Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Cymbalta - How Long Should It Take To Adjust To This Med?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 mommell

mommell

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

I started on 20 mg of Cymbalta on the 13th of March and changed to 30 mg. on the 23rd. Every day is different: one day I feel driven to keep busy. The next I feel anxious. The next "I don't give a darn." I believe I'm feeling less depressed, but I'd love to know how long to expect the weirdness to last.

Thanks for any input.

Mommell

#2 brokenXbutterflyXwings

brokenXbutterflyXwings

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

It typically takes a month-6 weeks. But 30 mg isnt a very high dose, so you might not notice a huge difference.
~Lauren~

Major Depression
Panic Disorder
Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Social Anxiety Disorder
Seasonal Affective Disorder
Fibromyalgia
Binge Eating Disorder
Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS)

Cymbalta
Prozac
Wellbutrin
Tramadol-Tylenol mix
Neurontin
Seroquel
Clonapin
Flexaril
Vitamin D3

DBT
CBT
Exposure
EMDR
Art Therapy
Chiropractic
Yoga
Meditation

#3 mommell

mommell

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

Thanks for your input. I seem to be very sensitive to all meds, so for me, 30mg is a lot. I sure hope I get past these symptoms soon. I wake up different each morning.

Mommell

#4 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

Hi Mommell,

It took a good month for me to start having days of "normalcy" and a decrease in the start-up side effects. I slowly increased my dosage and now take 90 mg., which has proven most helpful.

I hope you don't go through too much suffering with Cymbalta, but most ADs cause some sort of start-up side effects.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise
  • mommell likes this
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 mommell

mommell

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

Hi, MaddieLouise.
Thanks for your input. My fingers are crossed that I'll adjust to Cymbalta soon.

We've tried eight (yes, 8) different ADs and they all had side effects I couldn't tolerate. So far, even though I'm going through emotional/mental swings, I don't have to live in the bathroom. (hope that isn't too specific.)

I find that if I take .5mg of Ativan (the generic) before I go to sleep, even though I wake up during the night, I can fall asleep again. For months, I'd wake up at 4 a.m. and just watch the clock until 7 a.m., and still didn't want to get out of bed.

How long have you been on Cymbalta?

Attitude and Gratitude,

Mommell

#6 brokenXbutterflyXwings

brokenXbutterflyXwings

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:48 PM

I have gotten as high as 120mg but that was too sedating for me. I now take 60mg, I've taken Cymbalta for 5 years. I find it helps my fibromyalgia more than it helps my depression.
~Lauren~

Major Depression
Panic Disorder
Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Social Anxiety Disorder
Seasonal Affective Disorder
Fibromyalgia
Binge Eating Disorder
Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS)

Cymbalta
Prozac
Wellbutrin
Tramadol-Tylenol mix
Neurontin
Seroquel
Clonapin
Flexaril
Vitamin D3

DBT
CBT
Exposure
EMDR
Art Therapy
Chiropractic
Yoga
Meditation

#7 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

Hi, MaddieLouise.
Thanks for your input. My fingers are crossed that I'll adjust to Cymbalta soon.

We've tried eight (yes, 8) different ADs and they all had side effects I couldn't tolerate. So far, even though I'm going through emotional/mental swings, I don't have to live in the bathroom. (hope that isn't too specific.)

I find that if I take .5mg of Ativan (the generic) before I go to sleep, even though I wake up during the night, I can fall asleep again. For months, I'd wake up at 4 a.m. and just watch the clock until 7 a.m., and still didn't want to get out of bed.

How long have you been on Cymbalta?

Attitude and Gratitude,

Mommell

Hi Mommell,

I've been on Cymbalta for 5 years, with about 4.5 of those at 90 mg., and thus far it's still working for me. I understand the stomach upset. Maybe if you eat something light and then take the Cymbalta about 20 minutes later, it would settle with you better.

I had some horrible side effects; the worst being the insomnia and just feeling nauseated all the time. It finally went away (although slowly) starting at a 4 weeks in.

