Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Starting Cymbalta

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 depressedone

depressedone

ID: 8760

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 09:44 PM

Hello everyone,

Today I am starting my very first day of cymbalta. I was prescribed 20 mg from my doctor after the second time on lexapro didnt work. I really hope cymbalta works for me...

#2 taffycat

taffycat

Gold Member

ID: 42

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 04:54 AM

I hope so too. It's definitely made a difference for me. Please keep posting, and letting us know how you're doing.
...in a time lacking in truth and certainty and filled with anguish and despair, no woman should be shamefaced in attempting to give back to the world, through her work, a portion of its lost heart.
-Louise Bogan

Posted Image

#3 Jkm

Jkm

ID: 28

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 06:51 AM

I hope you have great luck with Cymbalta, too. I went from Lexapro to Cymbalta and don't miss the teeth clenching I had on Lexapro. The usual start up effect is stomach ache and a flu-like feeling that lasts for about a week. Usually, an over the counter anti acid takes care of this. Be sure to drink plenty of water and don't take this med on an empty stomache, either.

Let us know how the initial start-ups go!

Jackie :hearts:
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#4 aberCoreyfitch

aberCoreyfitch

ID: 927

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 12:18 PM

Wow, congradulations! and welcome to the Cymbalta family! :) In my opinion it's the best AD. Let us now how oyu are doing on it, k?
Corey, I"m 26 years old; Atlanta, GA now.. I'm happy :)

#5 depressedone

depressedone

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:09 PM

Thanks everyone!

So far I don't feel any start up side effects. How long did it take everyone to feel the effects of cymbalta?

What happens if i take it on an empty stomache? Thats usually what I do...and it'll be really hard to change it.

Also does it matter if i take it every day at the same time? Or does taking it once a day good enough?
  • Vixter90 likes this

#6 aberCoreyfitch

aberCoreyfitch

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:46 PM

Thanks everyone!

So far I don't feel any start up side effects. How long did it take everyone to feel the effects of cymbalta?

What happens if i take it on an empty stomache? Thats usually what I do...and it'll be really hard to change it.

Also does it matter if i take it every day at the same time? Or does taking it once a day good enough?

You're really lucky you haven't had any start-up effect, i remember the first day i took it, i was in nausea-hell!! 2nd day was pretty good. How long it takes for it starts to work depends on the person because you know everyone is different, so I would generally say you know notice a difference the first week!!! I did and so did people around me who didn't even know I had started taking it. I take 120mg of cymbalta everyday, I just take both 60mg pills at once on an empty stomach. It's generally best to take it at the same time whatever that may be everyday. I choose to take mine in the morning I been on cymbalta like 2 years now so I can play around with when I take it and don't have that dreaded "brain shock" people get. Um... did any of that make any sense?? hahaha I was trying to write this and my roommmate is being dramatic around his breakup.. anyways... Good L UCK!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

#7 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 08:31 PM

It makes my stomach really sore! I need to get something in there. I also take mine in the am or I'll be awake all night.

Jackie
Posted Image

#8 depressedone

depressedone

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 02:15 AM

Ohh I see. Well so far I haven't had any start up side effects.........i dont know why i usually never do. I didnt even have any on lexapro. Although I did remember that the first day i took cymbalta i felt really depressed an hour later..thats the only thing i can recall.

I really hope that I start feeling the effects in a week...ill keep updating...so far i feel the same, no change what-so-ever

I've also decided to take it the same time everyday...but thing is i usually fall asleep right away after taking it, is that fine? I take it everyday at noon but most of the time right after taking it, i will usually go back to bed....im wondering if thats acceptable?

Edited by depressedone, 08 September 2006 - 03:01 AM.

#9 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

ID: 8499

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:41 AM

Cymbalta made me really sleepy when I first started it. The tiredness went away after a week or so.

#10 aberCoreyfitch

aberCoreyfitch

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:29 PM

Ohh I see. Well so far I haven't had any start up side effects.........i dont know why i usually never do. I didnt even have any on lexapro. Although I did remember that the first day i took cymbalta i felt really depressed an hour later..thats the only thing i can recall.

