Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Quitting Wellbutrin Cold Turkey?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 caitlin12095

caitlin12095

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:08 AM

I had an anxiety attack on Wellbutrin (150 mg split between two 75 mg sr tablets) and my psychiatrist told me to just quit cold turkey. I've been taking it for a month. Is this normal? He said I wouldn't have any withdrawals, but that's not what I've read on these forums. I do not want to go through withdrawals, because stopping this medicine after just starting to feel better is bad enough! Any advice?

#2 caitlin12095

caitlin12095

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

My doctor said to stop taking Wellbutrin after having a pretty bad anxiety attack. He said there would be no withdrawal, but I'm pretty sure my depression will come back. My dose was 75 mg twice daily, and since him telling me to quit I've taken only one for the past two days. I have the ACT and MME this tuesday through thursay (college standardized testing) and I don't want to be distracted while I'm taking these exams. Should I keep taking 75 mg for the next few days while I'm testing? This dose is not effective for me and I still feel depressed on it. Or should I just quit altogether? I have a feeling that I'll feel more severely depressed if I just quit completely right now.

#3 AquaViolet

AquaViolet

Senior Moderator

• Admin Team-Moderator
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

Hi Caitlin.
Unfortunately, we are not professionals here at DF, so we can't give you medical advice. Please call your doctor about these questions, as he/she is the best person to answer them.
Best wishes, and take care.
~~AquaViolet~~
Posted Image
Posted Image

My Diagnoses: Severe OCD, panic disorder, depression
My Current meds: Geodon, Cymbalta, Klonopin, Lyrica 

My Previous meds:
Prozac, Paxil, Celexa,
Lexapro, Luvox, Zoloft, Clomipramine (a horrible med for me),
Xanax, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Risperdal,
Gabapentin (this med did nothing), Buspar (also did nothing)

#4 ladysmurf

ladysmurf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:55 AM

my dr told me to gradually go down on Wellbutrin........

but im gonna quit cold turkey. it makes me seize .

Until you make peace with who you are, you'll never be content with what you have

#5 jamiew

jamiew

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

I am horrible about remembering my meds. I am on Welbutrin XR, adderall, and Viibryd. Welbutrin is the newest to the mix. When I forget to take it, I slide right back into a nearly diabilitating depression as quickly as 2 days. Even this weekend when out of town I grabbed the wrong bottle and had my other two but forgot the welbutrin bby SUnday I was constantly crying and by Monday was compeltly non functional, I just started back on it today. and it will take at least a week to get back on track. Every person is different but this is my personal experience.
Diagnosis: Recurring Major Depression Severe with Psycotic Features
Current Meds: Abilify 10 mg, WellButrin Xl 450 mg, Viibryd 50mg, Clonazepam 1mg, Trazadone 200mg, Deplin 15mg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users