I do think it's worth the wait if you can tolerate it.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 crazyguy

crazyguy

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

I started on 20 mg of Cymbalta on the 13th of March and changed to 30 mg. on the 23rd. Every day is different: one day I feel driven to keep busy. The next I feel anxious. The next "I don't give a darn." I believe I'm feeling less depressed, but I'd love to know how long to expect the weirdness to last.

Thanks for any input.

Mommell

mommell
Hi, I'm on cymbalta 90mg. It works pretty good for me but there are still times when I DO get depressed. I have some other medical problems and visiting my GP always makes me crash. I started cymbalta at 60 mg from an SSRI and at that time I noticed almost immediate improvement. When I went from 60 to 90 mg the improvement was a long time coming. Constipation is my main side effect. Good luck and please keep us informed. Take Care!

#9 Pippin12

Pippin12

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:50 AM

Hi Mommell, I'm on 60mg Cymbalta. I started on 30mg four weeks ago and moved up to 60mg last week. I've found that the side effects have gradually got less and less as the weeks have progressed. My anxiety has increased a bit since my dose increased but it's worth it for the easing of my depression which has happened almost straight away. My side effects have been anxiety, a dense brain fog (don't know how else to describe it), and increased appetite as well as a bit of nausea and constipation. All of these are easing off though. Good luck with it,

Px

#10 mommell

mommell

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

Thanks all for your responses. It's really encouraging to know that the light at the end of the tunnel isn't just another train coming at me. Gradually, I am feeling better, and my Psych is positive I'm better. I have a few what I call phobias and I'm hoping Cymbalta will help me with those. Did any of you feel like it was one step forward and two steps backwards with the med at first? I feel so much better in the evening, almost normal for me. It's getting out of bed in the a.m. that's difficult. Thanks again,

Mommell

#11 Pippin12

Pippin12

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

Hi Mommell

I definitely found the mornings worse at first. My anxiety was a good bit worse and for the first 2-3 weeks I had like a densely foggy mind where everything around me seemed unreal and far removed. That gradually has worn off and this week has been much better. I found that my side effects were better in the evening too. I'm really glad you're feeling a bit better. Hopefully you will see further improvement very soon. Take care

Px

Edited by Pippin12, 15 April 2012 - 01:20 PM.

#12 mommell

mommell

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

Hi, Pippin,
Sometimes it feels like I'm outside myself, in a fog. That comes and goes. I'm encouraged by your feedback. Keep those coming...
I wish I could throw some positive thoughts your way; maybe as things get better and I'm more adjusted, we can have a two-way discussion.

Thanks again,

Mommell

#13 junebug01

junebug01

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

Hi mommell,
What you are describing with the 'being outside of yourself' could have been me about six weeks ago or so. But it does get better. I wish you luck and just take it day by day. :)
  • mommell likes this

#14 mommell

mommell

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

Hi, junebug01,
I think depression is starting to lift (and my Psychiatrist thinks I'm doing so much better.) Every day brings something different. I wish I could pin it down to what makes it a "good day."

Thanks for your note.

-M- :flirt:

#15 junebug01

junebug01

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

If only our minds were that easy to decipher! Take care and keep us posted. :)

#16 Pippin12

Pippin12

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

Really great you feel the depression is starting to lift Mommell. I hope the progress continues well for you,
all the best,
Px

#17 mommell

mommell

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

That was yesterday; today I'm feeling anxious and a little lost. Is that how Cymbalta works, yo-yo up and down? Hopefully, tomorrow will be better.

Regards,

-M- :flirt:

#18 junebug01

junebug01

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

How are you doing today mommell? I have been on Cymbalta for nine weeks now and can relate to the ups and downs. Thankfully the 'downs' are much more manageable than they used to be and ups are more frequent.

#19 mommell

mommell

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

Hi, Junebug01,

I don't want to give up on Cymbalta, but I feel really weird. 30 mg a day, and I'm spaced out. I started 20 mg on March 13, and increased to 30 mg on the 23rd. I feel like I'm trading depression for despair. I sure hope this gets better.

