Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Generic Meds

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ksdan

ksdan

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

Hello all!

Its been a while since I've been here. Recently hit a snag with my anxiety and depression. Not seeking medical advice here but was wondering if anyone has ever had or heard of anyone having difficulty when switching to generic anti-depressants. Ten days ago I switched to generic paxil 12.5 cr. Five days ago I began to feel different. Alot of my symptoms returned. Yesterday I sobbed uncontrollably. I just feel like I've dropped off quite a bit. I wonder if this is just a major mood swing, if its in my head the generic isnt as good, or if the generic could not be as strong. I will be taking this up with my doctor in two weeks. Thanks on advance to anyone who has experienced this.

#2 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

Hi KSdan,

Well unfortunately this is a problem when you switch from a named to a generic brand. This has happened to me as well. In principle and to pass the FDA requirements both named and generic brands are exactly the same in content.

In reality lots of people find the switch over to a generic brand leaves them with an ineffective medication and a return to depression. I have researched this myself and found it is a problem everywhere in Europe and the US. Now I also found that some generic brands of Paxil for instance are OK.

It appears that the different generic brands of paxil ( I know of 3 different manufacturers) are also different from each other in effectiveness for different people.

So go and see your Doctor and ask to go back on the named brand . If you start off on a generic brand and they are effective it is of course not a problem!

Best Wishes

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#3 starr

starr

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

Hi,

I know that generics are supposed to be
the same active ingredient but my pdoc
says that for prozac (for an example) that
the generic is not as effecftive according to