• Announcements

• Lindsay

National Mental Health Awareness Month, 2016   05/01/2016

Proclamation 9433 of April 28, 2016 National Mental Health Awareness Month, 2016 A Proclamation Nearly 44 million American adults, and millions of children, experience mental health conditions each year, including depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and post-traumatic stress. Although we have made progress expanding mental health coverage and elevating the conversation about mental health, too many people still do not get the help they need. Our Nation is founded on the belief that we must look out for one another—and whether it affects our family members, friends, co-workers, or those unknown to us—we do a service for each other when we reach out and help those struggling with mental health issues. This month, we renew our commitment to ridding our society of the stigma associated with mental illness, encourage those living with mental health conditions to get the help they need, and reaffirm our pledge to ensure those who need help have access to the support, acceptance, and resources they deserve. In the last 7 years, our country has made extraordinary progress in expanding mental health coverage for more people across America. The Affordable Care Act prohibits insurance companies from discriminating against people based on pre-existing conditions, requires coverage of mental health and substance use disorder services in individual and small group markets, and expands mental health and substance use disorder parity policies, which are estimated to help more than 60 million Americans. Nearly 15 million more Americans have gained Medicaid coverage since October 2013, significantly improving access to mental health care. And because of more than $100 million in funding from the Affordable Care Act, community health centers have expanded behavioral health services for nearly 900,000 people nationwide over the past 2 years. Still, far too few Americans experiencing mental illnesses do not receive the care and treatment they need. That is why my most recent Budget proposal includes a new half-billion dollar investment to improve access to mental health care, engage individuals with serious mental illness in care, and help ensure behavioral health care systems work for everyone. Our Nation has made strong advances in improving prevention, increasing early intervention, and expanding treatment of mental illnesses. Earlier this year, I established a Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Parity Task Force, which aims to ensure that coverage for mental health benefits is comparable to coverage for medical and surgical care, improve understanding of the requirements of the law, and expand compliance with it. Mental health should be treated as part of a person's overall health, and we must ensure individuals living with mental health conditions can get the treatment they need. My Administration also continues to invest in science and research through the BRAIN initiative to enhance our understanding of the complexities of the human brain and to make it easier to diagnose and treat mental health disorders early. One of our most profound obligations as a Nation is to support the men and women in uniform who return home and continue fighting battles against mental illness. Last year, I signed the Clay Hunt SAV Act, which fills critical gaps in serving veterans with post-traumatic stress and other illnesses, increases peer support and outreach, and recruits more talented individuals to work on mental health issues at the Department of Veterans Affairs. This law will make it easier for veterans to get the care they need when they need it. All Americans, including service members, can get immediate assistance by calling the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK or by calling 1-800-662-HELP. During National Mental Health Awareness Month, we recognize those Americans who live with mental illness and substance use disorders, and we pledge solidarity with their families who need our support as well. Let us strive to ensure people living with mental health conditions know that they are not alone, that hope exists, and that the possibility of healing and thriving is real. Together, we can help everyone get the support they need to recover as they continue along the journey to get well. NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim May 2016 as National Mental Health Awareness Month. I call upon citizens, government agencies, organizations, health care providers, and research institutions to raise mental health awareness and continue helping Americans live longer, healthier lives. IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-eighth day of April, in the year of our Lord two thousand sixteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and fortieth.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gracie D

Latuda

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi. I m new here. After being on a med cocktail that has worked for me for many years, something has stopped working. I have major depression, PTSD, and GAD. For years I tried many meds that did not work. I finally ended up on 300 mg Wellbutrin, 2 mg clonazapam, 100 mg gabapentin. This had been fine until about a year ago. I am a 47 year old female. Not sure if it is my age, and hormones, or if the meds just pooped out. My family doc added 2.5 mg of Abilify last fall and I felt great, but started to rapidly put on weight. I came off the abilify, slid back into the depression, so went back on the Abilify, only to come off it again. I tried Buspar, but felt terrible and it didn't work. went off that and went on 25 mg of Topamax. My old pdoc wasn't taking clients anymore and money is an issue so I went to an psychiatric NP. She upped my Topomax to 75 mg. Also added another 100 of gabapentin. Then added Lamictal. I am up to 50 mg on the Lamictal (need to go slowly). I have only been seeing her for 5 weeks! Last Thursday she came in and told me she wanted to try me on Latuda. She said it is very similar to Abilify, without the side effects. I have been on the Latuda for 5 days and am very nervous....I feel like a guinea pig! I cannot believe I am on all these meds right now, when all I felt I needed was something to augment what wasn't quite doing it anymore. My main question is this Latuda. I cannot find much information about it on the web. I know it is an anti psychotic. I am depressed! Can anyone offer any feedback about it? Is it similar to Abilify? Does it work? I would so very much appreciate it! Thank you for reading!!

