Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Zoloft and Wellbutrin

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 arlaur

arlaur

Senior Moderator

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 03:05 PM

Greetings,

I've been on Zoloft now for two months. It's been working very well-- I had a complete breakdown back in July, and I've rebounded A LOT since then. I'm currently on 75mg of Zoloft, and it's working very well. The only trouble was, I started feeling numb and detached from my own life-- a passive observer incapable of feeling the passion she once felt for music and for life. I didn't know how much of the problem was due to my soulless, awful job, where my boss demeans me and seizes every opportunity to tell me how unsatisfactory I am (even when I get things right,) and how much of the problem was due to the Zoloft. So, this past Monday, my psychiatrist thought it would be a good idea to add some Wellbutrin to the mix. He put me on the lowest dose-- 75mg. It's too soon just yet to be feeling any direct effect (although I am feeling particularly good-- but that may be because I'm quitting my job!) But I was just curious, has anyone else here been on the Zoloft-Wellbutrin combination? If so, I'd like to hear your thoughts!

-Ari
"Opportunity is not a lengthy visitor."-- Stephen Sondheim

"Give me my freedom for as long as I be; all I ask of living is to have no chains on me."-- Laura Nyro

#2 Lindsay

Lindsay

Forum Super Administrator

• Super Administrators
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 11:44 AM

Greetings,

I've been on Zoloft now for two months. It's been working very well-- I had a complete breakdown back in July, and I've rebounded A LOT since then. I'm currently on 75mg of Zoloft, and it's working very well. The only trouble was, I started feeling numb and detached from my own life-- a passive observer incapable of feeling the passion she once felt for music and for life. I didn't know how much of the problem was due to my soulless, awful job, where my boss demeans me and seizes every opportunity to tell me how unsatisfactory I am (even when I get things right,) and how much of the problem was due to the Zoloft. So, this past Monday, my psychiatrist thought it would be a good idea to add some Wellbutrin to the mix. He put me on the lowest dose-- 75mg. It's too soon just yet to be feeling any direct effect (although I am feeling particularly good-- but that may be because I'm quitting my job!) But I was just curious, has anyone else here been on the Zoloft-Wellbutrin combination? If so, I'd like to hear your thoughts!

-Ari

Ari, this is just my experience with SSRI's. I felt numb and detatched while on Celexa. Very lethargic if you will.
When stopped and immediately switched to Wellbutrin there was a noticable difference. Please remember, everyone is different and ymmv. (Your mileage may vary).
I am so sorry you had such a nasty workplace.
IMHO, I do think adding WB would make a remarkable difference.
Best of luck to you, sweetie. :bump:

:hearts:

Be Well....

~Lindsay ღ , Forum Super Administrator
Founder, depressionforums.org

Forum Super Administrator
DF member since June 2001 goldenvelope1jr.gif  

----
"I cannot make my mark for all time...those concepts are mutually exclusive.
"Lasting effect" is a self -contradictory term.  Meaning does not exist in the future, nor do I.  
Nothing will have meaning, "ultimately."
Nothing will even mean tomorrow what it did today.  Meaning changes with the context.  
My meaningfulness is in the here and now. It is enough that I may be of value to someone today.
It is enough that I make a difference now."  ~Lindsay    

Hotlines

kumanomi.gif

#3 Elmobane

Elmobane

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 04:29 PM

Greetings,

-Ari

Hi,
I normally dont post much, but i've been taking adderal and 150mg of zoloft for the past 2 years for ADHD and GAD. I did try zoloft and welbutrin for a few months, but after awhile it had the reverse effects on me and i had to quit the welbutrin. I've had no motivation or energy since i was a little kid. I've pretty much taken all of the different depression meds over the last 5+ years.

My friend had me try a non perscription remedy. I'm now not taking my Zoloft or adderal. Going on my second week and so far so good. I've now got alot more energy then i use to, but still not quite the energy i had with the adderal. I was taking 80mg of adderal a day so i think it just takes time to balance out. I also seem to be alot happier. Its kind of nice to finally have something that doesnt have side effects and I finally just feel good in general.

I'm not sure how the forum policy is on placing links or email addresses. Just email or private message me and i can give you all the info. I'll also keep you up to date on my progress.

#4 arlaur

arlaur

Senior Moderator

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for your responses, Lindsay and Elmobane. Lindsay, I'm going to have to stay on the Zoloft, largely because my problems include anxiety and pure-obsessional disorder (OCD without the "C" part.) Wellbutrin is great when depression is the only problem (as was the case with me in 2001, when I first arrived at this site,) but it's not effective for the other problems. So, my doctor put me on Wellbutrin to alleviate the numbness that may or may not be the side effect of Zoloft. Either way, it's my fourth day on the combination . . . so far so good . . .