I really hope that I start feeling the effects in a week...ill keep updating...so far i feel the same, no change what-so-ever

I've also decided to take it the same time everyday...but thing is i usually fall asleep right away after taking it, is that fine? I take it everyday at noon but most of the time right after taking it, i will usually go back to bed....im wondering if thats acceptable?

Thanks well good that you didn't have any start up effects. Hopefully that still means the medicine will work out for you. You gotta remember though antidepressants aren't "happy pills". They aren't going to magically make you feel happy. They only are suppose to keep you from going so "down" like into like deep depression. I had to get myself to think of that so I wouldn't be disapppointed and not think it's working.

Yeah keep us updating on how you are doing. That's fine you take it and go back to sleep cause that's what I do. My mental clock always get me up between 5:30 and 6:30 for some reason to wake up and go to the bathroom and that's when I'll take all my meds (cymbalta, abilify, wellbutrin xl -- then I go back to sleep) there is another antidepressant (elavil) I take at night (7pm) cause it makes me drowsy and think slow and it helps kills my insomnia I have along with the sleeping pill I have to take called restoril (amitripyline). Gosh, hahaha, after typing that I guess realize I'm on a lot of meds... D***. but anyways keep us posted :) We are all happy to tell your our experiences with it.

#11 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 05:16 AM

Aber,

My theory for meds is, "Whatever works!" I'd take whatever I had to to keep the symptoms down....... :bump:

I usually drink a cup of coffee in the am to jump start my day, and get to work. I have the sleepiness in the early afternoon. I recently got a new job and work days, to I don't notice feeling tired, as I'm on my feet for the entire 8 hours. When I get home; well, that's another story!

Posted Image

#12 aberCoreyfitch

aberCoreyfitch

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:05 AM

Aber,

My theory for meds is, "Whatever works!" I'd take whatever I had to to keep the symptoms down....... :bump:

I usually drink a cup of coffee in the am to jump start my day, and get to work. I have the sleepiness in the early afternoon. I recently got a new job and work days, to I don't notice feeling tired, as I'm on my feet for the entire 8 hours. When I get home; well, that's another story!

Hey Jackie, it's always nice talking to you. WOW!!!!! Congradulations on your new job!!! Do you like it so far?? I have 2 part-time jobs, one I work in the mall in a store called abercrombie & fitch (I know excatly how you feel when you have to stand up for 5- 8 hours) , and some days I go to my other job at the law firm to help out doing coping, filing, etc.. Oh did I mention i have class too? lol.. my doctor seems to think i'm doing too much, but you know some days I feel really depression and when I get in to my job I seem to get brighter and some of the depression lifts up, you know what I mean? :) however getting toward the end of my shift - time to get off it slowly starts to come back. :shocked:

#13 RoseTower

RoseTower

ID: 9086

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:28 PM

I didn't have the anti-depressant efect until my fourth week. However all the "side-effects" I got made it easy for me to hang in there until that happened. Loss of appetite and weight loss (I'm obese so I loved that one) It also began taking away nueralgia pain in my arm and the fibromyalgia pain. And it also helped with my bladder problem. I loved all those effects so when the anti-depressant kicked I felt really good. Almost completly pain free!
:hearts:
I also have some hand trembling. Has anyone gotten that from the Cymbalta? I'm hoping it's the Trillafon that is doing that or that there is a medicine to counter act it. I do pottery so the trembling is a real annoyance.

#14 aberCoreyfitch

aberCoreyfitch

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:51 PM

I didn't have the anti-depressant efect until my fourth week. However all the "side-effects" I got made it easy for me to hang in there until that happened. Loss of appetite and weight loss (I'm obese so I loved that one) It also began taking away nueralgia pain in my arm and the fibromyalgia pain. And it also helped with my bladder problem. I loved all those effects so when the anti-depressant kicked I felt really good. Almost completly pain free!
:hearts:
I also have some hand trembling. Has anyone gotten that from the Cymbalta? I'm hoping it's the Trillafon that is doing that or that there is a medicine to counter act it. I do pottery so the trembling is a real annoyance.

