Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Stimulants For Treatment-Resistant Depression

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 floorguy

floorguy

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:09 AM

I'm suffering from treatment-resistant depression and my daily cocktail is Remeron, escialopram and bupropion + clonazepam. What are your experiences with using stimulants in depression? I'm thinking of methylphenidate and amphetamines (modafinil doesn't work for me anymore). Do they work long-term?

Thanks.

MDD - recurrent and treatment-resistant, GAD, Social phobia (under control with escitalopram and clonazepam)

Current meds: mirtazapine 37.5mg, escitalopram 10mg, clonazepam 2mg

Previous meds: fluoxetine, venlafaxine, mirtazapine, escitalopram, paroxetine, sertraline, milnacipran, reboxetine, buspirone, bupropion, nortriptyline, trimipramine, clomipramine, amitriptyline, olanzapine, quetiapine, aripiprazole, ziprazidone, sulpiride, T3, lithium, modafinil, methylphenidate, lamotrigine, pregabalin, oxazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, chlordiazepoxide, clonazepam, temazepam, zopiclone, zolpidem

#2 IsoZeiss

IsoZeiss

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:43 AM

Depends on your body and the doseage. Stimulants do work for a lot of people to pull them out of depression, but you can also experience negative side effects. If you're prone to things like anxiety, anger, and paranoid feelings or thoughts, stimulants will aggrevate these.

It can cause physical problems too. One of my pdocs had me on amphetamine type stimulants to help treat my depression for a long time. My doctors told me recently that I now have a slight heart problem thanks to this.

Most pdocs won't issue prescriptions for stimulants to treat depression either. They can be habit forming since it is basically a legal form of meth. These things can poop out on you as well, and you might end up needing to increase your dosage. And when these types of stimulants poop out it can leave you feeling lower than before.
Humor can be a powerful tool.

The ability to make others laugh when you yourself are in pain shows there is hope. To have hope for yourself and for others to have hope in you.

"Yet why not say what happened?" - Robert Lowell

Posted Image

#3 Helium

Helium

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:56 AM

I suffer from treatment resistant depression, but my pdoc didn´t prescribe any stimulant. Perhaps you should ask your pdoc directly....
"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?"

— Ernest Hemingway

#4 ladysmurf

ladysmurf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

I suffer from it as well. I take Ritalin and it does seem to help

Until you make peace with who you are, you'll never be content with what you have

#5 floorguy

floorguy

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for your replies. Don't think I will ask for one since I have anxiety issues.

MDD - recurrent and treatment-resistant, GAD, Social phobia (under control with escitalopram and clonazepam)

Current meds: mirtazapine 37.5mg, escitalopram 10mg, clonazepam 2mg

Previous meds: fluoxetine, venlafaxine, mirtazapine, escitalopram, paroxetine, sertraline, milnacipran, reboxetine, buspirone, bupropion, nortriptyline, trimipramine, clomipramine, amitriptyline, olanzapine, quetiapine, aripiprazole, ziprazidone, sulpiride, T3, lithium, modafinil, methylphenidate, lamotrigine, pregabalin, oxazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, chlordiazepoxide, clonazepam, temazepam, zopiclone, zolpidem

#6 swimfan93

swimfan93

• PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

I was having a lot of trouble with concentration/energy, so I added 5mg Adderall (I take a lot of other meds). When I started there was a little trouble with the dosage--when I went up to 10mg I got extremely jittery/hyper/impulsive. So I take 5mg every morning and also take .5mg xanax xr to counter the anxiety problems that came with the adderall.
Despite the difficult start, I really think it has helped. I was having trouble with basic tasks like reading and it's helped with my school work. It also helps me concentrate on whats going on around me, keeping me aware and engaged wtih people around me (I used to space out and isolate myself a lot).
I don't like taking so many meds, especially such potentially addicting ones. But, I do have to say the adderall has helped. (I also take seroquel, lithium, lamictal, xanax, synthroid).

#7 TryingToFindTheAnswer

TryingToFindTheAnswer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:26 PM

Last time I took ritalin was as a a child. From what I've been reading lately here's my impression and opinions about stimulants so far:
  • Stimulants don't always make people who are angry more angry. In some cases they can make an angry person less angry (from reviews that I've read). It might make anxiety worse in some people but better in others. Everyone reacts differently to meds.
  • Stimulants can poop out - antidepressants can poop out
  • Blood pressure can go up but normally not anything significant
  • Potential for abuse - potential is low and often exaggerated
  • Stimulants may have serious side effects (psychosis, heart problems) - many medications may have serious side effects - undertreated depression can have serious health complications (suicide)
  • Stimulants can make some people more depressed - antidepressants can make some people more depressed
  • Nothing wrong with using a stim for depression if it works for you. They may or may not work for you. Everyone is different

Edited by TryingToFindTheAnswer, 14 March 2012 - 01:51 PM.

#8 Barak

Barak

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

I suffer from treatment-resistant depression , i am starting Nardil on Monday an MOAI. I have no idea whats Stimulate is? is it legal?

#9 TryingToFindTheAnswer

TryingToFindTheAnswer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:09 PM

It is in the US. I'm not sure about where you live. A stimulant is a medication that works primarily on dopamine. Examples are Ritalin, Adderrall an Dexedrine

#10 Barak

Barak

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

have you tried Nardil or Parnate? they are not stimulate tho but they do work on people with resistant depression

#11 Tamer

Tamer

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

Hi,

I have been on so many different medications, Batteling Major Depressive Disorder ADD and GAD for 7 years now. I can say that the only medicine that truly worked for my depression was Effexor. But it pooped out and it simply didn't work at all even at the highest dosage and it was awful because at a the high dosage Effexor raised my blood pressure so I was always dizzy tired and blah " it was wrong to stick to this medicine for too long after I knew it pooped out but I refused to believe that the only medicine that worked has stopped working". If interested I can give you more details about each med I was on.

I was put on Ritalin for ADD almost two years ago and Ritalin is miracle drug ! I love it and would never come off of it no matter what. And no it hasn't lifted my depression but it simply gave me energy and made me focus.

I have been put on Zoloft two months ago and I wasn't really so thrilled when my doctor suggested this medicine, because it's an SSRI and i have tried all the SSRIs before " except for Prozac" and none of them worked for my depression whatsoever.

But surprisingly I feel GREAT on Zoloft specially when I added Lamictal to the combo " Zoloft and Ritalin" I haven't felt this good since childhood.

Lamictal is a mood stabilizer, so it's prescribed for Bipolar patients, but is often used off label fot treating treatment resistant depression.

I also use Xanax sometimes, but not so often since Zoloft has almost made me anxiety free.

Let me know if u have any questions, best of luck to you.

#12 Tamer

Tamer

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

Okay now i feel I might have given too much credit for Ritalin so I feel obligated to adress some issues that Ritalin causes if abused.

It does boost your energy and make u less depressed " as a result of having energy to go about your day". BUT if u do suffer from anxiety or panic attacks, you need to be careful using any kind of stimulating medications. My very first severe anxiety attack was a result of Ritalin and having way too much caffeine.

Sorry the posts are long.

Edited by AquaViolet, 03 November 2012 - 05:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users