Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Wellbutrin Xl - Increasing From 150Mg To 300Mg - Side Effects?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 donnas

donnas

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:18 AM

Hi everyone,
This is my first post to the forum but I have been lurking around here for about 5 weeks.
I started Wellbutrin xl and am on day 31 of 150mg a day. I have been taking the med around 6am every morning .
The first 2 weeks were a bit rough as I did have some side effects to contend with. I had a headache pretty much constantly for those first 2 weeks (advil generally helped with that), I had a few moments of unexplained anxiety which was very strange for me as I do not suffer from too much anxiety. I would be sitting at my desk and all of a sudden I would get this nervousness in my stomach for absolutely no reason as if I was about to walk on a stage and perform (that went away after a few weeks). I was and still am going through some constipation issues but have been taking Cleanse More by Renew Life (1 works great) and that has helped. My doctor told me that because it is a herbal remedy it is ok to take it but to just make sure I don't take it for too long and not every day. I also had some minor sleep issues. Nothing too major and I did get adequate sleep but I woke up a lot throughout the night. That has also gone away and I am having good sleeps for the most part.

One thing I will say is that I made the mistake of drinking while taking this. It was during my week 2 and I went out with some friends for drinks. I could not get any kind of buzz at all and after 5 drinks I felt completely sober (normally that would have me pretty toasty). That being said, the next day I felt like I had been hit by a truck. The hangover was as if I had drank 15 drinks and no amount of advil would make the headache go away. The worst part was that my depression was 100 times worse than ever and I went around in this depressed headachy fog for the next 4 days. It was horrible and I will never drink again while on this medication. It just isn't worth it. Why take an antidepressant and then put a substance in your body that completely negates what you are trying to do? It doesn't make sense to me so I am just going to stay away from the booze for a while.

After about three weeks all of the side effects have gone away. I am feeling a lot better and it feels like my depressions is lifting. All in all it feels like the medication is working. I am back to working out every morning before work because I can actually haul my *** out of bed now and my eating habits have gotten better. For the first time in a long while I am starting to have some feeling of hope that maybe I can finally, after being in denial about my depression for almost 20 years, start to feel like myself and have some happiness and contentment.

I went to see my doctor a couple days ago thinking I would go to the 300mg dosage but she decided it was bets to keep me at 150 for another 2 weeks. Here is my question: when I increase to the 300 will I have to suffer through those side effects again? has anyone went up to 300 and had different side effects? What should I expect when I increase? Any advise would be appreciated!

Thanks! I am so glad I have found this site. I have felt alone for a long time and just reading everyone's experiences and challenges really helps.

Donna

#2 ApricotBlossoms

ApricotBlossoms

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

Hi Donna,

I actually was wondering the same thing myself. I was at 100mg SR 2x a day for almost 2 months and last week bumped up tp 200mg SR 2x a day. I didn't feel better or worse until 5 days later and my anxiety and panic intensified. I had a few very bad episodes and scary thoughts. I haven't had any great days on this at all and I'm not sure if it's dose related or just that rollercoaster effect of some days feeling markedly worse. Would this still be going on after 3 months or is it like startup side effects all over again because my dose went up?

I hope someone can answer or guide us. I hope you are still reading this forum and are doing well. Wishing you the best.

#3 donnas

donnas

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

Hi Apricot,
Good to hear someone is in the same boat as me.

I just upped to the 300mg for the first time this morning. Definitely feeling a little weird so far. My head is a bit fuzzy and my irritability is through the roof! It's only been 10 hours since I took that first 300mg tablet so I am sure I will have more to report in a few days.

I was feeling good on 150 after being on it for 6 weeks and the adjustment period for that dose was also rough. I can handle some side effects for a bit on the 300 if it means the light at the end of the tunnel will be worth it. I just have to be patient and wait it out. I don't want to go back to 150 without giving the 300 a fair shot.

Has the anxiety improved over the past week? How are you feeling now?

#4 yesican

yesican

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

hi Donnas, I have been on Wellbutrin 300mg XR since the end of march. It truly has the best anti-depressant I have ever been on (had to try 4 others before this).
When I first started, I was on 100mg for 4 days, then 200 mg for 2 weeks, then finally the 300mg.
I did experience many of the same side effects, the most troublesome ones were the headaches and the impact it had on my sleep. I also experiences intense sensitivity to light and my eyes were dry and sore.
I chose to push through the side effects, and they all subsided. I do have to take zopiclone to get a full nights sleep, but I am ok with that.
I have read that anxiety and agitation can be a side effect.

#5 ApricotBlossoms

ApricotBlossoms

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:00 PM

Hi Apricot,
Good to hear someone is in the same boat as me.