Gawd yeah, I so remember the hand trembling thing, I had it for A LONG TIME.. for me I guess it went away after a year or so.. it even affected my driveing, I got pull over (by the police -- on the express ways/interstates )cause I wouldn't drive "straight". I whole body would be trembling so it very annoying to other people on the couch and in bed with my parnter

#15 depressedone

depressedone

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 01:27 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback and encouragement!!

Just updating a little. So far its been a week and no changes.....no side effects felt either, but no mood change what-so-ever. I've been sleeping more than ever....no motiavation....just as bad as before. From now on ill probably just update every week unless something comes up.

#16 aberCoreyfitch

aberCoreyfitch

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 01:39 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback and encouragement!!

Just updating a little. So far its been a week and no changes.....no side effects felt either, but no mood change what-so-ever. I've been sleeping more than ever....no motiavation....just as bad as before. From now on ill probably just update every week unless something comes up.

You're only on 20mg, right? that's a reawlly low dosage. People usually start @ 30mg for 3 days or 5 days, and then go up to 60mg... maybe that's why you aren't feeling any change yet..

#17 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 05:21 PM

It really is a slow start up. I cross tapered from Lexapro 10mg. to Cymbalta 30mg. for a week or less then went right up to 60mg. My doc said theywere so close to the same class of meds that it didn't require much time. I had some problems with sleep, and stomache and split the 60 into two 30mg. doses for a month. I have tons of anxiety and have trouble sleeping at night, no naps, either. It's time-released. I can't take it at night or I'd be awake all night. Tried it once, and that was enough!

Good Luck! I've been on it for over two years, now and don't notice any problems, other than feeling a little tired all the time. Much better than anxiety attacks and chronic worry! Sleep? Well I guess that problems is going to be with me......... I have a chronic pain disorder and have a difficult time with trying to get comfortable.

Posted Image

#18 quietCherub

quietCherub

Silver Member

ID: 442

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:34 AM

20mg is a slow start up, if you're not having too many side effects. I had to start on 15mg for a handful of days, and then move on to 30mg and then 60mg. Going from 30 to 60 wasn't bad, but taking 30mg right in the beginning was too much, so that's why I started with the 15mg. Have you asked your doc why you started on the 20mg? Or mentioned moving up, if you're not feeling side effects and want it to start kicking in. I didn't feel the full effects until later, and I don't know if anxiety is a problem for you, but I felt pretty much instant help for my anxiety. That's the reason I stayed through the side effects because it sure made me nauseus as h*ll when I first started with it!
Trying to save myself, but my self keeps slipping away...

#19 depressedone

depressedone

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:44 PM

Yes i am still continuging taking 20 mg every day....some days i forget to wake up at noon and take it but its ok because i take it as soon as i wake up..

What do you guys suggest I do? should i call my doc and ask him? I know its only been a week and i shouldnt feel it until 3-4 weeks.....but if u guys think i should call my doc and see what he wants to do, i will.

As for some other information.....when i started taking cymbalta my doc told me to stop the lexapro cold turkey....and as for anxiety, i am worrying all the time.

Also, is it normal to be sleeping for more than 24 hours? I know that this drug makes you drowsy....but just the other day I slept 28 hours and woke up and felt very nauseas walking around..

#20 aberCoreyfitch

aberCoreyfitch

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:42 PM

Yes i am still continuging taking 20 mg every day....some days i forget to wake up at noon and take it but its ok because i take it as soon as i wake up..

What do you guys suggest I do? should i call my doc and ask him? I know its only been a week and i shouldnt feel it until 3-4 weeks.....but if u guys think i should call my doc and see what he wants to do, i will.

As for some other information.....when i started taking cymbalta my doc told me to stop the lexapro cold turkey....and as for anxiety, i am worrying all the time.

Also, is it normal to be sleeping for more than 24 hours? I know that this drug makes you drowsy....but just the other day I slept 28 hours and woke up and felt very nauseas walking around..

