Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mommell

Cymbalta - How Long Should It Take To Adjust To This Med?

60 posts in this topic

Posted

Advertisement

I started on 20 mg of Cymbalta on the 13th of March and changed to 30 mg. on the 23rd. Every day is different: one day I feel driven to keep busy. The next I feel anxious. The next "I don't give a darn." I believe I'm feeling less depressed, but I'd love to know how long to expect the weirdness to last.

Thanks for any input.

Mommell

You might also be interested in:

Posted

It typically takes a month-6 weeks. But 30 mg isnt a very high dose, so you might not notice a huge difference.

Posted

Thanks for your input. I seem to be very sensitive to all meds, so for me, 30mg is a lot. I sure hope I get past these symptoms soon. I wake up different each morning.

Mommell

Posted

Hi Mommell,

It took a good month for me to start having days of "normalcy" and a decrease in the start-up side effects. I slowly increased my dosage and now take 90 mg., which has proven most helpful.

I hope you don't go through too much suffering with Cymbalta, but most ADs cause some sort of start-up side effects.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise

mommell likes this

Posted

Hi, MaddieLouise.

Thanks for your input. My fingers are crossed that I'll adjust to Cymbalta soon.

We've tried eight (yes, 8) different ADs and they all had side effects I couldn't tolerate. So far, even though I'm going through emotional/mental swings, I don't have to live in the bathroom. (hope that isn't too specific.)

I find that if I take .5mg of Ativan (the generic) before I go to sleep, even though I wake up during the night, I can fall asleep again. For months, I'd wake up at 4 a.m. and just watch the clock until 7 a.m., and still didn't want to get out of bed.

How long have you been on Cymbalta?

Attitude and Gratitude,

Mommell

Posted

I have gotten as high as 120mg but that was too sedating for me. I now take 60mg, I've taken Cymbalta for 5 years. I find it helps my fibromyalgia more than it helps my depression.

Posted

Hi, MaddieLouise.

Thanks for your input. My fingers are crossed that I'll adjust to Cymbalta soon.

We've tried eight (yes, 8) different ADs and they all had side effects I couldn't tolerate. So far, even though I'm going through emotional/mental swings, I don't have to live in the bathroom. (hope that isn't too specific.)

I find that if I take .5mg of Ativan (the generic) before I go to sleep, even though I wake up during the night, I can fall asleep again. For months, I'd wake up at 4 a.m. and just watch the clock until 7 a.m., and still didn't want to get out of bed.

How long have you been on Cymbalta?

Attitude and Gratitude,

Mommell

Hi Mommell,

I've been on Cymbalta for 5 years, with about 4.5 of those at 90 mg., and thus far it's still working for me. I understand the stomach upset. Maybe if you eat something light and then take the Cymbalta about 20 minutes later, it would settle with you better.

I had some horrible side effects; the worst being the insomnia and just feeling nauseated all the time. It finally went away (although slowly) starting at a 4 weeks in.

I do think it's worth the wait if you can tolerate it.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise

Posted

I started on 20 mg of Cymbalta on the 13th of March and changed to 30 mg. on the 23rd. Every day is different: one day I feel driven to keep busy. The next I feel anxious. The next "I don't give a darn." I believe I'm feeling less depressed, but I'd love to know how long to expect the weirdness to last.

Thanks for any input.

Mommell

mommell

Hi, I'm on cymbalta 90mg. It works pretty good for me but there are still times when I DO get depressed. I have some other medical problems and visiting my GP always makes me crash. I started cymbalta at 60 mg from an SSRI and at that time I noticed almost immediate improvement. When I went from 60 to 90 mg the improvement was a long time coming. Constipation is my main side effect. Good luck and please keep us informed. Take Care!