I just upped to the 300mg for the first time this morning. Definitely feeling a little weird so far. My head is a bit fuzzy and my irritability is through the roof! It's only been 10 hours since I took that first 300mg tablet so I am sure I will have more to report in a few days.

I was feeling good on 150 after being on it for 6 weeks and the adjustment period for that dose was also rough. I can handle some side effects for a bit on the 300 if it means the light at the end of the tunnel will be worth it. I just have to be patient and wait it out. I don't want to go back to 150 without giving the 300 a fair shot.

Has the anxiety improved over the past week? How are you feeling now?

Hi Donna,

I guess since no one answered our question, I can now answer it for us. I did experience side effects when I went up in dosage. I had increased anxiety, agitation or irritability, some insomnia and 3 days of scary thoughts. All of those symptoms didn't last as long as the initial startup, thank God! So I basicly experienced the same side effects as in the beginning. I guess you can expect some of your previous symptoms to return temporarily or current ones to intensify..

My anxiety level is not nearly as intense as it was but still a problem. Also on Monday I felt very agitated. I hate that feeling.

How are you feeling this evening? Hopefully better than earlier. I didn't get the constipation and only had a few headaches which surprises me. Usually if something says "can cause diarrhea or constipation", I'll get the constipation. Good luck and keep posting.

Hi yesican,

Glad to hear Wellbutrin has worked so well for you. That's great!

Edited by ApricotBlossoms, 05 September 2012 - 08:03 PM.

#6 Bipolar n Depressed

Bipolar n Depressed

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

Glad I found this topic because I just uped my Wellbutrin (Bupropion SR) dose from 150 mg once a day to 150 mg to twice a day...aka 300 mg.  I am experiencing side effects again of headache, ringing in hears, fuzziness in my head, insomnia and waking up through the night, plus anxiety like crazy.  I'm trying to ride these side effects out, hoping they go away soon.  I was still feeling fairly depressed and I wasn't feeling the energy it was suppose to give you on 150 mg, so that's why I uped it to 300 mg with my doctors permission of course.  So I'm hoping I will get through these side effects soon and that my depression eases and my energy increases.  Does anyone know how long this takes when your go from 150 mg to 300 mg?

~Kim

#7 Rhop

Rhop

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

I just started this med myself 7 days ago. On day 4 I tried going from 150 to 300 as prescribed. I could not tolerate the intense mind numbing effect after day 2 at 300mg. So yesterday I skipped my wellbutrin, Today I took 150 and left it at that, feeling fine now so I will keep it at 150 for a few more days and try going up again. 

#8 Betsy

Betsy

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:24 PM

I have been taking Welbutrin XL for a month.  I started with 150mg and went ot 300mg after a week.  I do find I wake up often during the night.  I have noticed for two weeks after taking the 300mg I am still having headaches.  It has decreased my appetite and I have found if I over eat or eat anything that is a little greasy it makes me very sick.  It has helped me so much and I am no longer feeling depressed.  I don't seem to get the anxiety I have been reading about.

#9 iwomh

iwomh

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

Hello all

I cannot really contribute much, other than I have just moved from 150mg once a day, to 150mg twice a day.

Before I was doing pretty good, but with occasional but severe anxiety attacks, I would say shading well over into paranoia in some instances. This was even creeping into my dreams, leading to jump to wide-awake from a deep sleep. Not nightmares, just stress dreams.

In discussion with my MD, we decided to try the 150 twice a day, as the symptoms were appearing 12- 24 hours after my morning dose. I am only on day 2 at the moment, but did not sleep well despite a long, tiring day yesterday, and I am experiencing free-floating anxiety and general twitchiness.

Similar to Betsy, I will get nauseous from eating a large meal, but gravol works very well for that. I have been lucky enough to avoid the headaches, but I take a lot of ibuprofen and aceteminophen for back pain already, so that may be buffering.

Finding a forum like this is very helpful, just so I know that I am not 'losing it'. No matter how the rational mind keeps on top of "this is a side effect of the meds", it is very frustrating to deal with the feelings of insecurity and jumpiness.

I will report here for the record over the next few days/weeks so that hopefully, someone else finds the information useful.

regards

K

#10 KickboxingPitMom

KickboxingPitMom

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:51 AM

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this website, let alone any of the forums.  I am just glad that I found this thread, and although it's been a while since it was opened, I'm hoping some of you will reply to my post and give me some more feedback.  I just increased my Wellbutrin XL from 150mg to 300mg per day and it has been 3 weeks so far.  While I was on the 150mg I had slight side effects of increased anxiety, emotional outburst, irritability, sleeplessness, and increased hunger (which is strange on Wellbutrin).