I think you should talk to your doctor and ask him why he started you off on 20mg, and not 30mg. Tell him you feel it's not working. a lot of people see a difference a week or 2. hmmm.. well everyone is different. soo... being nauseas is a side effect of cymbalta that usually goes away in a few days, and it does make you sleep (in my experiiences) when you first start taking it. since you're feeling anxiety still you sure inquire about buspar or klonopin.

#21 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:26 AM

My doc told me that they were both from the same class of drugs so there realy wasn't any reason to do a taper, but i went from Lexapro10mg., to thirty mg. of Cymbalta over a five day period, then up to 60mg. I really had the stomach thing bad, and had to use otc stomach stuff, and eventually acid-x, which she gave me samples of in the office. I tried the 30-30 split for a month.

My guess is that you're very tired or the ad's really knock you for a loop if you are sleeping this much. I was working when I switched. It made my anxiety go up as I was afraid I'd have some kind of wierd reaction at work, but I didn't.

If your depression is severe, are you sleeping to avoid things that feel triggering? I don't know of a nice way to ask this. Sleeping too much is a way to stay away from things, as we all know. I'm concerned about you. We only need 6 to 8 hours of sleep to function. I guess I'm on the other side of this. I also have anxiety, and trying to get 6 is an endeavor for me. :hearts:

I'd call my doc if I couldn't wake up from only 20mg!

Jackie :bump:
Posted Image

#22 depressedone

depressedone

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:43 PM

ok so i called my doc today and he said to go up to 40 mg starting today....and he said as soon as i run out of my current prescription to call him and he will start filling 40 mg tablets since i only have 20 mg tabs at the moment

also does it matter since i have to take two 20 mg tablets now, that if i put both the tablets in my mouth and swallow with water? or does one after the other work as well.....geez im asking dumb questions...

gosh i hope this works....

Edited by depressedone, 14 September 2006 - 02:45 PM.

#23 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:00 PM

That is NOT a dumb question! I don't think it would matter whether you swallow both at the same time or one right after the other. I don't know if it would be hard to swallow two at once. I take the 60mg and I don't think I could swallow two at the same time. They're pretty large. Good luck!

#24 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:21 PM

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. We're around so you can ask all the questions you need to ask. Don't be afraid, as most of us know what's up with meds as we've been on them for a long time.

Posted Image

#25 24&mustangs

24&mustangs

Advanced Member

ID: 6335

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:36 PM

Hi everyone
I started Cymbalta two weeks ago. I switched from Effexor XR after tapering down from 225mg. The Effexor was great for a while but it quit working. The side effects were bad also.
I am having some of the same effects with the cymbalta. I won't go into detail because it's kind of embarrasing. Any ladies on here have problems with cymbalta and your private parts? My doctor says it's fairly common and we'll have to weigh it against how well the cymbalta works. I can already tell it's working. I goofed up and took a decongestant with it and that caused problems. It's bad when you get sinus infections and can't take your normal meds for it.
I wish this med wasn't so expensive but it'll be worth it if it works.

Cheryl

#26 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:27 PM

??? I'm not sure what you mean. Are you talking about sexual side effects, as in libido?

#27 depressedone

depressedone

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:38 PM

Hello all,

Just updating a litttle.....i guess ill just take two one after another....seems sensible...

As far as my mood goes, nothing has changed and its been about 2 weeks...the increase from 20 mg to 40 didnt make too much of a difference....im going to wait it out becuase i know it can take up to four weeks....tomorw i have to call my doc to start making the prescription to 40 mg......i dunno if cymbalta is gonna work...i hope it does

#28 erin

erin

ID: 10137

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 10:24 AM

I started Cymbalta three days ago (30 mg.). I'm taking it in the morning with food. I can't sleep, I feel really weird (tingly is the best way I can describe it) and my ability to concentrate at work is worse now than before meds. Is this a normal startup reaction? (I know the sleepnessless is, but the rest?)
Next week, I'm supposed to start 60 mg. but I'm scared to go to a double dose. I have an important interview and I can't imagine going to it the way I feel right now. I'm afraid I'm going to feel even worse after a double dose.

