Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Changing From Prozac To Cymbalta

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jima1951

jima1951

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:51 AM

Hi everyone - I'm new to this site and am happy to have found it. After 20 years on 30 mg of prozac, it appears that it's not doing the job anymore. Extremely depressed right now. On the advice of my psychiatrist, I'm starting on 30 mg of cymbalta this coming Tuesday. I've read a lot of very positive things about cymbalta and a lot of very negative things. Has anyone else ever made this transition? I'd be interested in hearing from you. And from folks who have had good experiences with cymbalta. Cheers - Jim

#2 jima1951

jima1951

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:06 PM

Now I'm totally confused. I had a bad experience with effexor several years ago - it worked at first, then made me very nervous. Now I've found out the cymbalta is in the same family as effexor and I'm afraid of a repeat. My psychiatrist says that cymbalta is less "jagged" than effexor and thinks that I will benefit. Any comments? Are effexor and cymbalta essentially the same drug?

#3 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

Hi jima1951 and welcome to the DF!

Cymbalta and Effexor are SRNIs (serotonon norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors), which is their commonality, but it basically just means they work on reblancing the norepinephren in your brain as well as serotonin, whereas Prozac and many other are SSRIs, don't have the norepinephrine factor. Being some time later, because you had a bad experience on one doesn't mean you'll necessarily have a negative experience on the other. Are you coming off the Prozac slowly, while starting the Cymbalta slowly? I think I would ask the Dr. if you might do this. Maybe cut the Cymbalta down to taking it every other day and decrease the Prozac slowly maybe be decreasing the dosage.

I transitioned from Zoloft to Cymbalta with a short stint of Lexapro and I did have a myriad of negative start-up side effects which I attribute to the Cymbalta for approximately 4 weeks. This wasn't enjoyable, but I stuck with it and 5 years later I'm a much more balanced person with Cymbalta.

Good luck to you and let us know how we can answer and questions or help.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 jima1951

jima1951

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

Hello MaddieLouise,

Thanks very much for your thoughtful response. Actually my psychiatrist has advised me to stop the 30 mg of Prozac that I'm taking and immediately start with 30 mg of Cymbalta. So today I took the Prozac and tomorrow I start with the Cymbalta. He said that the Prozac will remain in my system, since it has a longer half life, while the Cymbalta starts up. What you're saying makes a lot of sense and I'll definitely talk to my doc about it. I'm seeing him for a check in on Thursday but will probably speak to him before - especially if anything unusual starts happening!

Thanks very much for your support. This website is a Godsend - I wish that I had known about it during the Effexor catastrophe!

Be well,

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users