Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

When is the best time to take Wellbutrin

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 italianchica

italianchica

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:08 PM

Okay. I just switched from Effexor 75 mg per day to Wellbutrin 150 mg per day. I found that the side effects of Effexor were getting worse. It was pure hell tapering off this medication.

My question is - when is the best time to take Wellbutrin. I've been taking it in the morning. I'm finding it hard to go to sleep at night. This is bad since Effexor had that same side effect on me and i haven't been able to get a decent nights sleep in a long time. I've also noticed that during the day i don't have much of an appetite, but at night - particularly after 8:00 my appetite sky rockets!

Anything would be helpful.

#2 italianchica

italianchica

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:09 AM

:hearts:

no one ever answers my posts :bump:

#3 ElusiveTranquility

ElusiveTranquility

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 10:55 PM

:hearts:

no one ever answers my posts :bump:

Hey, sorry about the somewhat slow forums. I guess it goes with the territory :shocked:

My doctor told me never to take WellbutrinSR (generic) after 4:00 PM since it tends to keep people awake.

As far as my reaction to it, I've taken it after 4:00 a couple of times, but this is my first week, so I don't know if it's kicked in full blast or not. Since I already suffer from odd sleep patterns, at least I can tell you nothing's changed. Whether that's good or not, that's another story :shocked:

If you take it in the morning and it already makes you sleepless, then maybe your doc can suggest another time. If it's that bad, maybe they can suggest either another medication or a sleep aid to help you. Only your doctor can tell you that.

#4 italianchica

italianchica

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:02 AM

my doctor won't prescribe a sleep medicine to me.

#5 aberCoreyfitch

aberCoreyfitch

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:05 AM

my doctor won't prescribe a sleep medicine to me.

Ask your doctor about Trazodone it's a rather old antidepressant that promotes sleep in addition to your wellbutrin. Since your doctor won't prescibe any of the sleep meds to you. Tamazepam is a good one also.
Corey, I"m 26 years old; Atlanta, GA now.. I'm happy :)

#6 jessicuh

jessicuh

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:48 AM

I am confused (and new!). :hearts:

My doctor told me to take the 150mg SR tablets two times a day, exactly 12 hours apart or within 3 hours of the same time. How can I not take it after 4 pm? I mean..I'd rather not wake up at 3 am to take a pill. I'm only on day 2 so I don't know how it will affect my sleep, but I've always had a hard time sleeping.

Any help would be appreciated.

#7 Gojira

Gojira

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 04:00 PM

I just started... taking 150mg daily, first thing in the morning when I wake up. Doctor did not say any one particular time was better than another, just said that I should pick a time of day and stick to it as close as possible. I chose morning because I thought it would be easiest for me to remember.

I've noticed that I get a bit sleepy in the afternoon, 6-8 hours after I take it. If I push my pills to @ 2pm, then maybe I'd get sleepy @ 9pm, 10pm? That would be nice! :)

#8 Calast450

Calast450

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 06:56 PM

I just started... taking 150mg daily, first thing in the morning when I wake up. Doctor did not say any one particular time was better than another, just said that I should pick a time of day and stick to it as close as possible. I chose morning because I thought it would be easiest for me to remember.

I've noticed that I get a bit sleepy in the afternoon, 6-8 hours after I take it. If I push my pills to @ 2pm, then maybe I'd get sleepy @ 9pm, 10pm? That would be nice! :)

On cymbalta and wellbutrin so I don't have to worry about the stimulating affects WB'in can have on you, but I still take it in the morning along with my fish oil, vitamins, cymbalta, ect.

#9 Skippy Dog

Skippy Dog

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:14 PM

I take mine in the morning as well. The problem is had barely any sleep last night, perhaps 2-hours at most. I wanted to go back to bed after I got my SO off to work but by that time I think the WB was working again so I have been going ALL day. I tried putting my head down for a while but my mind was too active to nap. I don't know how people get by taking 2 tabs a day.

#10 xXxSunshinexXx

xXxSunshinexXx

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:04 PM

I take Wellbutrin SR twice a day. I also take Seroquel 25mg for my insomnia. My psych prescribed me 50mg but that knocked me out too much and I couldn't hear my son at night. The 25 mg is just right and I am not waking up in the middle of the night.

#11 Stephanie13

Stephanie13

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:31 PM

Okay. I just switched from Effexor 75 mg per day to Wellbutrin 150 mg per day. I found that the side effects of Effexor were getting worse. It was pure hell tapering off this medication.