#29 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 10:40 AM

The sexual side effects are the same no matter what ad I'm on. :bump: Some docs will prescribe Wellbrutin to counter act this, but mine said my anxiety was too much of a problem and this would put me over the edge, Double :shocked:

Erin,

I'd talk with the doc about something for the sleep problem. This med is time released, so if it's bothersome now, I don't know if it's going to get better.......... I take mine real early in the am, too and stay away from caffine in the evening, or I'm in a light stage of sleep that isn't restful; it's fitful. Ugh! One time my doc said to use an OTC product with benedryl in it, but I can't take benedrly due to the restless leg thing.

I have sinus problems, and I can't take antihistimines due to restless leg syndrome. I guess you need to talk to the doc about that, too. I usually use guaffinsen liquid and hope it breaks up so I don't have to get on antibiotics.

Jackie

Sounds like you both are going through the adjustment phase. It's interesting how different people get different things. Hopefully, other people will have some tips to offer both of you. :hearts:
Posted Image

#30 Faylen

Faylen

ID: 10016

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:07 PM

My doc told me a couple of things about the sleep, because I started having a different kind of sleep problem when I started (than the other different sleep problems I've had all my life, dontchaknow) and he told me to give it a few weeks after my dose went up to 60 mg and see how it goes. He also said that for many of his patients, if they wait it out, let themselves be awakened by the vivid dreams and just try to go back to sleep without sleep meds, the positive effect on their moods is better. I still have my Sonata for those nights when I've been lying there for more than a half hour trying to get back to sleep, but even my broken-up sleep is better than what I was getting before Cymbalta.

#31 depressedone

depressedone

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:34 PM

Hey guys do u think i should ask my doc for more than 40 mg? or should i just take 40 mg and wait it out?

#32 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 03:32 PM

We're not docs depressedone. Maybe he told you when or why he wanted to increase this when you saw him last. I know that they like to take you up slowly on meds, so if you're not having any terrible side effects to tell him about, let him know your concerns and see what he wants to do. It sounds like you're doing well. The usual dose is 60mg., and it may be a little longer until what you're on is in your system enough for you to really feel a difference. I wish these meds worked in a different way, but they don't. It usually goes this way for other people. It sounds like you're on schedule.

Jackie
Posted Image

#33 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:15 PM

Yea, I'd stick with the 40 for awhile and if you don't feel any different, then let your doctor know and see if he wants to prescribe the 60. There is no sense pushing it to the max if you don't need to. That way if you need more later, you can add more. I know people take more than 60mg, but for some reason my doctor says he won't prescribe more than that, until there's more evidence a higher dose works.

#34 depressedone

depressedone

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 05:56 PM

Hey guys,

Ok big update.....i called my doc and he said that the cymbalta should have started working by now so he took me off cymbalta and put me on celexa. He also said I should seek a psychiatrist in my area which I will be doing. Well im going to post in the celexa forum now.

Thanks everyone and good luck to you all!

#35 grapeape

grapeape

ID: 8819

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:50 AM

Im starting Cymbalta 30mg today, meanwhile tapering down to 10mg Lexapro... will come off Lexapro completely soon. The Lexapro made me sleep all day, and didnt do much for the anxiety. I have to say that both Celexa and Lexapro are hard starters, so Cymbalta would have to be pretty nasty to bother me much.

For what it's worth, Celexa used to work for me but Lexapro didn't work a bit. I realize that everyone responds differently, but it's hard for me to view Lexapro as anything other than a desperate grab for cash when Celexa went off patent. :)

Hopefully the Cymbalta will work OK for me.

BTW, I think its a pretty silly name. For some reason when I hear it I visualize those toy monkeys with the cymbals... you know the ones.

#36 Made_in_Britain

Made_in_Britain

Advanced Member

ID: 10427

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:17 PM

:hearts: , you've got me thinking that now.
Posted Image

#37 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:57 PM

I was on Lexapro for 15mo., and it did get me out of the depression and anxiety, so it did work for me, but the jaw clenching had to go........

Why did you go on Cymbalta? I got on it right after it came out as I have problems with pain in my legs on top of everything else. I also get problems that sound like neuropathy and it's touted for that. I have restless legs and finally went on neurontin, which is the only med that has really helped with this, so far. Whew!