The first week or so after starting 300mg per day I felt fine...just waiting for the increase to start taking off that last little bit fo anxiety I always feel day to day.  Well just this past weekend I had a HUGE setback in the form of an irrational, random, out of the blue, emotional outburst and verbal attack towards my boyfriend.  Although it's scary for him, luckily he knows what I deal with and is as supportive as he can be.  But is this a normal side effect on the increase????  I know that an increase can cause some side effects all over again until my body adjusts, but has anyone on here had issues specifically with wanting to cry at the drop of a hat, feeling out of control emotionally....and for the most part almost feeling like you're going backwards to how you were feeling before you started Wellbutrin period? 

I'd like to give it another month or so on the 300mg, at least until my follow-up with my doctor on 6/21, just to see if the side effects subside and to ensure that the 300mg dose is good for me.  He also has me on Klonopin as needed, but it hardly even takes the edge off anymore.  As I sit and type this I took one about 4 hours ago and I still have the nervous shakiness feeling like I could cry or have an outburst.  Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated :-)

• Zumbamom251 likes this

#11 1986baby

1986baby

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:55 PM

I started wellbutrin xl 150mg about ten days ago. I just started 300mg today. Since the day I started wellbutrin, I have felt nothing. It's like I where taking sugar pills. I have very bad anxiety and was initially scared to take wellbutrin, as I figured it would heighten my anxiety....nope, nothing. I wonder why I'm not feeling anything, good or bad? Hopefully now that I'm up to 300 mg it will do something for me.

Anyone on here have the same experience with wellbutrin? If so, how long until it set in, good or bad (symptoms), and did it help with low energy, lack of motivation, interest in things, etc?

Thanks
N

#12 Hootie57

Hootie57

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:56 AM

I started taking 150 mgs of Wellbutrin SR about a month ago.  Last week was horrible.  I was very angry and irritable.  When I called my doctor on Monday, he increased the dosage I was taking to 150 mg twice a day.  So far all I feel is tired and notice some differences in my urinating.  I don't want to go back to the irritable, angry woman I was last week, so I'm holding my breath.  Has anyone else experienced tiredness when taking Wellbutrin?  Does it go away?  Is there a point where everything falls into place and there are no side effects?

This is the second time I've gone through this thread and the responses have helped, so thank you everyone, for telling your story about your Wellbutrin journey.

#13 Replica69

Replica69

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:07 AM

150mg and 200mg SR gave me insane energy. I could see the the results of lifting weights like never before. When I went to 150mg twice a day I felt fatigue, anxiety, insomnia, and brain fog. I eventually stopped bupropion completely. If you are feeling better on 150 or 200mg a day, it may be better to stick with that dose.

#14 Zumbamom251

Zumbamom251

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:21 PM

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this website, let alone any of the forums.  I am just glad that I found this thread, and although it's been a while since it was opened, I'm hoping some of you will reply to my post and give me some more feedback.  I just increased my Wellbutrin XL from 150mg to 300mg per day and it has been 3 weeks so far.  While I was on the 150mg I had slight side effects of increased anxiety, emotional outburst, irritability, sleeplessness, and increased hunger (which is strange on Wellbutrin).

The first week or so after starting 300mg per day I felt fine...just waiting for the increase to start taking off that last little bit fo anxiety I always feel day to day.  Well just this past weekend I had a HUGE setback in the form of an irrational, random, out of the blue, emotional outburst and verbal attack towards my boyfriend.  Although it's scary for him, luckily he knows what I deal with and is as supportive as he can be.  But is this a normal side effect on the increase????  I know that an increase can cause some side effects all over again until my body adjusts, but has anyone on here had issues specifically with wanting to cry at the drop of a hat, feeling out of control emotionally....and for the most part almost feeling like you're going backwards to how you were feeling before you started Wellbutrin period? 

I'd like to give it another month or so on the 300mg, at least until my follow-up with my doctor on 6/21, just to see if the side effects subside and to ensure that the 300mg dose is good for me.  He also has me on Klonopin as needed, but it hardly even takes the edge off anymore.  As I sit and type this I took one about 4 hours ago and I still have the nervous shakiness feeling like I could cry or have an outburst.  Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated :-)

I have been taking Wellbutrin XL for almost 10 years, I've been off of it since February of this year due to being pregnant. In all my years of taking it, I've NEVER had any negative side effects. I lost 5lbs when I first started it and it just was all around great for me. Well this month my doctor put me back on it due to my depression getting bad, mixed with prego hormones, not a very good feeling. Lol She started me on 150mg for 7 days and then 300mg after. I don't remember any real significant changes in the first days of 150 mg. I've been on 300mg for going on 3 weeks now... Needless to say it has NOT been good! Last week I had the same crazy, out of the blue emotional outburst on my husband! I'm talking screaming crying, whole nine yards, all the while knowing in the back of my mind I was being ridiculous. That incident has sent me spiraling with all of this off the wall thinking that I KNOW is crazy and uncalled for, but my brain will not shut it off. My doctor told me to call her if things got worse, so I'm waiting on her to return my phone call right now. At first I wanted to think it was just my hormones going haywire that was causing it but after reading this, I truly believe its the medication.

