Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Normal To Have Random Bad Days?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Football305

Football305

ID: 68444

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:04 AM

So ive been taking Celexa for 5 weeks now...a few days after starting i felt alot better...but then i felt bad again (depressed & angry) for about a week or two...then i felt better again...but the past few days ive felt bad again...is it normal to have these random down periods??

#2 StoniumFrog

StoniumFrog

ID: 67011

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:32 AM

Football305,
It is normal to have good days and bad days. As you are in the initial phases of taking your meds, they will be there. The thing is to remember a few things
1. Meds are there to provide some semblance of balance - while not being patronising, they are not happy pills but rather a means to allow you to see logic in your situation.
2. As with the meds, there are other means of helping yourself - keep the diet sensible, get plenty of water and exercise.
3. You will still have normal bad days but if you can see means to allay those fears - talk to people, take a few minutes to assess the situation.
Keep in there Football - recovery takes time and take solace that you are someway returning to form.
Posted Image  Posted Image

#3 lukn4hope

lukn4hope

ID: 58523

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:58 AM

Bad days are normal for everyone. The only problem is when those bad days begin to stretch out into bad periods. If you are having bad periods, I think you should talk to your pdoc. You pdoc might want to adjust your dose or add something.

I'm happy that the Celexa is helping you. I know that you've been through a lot trying to find the right med.
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. The information provided by me is intended purely for entertainment purposes.

#4 Football305

Football305

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:02 AM

Bad days are normal for everyone. The only problem is when those bad days begin to stretch out into bad periods. If you are having bad periods, I think you should talk to your pdoc. You pdoc might want to adjust your dose or add something.

I'm happy that the Celexa is helping you. I know that you've been through a lot trying to find the right med.

How many days would count as a bad period? So far its been about 5 days.

Im not sure if he can increase my dose anymore, because im on Celexa 40mg, i heard any higher causes heart risks.

#5 Football305

Football305

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

Football305,
It is normal to have good days and bad days. As you are in the initial phases of taking your meds, they will be there. The thing is to remember a few things
1. Meds are there to provide some semblance of balance - while not being patronising, they are not happy pills but rather a means to allow you to see logic in your situation.
2. As with the meds, there are other means of helping yourself - keep the diet sensible, get plenty of water and exercise.
3. You will still have normal bad days but if you can see means to allay those fears - talk to people, take a few minutes to assess the situation.
Keep in there Football - recovery takes time and take solace that you are someway returning to form.

I agree they are not happy pills, but i love how i feel when they are working...i feel the ability & desire to do things, and ability to enjoy things. When they are not working, i feel completely unwilling to do anything, completely unable to enjoy anything.

#6 lukn4hope

lukn4hope

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:30 PM

Im not sure if he can increase my dose anymore, because im on Celexa 40mg, i heard any higher causes heart risks.

I can't give you an exact number. If you are still feeling bad after a few more days, I think it is worth calling your pdoc. If you are really feeling bad, it's worth calling your pdoc ASAP.
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. The information provided by me is intended purely for entertainment purposes.

#7 UMustang

UMustang

ID: 53397

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:44 AM

Down days can happen for any number of reasons unrelated to your meds, so it's completely normal. As for the number of days, I don't think that there's a definitive number. I think if you feel that 5 days is a long period of time then it would be wise to engage your pdoc and tell him or her what your concerns are.

Regarding the Celexa dosage, there have been warnings regarding dosages above 40mg and potential heart risks. I'm currently on 60mg and have been for the better part of a year. When I went back up to 60mg (I've gone 20->40->60->40->60) my pdoc sent me for an EKG to make sure there was nothing abnormal with my heart. I go for one now every three months to check on things.

Diagnosis - Clinical Depression, 28 years and counting

Medication - 60mg Celexa daily

Problem Drinker, been dry since March 1, 2013

Currently - In a good place

#8 peachesmary6

peachesmary6

ID: 71040

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

even "normal" people have random bad days. I have random bad weeks. as long as it doesn't get to bad or stretch out to 2 weeks or more i don't worry to much about it.

My Diagnoses:

anxiety disorder, Borderline personality disorder, ADHD, Treatment resistant major depression,aspbergers, dystemia, etc.

My Current meds: none

My Previous meds:
Prozac, Paxil, Celexa, pamalor,
welbutrin, trazadone, Buspar , can't remember all the names to many.

#9 tekgrl

tekgrl

ID: 37679

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:22 PM

Everyone has bad days, everyone feels depressed at times and it all depends on what's going on in your life.

