Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

What Did I Just Do?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MidlifeRob

MidlifeRob

ID: 78321

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

ok. so I did some snooping and very easily found my therapist's maiden name and age. I kind of knew where she grew up from our conversations. I am 44 and she is 3 years younger than me. I told her what I did, and that I pulled out my high school yearbook only to find her in it. I was incredibly upset finding out this info and do not understand why. It was a lifetime ago. There is nothing here to be upset about...from me that is. That is why I brought it up to her...to find out why I was literally shaking when I saw her in the yearbook. I did not know her in high school. She has been my therapist for almost a year and recently there has been some transference but nothing sexual.

She was clearly upset with my behavior and did not have an answer for me. I know I probably freaked her out some and was immature but I couldn't help it...i was a little curious about her. We are okay now but I am afraid to bring up the topic again.

Anyone have any idea why I get upset when I find out details of her personal life?

#2 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

ID: 10376

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:38 AM

Hi MidlifeRob

It could be a number of things. It could have changed your perception of her which would upset you. It may make you feel betrayed in some way, even though she has not betrayed you. It could also make you feel like perhaps the anonymity of the therapy is now gone. It can also bring up what if thoughts. There are many ways that this could upset you. You have probably allowed yourself to get a little to close to the therapist, but the therapist should know how to deal with it and help you get through it.

Trace
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

True beauty must come, must be grown, from within.... - Ralph W Trine.

Posted Image

#3 HRiddle

HRiddle

Advanced Member

ID: 71621

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

That is tough situation! It would freak me out as well, so I think what you feel is quite normal. However, could you switch to another therapist if this will be an issue for you in the future?
"How can I sleep, when I don't know whether I live or dream?
How can I weep, when I don't know if the pain I feel is real?"

#4 wintergrace

wintergrace

ID: 74215

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

I understand your feelings. I think I would be the same way....uncomfortable. I hope you can work it out.

#5 niz

niz

ID: 79583

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

I've seen two therapists over the past couple years. I live in a small city, so there's not a lot of options. #1 was an older guy who it turned out used to work with my father, and #2 (my current one) went to school with an older sibling of mine...and brought it up at the end of the first session. I felt "on guard" with #1 and there was definitely difficulty in relating to one another (at one point he told me to "Suck it up and not worry so much"), but #2 has gone well so far as I can tell.

Would it be worth discussing it further with your therapist at some point? Just a "Hey...I want you to know that I feel lousy about what happened." It doesn't have to develop into a big discussion, but maybe it would put the issue to rest? Good luck.

#6 MidlifeRob

MidlifeRob

ID: 78321

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:03 PM

It doesn't bother me that I went to school with her. and i'm okay with it now. it is more finding out the details of her personal life somehow hurts. i have indeed gotten too close to her but it wan't by design. it just happened and i didn't even know it or understand what was going on. still don't totally. i do know that since that happened it is the first time i've ever opened up to a therapist. i must say...therapy is truly a love/hate relationship.

#7 HRiddle

HRiddle

Advanced Member

ID: 71621

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

I have to agree that the theraupeutic relationship is one of the weirdest and toughtest relationships to deal with, and I wish they offered us classes on how to deal with transference issues before we even went into therapy.
"How can I sleep, when I don't know whether I live or dream?
How can I weep, when I don't know if the pain I feel is real?"

#8 Daisy Duke

Daisy Duke

ID: 63153

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

I have a very good therapist who is gentle, kind and a very good person. He is of similar age to me and we have similar interests. I can see how it would be easy to have feelings for someone like that but I know and respect that this would be totally inappropriate. At the end of the day this is their job, we are their patients and to feel that we are somehow permitted to cross that line into their personal life is very wrong. It is very difficult at times but I feel that the barrier between patient and therapist should be upheld for everyones benefit.

Daisy Duke

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users