Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Is Forgetfulness Part Of Depression?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Leafman

Leafman

ID: 72723

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:37 PM

Hi there! I'm just wondering if forgetfulness is part of depression.

As to why I think I have depression, well I'm sad because of these reasons -> http://www.depressio...from-a-failure/

Yes, my forgetfulness is part of why people get mad at me. The thing is, there's no way to prove to them that my memory is becoming worse each passing year. Whenever I tell them I'm in pain or my eyesight is bad or that I forgot about something, they'll just say "You're just making an excuse". Honestly, I'm getting more worried about my forgetfulness because I wasn't like this when I was 20 years old (I'm almost 30 now). I'm worried that my worsening memory could be another symptom of an even more horrible problem...or even mental problem.

For example, when I was asked what I wore 2 days ago, I honestly didn't know the answer despite me thinking very hard.

I don't want to end up like those old people who can't remember their own family members. If I only had money I'd really go to a doctor and have him check my head for problems.

Edited by Leafman, 28 December 2011 - 09:39 PM.

#2 Rainbow Caterpillars

Rainbow Caterpillars

ID: 71957

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:46 PM

My memory gets MUCH worse when I'm depressed (though I'm not gonna win any award for it normally either, lol). I'm doing good now and don't have a clue what outfit I might've worn two days ago... maybe if I dug through the dirty clothes hamper it would jog my memory, lol.

If you're having problems, you should look around and see what sorts of free and low-cost alternatives are available for medical care in your area. There are many clinics with sliding scales based on income that could perhaps help you with your problems.
"From each according to their ability, to each according to their need."

#3 lindahurt

lindahurt

Platinum Member

ID: 53269

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:43 PM

Sometimes I am forgetful. When I am out and about I might forget where I'm going or don't remember what I was suppose to pickup at the store. I have a make a list when I first think about or I might not remember. Once I forgot one of my aunts name. I know her very well but couldn't recall the name until way later in the day. My doc says it could be due to one of my meds. I only take that particular on an as needed basis.

I think depression can also contribute forgetfulness. You are not as focus and alert. I hope it gets better for you.

Lindahurt

Even in the most horrific of situations, one's attitude has an enormous role in shaping what happens ~ Viktor Frankl
In you lies the power to choose, to commit - Stephen Convey

The kind of person you want to become is greatly influence by your inner decisions, and not from outside influence alone. We can even under adverse circumstances, decide what shall become of us ~ Brian C. Stiller

Posted Image

#4 Glosoli

Glosoli

ID: 28673

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:53 PM

I often say I have the memory of a goldfish.

I wondered this, too. My ability to retain information of any kind has been degrading every year since I became majorly depressed. I was 13, turning 24 next month, so that's a bit of brain missing, IMO. :unsure:

The memory problems compound my problems. I can't remember the info I need for simple tasks I have to carry out for my own care. :| If I don't write it down, I'll likely lose it. Problem is, I can't remember that I NEED to write stuff down. Vicious cycle. And friends and family just don't believe me either. I had a boyfriend angry at me all the time for forgetting things, no matter how many times I tried to explain my problem. They just think it's laziness. Truth be told, I lie a lot to cover that I remember things I have no recollection of.

I had a therapist for a very short time that said depression that goes on long enough is doing damage in that respect, but I don't know if that's true.

Definitely doesn't help matters any, that's certain.
Maybe it'll get better if we're happy long enough? I keep telling myself that, anyway.

*hugs*

#5 evalynn

evalynn

ID: 70689

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:27 PM

I never attributed my random lapses of memory to my depression; I always assumed it was caused by the anxiety. I remember a few times in high school I would randomly forget my locker combination, even though I used that locker ever school day! Even scarier, a few times I have forgotten what side of the road I'm supposed to be driving on when re-entering traffic. Things like that scare the crap out of me, and always seem to happen when I'm under a lof of stress. When I'm really tired, I forget how to spell easy words when normally I'm an excellent speller. So, for me, I think it's a combonation of anxiety and exhaustion, but I wouldn't be surprised if the depression was also a factor.
"Y un día después de la tormenta/ Cuando menos piensas, sale el sol" ~Shakira

#6 MyTwoSelves

MyTwoSelves

ID: 71899

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:46 PM

I seem to feel that way too, eventhough I can't fully verify this as I'm not a psych professional and I tend to have a good long-term memory(and terrible at short).

