Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Short Term/long Term Goals?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 RitaBrownEyes

RitaBrownEyes

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

Short term...

- get back on anti depressants

- get a job I feel useful in

- learn some type of martial arts

- go back to bikram yoga

- learn how to do sugar "waxing"

Long term...

- take psychology courses

- go back to massage therapy school

I hope to complete all this within 5 years.

What are yours? I like to hear them and I figure if you have a goal someone knows a lot about they can give you tips and advice. Also creating goals and steps to complete them is a good step towards getting better as long as you make them reasonable. I would love to hear what you have to say :)

<.< ~ I tend to ramble a lot but there's always a point in what I post somewhere ~ >.>

#2 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

Great, Super ideas and Goals.

Just get up and running now and be determined and passionate.

Jim Bow
  • RitaBrownEyes likes this
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#3 modernphilistine

modernphilistine

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

Actually, I filled out an application to go back to college today (speaking of long term goals). The school is a bit out of reach based on my most recent scores and transcripts but since I'd be returning to school as a "non-traditional" student, I'm hoping that will increase my chances.

Other than that my short term goals are the same as the always are: work out, lose weight, make time for me, work on crafts, read all the books in my book queue.

Anyone actaully acheive the goals they set out to meet? I dont seem to be able to get past the list making part....
- Meaghan

"I know the world's a b i t c h don't get me wrong
You've got to give the world the finger
You've got to sing a happy song"
- Rhett Miller

If I live through the night
I could be alright
It could make a good song or something
I've been trying to give myself reasons to live
But I really can't think of one thing

I drive around
I walk around in circles
'Cause I've got no sense of direction
I guess I've got no sense at all

#4 govinda

govinda

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

Rita, great goals both short an long term. Thanks for posting this topic.

My goals:

- Take 2 classes over the summer
- Make more time for my Self
- Get back to doing yoga regualrly
_ Make more time for my Self
- Excercise regualry and make healthy eating choices
- Create healthy friendships

Long Term:

- Graduate from graduate school next May
- Sit for my lisencing exam
- Get my LCADC lisence

- Maybe do some research one day.... I am interested in the effects of yoga and complimentary/ alternative medicine on mental health and chronic illness.

- Get a job and be financially stable
-Get out of an unhealthy relationship
We come from stronger stuff than feelings,
Essence does not fail or fade, diminish, or trade reality for illusion.

We are wordless, wide and wise beyond time. Within us is a flame of truth that never dies. Let that be the focal point of life. Let that be the light aht guides us from the shadows.- Danna Faulds

#5 govinda

govinda

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

Actually, I filled out an application to go back to college today (speaking of long term goals). The school is a bit out of reach based on my most recent scores and transcripts but since I'd be returning to school as a "non-traditional" student, I'm hoping that will increase my chances.

Other than that my short term goals are the same as the always are: work out, lose weight, make time for me, work on crafts, read all the books in my book queue.

Anyone actaully acheive the goals they set out to meet? I dont seem to be able to get past the list making part....

Actually,

It is possible, yes I am reaching my goals. A year ago, I did not know if I would be accepted to graduate school, and how or even if I woud go. Somehow , it all worked out. Then, I had to get over that crazystatistics reuqirement which I thought I would never pass.

I too am a non-traditional student. YOU CAN DO IT....... one step at a time.

We are wordless, wide and wise beyond time. Within us is a flame of truth that never dies. Let that be the focal point of life. Let that be the light aht guides us from the shadows.- Danna Faulds

#6 Cupcake_girl

Cupcake_girl

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

Short term goals:
* Starting with couseling again
* Getting through my first year of college
* Have an awesome birthday lol.
* Take good care of myself
* And feeling better one day at the time.

Long term goals:
* Having selfesteem and loving myself for who I am
* Having my first relationship
* Doing something what is truly my passion
* And just be happy :)

That would be perfect but now I'm trying to appreciate what I do have instead of what I don't.

#7 RitaBrownEyes

RitaBrownEyes

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

My goals:

Long Term:

- Get my LCADC lisence

- Maybe do some research one day.... I am interested in the effects of yoga and complimentary/ alternative medicine on mental health and chronic illness.