You might also be interested in:

Posted

I forgot to add to the above post that the NP's objective is to get me on Latuda and then take me off the other meds if it works.

Posted

Gracie D,

I found the following abstract to a study that was done on lurasidone, which is the generic name for Latuda. What it says that's relevant to depression is that the medication has demonstrated antidepressant effects in animal models of depression. As far as I know, human studies pertaining to the antidepressant potential of Latuda/lurasidone are lacking at this time, but some studies may be under way. As the abstract below also states, Latuda/lurasidone is a partial agonist at 5HT1A receptors, which is a mechanism that Abilify shares and that may also produce antidepressant effects. So, there is some reason to think that Latuda may have antidepressant properties, but I can't personally vouch for its effectiveness, as I haven't tried it. Maybe if somebody here has tried Latuda, they'll chime in.

Good luck with Latuda, and welcome to Depression Forums!

Tomatheus

J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2010 Jul;334(1):171-81. Epub 2010 Apr 19.

Pharmacological profile of lurasidone, a novel antipsychotic agent with potent 5-hydroxytryptamine 7 (5-HT7) and 5-HT1A receptor activity.

Ishibashi T, Horisawa T, Tokuda K, Ishiyama T, Ogasa M, Tagashira R, Matsumoto K, Nishikawa H, Ueda Y, Toma S, Oki H, Tanno N, Saji I, Ito A, Ohno Y, Nakamura M.

Source

Pharmacology Research Laboratories, Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma Co., Ltd., Suita, Osaka, Japan.

Abstract

Lurasidone [(3aR,4S,7R,7aS)-2-[(1R,2R)-2-[4-(1,2-benzisothiazol-3-yl)piperazin-1-ylmethyl]cyclohexylmethyl]hexahydro-4,7-methano-2H-isoindole-1,3-dione hydrochloride; SM-13496] is an azapirone derivative and a novel antipsychotic candidate. The objective of the current studies was to investigate the in vitro and in vivo pharmacological properties of lurasidone. Receptor binding affinities of lurasidone and several antipsychotic drugs were tested under comparable assay conditions using cloned human receptors or membrane fractions prepared from animal tissue. Lurasidone was found to have potent binding affinity for dopamine D(2), 5-hydroxytryptamine 2A (5-HT(2A)), 5-HT(7), 5-HT(1A), and noradrenaline alpha(2C) receptors. Affinity for noradrenaline alpha(1), alpha(2A), and 5-HT(2C) receptors was weak, whereas affinity for histamine H(1) and muscarinic acetylcholine receptors was negligible. In vitro functional assays demonstrated that lurasidone acts as an antagonist at D(2) and 5-HT(7) receptors and as a partial agonist at the 5-HT(1A) receptor subtype. Lurasidone showed potent effects predictive of antipsychotic activity, such as inhibition of methamphetamine-induced hyperactivity and apomorphine-induced stereotyped behavior in rats, similar to other antipsychotics. Furthermore, lurasidone had only weak extrapyramidal effects in rodent models. In animal models of anxiety disorders and depression, treatment with lurasidone was associated with significant improvement. Lurasidone showed a preferential effect on the frontal cortex (versus striatum) in increasing dopamine turnover. Anti-alpha(1)-noradrenergic, anticholinergic, and central nervous system (CNS) depressant actions of lurasidone were also very weak. These results demonstrate that lurasidone possesses antipsychotic activity and antidepressant- or anxiolytic-like effects with potentially reduced liability for extrapyramidal and CNS depressant side effects.

PMID:

[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]