Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Lexapro Start Up - Feeling More Depressed - Lack Of Emotions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Soccer_Dude

Soccer_Dude

Advanced Member

ID: 81083

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

Hi,

I'm just starting the 3rd week of Lexparo. I was on 5mg for little over a week, then 10mg for about 1 week. Once I made it to 10mg, a couple of days later, I could feel that my mood was lower, lack of emotions. Feeling more depressed. Actually I think I felt better before going on Lexapro, although I had anxiety issues. I think my anxiety/panic feeds my depression but when the anxiety is lifted my mood seems okay.

Anyway, the first time I tried Lexapro, the same thing happened it numbed my emotions and made me feel depressed. I only made it to 4 weeks then.

I hear that the numbed emotions will go away, at least for some people. But it it normal to feel depressed, or more depressed while you start up on Lexapro? How long does that last? I know there are some others experiencing the same thing...

I think my issue more than anything is anxiety and panic. Maybe Lex isn't the best choice for me, although I hear it can really help with anxiety. But, I don't like feeling so low, and blah, and lack of emotions, like I can feel any joy or look forward to anything. It makes me more panicy.

Just wondering if others had this and did it go away after sticking with it a while longer? Is there anything you've done to help improve the mood/low feeling while starting up?

Not having very many other side effects. A night sweat now and then. Has some increased anxiety/nervousness but that has gone down I think.....Oh, and I feel a bit more hungry at times.

Thanks.

#2 Meirionne

Meirionne

Community Assistant

ID: 75292

• DF Support
  • 866 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

Hi Soccer Dude,

It is very common to feel worse while you adjust to anti depressants. This can sometimes be bad anxiety, or worse depression. It is a tough time and difficult to get through. I had the same thing. I thought the medication was not working, but a friend of mine persuaded me to persevere and kept telling me to be patient and it would get better and start to work. She was right. I began to feel a little bit better after about 4 weeks, but it took about 2 months to feel a big improvement. But that varies for everyone.

While I was waiting for the medication to take effect, I went for a walk out in the fresh air every day. There were lots of days when I did not want to go, but my husband refused to listen to my excuses and we went!. Each time I felt better by the time I got home. The fresh air and little bit of exercise really did make a difference.

I hope you start to feel better soon, and we are here to support you whenever you need advice.
Take care,
meirionne
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion. (the Dalai Lama)

US & International Hotlines Hotlines for UK Hotlines for Canada Teen Helplines

#3 Soccer_Dude

Soccer_Dude

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

Hi Meirionne,

Thank you for the input. It's so hard to determine whether the med is working correctly or not. I wasn't feeling this bad before the med, so it just seems a bit scary to feel this way. I just feel uncomfortable, and I think it triggers some panicy feelings. I know I need to wait it out and give it a fair chance, but it's so hard to do. What if you wait 4-6 weeks and it doesn't get better? I made it to 4 weeks before (3 weeks at 10mg), and I still felt the flat emotions, but I don't recall if I was still feeling really low or not. Anyway, I just worry about waiting 4-6 weeks to find out it doesn't work and you have to taper off and start all over. But, I hear ya, about waiting it out. I know it's tough. I did report how I felt to my doctor, but I'm sure he will call back to tell me to stick it out. We'll see. Anyway, thanks again for your post.

Soccer

#4 becksboy

becksboy

ID: 82837

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:44 PM

I'm with you Soccer Dude......I started my third week of Lexapro the exact same day you did. I feel foggy head and anxious after I take it. It's weird. I don't like taking this stuff or having to take this stuff. I don't feel motivated at all. I'm 37, have a Business degree from a prestigous university and I'm unemployed and scared to go out and look for a job. I've literally had 4 jobs in the last 7 months and have quit all of them because of anxiety.

I was on adderall for 2.5 years prior to last Dec but I've always had anxiety. I think that may have something to do with it. I don't know.

#5 Meirionne

Meirionne

Community Assistant

ID: 75292

• DF Support
  • 866 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:39 AM

I remember feeling just the same anxiety, and worry that I would get to 6 weeks and not feel an improvement. For me the improvement was very very slow and gradual. After about 4 weeks I did not feel better, so much as slightly less bad. This was difficult to spot at the time and is clearer to realise now with hindsight. I was so worried that I would get to 6 weeks and have to start all over again with a new med and go through all the side effects and waiting again. I think this worry led me to persevere rather than go back to see my doctor. After about 6 weeks I had a few days when I felt better for a couple of hours, followed by a return of the depression, low mood and anxiety that nothing was improving. At this stage I did get advice from one friend to go and ask for a new medication, and another friend advised me to keep persevering. The second friend thought that perhaps I had been so low when i started the medication, that it was taking longer to get to the effective level.

