Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Getting Out Of Bed In The Morning

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DepressedGuy

DepressedGuy

ID: 1830

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 12:08 PM

Lately I have had a really hard time getting up in the morning. Im talking my legs feel like they dont work, I have no energy, and when I get out of bed I cannot stand up or walk straight. My body feels lazy. I know what I am doing, but I will bumo into things like the doorway, hit my feet on things.

this is not a regulat thing for me either. After I get over this, about an hour, I am back to normal. I cant walk around and such. Is there a way for me to get more energy when i wake up in the morning? I feel so tired and fatigued in the morning.

Is that a sign of depression?

#2 tara

tara

ID: 9311

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:38 PM

Not being judgemental, but over the past 6 months physically I have gotten up despite the immense pain. My head would physically hurt to move, never mind the back injuries. But I knew I would never get better if I just stayed in bed.

**never get ejected from a car and let it fall on you**

So, yes I have been more depressed becaused of the TBI. Just an additional phase (and more medsd) to go through. I am not being judgemental, just maybe a reminder life is a gift, not a right.

try some coffee in the morning, my rule not to talk to me until my coffee and my meds are taken

Edited by tara, 06 September 2006 - 05:39 PM.

I think perfectionism is based on the obsessive belief that if you run carefully enough, hitting each stepping-stone just right, you won't have to die. The truth is that you will die anyway and that a lot of people who aren't even looking at their feet are going to do a whole lot better than you, and have a lot more fun while they're doing it.
~ Anne Lamott

#3 quietCherub

quietCherub

Silver Member

ID: 442

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 06:38 PM

:spongebob: I'd say that could definitely be a part of your depression. I know I have a hard time getting up, no matter what time it is. I just woke up from a nap and had to drag myself out of bed and its 7pm! Sometimes I feel like I want to sleep all the time...but I don't think I actually *want* to sleep all the time, I just want the comfort and lack of disturbance that my comfy (somewhat!) bed provides.

Are you going to work after you wake up? If so, are you the type that rolls out of bed and into the car, or do you take time to eat breakfast, relax a bit etc.? In either case, and even if you are not working, sometimes I find that having a sort of routine helps me. That's probably more of the reason why I drink coffee -- for the time it gives me to breath for a minute, more than the caffiene! You could keep lots of good breakfast food in the house, I do that as well, so its not like waking up to the same old thing each morning, its more like 'hey, I can't wait to eat one of those spectacular bagels I bought!" Or cinnamin buns...or pop tarts, or whatever! If you have time, try making a little something like eggs and waffles, that will get you moving a bit.

If you aren't working, do you feel as though you have something to look forward to each day, or some type of responsibility? I think this is an important aspect of getting out of bed successfully!

One other thing that might help is right when you wake up, get yourself out of bed and do some stretches. Or even in bed you can, but probably the soft surface won't work as well. Stretch all the muscles you can think of and that will help wake your body up physically so maybe you won't be so wobbly.

Are you taking any sleeping meds? Hitting the snooze a billion times? I find that when I set the alarm for an earlier time thinking it will give me a better chance of waking up on time, I just end up hitting the snooze, waking up *later* than I am supposed to, and feeling even more tired and groggy. So try and set the alarm so that it can be hit one time, two times tops, IMHO.

Hope I didn't overanalyze that too much! Its funny though, I got out of bed from my nap, walked by one of my cats and said 'man its hard to get out of bed' then I get on here and its one of the first things i see!

And tara, you are certainly right that we should all appreciate our ability to get out of bed in the morning and experience life...not every one is as lucky.

Edited by quietCherub, 06 September 2006 - 06:40 PM.

Trying to save myself, but my self keeps slipping away...

#4 Amberline

Amberline

ID: 7045

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:28 AM

Hi All

I'm glad I have read this forum - this is me but I'm afraid keeping breakfast in my house did not work I just can't get out of bed and I don't want to. I force myself but I am still going to work but reluctantly. I'm a get up and go person now.

My main problem is getting to sleep at night - I have tried all sorts sleeping tablets, alcohol and horlicks - all on different nights off course and neither have worked for me.

I have a very over active mind that constantly thinks about everything that makes me depressed and i just make myself worse - can't cope anymore!

I originally came on here as my partner was depressed but I am also depressed now according to my doctor.

:hearts: :bump:

Edited by Amberline, 07 September 2006 - 09:29 AM.

I am still learning to love myself while trying to help others do the same.

#5 littleblackduck

littleblackduck

Platinum Member

ID: 877

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:02 AM

I have never liked to get up in the morning, but work necessitates it. When I stay up late the feeling is worse. For me it is not part of depression. I just like to sleep in. I think it is part of my personality. There are worse traits to have... :hearts:

#6 Guest_hensley258_*

Guest_hensley258_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:31 AM

Lately I have had a really hard time getting up in the morning. Im talking my legs feel like they dont work, I have no energy, and when I get out of bed I cannot stand up or walk straight. My body feels lazy. I know what I am doing, but I will bumo into things like the doorway, hit my feet on things.

this is not a regulat thing for me either. After I get over this, about an hour, I am back to normal. I cant walk around and such. Is there a way for me to get more energy when i wake up in the morning? I feel so tired and fatigued in the morning.