#20 junebug01

junebug01

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

Sorry to hear of your troubles mommell. I am wondering since you mentioned that you seem to be more sensitive to your meds, if it's going to take you just a little bit longer to adjust. For me the spaciness starting getting better at about week 3 or so. Hang in there. When do you see your doctor again?

#21 mommell

mommell

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

I see my doctor every Saturday, and today I called him (he either answers the phone or calls me right back) in a real funk. He said we'd figure something out on Saturday. I'm almost afraid to add a new med or increase this one. In other words, I'm "afraid" of everything right now. Maybe there's nothing that will help. Boy, do I sound dramatic or what? Thanks for your concern, and hopefully, you're right, it may just take longer to be effective for me.

Regards,
Mommell

#22 crazyguy

crazyguy

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

mommell, I felt spaced out on PAXIL, not fun. Some ADs aren't compatible with some people and Paxil was one of those drugs for me. Hope things works out soon.

#23 mommell

mommell

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

This is the 8th AD I've tried, and so far none of them seem to be the right one. Thanks for your input.

Mommell

#24 crazyguy

crazyguy

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

Sorry to hear that. I would still encourage you to tough it out for a few months to see if things improve. (((((Good luck!)))))

#25 junebug01

junebug01

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

You are definitely not being dramatic. Being afraid of every possible scenario can be so frustrating. I wish you the best of luck and will be thinking about you!

#26 Pippin12

Pippin12

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

Sorry to hear you're feeling so weird Mommell. I found that the weirdness subsided after three weeks on 30mg but has been back for the last week I've been on 60mg. I'm hoping that in another two weeks this will subside too. I know you've been on 30mg for a month but maybe it will take an extra couple of weeks for you to adjust? I think it's worth holding on another week or two just to find out, especially as you found it hard to get on with other antidepressants.

Px

#27 mommell

mommell

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

Are you feeling less depressed since being on Cymbalta? I ask because I go up and down. If I keep busy and have plans every day, I'm much better. I fell over my doggie steps yesterday, and today I cancelled out my routine plans (gym and an appt). I don't know if it was the shock of the fall (I fell on both my knees, one of which is a knee replacement. I'm not hurting today, just black and blue) or what, but today was a real downer, just staying at home. I called my Dr., and he said that because of the fall, he wanted to wait until I see him on Saturday to perhaps make some change in my meds. Maybe he can add something that will boost the Cymbalta. I really appreciate your input.
Mommell

#28 junebug01

junebug01

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:02 AM

For me, the depression took a little bit longer to start subsiding. I could notice a subtle difference in the anxiety within a couple of weeks but like I said the depression was different. I would say it took a good 6 weeks before I started feeling myself again.

#29 Pippin12

Pippin12

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:37 AM

Hi Mommell, I've been on Cymbalta for just over four weeks now and my depression is much better. I'm still really foggy since I increased my dose last week but the depressive feelings that were bothering me even as late as last week have almost all dispersed. The anxiety is still a problem though, but then again anxiety has always been a bigger problem for me than depression.

#30 crazyguy

crazyguy

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

Are you feeling less depressed since being on Cymbalta? I ask because I go up and down. If I keep busy and have plans every day, I'm much better. I fell over my doggie steps yesterday, and today I cancelled out my routine plans (gym and an appt). I don't know if it was the shock of the fall (I fell on both my knees, one of which is a knee replacement. I'm not hurting today, just black and blue) or what, but today was a real downer, just staying at home. I called my Dr., and he said that because of the fall, he wanted to wait until I see him on Saturday to perhaps make some change in my meds. Maybe he can add something that will boost the Cymbalta. I really appreciate your input.
Mommell