One of the things I found particularly difficult while depressed, was making even the simplest of decisions. A simple choice of what to eat for a meal could reduce me to panic and tears, so this decision was difficult. But I was so reluctant to start all over again with side effects that I decided to wait another 2 weeks.

After 8 weeks of the AD, I finally could see real improvement. I knew it was working at last. At this stage I was still not better, but I was strong enough to begin counselling and CBT.
So I was glad I persevered longer than I expected. I thought 3-4 weeks, but it was double that. Now I feel well on the medication and after 4 months I am back at work again and functioning normally again.

I hope this helps, but ask your doctor if you are unsure,and I wish you luck in your recovery

Edited by Meirionne, 02 June 2012 - 06:40 AM.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion. (the Dalai Lama)

US & International Hotlines Hotlines for UK Hotlines for Canada Teen Helplines

#6 Soccer_Dude

Soccer_Dude

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:34 PM

Hi,

Ya, the 2nd and 3rd week were the worst for me, when I first tried Lex, but I never got past 4 weeks last time. And this time around the 2-3 week was also just as rough. I'm looking forward to the 4th week feeling a little better. And I hope it is all up hill from there. :)

If you look at the post called "Please Tell Me It Gets Better‏" you can folllow some of us on this journey who are going through the same stuff.

#7 Soccer_Dude

Soccer_Dude

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:43 PM

I'm still struggling. I feel that Lex keeps making my depression worse, and hasn't let up. No signs of improvement. Depession wasn't even my biggest issue, anxiety was, so I thought. And that's not even better. I increased my remeron last night to 15mg, and I feel a bit better today. Not sure if it's helping or not. I think it might as it did before.

Waiting another 4 weeks would be tough with the way I feel. last time I made it to 4 weeks, I stopped and when I tapered to 5mg for four days, I started feeling better. Maybe 10mg is too much for me, although that is the normal dose for most. Hard to say.

My pdoc told me before I should see a lift in mood by week 4. But it sounds like it can take longer for some.

Soccer

#8 Soccer_Dude

Soccer_Dude

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:08 PM

Not sure if I've mentioned this or not, but several times now in the past week, within 20-30 minutes of taking my 10mg dose, I start feeling awful, more depressed, ill like, head ache, flush feeling, etc... I never had this problem the first 3 weeks on this, not sure why now I'm feeling so awful after taking a dose. And I've noticed that last few days I've feel more depressed/hopeless at times. Very uncomfortable. No mood lift at all. I wonder if I got a bad batch, or if I'm just not reacting well to Lexapro or what? The last time I was on it for four week, it numbed my emotions and I never got a relief in my mood, so I had stopped. I know it's only been 4 weeks, and 3 weeks at 10mg, but......Not sure if I should be feeling worse at this point.

#9 Bluesclueless

Bluesclueless

ID: 83085

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:17 AM

Hi Soccer Dude,

Im on Lexapro 10 mg and this is my 4th day......since taking them i noticed anxiety increased so much as did panic. i was on them before but never really game them a chance.
the effects i feel are waking up early and with serious anxiety so i find it hard to fall back asleep and then my mind races. I suffer with depression few months on AD are the toughest as i am typing this mail my boday is shaking with anxiety. IF you do not see an improvment by 8 weeks id recommend going back to your GP. Remember everytime you up the dosage it takes a bit of time for your body to adjust.

The hard part is riding out the storm..... i find what can help for anxiety is go to you tube and look up relaxation for anxiety theres lots there and they may help you to relax a little. Do it somewhere quiet twice a day or when you are feeling bad...headphones on and try not to get distracted or disturbed.

Sorry i couldnt be more help im having a rough time myself.

#10 Soccer_Dude

Soccer_Dude

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:39 PM

well, I just finished 4 weeks on Lexapro, 3 weeks at 10mg. Ever since starting 10mg, my depression got worse, feelings of hopelessness, etc...Very uncomfortable!!! It's gotten worse this last week. And even 20-30 minutes after taking my dose, I can feel a negative feeling in my head. My mood drops. The last time I tried lexapro I made it to 4 weeks, and it numbed my emotions and never let up. I know it can make you feel worse before better, but it's been making me feel worse for weeks, and it's not letting up. I think I may drop to 5mg for a week, see if it's better, then maybe taper and get off this med. I can't take the feeling it gives me much longer.

soccer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users