Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Zyprexa

medication zyprexa olanzapine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ska123

ska123

ID: 75681

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

Hi. I'm new here on this site. I'm currently being treated for a unipolar depression with anxiety. My current meds are 40 mg Paxil, 1 mg xanax xr 2x/day (total 2 mg), 10 mg dexedrine sr 2x/day (total 20 mg) and 10 mg zyprexa. I started the zyprexa at 2.5 mgs this past May, and it was working great. Life events got in the way, and we gradually had to up the zyprexa to 10 mgs. I've only been on the 10 mg for 3 nights. I'm very concerned that this is a very high dose for someone who is not bipolar or psychotic and have been really anxious about it. Ironic, isn't it, anxious about the meds that I'm prescribed for anxiety. Is there anyone out there who is also on zyprexa, and at what dose?

#2 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

ID: 17288

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

It's not uncommon for dosage changes in these medications to cause more anxiety and I agree it does have some irony to it. I would certainly ask your Dr. why the choice to increase the Zyprexa instead of maybe the Paxil. I'd express your concerns that it is more commonly used for bi-polar and psychotic disorders, so maybe just voice it as a curiosity and concern question vs. a challenge, which I'm sure your MD. would understand.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 csh

csh

Silver Member

ID: 46751

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:28 AM

Hello

I am currently on zyprexa 5mg as an augmentor of my anti depressant.

I am currently exceeding the recommended maximum dose of my anti depressant, so when my doctor adjusts my meds, it is the zyprexa that he adjusts.

I have found that even small increases in zyprexa have really made a positive difference. He once tried to wean me off the zyprexa but I started to go downhill, so I am back on 5mg.

So I would say I have a positive experience of the drug overall. I still struggle with the sedation side effect. He that been bothering you?

Anyway,as Maddielouise has said, best to discuss your concerns with your doctor. Your medication plan should be a collaborative effort between the two of you.

Best of luck.

#4 jacqui41

jacqui41

Advanced Member

ID: 39955

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:07 AM

hi i am also on 10mg of zyprexa to boost my other anti depressants
it has been a life saver for me, the only thing i dont like is the weight gain but im working on that
i also take mirtazapine and sertraline.
zyprexa is often used in this way dont worry x
Think of the ones you would die for and live for them

#5 ska123

ska123

ID: 75681

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:47 PM

Yeah, CSH, I'm struggling with the sedation. It didn't bother me much at 5 mg or even 7.5, but the 10 is knocking me on my butt. Luckily I didn't gain weight yet from the drug, I'm hoping that the increase doesn't cause that. I eat pretty well and exercise fairly regularly, so hopefully I'll be able to avoid weight gain.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: medication, zyprexa, olanzapine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users