Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ksdan

Generic Meds

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Advertisement

Hello all!

Its been a while since I've been here. Recently hit a snag with my anxiety and depression. Not seeking medical advice here but was wondering if anyone has ever had or heard of anyone having difficulty when switching to generic anti-depressants. Ten days ago I switched to generic paxil 12.5 cr. Five days ago I began to feel different. Alot of my symptoms returned. Yesterday I sobbed uncontrollably. I just feel like I've dropped off quite a bit. I wonder if this is just a major mood swing, if its in my head the generic isnt as good, or if the generic could not be as strong. I will be taking this up with my doctor in two weeks. Thanks on advance to anyone who has experienced this.

You might also be interested in:

Posted

Hi KSdan,

Well unfortunately this is a problem when you switch from a named to a generic brand. This has happened to me as well. In principle and to pass the FDA requirements both named and generic brands are exactly the same in content.

In reality lots of people find the switch over to a generic brand leaves them with an ineffective medication and a return to depression. I have researched this myself and found it is a problem everywhere in Europe and the US. Now I also found that some generic brands of Paxil for instance are OK.

It appears that the different generic brands of paxil ( I know of 3 different manufacturers) are also different from each other in effectiveness for different people.

So go and see your Doctor and ask to go back on the named brand . If you start off on a generic brand and they are effective it is of course not a problem!

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

Posted

Hi,

I know that generics are supposed to be

the same active ingredient but my pdoc

says that for prozac (for an example) that

the generic is not as effecftive according to

her experience with lots of patients.

Normally she is for generics but there

are some instances where it can make

a difference.