My question is - when is the best time to take Wellbutrin. I've been taking it in the morning. I'm finding it hard to go to sleep at night. This is bad since Effexor had that same side effect on me and i haven't been able to get a decent nights sleep in a long time. I've also noticed that during the day i don't have much of an appetite, but at night - particularly after 8:00 my appetite sky rockets!

Anything would be helpful.

I take it in the morning and at night. My appetite has decreased.

#12 Aerial

Aerial

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:45 PM

I take 300mg of Wellbutrin (no weight loss or change in appetite) in the morning, as early as possible so it will mostly wear off by bedtime. My doc does prescribe Xanax to help me sleep. Maybe you need a sleep med? :hearts:
Posted ImagePosted Image

"We've been around, we fall, we fly
We mostly fall, we mostly run
And every now and then we try
To mend the damage that we've done..."

(Song of Bernadette, lyrics by Leonard Cohen)

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time." James Taylor

#13 moiraine

moiraine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 09:59 PM

My story is similar to Aerial's. I take my Wellbutrin with my am meds, 450 mgs. But I stay up past midnight so it has plenty of time to wear off. At night I take my "night" Effexor,Terazozin (BP med),my "night" Lamictal and 1/4tab. Xanax. That takes about 1/2 hr. to make me sleepy. Maybe your dr. could give you a little something to make you drowsy enough to sleep. Would he prescribe a little Xanax for you? Without that little piece of Xanax I wouldn't be able to" turn my mind off " enough to settle down for my zzzzzz's :hearts:
Posted Image
Posted Image Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time. - Laura Ingalls Wilder

#14 this2shallpass

this2shallpass

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:58 PM

My story is similar to Aerial's. I take my Wellbutrin with my am meds, 450 mgs. But I stay up past midnight so it has plenty of time to wear off. At night I take my "night" Effexor,Terazozin (BP med),my "night" Lamictal and 1/4tab. Xanax. That takes about 1/2 hr. to make me sleepy. Maybe your dr. could give you a little something to make you drowsy enough to sleep. Would he prescribe a little Xanax for you? Without that little piece of Xanax I wouldn't be able to" turn my mind off " enough to settle down for my zzzzzz's :hearts:

I can relate to turning my mind off with the xanax. Sometimes it's really hard to stop focusing on the negatives. i take my Wellbutrin xr 150mg at night. i'm surprised to hear you guys all take it in the morning. I have a hard time going to sleep when my mind won't stop the compulsive worrying. It's very frustrating.

#15 eterea

eterea

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:54 PM

i take my 300 mg of wellbutrin xl at some point during the day - whenever i think about it. i've not had problems sleeping. however, i DO take abilify in the evenings and that does make me tired - so perhaps that is getting me to sleep when the wellbutrin might otherwise keep me up?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 Gojira

Gojira

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 02:37 AM

Well, it's almost 1:45am... and I think I've finally noticed something...

Back on Friday, I forgot to take my meds in the morning. I went from a usual "pill time" of 8am-10am... and didn't take my meds that day until @ 5:30pm!

I was up very late Friday night...

and again Saturday night...

and again tonight...!!!

I took my pill @ noon on Saturday... and @ 10am on Sunday.

Going to bed now, I think... going to be back to early morning meds tomorrow. Should take care of it all.

--"Gojira"
  • tiffers87 likes this

#17 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:56 PM

Gojira:

WB can affect sleep. Best to take it in the morning.

Sorry you've had trouble sleeping. I know I hate sleepless or restless nights.

Hope tonight is peaceful for you!

-Bean
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. Love.
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#18 Frenzied

Frenzied

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:55 PM

I do 20mg of Lexapro in the morning 7:00 a.m. along with 150mg of Wellbutrin. I also take a second dose of Wellbutrin Sr - 75mg around 3:00 p.m. in the afternoon. Not 12 hours apart, but I have found that the Wellbutrin still keeps me up until 1 or 2 a.m. even when taking it at 3:00 p.m.

It isn't working all that well for me at this point. I am headed back to the Dr. tomorrow - the 75mg was something that was added 4 weeks ago. My depression has been getting worse and sleeping is screwed up.

Trying to find the right combination of meds has been really, arduous and frustrating.

#19 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:27 AM

Frenzied:

You are right - trying to find the right mix if meds can be very tedious. Hang in there. You and your doc will figure it out.

