Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Cymbalta With Abilify

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 peach_chicky

peach_chicky

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

I recently started taking Cymbalta with Abilify for Bipolar I, about 4 weeks ago. At the time I visited the doctor, I was suffering from severe depression. I'm feeling MUCH better now, but wondered if anyone else was on this medication combination, and what their experiences were.

Physical side effects have not been bad at all. I sleep normally and am able to wake up just fine (which is a great change from previously, when I was so depressed). I've had some stomach issues, but those have passed. There's a slight headache that seems to be ongoing, but I'm hoping it will go away eventually.

Mentally, though ... I'm having some jitters and some trouble concentrating. Normally I enjoy sitting down and relaxing with a book, but at this point I can't concentrate long enough to absorb a whole page. There have also been some points where I felt very energetic. I'm unsure if this is something I can expect to pass, or is it a sign of hypomania?

#2 noondays

noondays

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

My current diagnosis is Major Depressive Disorder, and I was once put on a Cymbalta and Abilify combination after my Cymbalta dosage wasn't cutting it alone. The Abilify didn't really bring further improvement to my mood however and I am now on Cymbalta and Seroquel which seems to be doing better and helping me sleep as well.

It may very well work for you, though. I don't know how it works with BP I or II.

Your extra energy and all that? Totally normal in my experience with Cymbalta. You should get used to the extra energy and the jittery-ness should go away. I don't even realize how much more energy I have than normal anymore unless I forget to take it or am a little late in it and feel really wiped out.

I really wish you the best of luck.

#3 peach_chicky

peach_chicky

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

Thank you for your response, noondays. It's nice to know the extra energy isn't necessarily something bad!

#4 wintergrace

wintergrace

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

I am on Cymbalta and Abilify (along with lamicatal) for Bipolar II. It has really helped me, but I was having some of the same symptoms that you mentioned (not being able to focus or concentrate well sometimes), and my doctor added lithium. Lithium seemed to balance me out and I have been happy with the combination.

#5 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

Although I have not been on a combination of both, the Cymbalta alone made me extra anxious and I couldn't sit still either. It is not an uncommon side effect. I do hope you start feeling "normal" soon.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Maven

Maven

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:59 AM

I recently started taking Cymbalta with Abilify for Bipolar I, about 4 weeks ago. At the time I visited the doctor, I was suffering from severe depression. I'm feeling MUCH better now, but wondered if anyone else was on this medication combination, and what their experiences were.

Physical side effects have not been bad at all. I sleep normally and am able to wake up just fine (which is a great change from previously, when I was so depressed). I've had some stomach issues, but those have passed. There's a slight headache that seems to be ongoing, but I'm hoping it will go away eventually.

Mentally, though ... I'm having some jitters and some trouble concentrating. Normally I enjoy sitting down and relaxing with a book, but at this point I can't concentrate long enough to absorb a whole page. There have also been some points where I felt very energetic. I'm unsure if this is something I can expect to pass, or is it a sign of hypomania?

I would let your doctor know about what you have been experiencing - you can always ask them about hypomania and talk to them about what you are describing here.

I wish you the best.

#7 peach_chicky

peach_chicky

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

Thanks again to everyone for the replies. Went to my doctor last week and she added Wellbutrin to my lineup. The racing thoughts, extra energy, and irritableness went away within a few days of starting the Wellbutrin. So far I'm pretty happy with the combination!

#8 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:21 PM

That's interesting that this combination works for you, and that's great! Keep us posted with how it's going.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise
Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users