#15 20YearsandCounting

20YearsandCounting

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:39 PM

Was on welbutrin 300mg/day (150 twice daily); had anger problems close to med time, and developed a tremor in my hands that got worse or was triggered by extreme emotion like frustration.  Been off it for about a year now; had an aunt that died of Parkinson's, so the tremors kind of freaked me out.  If I missed a day I got really, really bad headaches.  Hope it does better for you.  Good luck.

:welcomeani:    :hugs:   :gathering:

'We're all pretty bizarre - some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all.' --The Breakfast Club

Currently unmedicated, self-medicating with Benadryl as needed for anxiety on family doc's recommendation.

Last meds Bupropion  300mg, Trazadone ??mg via family doc, over a year and a half ago.

Previously diagnosed as Clinical Chronic Depression with Anxiety over a decade ago by psychiatrist.

I'm not a medical or mental health professional, my advice is based on my experience.

#16 NativeGoddess1974

NativeGoddess1974

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:53 PM

I was on 150 mg and as of 06/12/14 I have been on 300 mg. I have now been having shortness of breath, cry at the drop of a hat, I go off on my man 4 no reason, and then depression. I think I am now losing my mind. But, the thing that bothers me the most is the shortness of breath. Is this just me or has this happened to anybody else out there?? 

• 20YearsandCounting likes this

#17 20YearsandCounting

20YearsandCounting

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

Native, yeah I hear you!  I tend to react to the urge to cry by getting angry instead, so I didn't have so many crying jags as temper problems.  I took 150 twice daily, and noticed it particularly in the evening, a couple of hours before my evening meds.  And if I missed a day and a half worth of meds in a row, I got really horrible headaches, the laying in bed with the lights out and a damp washcloth over my forehead kind of bad.  Tylenol  & Ibuprofen never did much good, but I took them anyway.  Hope you get it figured out.  For some of us the side effects are worth it, and for some they aren't.  It's a tough call. 

'We're all pretty bizarre - some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all.' --The Breakfast Club

Currently unmedicated, self-medicating with Benadryl as needed for anxiety on family doc's recommendation.

Last meds Bupropion  300mg, Trazadone ??mg via family doc, over a year and a half ago.

Previously diagnosed as Clinical Chronic Depression with Anxiety over a decade ago by psychiatrist.

I'm not a medical or mental health professional, my advice is based on my experience.

#18 earwaxxer

earwaxxer

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:32 PM

Lots of posts here about Wellbutrin and anxiety related side effects. My first thought is to combine it with an SSRI. It also seems like everyone is put on the XL long acting stuff. I would tend toward the SR for a more reliable release. Just a thought. I was reading about how some generic XL's may not have a stable release rate.

• 20YearsandCounting and Dolphin2013 like this

#19 20YearsandCounting

20YearsandCounting

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:45 PM

Earwaxxer, I would believe that about generics not having a stable release rate, that may have been part of my problem.  I was on generics.  No way I could afford name brand, since we are too rich for government assistance and too poor to pay all the bills. 

#20 IAmMore

IAmMore

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:34 PM

Lots of posts here about Wellbutrin and anxiety related side effects. My first thought is to combine it with an SSRI. It also seems like everyone is put on the XL long acting stuff. I would tend toward the SR for a more reliable release. Just a thought. I was reading about how some generic XL's may not have a stable release rate.

I am on the generic Wellbutrin 150 mg extended release, but am also on 20 mgs of generic Celexa. Do you feel this unstable release rate may still be effecting me?

• 20YearsandCounting likes this

#21 givemepeace

givemepeace

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:29 PM

Everyone seems to have their own struggles with this med related to anxiety, anger and irritability but for me it is a great antidepressant since it kicks me in the butt and helps me get off the couch!  I have been able to go on and off WB many times without withdrawal or a lot of side effects ether. I know the reason that the se's don't seem bad for me is b/c I take klonopin to smooth out the anxiety which I have whether I take WB or not.  I wish I didn't have to rely on klonopin since it is a benzo and addictive, I have to control my dosing so that i don't increase without realizing it, anyway I feel for those of you that are having a difficult time adjusting, hang in there, this is a good med for a lot of people!

• 20YearsandCounting and Dolphin2013 like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users