Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Alcohol And Prozac?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Emmaz

Emmaz

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

Hey Guys

It says on my medication fluxotine or whatever that im not allowed to drink alcohol? Im a depressed uni student and to be honest alcohol is keeping me going a heck of a lot, i cant not drink it. Advice? xxx

#2 RitaBrownEyes

RitaBrownEyes

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:25 PM

I don't know what would happen if you mixed the two however... alcohol is a depressant. I used to party a lot with my friends (I'm 21) and it was perfectly normal drinking alcohol makes me a happy drunk but then eventually it starts catching up to me and I suffered one of my lowest episodes of depression and I couldn't pick myself up for a while. Now I can't drink at all because it just makes me feel much more depressed.

From what I know... fluoxetine can cause fatigue and sedation.. I've had experience with that but if you drink alcohol with a medication that can cause fatigue it's never good.

I knew someone who died (she was 24 and perfectly healthy) who took anti depressants because she drank one night with them and stopped breathing in her sleep. I don't know what type of anti- depressants but I don't think it's worth the risk...
<.< ~ I tend to ramble a lot but there's always a point in what I post somewhere ~ >.>

#3 dawn28

dawn28

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:52 PM

Its not that you can't drink, its that you should not drink. Why? Because it will only make your depression worse. I am not just saying that, i know from experience it will make you feel worse. If you truley want to feel better and less depressed try to stay away from alcohol.

#4 LilyRain

LilyRain

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

What if you only drink occasionally? I generally only have a glass maybe once or twice a month, if that. Would that affect it?
Posted Image

#5 Emmaz

Emmaz

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

I appreciate the replys guys... the thing is as much as it says shouldn't drink alcohol, alcohol is a depressant, dont mix with medication... it is hard to think of that when you drink to numb the pain... hmm.

#6 Emmaz

Emmaz

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

Doubt it Lily

#7 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

One of the main reasons you are advised not to drink with on psychiatric meds (other then alcohol being a depressant which can make things worse) is because it's harder on your liver. Both meds and alcohol are taxing on your liver. I am on prozac and I still drink. I am not proud of it. It is easy to use it as a method of self-medicating. Best to avoid it because what now is a drink here and there can, in a couple years, turn into substance abuse and dependence.
  • ellebi likes this
Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
Don't let the muggles get you down. ― J.K. Rowling

#8 strnm

strnm

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

I take generic Prozac and generic Wellbutrin Sr and my doctor gave me what I think is good advice about antidepressants and alcohol: Always try to keep it to 3 drinks or less. I notice that when I drink on these meds I get a little drunker, faster, so what I've done is really scale back my drinking. It seems to work for me and I don't have bad side effects from drinking on my meds.

Edited by Spiritual_Wanderer, 28 June 2012 - 10:52 AM.
Terms of Service

#9 LilyRain

LilyRain

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

I'm not really at risk for alcohol abuse (I can barely stand the flavor to finish even one fruity cocktail), but I've been nervous so I've essentially abstained. I suppose a lot of people drink some and are totally fine, so maybe I should lighten up a little bit.
Posted Image

#10 TurtleAU

TurtleAU

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:33 AM

I found that when I mixed the two when I first started taking prozac I broke into an uncontrollable rage.
Now I've found that I just get drunk easier.

#11 ellebi

ellebi

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:19 AM

I personally have drank on Lexapro, Lyrica, Xanax, Valium etc etc Yes you feel like complete and utter horrible the next day and the hangovers are worse but it hasnt stopped me over the past 6years

#12 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,848 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

From my experience, alcohol completely negates the effect of Prozac. It would take several days to a week of abstaining before the good effects returned. Also, it is metabolized through the liver and you could be unecessarily over burdoning you liver with the mixture.
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#13 Epictetus

Epictetus

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

Hi Emmaz,

I like your screen avatar.

There are several reasons why alcohol and anti-depressants like Prozac are a bad combination:

1. As others here have mentioned, alcohol can counteract the actions of the Prozac. Both drinking alcohol and Prozac cross the blood brain barrier. Depression causes biological disturbances in sleep. One of the effects of Prozac is to restore healthy sleep architecture as part of the healing process. Alcohol can provide sedation but disrupts sleep architecture at the very time one is taking Prozac to restore it. This is just example...
2. Your thought processes and mental alertness can be impaired, sometimes severely, sometimes paradoxically.
3. Combining the two can cause dangerous side effects, even paradoxical and unforeseen side effects
4. As mentioned above, liver toxicity
5. People with depression are at high risk for alcohol abuse and addition and so it is best to exercise great caution concerning the consumption of alcohol for this reason alone.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I wish you the best!!!

Edited by Ep1ctetus, 19 July 2012 - 08:53 PM.

Your brain is your best friend.  It works 24 hours a day to keep you alive, healthy and happy.  As such it deserves love, respect, compassion, encouragement, understanding and consolation.  It is not an all-powerful all-perfect being.  It makes mistakes.  It can become ill.  But it always tries to make your health its #1 priority.  Where could one find a friend like that?  Even when you are sleeping it is trying to help you.    So it deserve love in good times and bad, it its successes and its failures, in sickness and in health.  It doesn't deserve to be mentally beat up with insults like:  weak, lazy, stupid,  loser, no good.  It does tens of thousands of strong, brave, clever, wise, good and beautiful things each day for you.

If depression is related to hatred of the brain [even unconscious or organically caused], then it seems like learning to love the brain is one of the ways out of depression.  If putting a sense of life-or-death urgency on the brain in non-life-or-death situations stresses the brain out and leads to anxiety, then it seems like learning to be less demanding, more realistic and more compassion to the brain is one of the ways out of paralyzing anxiety.  

#14 Sapphire11

Sapphire11

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:11 AM

From my experience I would avoid alcohol, I've been on Prozac for 2 months and had a large number of drinks on Saturday night and although I didn't have a hangover I felt so low on Sunday it reminded me of how I felt before taking Prozac and finally today after 3 days I feel back to normal. It's reminded me its not worth it for feeling like crap for days after.

#15 Hope4theBest

Hope4theBest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

Alcohol is a depressant.

My ex BIL was manic- His dr prescribed Prozac and he drank-alot.

I think some people drink alot to counter-act the manic feeling,( i.e. if they should not be on Prozac in the first place.) My brother in law was not depressed, imo he was manic.

I wouldnt recommend it but its jmo.
IF YOU ARE LONELY WHEN YOU ARE ALONE , THEN YOU ARE IN BAD COMPANY
~Jean Paul Sartre

#16 tokyoswoon

tokyoswoon

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:25 PM

I am also on Prozac and made the choice to quit drinking. I have been sober for almost a week, and as someone who likes to drink, it's been tough. I've found my depression to be much worse when I was using substances and drinking so I'd like to see what the Prozac can do for me without the alcohol being involved.

#17 LilyRain

LilyRain

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

I am also on Prozac and made the choice to quit drinking. I have been sober for almost a week, and as someone who likes to drink, it's been tough. I've found my depression to be much worse when I was using substances and drinking so I'd like to see what the Prozac can do for me without the alcohol being involved.

I'm glad to hear you're staying sober! I don't drink much, I find that it messes with my meds a bit and makes me feel sad again.
Posted Image

#18 sober4life

sober4life

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:38 PM

Mixing alcohol and medication can be serious. I know someone who died from mixing medications with alcohol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users