When I was on 60mg citalopram it almost felt that nothing could get me down - I found that very strange and it's certainly not normal to be happy all the time.

My two pence worth anyway. Good luck - things get better, understanding myself and my own head has helped me the most.

tekgrl

--
TekGrl - female,31 and in technical computing related career

Meds: Currently on Sertraline 50mg (dropped from 100mg 4 weeks ago), was on Citalopram for 3 yrs before. Also on Levothyroxine for thyroid problems.

Diagnoses - Depression , Anxiety. Usually ok until there's a life trigger. Diagnosed in 2009, but think it's been going on since 1992.

#10 Football305

Football305

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:22 PM

I have read and been told that the beginning of starting a new AD can be a bumpy ride with lots of ups and downs, until the medication kicks in fully.

My question is, at what point does the bumpy ride end?

Ive already been taking Celexa 40mg for 8 weeks, and the past few days ive felt my depression coming back...i didnt think this would still be happening 8 weeks in.

#11 lukn4hope

lukn4hope

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:02 AM

I have read and been told that the beginning of starting a new AD can be a bumpy ride with lots of ups and downs, until the medication kicks in fully.

My question is, at what point does the bumpy ride end?

Ive already been taking Celexa 40mg for 8 weeks, and the past few days ive felt my depression coming back...i didnt think this would still be happening 8 weeks in.

I would say that it's time for you to have a talk with your pdoc.

#12 Nellyzen

Nellyzen

Advanced Member

ID: 72593

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:45 AM

I have bad days too...a couple of months ago when I was really stressed out at work I had 5 bad days in a row, that was so scary. I isolated myself completely, even my friends noticed I did not say a word on Facebook, etc.

When I was normal I wasn't scared of a bad day, or even a week...now I panic because I don't know what it means.

For your own peace of mind, I would talk to your pdoc.
"When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time." -

#13 Football305

Football305

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:26 PM

I did talk to my pdoc a few days ago...but he wasnt much help...he didnt even agree that its common to have ups & downs when starting a new AD, which i thought was common knowledge.

Honestly ive learned more from people's feedback on here than i have with my doctor.

#14 misscelexa

misscelexa

Just Registered

ID: 74923

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

Hi Football305,

I just joined this site and completely agree that you can learn so much more from other's feedback then any doctor.
I was recently out sick with walking pneumonia, and started to skip a day here and there from from Celexa 20mg. I was on 40mg for over 2 years, and in this recent 6-8 months have begun to taper down... about 3 months at 30mg, and now I'm going on month 3 with 20mg... in any case, I also like you, have felt down days and begin to fall into a bad period-- I have felt a bit down and very lethargic, dizzy, loss of appetite, headaches for about 4 days now...

in fact, while I was sick in bed and not at work, I began to start feeling used to not being in the "real world" and just wanted to stay in bed forever. I returned to work last Thursday and Friday (i teach second grade), and have felt like a zombie... yet also feeling anxious and a desire to crawl back into bed.

How long have you been on the 40mg? (The entire duration of 5 weeks that you mentioned in your initial post?)
Are you experiencing some of the more "physical" symptoms like I am? Or is it more of the "sad" feeling?

Hang in there--- I hope we both can "snap out" of our bad day period....

#15 Football305

Football305

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

hi misscelexa, sorry for the late reply, i didnt have internet for a while.

ive been on celexa for 10 weeks now.

i havent experienced the physical symptoms like you...but like you, ive wanted to stay in bed and do nothing else.

i keep a journal of how i feel, and so far its been 11 days that i feel very depressed & have zero interest in anything.

However, today i feel better...hopefully ive snapped out of this bad period.

#16 trustinginHimalone

trustinginHimalone

ID: 73003

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:25 PM

I think if you are having more than a couple bad days in a row after 5 weeks on the meds, then they are probably not working for you. I find there is a kind of placebo effect, so that in the beginning, I feel better than usual anyway when starting a new med. That runs its course withing a week though.
... though I walk through the shadow of the valley of death, I will fear no evil.. Ps. 23

...call upon Me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will honor me.. Ps. 50

#17 Meirionne

Meirionne

Community Assistant

ID: 75292

• DF Support
  • 866 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

I'm very interested in all these posts. I started citalopram 20mg in November but after 6 weeks with no improvement it was increased to 40mg. I am sleeping very much better but I still feel depressed and anxious. I really thought I would feel well by now and I am wondering how long it will take, but I am prepared to persevere.

Good luck and I hope your meds work soon,

Meirionne
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion. (the Dalai Lama)

US & International Hotlines Hotlines for UK Hotlines for Canada Teen Helplines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users