Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

I Just Started Lexapro . . . Will I Ever Feel Better?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Packin2012

Packin2012

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

I lost my job over 2-years ago, my unemployement ended in December. I have no Job, and no Income. I'm 57 years of age, and can not find any work
anywhere I look. Part-time, full-time. Nothing. I don't know how I am going to live. I live in a house with 2 room-mates. They are having to support me.
I can't believe I'm in this situation. I've had to file Bankruptcy and will be losing my car. I've never felt so bad in my life. I finally had to make an appt.
to see a Psychiatrist. My depression and anxiety had reached an all-time high and I couldn't function. All my aches and pains worsened, my back pain, my diabetic peripheral neuropathy. I wasn't sleeping. I laid awake all night worrying.....

The Psychiatrist put me on Lexapro and Xanax. He started me off at 5-mg. of Lexapro twice a day. He just increased it to 10-mg. twice a day.
I don't know what Lexapro is going to do for me. I'm afraid it will cause weight gain, and I am already overweight.

I just want to stop worrying and being sad and depressed over having no job and no income. I've never felt so horrible in my life.......

Will I ever feel better ... ?

#2 AquaViolet

AquaViolet

Senior Moderator

• Admin Team-Moderator
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

Hi Packin2012, and welcome to DF! We are glad to have you here. This is a wonderful community, filled with caring understanding people.
You will receive a lot of emotional support here.
I'm glad to hear that you are seeing a psychiatrist. Hopefully, it won't take too long before the Lexapro kicks in.
It can take some time to feel the benefits of an antidepressant, but I hope you are feeling better soon.

There is a lot of good information about depression, and different medications, here on this forum.
Please make yourself feel at home, take a look around the site, and post wherever you feel most comfortable.
~~AquaViolet~~
Posted Image
Posted Image

My Diagnoses: Severe OCD, panic disorder, depression
My Current meds: Geodon, Cymbalta, Klonopin, Lyrica 

My Previous meds:
Prozac, Paxil, Celexa,
Lexapro, Luvox, Zoloft, Clomipramine (a horrible med for me),
Xanax, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Risperdal,
Gabapentin (this med did nothing), Buspar (also did nothing)

#3 Rahul

Rahul

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:14 AM

sure you will feel better. this is your first med. and lexapro is a good choice (it helped me). how long have you been on it? you have to give it a minimum of two weeks to show results. this is true for all ssris.

not everyone experiences weight gain on lexapro. i did not. it might make you a bit lethargic and unmotivated but that will go away in a few months. you have to keep up your exercise regimen.
I'm not a doctor or a health professional and any advice in my post is purely my personal opinion and anecdotal.

Dx: MDD
Rx: 10 mg escitalopram + 15mg mitrazapine + 20 mg chlordiazepoxide (all
at bedtime)

#4 Ronnie

Ronnie

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:44 AM

The question you ask is not an easy one to answer... nobody knows for sure that you will all of a sudden *feel better*. Most antidepressants work on most people. You're situation is tough. I highly recommend therapy with your medication management. You are in a tough situation with everything that you have and are going through. Here is a little video for you that might help. Good Luck.
Please pm me for link.

Edited by AquaViolet, 14 April 2012 - 09:07 AM.
TOS

Current meds: Lexapro 10mg, Wellbutrin SR 150mg 2x day

As needed: Restoril or Trazadone for sleep.  Klonopin infrequently, Nuvigil for shift work.

Previous meds I tried:  Paxil, Prozac, Cymbalta, Pristiq, Abilify, Buspar, Xanax, Depakote, Doxepin.

Nothing real can be threatened.
Nothing unreal exists.
Herein lies the peace of God.
~A Course in Miracles

#5 DreamAgain

DreamAgain

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 574 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

Hi Packin2012,

Welcome to the Depression forum...I saw and replied to your other post. Please don't despair, there are a lot of really nice regular people on this forum that want to help.