#7 lostingothicmusic

lostingothicmusic

ID: 70649

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:17 PM

ABSOLUTELY!

I find that when I am depressed I really struggle with my vocabulary when speaking. All the nouns go right out of my head and I'm left pointing at something saying 'the... um... thingy!! There - that thing!' and people's names too...it's very frustrating :boredsmiley:
feeling happy makes me a brighter shade of blue...

#8 rednamalas

rednamalas

ID: 72866

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:17 PM

Newbi,

I suffer from depression as well as fibromylagia..both mess up my memory (that is one of the reasons I had to quit teaching)..anyway, I have tried everything to improve my memory, but nothing helped. So I started writing notes to myself...Lots of notes. It really helped!
Do something nice for yourself today. You DESERVE it!

#9 WorkingTowardsaBetterLife

WorkingTowardsaBetterLife

ID: 57543

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:42 PM

I think in life we try to point to one reason something happens. My belief it's a combination of factors. That said my short term memory has suffered a bit and here is what I believe.

1. I am back to a high stress job
2. My marriage is not so good.
3. I take meds for BP1, OCD, etc.
4. I take ambien and that affects memory proven.
5. I have had major manic and depressive episodes over the last six months. A few full blow psychotic episodes where I can't remember why I am here, where I parked my car and if you touch me you are going to get hurt bad. I suffer from Paranoia and that's a combo of abusive childhood, major traumas, BP1, OCD, etc.

So my point being, its probably a number of factors that are causing your memory issues, and depression is definitely one of them, it's documented in the DSM......... forgot last part.

#10 Leafman

Leafman

ID: 72723

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:25 PM

I see hmm. Just got home now from doing errands. Another forgetful moment happened. So I loaded this big jug of water into the car's trunk. I unloaded it near the elevator. I went back to the car, parked it, and took the dolly to help push the jug of water around. As soon as I started walking with dolly in hand, in my mind I just thought "Oh no, I forgot the jug of water!" and headed straight back to the car's trunk, only to remember mid-way that I already unloaded it near the elevator.

#11 krispy30

krispy30

ID: 72829

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:45 PM

I find that depression causes SO MUCH exhaustion and that my focus is mainly on how miserable I am feeling, that is has definitely contributed to my memory loss. Whether or not I am on meds, my memory has really suffered from being depressed for such a long time, with little to no relief. Being that I am extremely med-resistant, I have been severely depressed for about 6 months with bouts of my OCD also flaring up. When I am feeling so miserable, that is literally all I focus on. I also find it unbearable to make simple decisions and have not been able to work for three years due to my inability to carry out simple instructions. I too am one of those who has to write EVERYTHING down so I don't forget. I think the longer you are depressed, the worse your memory gets. I am not a doctor but this has been my experience. Personally, I have been on SO many different meds that I believe that is another contributing factor of my forgetfulness.

I know it's hard but hang in there! Perhaps you can look at your local county hospital. Mine offers low cost services if you are low income. Worrying about being depressed is the WORST, making the depression that much more difficult to live through....and so begins the vicious cycle. For me, having severe depression/anxiety/OCD/agoraphobia has made it nearly impossible to focus on anything else-no wonder I can't remember the simplest of things. I know what you are going through and I hope you get the help you need.
Krispy

My long bout being misdiagnosed Bipolar II for the last year and a half, along with the following drugs: Lithium, Serzone, Lamictal, Neurontin, Remeron, Cymbalta, Abilify, Seroquel, Depakote, Propranolol, Ambien, Trazadone, Sonata, Valium, Ativan, Paxil, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Zoloft and Temazepam (these are the only ones I can remember. There are MANY more)

Current diagnosis: GAD (severe) OCD (severe) MDD ( Severe), Agoraphobia, PTSD

Possible diagnosis: Dysthymia with recurrent MDD

Current Meds: 30 mgs. Nortriptyline, 163 mgs. Seroquel, 1mg Klonopin 4x/daily, 15 mgs. Temazepam/10 mgs. Sonata, 7.5 mgs. Abilify

#12 Helium

Helium

Community Assistant

ID: 44830

• DF Support
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:43 PM

Hi there! I'm just wondering if forgetfulness is part of depression.

