Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

I Can't Get Out Of Bed.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 ladysmurf

ladysmurf

ID: 67203

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:46 AM

Please help…I need your help/advice.

I’ve reached the point where I don’t want to leave my house. I can’t get out of my bed. I’m tired of sitting in my bed but every time I try to get up and do something I lose interest within seconds. I can’t read I can’t play video games; I can’t do anything for more than a few minutes. I just dropped out of college because I feel this way. I feel like I want out of this world. I wanted to go into the US Air force but with my condition it is impossible. The only people who seem to understand are people on this site I feel hopeless and useless. I feel like a burden on society and most importantly on my life.

Until you make peace with who you are, you'll never be content with what you have

#2 tinkerbell

tinkerbell

ID: 72940

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

hey hun, i understand completly how you feel, i feel the same. everything becomes such a chore even getting out of bed. are you on any medication? or seeing anybody professional? i suppose i make small goals for myself even just having a shower and dont push yourself too much or expect too much of yourself. sorry im not much help but im in exact the same boat at the moment, im just about about of bed, havent eaten or washed yet today though just havent had the motivation, just trying to do something to eat now though. im here to talk if you need me xx

#3 naruto

naruto

ID: 62030

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

Dear ladysmurf,

I have been there and I understand exactly how you feel. Please don't be hard on yourself. I read in your other post that you are on cymbalta + abilify and wellbutrin. I am not knowledgeable about this cocktail. However, I take an SSRI, Lexapro which really helps me to get going in the morning. May be you can discuss with your doctor about taking some other medication. I know how tough it is to get the right cocktail, however you have the deserve to be happy and I hope you keep fighting. We are all here for you and if you need any help, feel free to post on DF.

I also want to let you know that you are not at all a burden on anyone. Depression makes us think that way and it is not true at all. Take it from a person who used to be in bed for 12-16 hours daily for one and a half year and now sleeps for 7-9 utmost. I didn't use to shower for 3-4 days. Now I shower daily except for weekends, when i take liberty sometimes :Coopwink: . I had to take 2 incompletes in my courses, but after medication and therapy I was able to complete them. In short, I want to let you know that things may seem really dark now, but if you keep going on and fighting, things get better. I am not completely free of depression, but i am coping well enough to have better life than before. I hope that you see the light soon too. And till that time comes be kind and loving towards yourself.

Much love and blessings,
Naruto
  • bumblyboo and tinkerbell like this
Zettai ni akirame nai( I absolutely won't give up -- Naruto)

#4 Helium

Helium

Community Assistant

ID: 44830

• DF Support
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:57 PM

I can relate... Actually I haVe about two days in my bed and I refuse to go out of the room. I don´t find the motivation to do anything and taking a shower is becoming a daunting task. I haven´t wash my hair for about 1.5 week and I don´t have the energy to do so. I know in my case, when work starts and ballet, I´ll be out of bed and go back to my routine. Having something that forces me out of bed helps me a great deal (I should thank my meds for that).

You are not a burden, or useless. I believe you have so much to offer, but like many of us, you are sick. It´s is a matter of getting the best treatment we could get to more or less control the monster inside of us.

Take care and tons of hugs.
"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?"

— Ernest Hemingway

#5 rekj3

rekj3

Just Registered

ID: 72300

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

I also have trouble getting out of bed. Sometimes I will get up and as soon as my husband leaves for work I go straight back to bed. My husband does not know that I go back to bed. He also does not know that I skip out on going to the Jazzercise classes I signed up for. I hate keeping things from him, but he doesn't seem to understand how depressed I am. I am taking medications...Buproprion and Pristiq. I tried adding Abilify but it made me gain a lot of weight. Now I'm even more depressed with all the weight I've gained. I have no interest in anything it seems. My sex life with my husband is dying out. I haven't showered in about 3 weeks. I am at a rock bottom time in my life. I was diagnosed with depression and PTSD about 11 years ago and have been on many medications and have seen many counselors. I just don't know what to do now.

Edited by rekj3, 03 January 2012 - 05:16 PM.

#6 Phlebas

Phlebas

Advanced Member

ID: 29832

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:06 PM

I can relate. However, I've been really "up and down" lately, waking up after only a few hours sleep this morning. I'm feeling good though, having seen the morning, eaten a healthy breakfast of oats (An appetite!) and taken Aniracetam - which really helps with my fatigue. Not to mention having a shower this morning. You all said you haven't had showers... Well, walk into your bathroom, turn on the taps, and clean yourselves! It's as easy as it sounds, your minds are just tricking you into believing otherwise.

