Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Depression And Being Too Serious About Life..

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Fixmylife

Fixmylife

ID: 72386

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:12 AM

hey all,hope i have permission to share whats working for me today... just started to head towards a depression and pulled myself out before it settled in... there is always somethings I could be pointlessly serious,frustrated,stressed,depressed about..."how do i pay my bills,why am i ttill single,im old,i failed,why me.." or anything else that could be yes a fact of the situation now but one of the easiest ways is to not take yourself or life too seriously im most likely not going to change my situation by going into a deep depression...

#One of the best things ove found is to get into some comedy and have a laugh,learn to laugh at yourself make it a part of your daily plan for wellness because dwelling on how you feel is not going to change anything in the world.

Its counter intuitive to seek out comedy i was actually thinking of posting the most dreary depressing status on my facebook about how sht life is when i looked up some funny an ballsy status updates...obviously completely not where my headspace was but funny in that fact that im positing something so stupid and opposite it got me out of my depression and i susspect that there at any one time is probably 10 of my friends who have fought off the urge today to post the 'whats the point of life' statuses you see so they can have a laugh aswell..

hope it works for others aswell,im a sucker for being a clown..
..The Challenges Of Today Become The Strength Of Tommorow..

#2 PoeticProse

PoeticProse

Gold Member

ID: 62484

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:36 AM

I agree that reframing one's thoughts can be one of the best methods in turning a bad situation into a good one. The reframing strategy can legitimately change lives, and it is not too difficult of a concept to grasp. Rather than looking at the negatives, try to acknowledge the positives; if you're being too serious, turn it into a joke like you mentioned. It is most certainly a great way to prevent future depressive episodes and make enjoyment and happiness high priorities.
PoeticProse
realize what you have, and all you could lose

#3 Fixmylife

Fixmylife

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:01 AM

haha yeah,as you say if you cant go for the positives go for the comedy then the positives will have an easier time of getting through..

#4 OceanBreeze9721

OceanBreeze9721

Community Assistant

ID: 17927

• DF Support
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:27 PM

Sometimes when I'm with others and they ask me how I'm doing, this is where I can make it funny and tell them that everything is going wrong and I'm having a stressed out day and this and that, I think it puts others at ease when you can tell them that you have stress as well instead of hiding it.

Don't let your emotions be in control of you.  You be in control of your emotions.

When worry thoughts come up, ask if it is something that I can let go of.  Is it something I have to worry about or can I let it go.  Count backwards from ten and let it go.

To not feel awkward in social situations, act interested in others and it will ease some of the anxieties.

Breathe relax and regroup even if for a few seconds.

Balance down time with activities and exercise. Not too much sleep and not too much exercise.

Set realistic goals and check them once in a while.

Don't let only negative thoughts be the ones to focus on, focus on the good things, even if only a few.

#5 Fixmylife

Fixmylife

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:09 AM

Nice one!.. I think with depression many of us get too serious and try to change our life conditions when it would be much easier to make life winnable by a change in our expectations..

For example someone with servere anxiety disorder might never become the ceo of a multinational corperation with his inhereted introversion,panic attacks or stress and as they say bigger is not always better and prehaps this is the case with a person predisposed to depression,If i was vertically challenged i wouldn't put the pressure on myself to be the next Jordan basketballer or perhaps the woman whos 45 and has been wanting kids of her own for the last 10years well it probably isnt going to happen at her age..so then Its probably a good idea for us to change our expectations at times in order to see what IS an opportunity in front of us..

this will take some of the heavyness away and bring in the comedy!

Edited by Fixmylife, 11 January 2012 - 03:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users