-Ari
"Opportunity is not a lengthy visitor."-- Stephen Sondheim

"Give me my freedom for as long as I be; all I ask of living is to have no chains on me."-- Laura Nyro

#5 amy_e

amy_e

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 12:49 PM

It may just be a little mania talking, but I just started taking Zoloft (generic) with my Wellbutrin... and I LOVE it. This is day 9. I saw my councelor on day 4, and he noticed a change as well.
It's sooo important to remember that different drugs work (and work differently) for different people, but I felt more like myself (though as I mentioned, a little, ah, hyper) within a couple days of starting the Zoloft than I have in the last 5 years. The Wellbutrin was doing its job, but not quite well enough. At any rate, it seems this combination might be quite effective for me. I hope it works for you as well.
If it doesn't, I hope you find something that DOES help you. Even if these drugs don't fix everything, it certainly makes life a little easier to handle so that you can work on fixing things.
Best wishes!
A.

#6 rattman

rattman

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:07 PM

HI there,

Just checking in if anyone else here is taking Wellbutrin with Zoloft. I was on Zoloft for 12 years and stopped it about 2 years ago as I thought it was causing me to have panic attacks.

I had panic attacks now on Wellbutrin (been taking for 9 weeks) so the doctor thinks that adding Zoloft may help -- I don't have a clue. So I'll back down from 400mg to 300mg Wellbutrin a day, and add 25mg first week, then 50mg from then on of Zoloft.

It sucks because Wellbutrin really helps the anxiety and at 400mg has really helped my depression -- I sure hope backing down from 400mg to 300mg doesn't cause it to come back, even with adding Zoloft.

I was doing so well on Wellbutrin until the last couple days, went to a large meeting at work and bam -- could hardly make it thru the hour long meeting.

Any one else still on these 2 - would like to hear how it's working for you and what dosage you are on.

Thanks.

#7 monkey_dude

monkey_dude

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:52 PM

Could everyone please tell me if the Wellbutrin is helping them combat the sexual side effects of Zoloft or not? Or if you never had any of those side effects from the Zoloft, let me know. Thanks.

#8 rattman

rattman

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:55 PM

For me - yes -- it does help :) 350 MG Wellbutrin / 50mg Zoloft (will probably go up to 100mg)

Could everyone please tell me if the Wellbutrin is helping them combat the sexual side effects of Zoloft or not? Or if you never had any of those side effects from the Zoloft, let me know. Thanks.

Edited by rattman, 14 May 2007 - 10:56 PM.

#9 Deet

Deet

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:12 AM

I loved Wellbutrin, Ari, but I took it with Lex which I hated. God forbid I need meds again, but if I do, I'm gonna try the Zoloft/WB combo. Hope it works for you.
MOM!!! Phineas and Ferb are making a title sequence!!!

DX: Major depression/general anxiety
Rx's: Effexor, Lexapro, Lex/Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin, Buspar/Wellbutrin, Zoloft/Wellbutrin, Stablon, Cymbalta, Remeron, Nuvigil, and amoxapine in various combinations. Oh, and Xanax and trazodone from time to time.

#10 shiver

shiver

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:22 AM

I've been on this combination for about 5 months or so now. Overall, i can't say it's working good or not good. I have my very bad days, but i also have extremely good days. I've also started hallucinating, becoming depersonalized and having delusions while on it. I don't know if it's the meds or just me changing.

Good luck though !

#11 melin701

melin701

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:13 AM

Greetings,

-Ari

Ari, this is just my experience with SSRI's. I felt numb and detatched while on Celexa. Very lethargic if you will.
When stopped and immediately switched to Wellbutrin there was a noticable difference. Please remember, everyone is different and ymmv. (Your mileage may vary).
I am so sorry you had such a nasty workplace.
IMHO, I do think adding WB would make a remarkable difference.
Best of luck to you, sweetie. :flowers:

:hearts:

i have been on zoloft for 7 yrs due to seretonin levels off went to new dr. and explained my sex drive zilch, my intrest deminished my weight gain 30+ lbs, she recomended to add wellbutin to my daily regiment its been 1 month i feel good i have energy i have a sex drive to my husbands delight and so far i've lost 6 lbs. it has seemed to work well for me it all depends who you are and what your body reacts to always heed the advice of your physician. good luck to you, the workplace change will also be a large factor. p.s. always think possitive.

#12 sledge1017

sledge1017

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:11 PM

Hi there: I have been taking Zoloft 50mg for sometime now; I explained to my doc that I wanted to start taking WB again (took the WB XL 300 mg awhile ago but had dizzy spells when I stopped taking the Zoloft). The doc suggested that I continue taking the Zoloft 50 mg and he started me on WB SR 150 mg for one week and now I am up to 300 mg and Zoloft 50 mg. I feel really good, I have a lot of energy whereas before I didnt even want to get out of bed. No dizzy spells; my attitude is better still notice some spells of depression, like quick drops like I was on an elevator on the top floor and all of sudden I am dropping to the bottom floor (very quickly). It doesnt last for long but dealing with that is certainly fine with me as long as 95% of the time I am feeling much better. I have only been taking these 2 meds for about 2.5 weeks so I think in time I will be better.

