Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
depressedone

Starting Cymbalta

69 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello everyone,

Today I am starting my very first day of cymbalta. I was prescribed 20 mg from my doctor after the second time on lexapro didnt work. I really hope cymbalta works for me...

You might also be interested in:

Posted

I hope so too. It's definitely made a difference for me. Please keep posting, and letting us know how you're doing.

Posted

I hope you have great luck with Cymbalta, too. I went from Lexapro to Cymbalta and don't miss the teeth clenching I had on Lexapro. The usual start up effect is stomach ache and a flu-like feeling that lasts for about a week. Usually, an over the counter anti acid takes care of this. Be sure to drink plenty of water and don't take this med on an empty stomache, either.

Let us know how the initial start-ups go!

Jackie :hearts:

Posted

Wow, congradulations! and welcome to the Cymbalta family! :) In my opinion it's the best AD. Let us now how oyu are doing on it, k?

Posted

Thanks everyone!

So far I don't feel any start up side effects. How long did it take everyone to feel the effects of cymbalta?

What happens if i take it on an empty stomache? Thats usually what I do...and it'll be really hard to change it.

Also does it matter if i take it every day at the same time? Or does taking it once a day good enough?

Vixter90 likes this

Posted

Thanks everyone!

So far I don't feel any start up side effects. How long did it take everyone to feel the effects of cymbalta?

What happens if i take it on an empty stomache? Thats usually what I do...and it'll be really hard to change it.

Also does it matter if i take it every day at the same time? Or does taking it once a day good enough?

You're really lucky you haven't had any start-up effect, i remember the first day i took it, i was in nausea-hell!! 2nd day was pretty good. How long it takes for it starts to work depends on the person because you know everyone is different, so I would generally say you know notice a difference the first week!!! I did and so did people around me who didn't even know I had started taking it. I take 120mg of cymbalta everyday, I just take both 60mg pills at once on an empty stomach. It's generally best to take it at the same time whatever that may be everyday. I choose to take mine in the morning I been on cymbalta like 2 years now so I can play around with when I take it and don't have that dreaded "brain shock" people get. Um... did any of that make any sense?? hahaha I was trying to write this and my roommmate is being dramatic around his breakup.. anyways... Good L UCK!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Posted

It makes my stomach really sore! I need to get something in there. I also take mine in the am or I'll be awake all night.

Jackie

Posted (edited)

Ohh I see. Well so far I haven't had any start up side effects.........i dont know why i usually never do. I didnt even have any on lexapro. Although I did remember that the first day i took cymbalta i felt really depressed an hour later..thats the only thing i can recall.

I really hope that I start feeling the effects in a week...ill keep updating...so far i feel the same, no change what-so-ever

I've also decided to take it the same time everyday...but thing is i usually fall asleep right away after taking it, is that fine? I take it everyday at noon but most of the time right after taking it, i will usually go back to bed....im wondering if thats acceptable?

Edited by depressedone

Posted

Cymbalta made me really sleepy when I first started it. The tiredness went away after a week or so.

Posted

Ohh I see. Well so far I haven't had any start up side effects.........i dont know why i usually never do. I didnt even have any on lexapro. Although I did remember that the first day i took cymbalta i felt really depressed an hour later..thats the only thing i can recall.

I really hope that I start feeling the effects in a week...ill keep updating...so far i feel the same, no change what-so-ever

I've also decided to take it the same time everyday...but thing is i usually fall asleep right away after taking it, is that fine? I take it everyday at noon but most of the time right after taking it, i will usually go back to bed....im wondering if thats acceptable?

Thanks well good that you didn't have any start up effects. Hopefully that still means the medicine will work out for you. You gotta remember though antidepressants aren't "happy pills". They aren't going to magically make you feel happy. They only are suppose to keep you from going so "down" like into like deep depression. I had to get myself to think of that so I wouldn't be disapppointed and not think it's working.

Yeah keep us updating on how you are doing. That's fine you take it and go back to sleep cause that's what I do. My mental clock always get me up between 5:30 and 6:30 for some reason to wake up and go to the bathroom and that's when I'll take all my meds (cymbalta, abilify, wellbutrin xl -- then I go back to sleep) there is another antidepressant (elavil) I take at night (7pm) cause it makes me drowsy and think slow and it helps kills my insomnia I have along with the sleeping pill I have to take called restoril (amitripyline). Gosh, hahaha, after typing that I guess realize I'm on a lot of meds... D***. but anyways keep us posted :) We are all happy to tell your our experiences with it.