WB can cause insomnia. It's best taken in the morning. Ask your doc if you can take both doses together in the morning. It might help.

Keep us posted.

-Bean
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. Love.
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#20 mandy11

mandy11

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:13 PM

the pharmacist told me to take it anytime as long as i could take it at the same time everyday. AND if it made me drowsy then to take it at night.

so without having to test out the drowsiness, i just decided to take it at night.

Sometimes my mind races before bed trying to get to sleep, oand i usually wake up once in the middle of the night but can get back to sleep.

it's a lot better than before i was on it and i would be waking up very early every morning and not being able to get back to sleep.. or staying up really late because i couldnt sleep.

so although my sleep is a bit bothered still, it's better than before.

#21 moonlightress

moonlightress

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:36 AM

My doctor told me to take the 150mg SR tablets two times a day, exactly 12 hours apart or within 3 hours of the same time. How can I not take it after 4 pm? I mean..I'd rather not wake up at 3 am to take a pill. I'm only on day 2 so I don't know how it will affect my sleep, but I've always had a hard time sleeping.

I'm aware this is an old post and perhaps things have changed in two years, but just in case someone has a query similar to the above: I was told that it is safe to take 150mg SR doses 8 hours apart ie one when you wake up and the other 8 hours later. That way you can usually fit the second one in before 3pm, (adjust for your own sleep times!)
"Safe" refers to the incidence of seizure activity and is relative.

#22 Mimen

Mimen

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:10 PM

I pop 300mg in the morning on an empty stomach with a cup of coffee!! Could'nt do it in the beginning as it made me very on edge and hyper.

I can vouch for it keeping you awake at night at the start. I remember sitting up in my bed at 3 am reading with my mind as clear as cristal!!

Would not dare myself to take it after 8 in the morning!!
BPII and loving it!

#23 Chenderson

Chenderson

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:52 PM

I'm on 150mg's right now with 750mgs of depakote, next week I start 300mgs of wellbutrin. The 150 in the morning makes me feel good all day until about midnight, then its wined down time. A little worried the 300 is going to make me bounce of the walls.
I don't care to much for reality, but it's the only place to get a decent steak.

#24 moonlightress

moonlightress

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:45 PM

I pop 300mg in the morning on an empty stomach with a cup of coffee!! Couldn't do it in the beginning as it made me very on edge and hyper.

Mimen, are you on the XL version? That's once-a-day dosing, which sounds very attractive to me - it's a struggle to remember a second dose in the middle of the afternoon!

But as far as I know it's more expensive - how much are you paying for it? (I'm already paying the difference between the cost of Efexor and Venlor, because my (in-house) medical aid will only pay for Venlor, and that is about R230. Wonder if they would cover the XL as opposed to the SR?)

#25 moonlightress

moonlightress

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:49 PM

I'm on 150mg's right now with 750mgs of depakote, next week I start 300mgs of wellbutrin. The 150 in the morning makes me feel good all day until about midnight, then its wined down time. A little worried the 300 is going to make me bounce of the walls.

Chenderson:
I was put directly onto 300mg and it did make me edgy and hyper at first, but that seemed to ease off after a while. Also, the Depakote will help manage that. Good luck and let us know how it goes! :hearts:

#26 teasley

teasley

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:23 PM

I take Wellbutrin SR twice a day. I also take Seroquel 25mg for my insomnia. My psych prescribed me 50mg but that knocked me out too much and I couldn't hear my son at night. The 25 mg is just right and I am not waking up in the middle of the night.

Ok, I'm new here...I just started taking Seroquel 25mg also. It knocked me out the very first night and I haven't slept good since. I toss & turn and have these crazy sometimes frightening dreams that wake me suddenly all night long. I also just switched from Prozac 40mg to Zoloft. I feel better, just not getting the sleep I feel I need...

#27 lostsoul21

lostsoul21

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:08 PM

hey i just started taking WB also my doctor said just like yours to pick a time and try to take it at that same time everyday i have to be at work by 8 mon thru friday so i take it at like 7 in the morning every day i try on the wekends but i tend to try to sleep some. so far since i been takin it in the early am i get off work want to sometimes take a nap bout a hour or so ill get up clean do whatever but when its time to go to bed ill falls asleep but wake up like every hour or every two hours! i dont like that part, but like last night i got about 3 hours of sleep woke up at 6 and took my pill at 7 and i dont ever feel like im sleep deprived the pil meks me feel energetic.....
"It's better to be thought of a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users