And the startup was like having the flu. I hope you skate right through this. It's turned off a couple of people from staying on it....... The only startup problems I've had with psych meds, so far. Just my luck! LOL!

We're glad you're here! Keep posting! We love hearing from new people! :hearts:

Jackie
Posted Image

#38 Swiss Viking

Swiss Viking

Just Registered

ID: 10424

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 05:05 PM

Hi everyone,

I just started on Cymbalta (60mg) 9 days ago, and was in addition put on Xanax for the first couple of weeks which I will start taper off this coming week.. I take the Cymbalta in the morning, and Xanax once in the morning and once at night.

My panic attacks and depressive thoughts have cleared away very quickly which is great. I do however not know which medication is giving me the current effects?

The side effects so far are:
- Tiredness and fatigue in the morning!
- Almost no hunger feeling throughout the day (I have nothing against that..)
- Decreased interest in sex (a bit frustrating, since I love sex).
- I also have had to work a loooong time to reach an orgasm this past week... (not a big problem, but my girlfriend has started to wonder if I have lost interest in her...)

I would be interested in what your experiences are with the sex drive - will this remain even after the Cymbalta has "settled" in, or what can I expect?

In general I am very positive to this first attempt of mine to take AD's, and I should possibly have started this many years ago, but all info about what to expect, and how to deal with the various side effects would be very appreciated.

Thanks and greetings from Switzerland

#39 grapeape

grapeape

ID: 8819

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:00 AM

Here's an update:

I'm on day 5 of my Lexapro / Cymbalta "crossfade", taking 10mg Lex (down from 20) and starting to take 30mg Cym. At the 7 day mark I'll drop the Lex completely and go to 60mg Cym.

At present time I am happy with my progress, though of course it is way early. I tend to feel a bit six to my stomatch and somewhat headachey for a couple hours after the Cymbalta, but it fades fast. I was apprehensive about mixing and matching the two meds but this ways the recommended technique by my pdoc and it seems to be working fine.

JKM - if your question was for me, my problems are some generalized anxiety, some depression, and some obsessive thoughts. Everything is minor to moderate. No full-blown OCD, but negative thoughts (say, anger when I get into a confrontation with someone) tend to get stuck in my head and I cannot let them go. My anxiety doesn't usually prevent me from doing things, but it does interfere with enjoyment. Ditto with my depression; I can function, I just am not very interested in anything. Any meds I take are to combat this combination of problems.

When I started Lexapro it did help with the depression. I felt less generally "down". However, it seemed to do less for the anxiety, as I continued to worry about certain things, and little for the obsessive thinking, as I had a confrontation while playing sports which bothered me for several days afterwards. Just could not let it go.

In some cases I might be open to staying with the Lex and adding another med, but the problem here is that the Lex made me extremely sleepy. At any given point in the day I felt like I could sleep, and I did in fact sleep between 10 and 12 hours per day. I just did not feel like I had the energy to do the things I needed to do. And so I dropped lex and am now trying Cymbalta.

I'm a strange case because I tend to be somewhat sleepy and low-energy to begin with, but overstimulating meds exacerbate my anxiety. It's a difficult situation, so I'm always looking for something that can make me feel better without adding to my anxiety or putting me to sleep. So far so good with Cymbalta, though it will take at least a month or two to get a real sense of it.

(I've tried Wellbutrin as well, with some success, but it does little for anxiety, and seems to cause enough muscle tension to make my body feel bad after awhile.)

#40 taffycat

taffycat

Gold Member

ID: 42

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:24 AM

Swiss Viking, welcome. Once your system has adjusted to the Cymbalta, the side effects will disappear. My understanding is that it still may take you longer to attain the O, however. I hope that Cymbalta works for you. I've been on it twice. The first time, it did nothing for me, and this time it really is helping me. Good luck, and keep posting.

Grapeade, I'm glad that the crossover is continuing well.
...in a time lacking in truth and certainty and filled with anguish and despair, no woman should be shamefaced in attempting to give back to the world, through her work, a portion of its lost heart.
-Louise Bogan

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users