Posted

Aber,

My theory for meds is, "Whatever works!" I'd take whatever I had to to keep the symptoms down....... :bump:

I usually drink a cup of coffee in the am to jump start my day, and get to work. I have the sleepiness in the early afternoon. I recently got a new job and work days, to I don't notice feeling tired, as I'm on my feet for the entire 8 hours. When I get home; well, that's another story!

Posted

Aber,

My theory for meds is, "Whatever works!" I'd take whatever I had to to keep the symptoms down....... :bump:

I usually drink a cup of coffee in the am to jump start my day, and get to work. I have the sleepiness in the early afternoon. I recently got a new job and work days, to I don't notice feeling tired, as I'm on my feet for the entire 8 hours. When I get home; well, that's another story!

Hey Jackie, it's always nice talking to you. WOW!!!!! Congradulations on your new job!!! Do you like it so far?? I have 2 part-time jobs, one I work in the mall in a store called abercrombie & fitch (I know excatly how you feel when you have to stand up for 5- 8 hours) , and some days I go to my other job at the law firm to help out doing coping, filing, etc.. Oh did I mention i have class too? lol.. my doctor seems to think i'm doing too much, but you know some days I feel really depression and when I get in to my job I seem to get brighter and some of the depression lifts up, you know what I mean? :) however getting toward the end of my shift - time to get off it slowly starts to come back. :shocked:

Posted

I didn't have the anti-depressant efect until my fourth week. However all the "side-effects" I got made it easy for me to hang in there until that happened. Loss of appetite and weight loss (I'm obese so I loved that one) It also began taking away nueralgia pain in my arm and the fibromyalgia pain. And it also helped with my bladder problem. I loved all those effects so when the anti-depressant kicked I felt really good. Almost completly pain free!

:hearts:

I also have some hand trembling. Has anyone gotten that from the Cymbalta? I'm hoping it's the Trillafon that is doing that or that there is a medicine to counter act it. I do pottery so the trembling is a real annoyance.

Posted

I didn't have the anti-depressant efect until my fourth week. However all the "side-effects" I got made it easy for me to hang in there until that happened. Loss of appetite and weight loss (I'm obese so I loved that one) It also began taking away nueralgia pain in my arm and the fibromyalgia pain. And it also helped with my bladder problem. I loved all those effects so when the anti-depressant kicked I felt really good. Almost completly pain free!

:hearts:

I also have some hand trembling. Has anyone gotten that from the Cymbalta? I'm hoping it's the Trillafon that is doing that or that there is a medicine to counter act it. I do pottery so the trembling is a real annoyance.

Gawd yeah, I so remember the hand trembling thing, I had it for A LONG TIME.. for me I guess it went away after a year or so.. it even affected my driveing, I got pull over (by the police -- on the express ways/interstates )cause I wouldn't drive "straight". I whole body would be trembling so it very annoying to other people on the couch and in bed with my parnter

Posted

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback and encouragement!!

Just updating a little. So far its been a week and no changes.....no side effects felt either, but no mood change what-so-ever. I've been sleeping more than ever....no motiavation....just as bad as before. From now on ill probably just update every week unless something comes up.

Posted

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback and encouragement!!

Just updating a little. So far its been a week and no changes.....no side effects felt either, but no mood change what-so-ever. I've been sleeping more than ever....no motiavation....just as bad as before. From now on ill probably just update every week unless something comes up.

You're only on 20mg, right? that's a reawlly low dosage. People usually start @ 30mg for 3 days or 5 days, and then go up to 60mg... maybe that's why you aren't feeling any change yet..

Posted

It really is a slow start up. I cross tapered from Lexapro 10mg. to Cymbalta 30mg. for a week or less then went right up to 60mg. My doc said theywere so close to the same class of meds that it didn't require much time. I had some problems with sleep, and stomache and split the 60 into two 30mg. doses for a month. I have tons of anxiety and have trouble sleeping at night, no naps, either. It's time-released. I can't take it at night or I'd be awake all night. Tried it once, and that was enough!

Good Luck! I've been on it for over two years, now and don't notice any problems, other than feeling a little tired all the time. Much better than anxiety attacks and chronic worry! Sleep? Well I guess that problems is going to be with me......... I have a chronic pain disorder and have a difficult time with trying to get comfortable.