As to why I think I have depression, well I'm sad because of these reasons -> http://www.depressio...from-a-failure/

Yes, my forgetfulness is part of why people get mad at me. The thing is, there's no way to prove to them that my memory is becoming worse each passing year. Whenever I tell them I'm in pain or my eyesight is bad or that I forgot about something, they'll just say "You're just making an excuse". Honestly, I'm getting more worried about my forgetfulness because I wasn't like this when I was 20 years old (I'm almost 30 now). I'm worried that my worsening memory could be another symptom of an even more horrible problem...or even mental problem.

For example, when I was asked what I wore 2 days ago, I honestly didn't know the answer despite me thinking very hard.

I don't want to end up like those old people who can't remember their own family members. If I only had money I'd really go to a doctor and have him check my head for problems.

I have MAJOR issues with my memory. Im afraid that is not really my depression, but that theres something more to it. Im 24 and I have issues, imagine me with 40!

Try to find out what possibilities you have within your community to see a doctor at a low cost.

Best wishes
"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?"

— Ernest Hemingway

#13 NPC01

NPC01

ID: 72622

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:02 PM

Yes, I think it's quite common actually. It's rather closely linked to bad concentration which is a very, very common symptom of depression.

I did a bit of a maths paper the other day. I went back to check it five minutes after I finished and I had absolutely no recollection of ever having seen the page before!

#14 NotEvenOne

NotEvenOne

ID: 72966

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:38 PM

My memory is so bad at times it actually causes me anxiety. When I'm in a social situation or at work and my mind goes flat and I cant speak or remember what I'm talking about I get very self concious. I enjoy reading books but it is very difficult to do. All because of depression.

#15 solarflare

solarflare

ID: 66099

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:08 AM

oh yes, memory problems linked to anxiety and overthinking about the past and future

Imagine a giant asteroid on a direct collision course with Earth. That is the equivalent of what we face now [with climate change], yet we dither.

(James Hansen, Climate Scientist)

The sane people are unable to see the truth, even though they are convinced that they are the ones in touch with reality. It is only an insane man who is able to realize the degenerative nature of the ...... system.

#16 MaggieAndrewsMOM

MaggieAndrewsMOM

ID: 46157

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:13 PM

In my case, I definitely think so.

#17 DarkRain

DarkRain

Platinum Member

ID: 17621

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,864 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

I would definatley say I've become absent-minded. I often forget little things like my wallet or grocery lists, or forget to put something on my list for me to remember. :laugh:
"There is some good in this world Mr. Frodo and it's worth fighting for."

"I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil."

"My friends are my power! And I'm theirs!"

Posted Image

#18 trustinginHimalone

trustinginHimalone

ID: 73003

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

Forgetfulness, inability to focus or concentrate... all part of the depression package. Sometimes I am so out to lunch, I have a hard time doing my job, and I have to hope nobody notices..
... though I walk through the shadow of the valley of death, I will fear no evil.. Ps. 23

...call upon Me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will honor me.. Ps. 50

#19 Aaron7

Aaron7

ID: 52209

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:59 PM

I definitely find that when I start to get depressed from my anxiety I start to forget lots of little things. Definitely annoying. I too have written many notes during the bad times.

#20 WorkingTowardsaBetterLife

WorkingTowardsaBetterLife

ID: 57543

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:47 PM

I would definatley say I've become absent-minded. I often forget little things like my wallet or grocery lists, or forget to put something on my list for me to remember. :laugh:

If you are a techy like me and have a droid there is an app taskos that you can easily input your tasks into from gmail. It is a life saver for me. Sorry not trying to advertise it's free and I just want to help someone.

#21 Nellyzen

Nellyzen

Advanced Member

ID: 72593

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:49 AM

I wouldn't say our memory gets worse, I think due to the fact that we overthink everything, there is simply no room left for small things. I remember important things, I remember everything for school but no, I don't remember what I wore yesterday because it's not that important.

If you think of it, it's kinda funny:))
"When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time." -

#22 DesertDog

DesertDog

ID: 77374

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

Definitely, I find that when I'm very depressed or anxious, I'm also very forgetful. Additionally it impairs my ability to think clearly and concentrate. I have social anxiety and often it's as if it reduces my intelligence when I'm in social situations.

#23 Jeroen

Jeroen

ID: 73066

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:39 PM

Yeah, my memory is definitely worse when I'm in the grips of severe depression. I'd forget where I was going or about to do. I'd have a particular hard time seperating dreams from reality. I'd often ask myself "was that a dream I had, or did that really happen?" Mind, I have pretty specific dreams. I often dream about conversations with friends and family.

Meds do help here though. My memory has gotten a lot better over the past weeks. Hurrah!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users