Take care and good luck. Hope all goes well for you; give it a chance it doesnt hurt to try and see what happens, the reaction to a certain medicine is different for everyone.

:flowers: :hearts:
Sledge

"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls. The most massive characters are seared with scars." ...by Philosopher Khalil Gibran

"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles" ...by Charles Chaplin

"It has been said that time heals all wounds. I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue, and the pain lessens, but it is never gone" ...by Rose Kennedy

"Dont be a copy when you can be an original" ...by Unknown

#13 missjones

missjones

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:37 AM

Hi there: I have been taking Zoloft 50mg for sometime now; I explained to my doc that I wanted to start taking WB again (took the WB XL 300 mg awhile ago but had dizzy spells when I stopped taking the Zoloft). The doc suggested that I continue taking the Zoloft 50 mg and he started me on WB SR 150 mg for one week and now I am up to 300 mg and Zoloft 50 mg. I feel really good, I have a lot of energy whereas before I didnt even want to get out of bed. No dizzy spells; my attitude is better still notice some spells of depression, like quick drops like I was on an elevator on the top floor and all of sudden I am dropping to the bottom floor (very quickly). It doesnt last for long but dealing with that is certainly fine with me as long as 95% of the time I am feeling much better. I have only been taking these 2 meds for about 2.5 weeks so I think in time I will be better.

Take care and good luck. Hope all goes well for you; give it a chance it doesnt hurt to try and see what happens, the reaction to a certain medicine is different for everyone.

:flowers: :hearts:

Hello Sledge, has the wellbutrin helped counter the sexual side effects of Zoloft? Thank you -

#14 IcarusDaedalus

IcarusDaedalus

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:05 AM

Hello Sledge, has the wellbutrin helped counter the sexual side effects of Zoloft? Thank you -

Hello, I don't know about Sledge, but I have been taking Zoloft at 150mg for a little over a year. I was extremely happy with the Zoloft in its ability to help with my depression and social anxiety. But, I had pretty extreme delayed and lack of orgasm so I dropped the dose to 100mg. That helped very slightly but not enough.

Just recently I added Wellbutrin at 150mg and have been taking this for about 9 days and have noticed a decent increase in sensitivity in my penis and a much faster orgasm. I am still not sure if this has completely solved my issues, but it does seem to help. I will continue taking Wellbutrin and see if it is something that steadily allows me to orgasm again. I sure hope so.

I have noticed that I lost most of my appetite and have to force myself to eat food. But that seems to be diminishing now and returning back to normal. The only problem I have with this combination is that I have too much physical energy to sleep. I take my Wellbutrin in the morning, but even if I am mentally tired at night, my body feels like I should be jogging or doing jumping jacks (which, sadly doesn't help the problem I found out...).

I hope this is helpful, and I will try to update this as I continue to take the Wellbutrin.

#15 MistahWoodie

MistahWoodie

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:11 PM

I'm a new used to this site for one and also a new user of Zoloft. I'm a combat Vet who is trying any and all combo's to help me battle these PTSD mood swings that I have going on. I'm on both Zoloft and Welbutrin. My question is are there any side effects that a 28 yr old needs to worry about? Like any kind of sexual problems or anything else?
Some days you doubt everything everyone says to you, other days you doubt even yourself, the trick is to find one day where everything is possible and hold on.

#16 WilliamDominic

WilliamDominic

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:10 AM

Greetings,

-Ari

Hi,
I normally dont post much, but i've been taking adderal and 150mg of zoloft for the past 2 years for ADHD and GAD. I did try zoloft and welbutrin for a few months, but after awhile it had the reverse effects on me and i had to quit the welbutrin. I've had no motivation or energy since i was a little kid. I've pretty much taken all of the different depression meds over the last 5+ years.

My friend had me try a non perscription remedy. I'm now not taking my Zoloft or adderal. Going on my second week and so far so good. I've now got alot more energy then i use to, but still not quite the energy i had with the adderal. I was taking 80mg of adderal a day so i think it just takes time to balance out. I also seem to be alot happier. Its kind of nice to finally have something that doesnt have side effects and I finally just feel good in general.

I'm not sure how the forum policy is on placing links or email addresses. Just email or private message me and i can give you all the info. I'll also keep you up to date on my progress.

Hi. I don't know if you are still monitoring this site anymore because your post was five years ago, but I would love to know what the alternatives are that you found. My kids and I are all ADHD and GAD and we are looking at a lot of alternatives. The SSRIs like Zoloft and Wellbutrin seem like really really serious drug therapies. Please send me a short note regarding your alternatives and your experience if you would be so kind. Regards, Wm

Breathe More, Think Less

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users