Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Risperidone After Zyprexa (Olanzapine)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 wannabhappy

wannabhappy

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:41 AM

Hi I've been taking fluoxetine 40mg and Olanzapine 10mg. This combo has worked great for me apart from the weight gain. I had a gastric bypass 2 years ago and lost over 6 stone so the weight gain has really upset me!!

Anyway my Pdoc has finally agreed to change me from Olanzapine (zyprexa) to Risperidone. I'm really just wondering what peoples views are on this med. Did anyone have weight gain?? I really don't want to take it if I had more weight gain - I managed my diet quite strictly on the Olanzapine and even though I was only have 1000-1200 calories a day I was still putting on weight.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#2 AquaViolet

AquaViolet

Senior Moderator

• Admin Team-Moderator
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:54 AM

Hi wannabhappy.
I've taken both Zyprexa, and Risperidone (Risperdal).
For me, I don't think the Risperidone caused weight gain, however it did make me feel restless.
Everyone's experiences are different though. I hope Risperidone works for you.
Take care.

Edited by AquaViolet, 29 February 2012 - 06:55 AM.

~~AquaViolet~~
Posted Image
Posted Image

My Diagnoses: Severe OCD, panic disorder, depression
My Current meds: Geodon, Cymbalta, Klonopin, Lyrica 

My Previous meds:
Prozac, Paxil, Celexa,
Lexapro, Luvox, Zoloft, Clomipramine (a horrible med for me),
Xanax, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Risperdal,
Gabapentin (this med did nothing), Buspar (also did nothing)

#3 ska123

ska123

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

I was just switched from olanzapine to risperdal too, but we're crossing over slowly so I'm still on 5 mg of olanzapine (formerly I was on 10) and introducing risperdal at .5 mg for a week then up to 1 mg. The olanzapine wasn't working for me anymore. The only thing I've noticed is that my sleep is not as deep and I'm dreaming more. At 10 mg of olanzapine, I was basically in a coma every night, and I don't feel that way anymore. I hope the risperdal does help me sleep once we've dropped the olanzapine completely. I'll let you know.

#4 wannabhappy

wannabhappy

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for replying. I've been told just to stop taking the Zyprexa and start straight away on the new med?? Yeah I know what you mean about the coma induced sleep - I love going to bed and sleeping so soundly. I really like the Zyprexa but the weight gain was just awful - I hope I can lose what I put on.

#5 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,976 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

Although Zyprexa worked great, I didn't like the weight gain either. I was switched to Risperdal (straight from Z to R with no tapering down of dose.) The first thing that happened with the switch is the weight started coming off slowly. I'm quite active and eat a healthy diet. Both are really necesssary for weight management.
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#6 ska123

ska123

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

Although weight gain was not the reason for the switch, I'm hoping to lose weight too. I didn't gain a tremendous amount of weight from Z, but I'm definitely heavier than when I started it. I've got to get back to the gym; I'm guilty of that, but my food intake isn't too bad. Hoping for the best! Some people do gain weight on R too, I sure hope I'm not one of those people. I'll let you know.

#7 ska123

ska123

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

How many mgs of R are each of you on? I'm going up to 1 mg (from .5) tomorrow night.

#8 wannabhappy

wannabhappy

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

Well day one on R and I'm not feeling too good, feeling pretty anxious and have actually cried for the first time in a long time. I'm wondering if I should have still be taking the olanzapine and tapering them off slowly rather than just stopping.

Does anyone know if I can take 2mg of Risperidrone as well as say 2.5mg of Olanzapine??

#9 AquaViolet

AquaViolet

Senior Moderator

• Admin Team-Moderator
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:16 PM

Well day one on R and I'm not feeling too good, feeling pretty anxious and have actually cried for the first time in a long time. I'm wondering if I should have still be taking the olanzapine and tapering them off slowly rather than just stopping.

Does anyone know if I can take 2mg of Risperidrone as well as say 2.5mg of Olanzapine??

Hi wannabhappy.
Unfortunately, we here at DF are not professionals, so we can't give you medical advice.
Please ask your doctor.
You can always come here for emotional support. We are always ready to listen.
Take care.
  • wannabhappy likes this
~~AquaViolet~~
Posted Image
Posted Image

My Diagnoses: Severe OCD, panic disorder, depression
My Current meds: Geodon, Cymbalta, Klonopin, Lyrica 

My Previous meds:
Prozac, Paxil, Celexa,
Lexapro, Luvox, Zoloft, Clomipramine (a horrible med for me),
Xanax, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Risperdal,
Gabapentin (this med did nothing), Buspar (also did nothing)

#10 wannabhappy

wannabhappy

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:40 PM

Sorry I was only looking for some advice. How long do you think it'll take the R to kick in?? I need it to kick in now. I really can't believe the difference a day makes :(

#11 ska123

ska123

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

Like Aqua Violet said, it's better to ask your doc, but my unprofessional opinion says it's okay to take the two meds together because that's exactly what I've been doing. My doc's instructions were to lower the Z to 5 (from 10), take .5 mg R for one week, then 1 mg R for another week, then 1.5 R the next week, all while staying on 5 mgs of Z. I see him in two weeks, and I'm guessing he'll either take me off the Z or lower it to 2.5 for a couple of weeks. He's afraid to take me off the Z completely because he's going away, and I guess he wants to be around if I have a bad reaction to going off. I would give your doc a call and ask if that's ok, don't take my word for it. I'm feeling the reduction in Z, but it's not too bad. Just some disturbed sleep and minor fatigue. My pharmacist told me that it can take a week for the R to start working. My doctor says, in the worst case, it can be 3 weeks. You need relief before that, so please call your doc and ask if you can slowly be weaned off the Z. I feel your pain. I'm so sorry you're feeling this bad.
  • wannabhappy likes this

#12 wannabhappy

wannabhappy

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

suzallsopp thanks for taking the time to reply. I have always been ultra sensitive to coming off meds so maybe just stopping the Z is just a bit too much for my system to cope with. I just have that knot in my stomach which I know is anxiety. My thoughts are also worrying me. I think I might take some Z tonight and phone my doc again in the morning.

thanks again - its good to chat to someone who's going through the same thing as me

#13 ska123

ska123

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

To: wannabhappy....I'm the exact same way with meds. I feel and worry about every little thing. Are you on the Z or R for anxiety? For me it was for worrisome thoughts that my pdoc diagnosed as anxiety based. The Z wasn't helping me anymore, so we decided to try the R. I'm just worried about the sleep issue. I hope it resolves itself. Please keep me posted on your progress. I'll do the same. Best of luck!

#14 wannabhappy

wannabhappy

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

hiya yeah its for severe anxiety. I constantly worried about every little thing even though I knew deep down I coouldn't control any of it. The Z worked perfect for me but the weight gain was the only negative. I just hope R works just as good for me. I'm also on fluoxetine syrup for depression. The sleep is something I'm worried about too - last night I went to sleep ok but didn't sleep as deeply and then woke earlier this morning to the birds singing which was nice apart from it being 6am!

Please keep me posted on how your doing - hope its going ok today for you.

x

#15 ska123

ska123

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

So far, so good. I'm very tired after increasing the R to 1 mg last night. The sleep issues seem to be better. I'm actually looking forward to stopping the Z in two weeks so I'm not so sedated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users