Modernphilistine - I'm actually making a homemade sugaring gel for sugar waxing as I type this :) so hopefully within the next hour I will have completed a goal successfully

Govinda- Have you ever tried Bikram Yoga? It's yoga in a 105 degree room. The heat gives you more flexibility and makes for faster progress in doing the poses successfully. I love it so much more than regular yoga and recommend it to everyone.
<.< ~ I tend to ramble a lot but there's always a point in what I post somewhere ~ >.>

#8 FeelinBlueAllTheTime

FeelinBlueAllTheTime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

Short Term...

-start exercising again

-lose 10 lbs.

-take care of myself in small ways every day

-work on my relationship with my husband

Long Term...

-lose 30 lbs.

-find a job

-try to seek professional help one more time (I quit therapy)

-try to heal from past trauma/abuse

-work on my low self-esteem and poor body image

-learn how to cook really well

-take an art or dance class

-make jewelry

#9 addict1968

addict1968

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:13 AM

Short Term:

- Get into rehab and quit smoking and drinking
- Continue to take meds (changes, substitutions etc) even though side effects suck every time a change is made.
- Get into some sort of therapy along with meds.

Long Term:

- Stay sober for ever
- Give myself and my family more time
- Start back on my hobbies - I used to love trekking and photography
- Try to have a normal/happy life

@Rita - thank you for starting this thread. Made me think of what I want to do - right now in severe depression and all I was stuck with were negative thoughts and this post helped me think of something positive and get me out of the vicious cycle. So thank you!!

DF sure has been a life saver for me.

Take care,
Diagnosis: Bi-Polar II, Currently in Major Depression, GAD
Medication: Sertraline 150 mg (Zoloft), Olanzapine 5mg (Zyprexa)

#10 vega57

vega57

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Location:southern Cal east corner of state, Coachella Valley

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:17 AM

Short term...
- go back to bikram yoga

Long term...

What are yours? I like to hear them and I figure if you have a goal someone knows a lot about they can give you tips and advice. Also creating goals and steps to complete them is a good step towards getting better as long as you make them reasonable. I would love to hear what you have to say :)

at my age i don't make to many long term goals, lol. my over all goal is to live as best life as i can, help others when i am able to. be a role model to my family, church member and to those who are willing to listen and learn from my years of living.

#11 vega57

vega57

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Location:southern Cal east corner of state, Coachella Valley

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:19 AM

Short term...
- go back to bikram yoga

Long term...

at my age i don't make to many long term goals, lol. my over all goal is to live as best life as i can, help others when i am able to. be a role model to my family, church member and to those who are willing to listen and learn from my years of living.

good morning browneye, very good goals and in senseable time frame. hope and pray that you achieve them and much more. ha, what a blessing to be young, or least young at heart. hang in there. many blessings to you. Rev.

#12 RitaBrownEyes

RitaBrownEyes

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:57 AM

:) Thank you so much and good morning to you too

#13 govinda

govinda

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

My goals:

Long Term:

- Get my LCADC lisence

Modernphilistine - I'm actually making a homemade sugaring gel for sugar waxing as I type this :) so hopefully within the next hour I will have completed a goal successfully

Govinda- Have you ever tried Bikram Yoga? It's yoga in a 105 degree room. The heat gives you more flexibility and makes for faster progress in doing the poses successfully. I love it so much more than regular yoga and recommend it to everyone.

No, I have not tried Bickram yoga. I thoght I might try this summer when I have more time to practise.

Having said that, the flexibility of the body is not my goal for yoga. I have been studying and teaching yoga many years. There are so many types og yoga; and then there area also the 8 branches of yoga. Yamas, niyamas, asana, pranayama, prtayahara, dharana, dhyana and samadhi.

There is jnana yoga, the yoga of wisdom, bhakti yoga, the yoga of devition, karma yoga, the yoga of selfless service, and there are more. They all interest me. Bikram yoga is one form of yoga that is called Hatha yoga; it focuses mostly on the body. While that is good, becasue we need to have a healthy body, my interest in yoga is a bit different. For me, yoga is a way of life,- the aim of which is to expreince life to the fullest in each moment. My hatha yoga practice is but a piece of that.

It is grat to have so many types of yoga and styles, becasue different syles appeal to different people. They all point in the same direction, inward- and ultimatly to Self realization.

#14 RitaBrownEyes

RitaBrownEyes

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

My goals:

Long Term:

- Get my LCADC lisence

No, I have not tried Bickram yoga. I thoght I might try this summer when I have more time to practise.

