "stress"), as well as the motivational parts of the brain (us depressed people know all about a lack of motivation!). The "tickling the amygdala" technique supposedly is a way to induce happiness, by stimulating the front of the amydala via visualization. It is also responsible for withdrawing from unpleasant situations or input.

There just seems to be quite a bit of things that involve the amydala that relate to depression.

I'm curious if anyone has heard of this technique, and if you give it a go (the first link above has a link that describes the technique) -- did you find any success with it? I have poor visualization skills and have not had any success, although I will say I've not really given it much of a chance, just a few tries here and there when I first read about it.

You might also be interested in:

Posted

Hi Omega_Man.

The amygdala tickling sounds a bit hokey to me, but I gave it a try. No luck. It's weird that his visualizations target the amygdala rather than the septum or other brain areas more directly linked with pleasure...

I do believe in the power of biofeedback and visualization, to a degree, so this makes me want to study up on brain anatomy.

Thanks for posting. Might try again in a longer visualization later.

Posted

The amygdala tickling sounds a bit hokey to me, but I gave it a try. No luck.

Same here. But I did a bit of reading and it can take some practice (just as in meditation) to get it to work. I'm just throwing this one out there for discussion. I'm willing to give anything a go that might help with the episodes of the big D.

Posted

im not ticklish.

(i Could not resist!)

Posted

I'd try anything once. Thanks for posting.