Also, are your bedrooms really dark in the morning? I recently switched from dark, morbid curtains to some white ones that let the light in in the morning. The curtains are nothing close to a cure for my depression, but they've really helped. Maybe give it a try? If it's not too cold, try sleeping with the window slightly open. I find the fresh air helps.

Hope you guys start feeling better soon! :smile:
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. ~C. S. Lewis

#7 spider and i

spider and i

ID: 71764

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

I just don't know what to do now.

Hi rekj3,

I really sympathize with your plight, I'm going through similar things myself. Hoping and praying you can pull through. Hugs)
  • rekj3 likes this

#8 henrithecat

henrithecat

Silver Member

ID: 49919

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:30 PM

Just chiming in to say I feel the same way as you all. I've been sleeping all day and all night, basically unable to get up from the sofa except to eat. Now that I'm back at work, I find it incredibly difficult to focus and, like many of you, I cannot seem to bring myself to shower regularly. I feel so awful and ashamed being at work knowing how dirty and nasty I am. I just want to be in bed all the time and never do anything.
I'm on a roll this time. I feel my luck could change.

#9 Altl13

Altl13

ID: 68551

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

hey i know exactly how you. i am there and i feel the same i was just on holiday and for most of it i staid in bed. it was like i couldn't get out of bed more like i wouldn't get out of bed. i basically lost interest in everything but now I'm bad in school and the only reason i am is because of my mom even though she is dead she was always trying to say i have to be everything she couldn't be so i am and i know i have to get my butt out of bed and go to school and get an education if I'm gonna succeed in life so in a way thats what keeps me going so maybe find something that keeps you going... if you ever need to talk I'm here for you

~ Anna
  • spider and i likes this

#10 sober4life

sober4life

Gold Member

ID: 6941

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

I know how it is. It just seems so pathetic when I look at the clock and see that I've been sleeping for 15 hours and decide I should go back to sleep. It's crazy. It seems like I could sleep forever. No matter how long I've been in bed I feel like it's not enough. I just can't ever remember being as depressed as I am now.
  • spider and i likes this

#11 spider and i

spider and i

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:26 PM

Even dropping a letter off at the post office seems like a mountain right now. I hate where I live, I hate my room, I can't stand the people in this city. I'm just so tired of everything.

Edited by spider and i, 03 January 2012 - 11:37 PM.

#12 spider and i

spider and i

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:40 PM

thats what keeps me going so maybe find something that keeps you going... if you ever need to talk I'm here for you

~ Anna

Hi Anna, thanks for your story it was very uplifting; I'm very sorry about your Mom. It's good that you find something to keep you going even through your hardships. Best of luck :

#13 Lyra

Lyra

ID: 51532

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:49 PM

I definitely understand and have been there, as I'm sure most of here have been. Other than just sheer making yourself do it with babysteps, I hope you will find the motivation you need to get back into things. As they said, are you currently on medications? I know you said you just dropped out of college, but I know my college, as well as many others, have medical services and psychologists available that are paid by your tuition. Maybe it would be worth just looking into?

Edited by Lyra, 03 January 2012 - 11:50 PM.

#14 ladysmurf

ladysmurf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

Dear ladysmurf,

I have been there and I understand exactly how you feel. Please don't be hard on yourself. I read in your other post that you are on cymbalta + abilify and wellbutrin. I am not knowledgeable about this cocktail. However, I take an SSRI, Lexapro which really helps me to get going in the morning. May be you can discuss with your doctor about taking some other medication. I know how tough it is to get the right cocktail, however you have the deserve to be happy and I hope you keep fighting. We are all here for you and if you need any help, feel free to post on DF.

Much love and blessings,
Naruto

Yeah I am on meds but they dont do much. They're just helping my anxiety not my depression :(

Until you make peace with who you are, you'll never be content with what you have

#15 ladysmurf

ladysmurf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

I just wonder if I can't make my dreams come true because of my stupid depression whats the point of living?

#16 spider and i

spider and i

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:13 PM

I don't think your dreams should be put on hold ladysmurf, you can fight whatever is holding you back! The fact that you have dreams means a lot. I hope you are able to realize them soon

Edited by spider and i, 04 January 2012 - 05:13 PM.

#17 Violet31

Violet31

ID: 47678

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:32 PM

((((Ladysmurf))))

I´ve been where you are and when I had my worst depressive episodes I could not get out of bed.
The way out of this situation is creating a small goal, stick to it and slowly come out.
I know fear and anxiety can make us almost paralyzed, but you can do it.
First, make a small goal like going out for a ten minute walk or doing a light housework, then go back to bed.
Do the same tomorrow.
Increase the activity every three days.