Posted

Hi Mommell, I'm on 60mg Cymbalta. I started on 30mg four weeks ago and moved up to 60mg last week. I've found that the side effects have gradually got less and less as the weeks have progressed. My anxiety has increased a bit since my dose increased but it's worth it for the easing of my depression which has happened almost straight away. My side effects have been anxiety, a dense brain fog (don't know how else to describe it), and increased appetite as well as a bit of nausea and constipation. All of these are easing off though. Good luck with it,

Px

Posted

Thanks all for your responses. It's really encouraging to know that the light at the end of the tunnel isn't just another train coming at me. Gradually, I am feeling better, and my Psych is positive I'm better. I have a few what I call phobias and I'm hoping Cymbalta will help me with those. Did any of you feel like it was one step forward and two steps backwards with the med at first? I feel so much better in the evening, almost normal for me. It's getting out of bed in the a.m. that's difficult. Thanks again,

Mommell

Posted (edited)

Hi Mommell

I definitely found the mornings worse at first. My anxiety was a good bit worse and for the first 2-3 weeks I had like a densely foggy mind where everything around me seemed unreal and far removed. That gradually has worn off and this week has been much better. I found that my side effects were better in the evening too. I'm really glad you're feeling a bit better. Hopefully you will see further improvement very soon. Take care

Px

Edited by Pippin12

Posted

Hi, Pippin,

Sometimes it feels like I'm outside myself, in a fog. That comes and goes. I'm encouraged by your feedback. Keep those coming...

I wish I could throw some positive thoughts your way; maybe as things get better and I'm more adjusted, we can have a two-way discussion.

Thanks again,

Mommell

Posted

Hi mommell,

What you are describing with the 'being outside of yourself' could have been me about six weeks ago or so. But it does get better. I wish you luck and just take it day by day. :)

mommell likes this

Posted

Hi, junebug01,

I think depression is starting to lift (and my Psychiatrist thinks I'm doing so much better.) Every day brings something different. I wish I could pin it down to what makes it a "good day."

Thanks for your note.

-M- :flirt:

Posted

If only our minds were that easy to decipher! Take care and keep us posted. :)

Posted

Really great you feel the depression is starting to lift Mommell. I hope the progress continues well for you,

all the best,

Px

Posted

That was yesterday; today I'm feeling anxious and a little lost. Is that how Cymbalta works, yo-yo up and down? Hopefully, tomorrow will be better.

Regards,

-M- :flirt:

Posted

How are you doing today mommell? I have been on Cymbalta for nine weeks now and can relate to the ups and downs. Thankfully the 'downs' are much more manageable than they used to be and ups are more frequent.

Posted

Hi, Junebug01,

I don't want to give up on Cymbalta, but I feel really weird. 30 mg a day, and I'm spaced out. I started 20 mg on March 13, and increased to 30 mg on the 23rd. I feel like I'm trading depression for despair. I sure hope this gets better.

Posted

Sorry to hear of your troubles mommell. I am wondering since you mentioned that you seem to be more sensitive to your meds, if it's going to take you just a little bit longer to adjust. For me the spaciness starting getting better at about week 3 or so. Hang in there. When do you see your doctor again?

Posted

I see my doctor every Saturday, and today I called him (he either answers the phone or calls me right back) in a real funk. He said we'd figure something out on Saturday. I'm almost afraid to add a new med or increase this one. In other words, I'm "afraid" of everything right now. Maybe there's nothing that will help. Boy, do I sound dramatic or what? Thanks for your concern, and hopefully, you're right, it may just take longer to be effective for me.

Regards,

Mommell

Posted

mommell, I felt spaced out on PAXIL, not fun. Some ADs aren't compatible with some people and Paxil was one of those drugs for me. Hope things works out soon.

Posted

This is the 8th AD I've tried, and so far none of them seem to be the right one. Thanks for your input.

Mommell

Posted

Sorry to hear that. I would still encourage you to tough it out for a few months to see if things improve. (((((Good luck!)))))

Posted

You are definitely not being dramatic. Being afraid of every possible scenario can be so frustrating. I wish you the best of luck and will be thinking about you!