That's very normal. Well, I mean normal for people who suffer with depression. In fact, I have the exact same issues in the morning when getting out of bed. Even if I sit up first for a minute I still feel like a cat that had it's wiskers cut off because I'm really dissoriented.

It's hard to explain the feeling. It's kind of like a dizziness, but differnt. I know what your talking about though, when you say "you feel wobbly and disoriented." It's a pretty freaky and scary feeling. I have to drink about half a urn of coffee with my meds in the morning just to make the sensation go away.

Depression sucks ***. I hate this disease and how phisically and mentaly sick it makes me all the time.
I would give my right arm never to have to deal with it again. Literally, I would trade my right arm. That's how much I hate it.

#7 oceangirl

oceangirl

ID: 9821

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 05:12 PM

Depression sucks ***. I hate this disease and how phisically and mentaly sick it makes me all the time.
I would give my right arm never to have to deal with it again. Literally, I would trade my right arm. That's how much I hate it.

I hate the use the word hate, but I too HATE this disease! I struggle with those feelings of anger and frustration for my illness. In order for me to treat my depression effectively, it takes such love - the opposite of all that anger. I try not to feel angry and frustrated (it is what it is) but I wonder if I suppress too much of that anger, only adding to the sadness inside.? Does that make sense? I just continue to try to be easier on myself and the world around me. We all have our 'stuff'.

Any advice to help alleviate the anger and frustration from dealing with depression? I don't ever want to feel like a victim but sometimes I feel so violated by this illness.

Most days I would absolutely give my left arm to be symptom free for the rest of my life. The day before yesterday I think I would have given my right. It was a sucky one!

Edited by oceangirl, 07 September 2006 - 05:15 PM.

#8 Guest_hensley258_*

Guest_hensley258_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:34 PM

I hate the use the word hate, but I too HATE this disease! I struggle with those feelings of anger and frustration for my illness. In order for me to treat my depression effectively, it takes such love - the opposite of all that anger. I try not to feel angry and frustrated (it is what it is) but I wonder if I suppress too much of that anger, only adding to the sadness inside.? Does that make sense? I just continue to try to be easier on myself and the world around me. We all have our 'stuff'.

Any advice to help alleviate the anger and frustration from dealing with depression? I don't ever want to feel like a victim but sometimes I feel so violated by this illness.

Most days I would absolutely give my left arm to be symptom free for the rest of my life. The day before yesterday I think I would have given my right. It was a sucky one!

I'm not angry with others because of it and I don't blame my condition on anyone. I hate very few, if anything in this world, but I do hate this disease with everything in me. I always think why couldn't god have given me another illness like diabeties, or cancer instead.

I really hope there is an after life because if so, when I'm gone I'm going to hunt down this Demon called depression and beat it senseless. I'm going to inflict untold tourture upon it for stealing my happy life and for the pain it's caused myself and everyone in this fourm.

You are right, hate is a strong word and may only serve to destroy me, but after all that I have suffered at the hands of this disease I feel I have earned the right to hate it with a passion.

I have learned to accept it, but I still hate it.

#9 Goldstar

Goldstar

Advanced Member

ID: 8354

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 06:21 AM

You're right I absalutely hate this desise so much I would give my little toe but not much else coz stuff like that really freaks me out.

I always find it hard to get up in the morning. I remember watching this interview (when I wasn't depressed) with James Hewitt and he said he went through a time where it was hard for him to get up in the morning and what a horrible feeling it was for him. I remember thinking; that's me everyday. Even when I'm not depressed.
'There is no substitute for inner peace and happiness'

#10 AKindOfMagic2

AKindOfMagic2

ID: 34548

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:53 PM

That's very normal. Well, I mean normal for people who suffer with depression. In fact, I have the exact same issues in the morning when getting out of bed. Even if I sit up first for a minute I still feel like a cat that had it's wiskers cut off because I'm really dissoriented.

It's hard to explain the feeling. It's kind of like a dizziness, but differnt. I know what your talking about though, when you say "you feel wobbly and disoriented." It's a pretty freaky and scary feeling. I have to drink about half a urn of coffee with my meds in the morning just to make the sensation go away.

I totally agree. I would give my right arm for it. I mean, it wouldn't make that much of a difference because I'm left handed. haha...I also have a ridiculously hard time get up in the morning. I've always had a little bit of a struggle, but it's never been as bad as it has the past month. I don't care if I'm not going to sleep, I just want to lay in bed all day. I've even skipped class to sleep, and I'm definitely not that kind of student. ARGH! I hate this.

Edited by AKindOfMagic2, 12 March 2009 - 07:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users