What got me out of bed was this:
1. Medication, 2. Daily exercise, 3. Therapy, 4. Self-help, 5. Work, 6. Support from loved ones, 7. Challenge myself every week, 8. Looking honestly at my anxiety and finding out why I was anxious. 9. Looking only for solutions to problems. 10. Relaxation, CBT and meditation. 11. Hobbies.

I know it sounds overwhelming at first and it can take a long time. Take it one step at a time and wean yourself slowly out of bed.

Good luck! You can do it. :hearthrob:
  • bumblyboo and rekj3 like this
When you´re going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.

Viktor Frankl

Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.
Jean-Paul Sartre

Use adversity      Declare Independence 

Violet :rose:

Posted Image

#18 rekj3

rekj3

Just Registered

ID: 72300

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:38 PM

I took a shower for the first time in 3 weeks!! It did feel good to be clean. I am going to take some of ya'lls suggestions and take baby steps, doing one thing at a time. My first goal is to take a shower once a week. Hope you all try taking baby steps, setting a small goal and continue from there. That's my intention anyway.

#19 ladysmurf

ladysmurf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:18 AM

thanks guys. this means a lot to me. this is the only place i feel understood.
  • rekj3 likes this

#20 zildjiangirl

zildjiangirl

ID: 67857

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:11 PM

I am completely the same way right now. Except you are slightly more motivated than i am becausae you made a new thread on this board. i really want to but I click new thread and then get mad and unmotivated to type even though i have so much i could type. like you, I'm on cymbalta and wellbutrin...both fairly new to me, haven't noticed a difference yet. I've been on paxil and prozac before..didnt do anything. my psychiatrist has made several appointments for me to go to counseling but when I tell him I literally can't get out of bed... I mean it. So I just haven't showed up to any of my appointments...which makes me feel so guilty because I am normally very responsible/punctual/respectful. i also know that if i go to counseling i won't even be able to talk, i'll just sit there and sob. i just have gone through too much at my age to find any hope in the world. I feel you completely.

#21 Rainbowstar

Rainbowstar

ID: 72429

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:57 AM

Hi Ladysmurf,

All of us on this forum can relate to your pain. I hope you get better soon.

The previous posts are contain wonderful suggestions. I would like to add three more suggestions.

1. Action precedes motivation: In Physics, Isaac Newtons first law of motion is that an object in motion tends to stay in motion while an object at rest tends to stay at rest unless acted upon by an outside force. Often, once we start doing something, our motivation increases and this in turn improves mood. I know this from personal experience. The important message is that don't wait for motivation to appear to start doing things because often the motivation won't appear.

2. Regarding getting out of bed, you can put an alarm clock somewhere in your room, which will force you to get out of bed. On your worse days, in which getting out of bed is very difficult, you can t try listening to the radio, music or podcast whilst in bed. The advantage of doing this is that it will distract you from negative thoughts.

3 Posting on depression forums is an awesome way to improve mood.

I hope this helps.

Sometimes, it helps to look at the stars, look at other animals and look at the bigger picture. Doing this makes us feel better.

#22 Bubblehead99

Bubblehead99

ID: 72936

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:15 AM

I can relate to this so much. When I had these episodes I wouldn't eat or drink and would only venture out of the house when I knew everyone was asleep.
It was terrible, the best thing I did was take myself to see a doctor on a spur of the moment.

I know things can seem helpless right now, but when I get in these phases these days I do find putting some music on and doing some housework a good way
to get up and about. It stops me from thinking about all the doom and gloom and instead my thoughts are on cleaning or whatever it may be.
Just keep it simple and keep at it. Good luck and keep posting

#23 ladysmurf

ladysmurf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:00 AM

I am completely the same way right now. Except you are slightly more motivated than i am becausae you made a new thread on this board. i really want to but I click new thread and then get mad and unmotivated to type even though i have so much i could type. like you, I'm on cymbalta and wellbutrin...both fairly new to me, haven't noticed a difference yet. I've been on paxil and prozac before..didnt do anything. my psychiatrist has made several appointments for me to go to counseling but when I tell him I literally can't get out of bed... I mean it. So I just haven't showed up to any of my appointments...which makes me feel so guilty because I am normally very responsible/punctual/respectful. i also know that if i go to counseling i won't even be able to talk, i'll just sit there and sob. i just have gone through too much at my age to find any hope in the world. I feel you completely.

Hi,
I am on wellbutrin and cymbalta as well. how do you currently feel? I am on 300wellbutrin and 60cymbalta.

#24 Chilly1

Chilly1

Just Registered

ID: 73422

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:37 PM

I'm new & not sure I'm responding correctly.
I'd just like to mention that my doctor does conference calls with me
on those days I can't leave my bed, maybe you can ask yours to do that for you.
If he didn't I doubt I would have been able to continue counseling, or much of anything without him. It's been about 9 yrs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users