Posted

20mg is a slow start up, if you're not having too many side effects. I had to start on 15mg for a handful of days, and then move on to 30mg and then 60mg. Going from 30 to 60 wasn't bad, but taking 30mg right in the beginning was too much, so that's why I started with the 15mg. Have you asked your doc why you started on the 20mg? Or mentioned moving up, if you're not feeling side effects and want it to start kicking in. I didn't feel the full effects until later, and I don't know if anxiety is a problem for you, but I felt pretty much instant help for my anxiety. That's the reason I stayed through the side effects because it sure made me nauseus as h*ll when I first started with it!

Posted

Yes i am still continuging taking 20 mg every day....some days i forget to wake up at noon and take it but its ok because i take it as soon as i wake up..

What do you guys suggest I do? should i call my doc and ask him? I know its only been a week and i shouldnt feel it until 3-4 weeks.....but if u guys think i should call my doc and see what he wants to do, i will.

As for some other information.....when i started taking cymbalta my doc told me to stop the lexapro cold turkey....and as for anxiety, i am worrying all the time.

Also, is it normal to be sleeping for more than 24 hours? I know that this drug makes you drowsy....but just the other day I slept 28 hours and woke up and felt very nauseas walking around..

Posted

Yes i am still continuging taking 20 mg every day....some days i forget to wake up at noon and take it but its ok because i take it as soon as i wake up..

What do you guys suggest I do? should i call my doc and ask him? I know its only been a week and i shouldnt feel it until 3-4 weeks.....but if u guys think i should call my doc and see what he wants to do, i will.

As for some other information.....when i started taking cymbalta my doc told me to stop the lexapro cold turkey....and as for anxiety, i am worrying all the time.

Also, is it normal to be sleeping for more than 24 hours? I know that this drug makes you drowsy....but just the other day I slept 28 hours and woke up and felt very nauseas walking around..

I think you should talk to your doctor and ask him why he started you off on 20mg, and not 30mg. Tell him you feel it's not working. a lot of people see a difference a week or 2. hmmm.. well everyone is different. soo... being nauseas is a side effect of cymbalta that usually goes away in a few days, and it does make you sleep (in my experiiences) when you first start taking it. since you're feeling anxiety still you sure inquire about buspar or klonopin.

Posted

My doc told me that they were both from the same class of drugs so there realy wasn't any reason to do a taper, but i went from Lexapro10mg., to thirty mg. of Cymbalta over a five day period, then up to 60mg. I really had the stomach thing bad, and had to use otc stomach stuff, and eventually acid-x, which she gave me samples of in the office. I tried the 30-30 split for a month.

My guess is that you're very tired or the ad's really knock you for a loop if you are sleeping this much. I was working when I switched. It made my anxiety go up as I was afraid I'd have some kind of wierd reaction at work, but I didn't.

If your depression is severe, are you sleeping to avoid things that feel triggering? I don't know of a nice way to ask this. Sleeping too much is a way to stay away from things, as we all know. I'm concerned about you. We only need 6 to 8 hours of sleep to function. I guess I'm on the other side of this. I also have anxiety, and trying to get 6 is an endeavor for me. :hearts:

I'd call my doc if I couldn't wake up from only 20mg!

Jackie :bump:

Posted (edited)

ok so i called my doc today and he said to go up to 40 mg starting today....and he said as soon as i run out of my current prescription to call him and he will start filling 40 mg tablets since i only have 20 mg tabs at the moment

also does it matter since i have to take two 20 mg tablets now, that if i put both the tablets in my mouth and swallow with water? or does one after the other work as well.....geez im asking dumb questions...

gosh i hope this works....

Edited by depressedone

Posted

That is NOT a dumb question! I don't think it would matter whether you swallow both at the same time or one right after the other. I don't know if it would be hard to swallow two at once. I take the 60mg and I don't think I could swallow two at the same time. They're pretty large. Good luck!

Posted

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. We're around so you can ask all the questions you need to ask. Don't be afraid, as most of us know what's up with meds as we've been on them for a long time.

Posted

Hi everyone

I started Cymbalta two weeks ago. I switched from Effexor XR after tapering down from 225mg. The Effexor was great for a while but it quit working. The side effects were bad also.

I am having some of the same effects with the cymbalta. I won't go into detail because it's kind of embarrasing. Any ladies on here have problems with cymbalta and your private parts? My doctor says it's fairly common and we'll have to weigh it against how well the cymbalta works. I can already tell it's working. I goofed up and took a decongestant with it and that caused problems. It's bad when you get sinus infections and can't take your normal meds for it.

I wish this med wasn't so expensive but it'll be worth it if it works.

Cheryl