I can related to much of what you are going through.I am just telling you the following because I want you to know that you are not alone. Our economy is causing many people to suffer. I am in my 50's, lost my high-paying job at the end of 2010 and have been unemployed since. My husband also lost his job and we just recently ran out of unemployment. He is trying to get something going but there are no real jobs where we live so he is trying to find something to do on the internet. In the meantime we are depleating our meager retirement, with a penalty and we owe $20k to the government already...Both our cars broke down, We both have chronic illness/disease. Point is we are in pretty bad shape. We just got food stamps so we can eat...I finally got to the point where I am angry but not at myself. I am angry that our government and society isn't taking care of it's people properly...

I ended up having a nervous breakdown, constant depression, crying all the time, debilitating pain, diabetes, neuropathy, osteoarthritis, degenerated joints in lower back, knee and hip...Then on top of that, where to live because we lost our home to the bank...credit card debt, you name it...You obviously totally understand this scenario...

So, does it get better?

YES! I finally got on medication, started going to doctors, getting real help for my chronic illness and problems. My therapist says that recovery is like a stool with four legs, you need all four legs for the stool to stand. The legs are Medication, Therapy, Exercise and Diet, and Social. You have the medication started...I would recommend getting a therapist that you and talk to and get tips on how to process your emotions and feelings to start thinking positive. My therapist calls this "mental judo." The other parts of recovery are exercise/diet. You will feel better if you start exercising...little starts. I got one of those floor cycles that you sit in a chair and use. I can't do a lot at a time but it gets my blood flowing. There are also chair pilates and exercises that you can do if you have problems standing a long time. I got one on Amazon for like $5 that is great. Proper nutrition is essential to functioning well. I started taking vitamins, including St. John's Wort, 5-HTP, and Niacin. Read up and do research. There are lots of good options. Next is social. The depression forum is a great place to give and receive feedback and get ideas. There is a lot of history, stories and articles available on this site, take a look around. You obviously have friends that care...I know it is hard. Please hang in there...I really believe that it does get better. I'm doing better mentally and physically now just waiting for the economics to improve.

Hang in there...

Yet, there is hope..
Your friend, DreamAgain

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around."
Leo Buscaglia

"...there is no beginning or end with mental illness, just one big middle. Sometimes that thought bums me out, but other times it takes the pressure off trying to get cured."
BenLP, friend on the DepressionForum :D

Post and let go...DreamAgain

#6 Packin2012

Packin2012

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

Thank you for your reply and kind words. Perhaps I'm in the initial "panic" mode, but above and beyond that I feel like a total failure, and I feel I've lost
everything. I'm trying to hold myself together, I'm hoping the Lexapro will help. I have to limit my doctor visits because of the co-pays. All of my medications
per month cost alot of money. I'm diabetic, and I am a heart patient, so I am on alot of medication, including Insulin, which is not cheap. I'm worried about
finances and how I'm going to live. I don't qualify for any assistance anywhere, not even Medicaid. The job search has been futile. I can not find anyone
who will hire me for anything. I applied for Social Security Disability and was denied. I feel very much alone ......and dont' know where to turn.

#7 djepicurus

djepicurus

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

God I feel for all you guys I really do. I'm in my 30's right now and I have a job thank god, albeit low paying, but at least it's a job and health insurance. I'm praying for you guys that something comes through soon. In regards to Lexapro, it is a helpful medication to me. I am an alcoholic with anxiety and depression and with Lexapro I was able to achieve the longest stretch of sobriety and personal development I have ever had. Unfortunately I had a relapse do to a difficult situation and was pretty much drunken and insane for 2 years. However I now have 10 months sober and I'm back on the Lexapro which really helps with the anxiety. It takes a few weeks to kick in though so give it time.

#8 ClarissaD

ClarissaD

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

I'm really hoping to feel better soon. Been on lexapro for a month and just upped my dosage. Anxiety has lessened but depression has certainly worsened. I'm trying to stay positive but I can certainly relate with your desperate want to feel better. Hopefully we can all get through this.
20 year old female from Australia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users