Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Started Lexapro 10 Days Ago.

Lexapro

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Barak

Barak

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

My pdc put me on lexapro 10mg 10 days ago...today We increased the dosage to 20mg Can you please share only your good experiences with lexapro? how long did it take to feel relief ?has anyone noticed increased depression and high aniexty in the forst 3to 4 weeks?
has anyone taken Lexapro for severe depression ?

thanks

Barak

#2 Rahul

Rahul

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

yes, it is normal to suffer from elevated anxiety in the first two weeks. gradually it should go away.
I'm not a doctor or a health professional and any advice in my post is purely my personal opinion and anecdotal.

Dx: MDD
Rx: 10 mg escitalopram + 15mg mitrazapine + 20 mg chlordiazepoxide (all
at bedtime)

#3 Barak

Barak

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

anyone else on Lexapro can she their experience with me?

#4 Rahul

Rahul

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

you have to give it at least 2 weeks to notice changes. till then it will only exacerbate your condition.

Edited by Rahul, 09 March 2012 - 01:20 PM.

I'm not a doctor or a health professional and any advice in my post is purely my personal opinion and anecdotal.

at bedtime)

#5 howdyhow

howdyhow

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

I am currently taking Lexapro, started on 10 mg for the first 7 weeks and my dosage was increased to 15mg just yesterday. I suffer from anxiety/depression. All I can say is that at the beginning you should expect an increase in your symptoms, but this will go away so don't worry. I felt that Lexapro gave me allot of energy to the point where my pdocs are considering a mood stabilizer because this is a tale tell sign of Bp. However this has happened on my previous crisis with different Ads. I am impressed though at how your Pdoc increased your dosage to 20mg so quickly. How bad is you depression? Hope you feel better.

#6 Masked_

Masked_

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

Started on 20mg, felt a bit agitated and queezy for the first two weeks. But I didn't notice much problems with my depression worsening for the first 2 weeks.

#7 Barak

Barak

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:22 AM

two weeks on Lexapro (20mg) and depression has gotten worse! is this normal?

#8 AngryDad

AngryDad

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:59 AM

Ive been on lexapro now for 5 months now and cant feel any difference... you might be diffrent though.. the only time i notice anything is when i miss a dose and then i feel crap as.

#9 Barak

Barak

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:06 AM

AngryDad

when you miss a dose you feel better or worse? why are you keep taking lexapro if you don't get any relief?

#10 Rahul

Rahul

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

two weeks and your depression has gotten worse? i think it is time to visit your pdoc. in my case lexapro shows some improvement be the end of two weeks and that is also my pdoc's general experience with his patients. imo you should press your pdoc for a change and not suffer so much!

Edited by Rahul, 12 March 2012 - 11:30 AM.

at bedtime)

#11 Barak

Barak

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

Rahul

i spoke with my pdr today he told me to stop lexapro and decided that we should (finally) try Nardil.

#12 Rahul

Rahul

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:46 AM

excellent barak! wish you success with nardil. keep us posted. also remember that these meds are a bit of trial and error and it might take experimenting with a few to find out what works for you. but it is worth the wait!

at bedtime)

#13 Barak

Barak

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:05 AM

thank you so much Rahul! I sure will keep you posted.

#14 ClarissaD

ClarissaD

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

I was on 10mg for a month. First 2 weeks I had terrible side effects. Constantly dizzy, seeing spots, bad nausea, dry mouth and amplified depression. After 2 weeks they completely went away. I was a BIT less anxious but depression was still worse. I upped my dosage to 20mg today and am hoping it will help with my anxiety, which by yesterday was the worst it has ever been.
20 year old female from Australia.

#15 Rahul

Rahul

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

clarissaD, if your anxiety has alleviated at 20mg, i feel your depression will also resolve at this dose. anxiety and depression are flip sides of the same coin in my opinion (though they can coexist at subdued levels).
  • ClarissaD likes this

at bedtime)

#16 Anthony11

Anthony11

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

i was on lexapro for 3 months, initial results looked good however for me I had a constant quick UP high then down low/anger spikes .. It may have helped bring me up in the long term I'm not sure, I ended up discontinuing mine and going cold turkey (not that i recommend you do that)

Edited by Anthony11, 23 April 2012 - 06:26 PM.

