Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fangirl

Starting Wellbutrin While On Vacation? (And Partying)

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I saw my Pdoc for an initial consultation yesterday. I've been going to therapy, and the therapist set up the appointment. Anyway, I have been on 20mg of Prozac, prescribed by my ObGyn for several years. Yesterday, the Pdoc prescribed me 150 mg of Wellbutrin XL daily in addition to my Prozac. Tomorrow, I leave for 10 days of vacation. We heading down to Miami and then for a Caribbean Cruise. There is a big group of us going, and it's going to be fun. The thing is, being on vacation, and not driving (seriously, don't want me to drive your boat), I know that we will be consuming a fair bit of alcohol. So.... my question is, since I know that I will be drinking, should I wait to start the Wellbutrin until after my vacation? I am not in deep dark depression. I have been grieving the loss of my mother and having "mild major depression". Oh, I did take a dose this morning, and it may be my imagination or a placebo affect (or excitement over my impending vacation), but I seem to be happier and have a lot more energy today.

Edited by AquaViolet
Terms Of Service

You might also be interested in:

Posted

I am no doctor, but in my opinion it's NOT wise to consume alcohol while on Wellbutrin (Bupropion). Alcohol is a downer, so this will futher make your feelings of depression worse. Trust me, I know! I've been on wellbutrin for over 3 weeks, now. I've had a few cocktails in this time and it's made me feel horrible the next day.

I would talk with your doctor about this and get his advice. However, if I were you I would wait until returning from vacation to start your new med.

Posted

I wouldn't recommend it either. No matter the name of the antidepressant, I think that its dangerous and unwise to mix it with alcohol. Alcohol is definitely a downer and when it is consumed with prescribed medication it will make your (my) depression worst. I too, have had a cocktail or two and ultimately, it felt like I had had six cocktails. So not worth it. But in the wake of the most recent celebrity death....I think its not a good idea to mix it up. I am surely no doctor and this is just my opinion. I think you should choose wisely.

On the other hand, I have been taking wellbutrin for about six months now. I love it! Its given me alot of energy and more importantly has awakened my LIBIDO!!!! :hearts:

Posted

Thanks for the responses. I've been soooo sleepy and tired lately, I was thinking that the Wellbutrin might perk me up while traveling.

Posted

I'm taking Bupropion (Wellbutrin) for the same reason ... something to wake me up because I'm always tired. I have been on it now for over 3 weeks @ 300mgs and have yet to really have that awake feeling.

Another thing you need to consider when starting a new drug is side effects. Some people find it very hard to deal with. I don't think you want to spend your vacation miserable...