Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Stopping Wellbutrin Xl 150 After Taking It For A Month...?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 crispyhair

crispyhair

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

hi everyone,

i need some advice... i've been taking 150 mgs of wellbutrin xl for the past month and need to stop now because apparently my body is unable to digest it. according to my googling on the matter, 7% of people who take it experience major gas and bloating. i am one of the unlucky 7%.

i am already on mirtazapine, which i take in the evening, and actually went on the wellbutrin to help me with my smoking cessation (i quit smoking on june 1st - and have stayed quit - woo!)

i know it's best if one weans off an AD but the thing is this issue is interfering with my job. the gas issue is MAJOR and comes in regular waves (every few minutes) and i work in an office... nuff said. ;-)

also, to be honest it's made me a bit snappish/irritable and i'm not liking that.

given that i've only been on it a month and given that i'm on the lowest dose how bad can i expect the withdrawal to be? i would try the wean of one day off, one day on, but i just have to get this AD out of my system and get my digestive system back!

thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions.

crispy

#2 jamiew

jamiew

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:39 AM

I would recommend consulting your doctor. I have forgotten to take my meds (on welbutrin among others) for a day or two and seem to immediatly spiral down into a suicidal mode. It is different for every person but your dr. can give you the best advise and maybe suggest something else?
Diagnosis: Recurring Major Depression Severe with Psycotic Features
Current Meds: Abilify 10 mg, WellButrin Xl 450 mg, Viibryd 50mg, Clonazepam 1mg, Trazadone 200mg, Deplin 15mg

#3 crispyhair

crispyhair

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

hi jamiew,

thanks for your reply and advice. unfortunately my doc's on holidays right now and besides, given the significant physical side effects i really have to just stop taking this med (honestly, even if my doc said 'no' i'd still stop. he doesn't have to live with the bad gas - i do!). i guess my question, to be more clear, is what i can expect in terms of withdrawal symptoms.

so far, i've noticed some fatigue. i bought an anti-nauseant from the drugstore just in case...

so far, not bad... plan is to grin and bear it for the next week or so. to note, am not worried about mood. i took it for smoking cessation first and foremost and i'm out of the woods in terms of smoking...

i'll keep ya posted!

thanks again,
crispy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users