#17 ClarissaD

ClarissaD

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:52 AM

Thanks Rahul :) I'm on day 4 of 20mg lexapro and am suffering from extreme fatigue. HOWEVER I've had 1.5 good days...yesterday afternooon I felt relativley okay (although suffered a small panic attack at night), and today I got out of bed and out of the house. I still had to take valium this evening and had anxiety, but my mind hasn't been full of terrible thoughts for almost 30 hours. I find myself thinking about other things momentarily, which is something I haven't done in months. I'd say about a 10% improvement so I'm feeling positive. I'm not sure if it's because a couple of my life stresses have subsided over the past couple of days or if it's the drug. However I'm currently actually studying and getting my filing together, something I haven't been able to do in months. I hope this continues.

#18 Rahul

Rahul

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

good to hear you had 1.5 days of normalcy. give this higher dose two weeks though. for me, the first two weeks are rough, after which, everything resolves and i become normal. i recently increased my dose of lex from 10 mg to 20 mg, about 1.5 months ago, and i had thought i wouldn't have to suffer start ups but i was wrong -- i went through two weeks of hell (anxiety/severe-depression/side-effects); then i became normal and have been that way since. by the bye, i was on 10 mg for 4 years, after which the depression returned, so my doctor increased my dose. also, i take a benzo at night (daily). if you have been taking valium daily, do not quit it abruptly. if your use is PRN, kindly dregard my advice.

my depression returned because of drinking -- which i developed a year into my lex and which i have decided to quit now. so that is another thing you should avoid (an occasional drink is OK in my opinion, but not regular for long term drinking can lead to depression and in folks like us it will). i ruined my lex for myself -- drinking compromised its effectiveness.

you are young. my heart goes out to you. i think 20 mg will really help you. give it some time. :)

Edited by Rahul, 25 April 2012 - 10:18 AM.

• ClarissaD and henley like this

at bedtime)

#19 TedD

TedD

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

I have been on 10 mg. of lexapro for 4 1/2 weeks and then was upped to 20 mg. I have been on 20 mg. for 6 weeks. I have experienced three brief episodes of feeling normal. Most of the time I am still feeling depressed and anxious. I feel worse in the beginning of the day and better toward the end of the day. My psychiatrist is encouraging me to stay with the 20 mg. for at least 8 weeks and maybe longer. I am on the generic by Teva now. I am going to stick it out and be patient. I read on the web that one fellow did not experience relief until 12 weeks on the 20 mg. I think everyone is different and from what I have read lexapro is one of the best antidepressants. i think it is best to stay as busy as you can.

Edited by TedD, 25 April 2012 - 03:53 PM.

#20 Rahul

Rahul

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

hang in there ted. you are right -- everyone's experience is different. also, do try a longer acting benzo for what it's worth. it might do the trick. still, you are the best judge in your situation.

at bedtime)

#21 ClarissaD

ClarissaD

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:43 AM

Just for a bit of a positive update to hopefully encourage you guys a bit:
I'm actually feeling okay right now. Suicidal thoughts have diminished and I got out of bed once again and did stuff today. I treated myself to getting a massage and my hair done. I was highly anxious while doing it, but I did it, and I feel so proud of myself for doing it. My mind isn't preoccupied with bad thoughts and it hasn't been for almost 3 days now. Yesterday I didn't need to take any Valium until 5am this morning. For some reason I've been waking up at 3:30am and not being able to sleep till like 8am, which I think is anxiety, but depression is MUCH better. I'm on day 6 of 20mg lexapro after taking 10mg for a month. I have been taking my tablet at 5am and falling back asleep, so I haven't noticed the fatigue as much. Can't believe I'm actually feeling a bit better. This is such a relief. I hope it sticks. Please hang in there guys.
  • chelly2012 likes this

#22 Rahul

Rahul

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:47 AM

yayyy clarissa :Coopclapping: it's always nice hearing someone is feeling better after suffering for long and it's important for these experiences to go on record (others benefit from reading it). hope this feeling continues! *knock wood* there might be a few bumps down the road but it should iron out in a month.

Edited by Rahul, 27 April 2012 - 02:49 AM.

at bedtime)

#23 JAMommy

JAMommy

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

Absolutely, yes I had increased anxiety and depression for the first 4 weeks. I am extremely sensitive to meds, had to start at 2.5mg and am now at 10mg after 5 weeks of titrating up on Lexapro. You can read my journey under the post called "Please tell me it gets better". And I have been severely, severely depressed. I just read through the previous posts and it looks like you switched medications, so I guess you may not need this input anymore. Hope you re doing well though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lexapro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users