Mommell

Sorry to hear of your fall. I am currently taking Cymbalta at 90mg all in the morning. When I was on Paxil I had bad coordination and that was one of the main reasons I quit the drug. Getting back to Cymbalta I do have a slight upset in my balance when standing on one foot (as in yoga). I am not sure if this is a result of the drug or something else but either way I judge the benefits of Cymbalta to outweigh any current side effects after being on the drug for 2 years. I do still have depressed episodes but I am able to completely handle them now. Most of the time I am better than "normal". I'm not sure if Cymbalta dosage is related to body weight or not but depending on your weight that might have some influence on your dose. I weight about 83.5 kg. For some reason I seem to have a high resistance to most drugs and usually end up on the "higher" dose. One thing I have felt, the longer I've been on Cymbalta the more normal I feel. When I went from 60 mgs to 90 mgs I felt a bit strange again but that only lasted about 3 weeks. Good luck at your next appointment! I see my shrink in one month and look forward to informing him I feel great, I hope you are able to do the same soon.

#31 mommell

mommell

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

I can't tell you how much I wish I could say that to my shrink. Poor guy, we've tried so many different ADs, and so far, this is the only one that didn't make me feel sick. I probably mentioned that I started on 20 mg and took a nose dive. I went to 30 mg, and at first I felt better (placebo effect?) Now I'm low again. I'll see him tomorrow and maybe he can add something to boost the Cymbalta.

Thanks a lot for your encouragement.

Mommell

#32 Pippin12

Pippin12

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:30 PM

Good luck with your shrink Mommell. Keep us posted on how you get on,

Px

#33 mommell

mommell

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

Thanks, Pippin12 (or is it Px?)

I feel more anxious today about seeing him than I usually do. It's like this week has been sort of a disaster. A fall (not hurt, thank G-d), then a very uncomfortable heart test; then, yesterday I was told that to correct a painful eye problem, I have to have another (the fourth) surgery on that same eye. I don't know how Cymbalta or any other med can make me feel better. This is tough. I really like my Dr., and I trust him, but he can't change reality. Sorry to complain.

Regards, Mommell (Carolyn)

#34 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

It's okay to complain, Mommell. This is a hard time to go through, but I would try not to give up. Unfortunately, we cannot stop the other crummy things that may come up during this time, which seem exacerbated while trying a new medication. Maybe your MD will supplement the Cymbalta with something else like Abilify.

Hang in there!

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise
Posted ImagePosted Image

#35 mommell

mommell

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

I saw my doctor today and he's going to increase Cymbalta to 40 mg. It might take at least ten days before I get it mail order from my insurance company. MaddieLouise, you sound so upbeat; is that because you have conquered your depression? I really appreciate all the replies I've gotten and your generous support.

Can you tell me a little about your journey?

Regards, Mommell

#36 mommell

mommell

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

I forgot to add Pippen12 in my last post. Are you adjusting to your medication? It sounds like you are. What dosage do you take?

Thanks for "being there" for others. I pray I'll get to the point where I'll respond to someone else in need.

Regards, Mommell

#37 junebug01

junebug01

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

Hi mommell, I wish you the best of luck with your increased dosage. I am on 90 (the highest I have ever been on) and was leery about it at first but have never felt better. So maybe bumping it up to 40 is just what you need. Take care.

#38 Pippin12

Pippin12

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

Hi Mommell, really sorry to hear you're going through such a difficult time. Sounds like you have a lot of very trying stuff going on. Hang in there.

Yes I'm adjusting well to the Cymbalta. I started out on 30mg for the first 3 weeks (I think) and now I'm up to 60mg taken in split doses of 30mg each. I've been on 60mg for the last fortnight. I'm finding that all the side effects are wearing off nicely now, although things did get worse again when my dose was increased. I agree that an increase to 40mg might really help - I know that 30mg just wasn't doing it for me. Good luck!

Pip x

#39 mommell

mommell

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

Hi, Pip x, (can I call you that?)

It may be a week before I start 40 mg, because my Psych had to order it through my mail order insurance plan. When I bought it at the Rx, it cost me almost $200 for one month's supply. Eventually, my mail order company sent me back 80% of that, but putting it out is tough.

Sounds like you're getting out of the woods...congratulations! Hope I can join you soon. Have a good day.

Mommell

#40 mommell

mommell

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

Anybody know how to add "friends"? And what does that really mean? Thanks ahead of time.

Mommell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users