Jump to content

  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.


I Don't Know What To Do-- Male Or Female Therapist? Psychologist Or Psychiatrist??

  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 buffalos313



    ID: 81581

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

I am a 24 year old female.. My family doctor recently prescribed me to Celexa. He recommended I see a psychologist and a psychiatrist. They mailed me a referral with a few names attached.. Some of the names attached are just behavioral centers. When I call they ask if I want a psychologist or a psychiatrist.. I don't know where to start because my doctor recommended I see both...

I don't know whether I should see a male or a female. Finding a female that accepts my insurance is becoming difficult.. I finally found a male that accepted it (a psychologist) and made an appointment with him. Have any of you experienced therapy with the opposite sex? Particularly females? Am I right in starting with a psychologist? Or should I see a psychiatrist first? I am so overwhelmed and I don't know where to begin. Please help. Any advice would be appreciated.


#2 Spiritual_Wanderer


    Community Assistant

    ID: 57536

  • DF Support
  • 5,036 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Utah

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

Hi. If it were me, I would probably start with a psychiatrist. He or she will "interview" you and you can get a general idea of what your psychological/emotional, etc. issue(s) might be. Then, he or she can help you find the right medication to be on, if that is what you choose/need. Celexa is a good antidepressant to start out trying - it works for many people. At that point, you could try and start seeing a therapist or psychologist. A psychiatrist deals with prescribing meds and more on the diagnosing side. A psychologist is more for long-term treatment to help you work on your issues. The psychiatrist helps more with identifying the issues and the psychologist helps with the "now what" phase.

I don't think it's better to have a male or female. I have had a couple female doctors/therapist, but mainly male. I haven't noticed a preference for either. Try not to be overwhelmed. It's good to just take the first step, as you have already done.
Many Blessings,

Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
Don't let the muggles get you down. ― J.K. Rowling

#3 Helium


    Community Assistant

    ID: 44830

  • DF Support
  • 1,311 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:29 PM

I was 24 years old a few weeks ago, now I´m 25, and I´m working on getting used to it lol. I´m a girl too.

My pdoc is the one that also provides me with therapy, so I don´t have to go someone else.

In my personal experience- surprisingly I get along more with my current male therapist than I ever did with my female therpists. I like the fact that he doesn´t over react or anything- he is extremely calm and I need that so I wouldn´t feel that at any moment he´s going to lock me up. Aside from that he´s very honest, open, and caring. At times I get mad at him, but overall we get along and he tells me what I need to hear rather than what I want to hear.

I wish you luck and I hope you find someone that could help you out.
"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?"

— Ernest Hemingway

#4 insidelookingout



    ID: 81952

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:The Gulf Coast

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

I think the most important factor is feeling comfortable with your therapist. You need to feel like you can let it all out.

It is frustrating how health care has evovlded to where you find it diffcult to find a female therapist but that is another issue. I have had problems like that before/

#5 Lisa15


    Community Assistant

    ID: 75690

  • DF Support
  • 582 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:United States

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

I've had both male and female therapists, and I agree that the gender isn't nearly as important as the person. For example, it was to a male therapist that I first verbalized sexual abuse I'd suffered as a child, and he couldn't have been more respectful, supportive or caring. And since you're already on the Celexa, perhaps visiting a psychologist first is the better route to go. But I wouldn't put off seeing the psychiatrist, though, so you can make sure you're on the right med/dosage. Best wishes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users