Having said that, the flexibility of the body is not my goal for yoga. I have been studying and teaching yoga many years. There are so many types og yoga; and then there area also the 8 branches of yoga. Yamas, niyamas, asana, pranayama, prtayahara, dharana, dhyana and samadhi.

There is jnana yoga, the yoga of wisdom, bhakti yoga, the yoga of devition, karma yoga, the yoga of selfless service, and there are more. They all interest me. Bikram yoga is one form of yoga that is called Hatha yoga; it focuses mostly on the body. While that is good, becasue we need to have a healthy body, my interest in yoga is a bit different. For me, yoga is a way of life,- the aim of which is to expreince life to the fullest in each moment. My hatha yoga practice is but a piece of that.

It is grat to have so many types of yoga and styles, becasue different syles appeal to different people. They all point in the same direction, inward- and ultimatly to Self realization.

That's very insightful :)

I enjoy bikram yoga because it helps me with all my problems areas wonderfully. Back pain almost clears up completely after three classes, I suffer severe stomach problems when I get anxiety/panic attacks which happens often and this type of yoga releases tension and pains I've had that constantly gets built up, and circulation. I have a phenomenon called raynaud's disease, no one can really explain it, but it makes the circulation in my hands and feet near non existant and in the winter I can get frost bite and other tissue damage easily in the cold. Bikram has also helped with that surprisingly.

It's really interesting that you teach yoga, I also find it very calming for the mind.
  • govinda likes this

#15 dreamweaverguns

dreamweaverguns

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

short term

everydaay get out of my comfort zone, do something now rather than later
take up cycling again
smile every time someone p..ses me off

Long term
gain confidence, get promoted, help others

#16 govinda

govinda

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

My goals:

Long Term:

- Get my LCADC lisence

That's very insightful :)

I enjoy bikram yoga because it helps me with all my problems areas wonderfully. Back pain almost clears up completely after three classes, I suffer severe stomach problems when I get anxiety/panic attacks which happens often and this type of yoga releases tension and pains I've had that constantly gets built up, and circulation. I have a phenomenon called raynaud's disease, no one can really explain it, but it makes the circulation in my hands and feet near non existant and in the winter I can get frost bite and other tissue damage easily in the cold. Bikram has also helped with that surprisingly.

It's really interesting that you teach yoga, I also find it very calming for the mind.

Thank you Rita. It is great you are seeing so many benefits from Bikram yoga. I just read an article the other day while doing some researchon the benefits of Bikram yoga and how it helped someone with a drug addiction. She got off of herion, stayed sober and then became a Bikram yoga instructor. Really amazing story.

I am glad that you are reaping the many benefits of yoga. It is very calmng for the mind; and when you feel better, that helps your mind be more at peace as well.

If you ever have any questions about yoga, feel free to PM me. I would be happy to try to help out.

Namaste,

#17 sober4life

sober4life

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

I need to lose about 10 pounds.

#18 DarkRain

DarkRain

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

Short term goals:
get back into the habit of drawing
buy some more paints and start painting
pass my English class

Long term goals:
practice my violin again
earn my degree and be able to get a stable job
live independently in a nice house
  • shyboots and Violet31 like this
"There is some good in this world Mr. Frodo and it's worth fighting for."

"I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil."

"My friends are my power! And I'm theirs!"

Posted Image

#19 Handon Frypan

Handon Frypan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

I look at the long term, which is indefinite, and the short term, which I can usually microunit into the upcoming day.

So, today: Take care of my stomach. Hopefully see a movie.

Indefinite/indeterminate: lose weight, take care of my heart, go out and do stuff when able, and make sure that I am indeed able.

#20 Rosegirl

Rosegirl

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:36 PM

My generally long-term goal is to master my depression. (I have a lot of other goals too, but to master my depression is the most important one and definitely what I will put before anything else).

My short-term goals are to develop better and better tools to do so.

These short-term goals I work with almost daily in a thread in this room.

«Mention One (Or More) Thing(S) You Will Do To Morrow To Cope With Your Mental Health. Better Opportunities For Better Mental Health (May Be Small). #2#
http://www.depressio...may-be-small-2/

Edited by Rosegirl, 04 May 2012 - 12:36 PM.

It is well to be up before daybreak,

for such habits contribute to health, wealth, and wisdom. (Aristotle)

The things that we pray for, good Lord,
give us your grace to work for.
(
St. Thomas More)

goldenvelope1jr.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users