Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Short-Term Disability To Long-Term To Cpp Disability

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cherished

cherished

ID: 18057

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:52 PM

Currently I'm off on short-term disability, going into my 9th week. It hasn't been smoothe so far, as they want all of these forms from my psychiatrist and my caseworker only approves ahead for 3 weeks at a time. Each time I have to get these "forms" from the pdoc completed it's a whopping $75. Manulife asked for another one just two weeks after the last one and I just bluntly said I couldn't afford these. I am off for depression which stemmed from major stress from my job (I'm a debt collector-credit cards), and it was just all getting to me. I have a long history of depression and was off 3 years ago for STD, but went back after 5 1/2 mos. The job was tough to bear for full-time so I dropped down to part-time (25 hours) and have remained there until now.

I, at this point, can't see myself going back to that crappy job; really don't think I can take the pressure anymore and think that the LTD will be my next course of action. Only problem is, I have heard horror stories about attempting to get LTD and being turned down for both that and CPP (Canada)on the first try. The sad thing is, only you know that you are unable to work, what does depression look like (we hide it so well), it doesn't show up sometimes. It's a feeling; a dreaded feeling and just doing some research it shows when interviews are done to qualify, you must be on your 'best behaviour' (pun) when it's your turn to speak.

Frankly, I'm terrified by what this whole outcome will be. The city I live in has very high unemployment so if I was forced to return to work and switch jobs, it would be hard-pressed at my age (55) or if I did, I think it would be difficult.

I had some pretty crappy years in the 1990's, in and out of hospitals for most of those years. Was on CPP for 8 years. Hopefully this will work in my favor for my depression illness and even applying for LTD and CPP this time. Also, a long-standing psychiatrist and very good psychologist on my side.

Deb
Let's keep fighting mental illness stigma
through education

A true friend walks in when everyone else walks out

#2 anhedonistica

anhedonistica

Advanced Member

ID: 62306

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:15 AM

Currently I'm off on short-term disability, going into my 9th week. It hasn't been smoothe so far, as they want all of these forms from my psychiatrist and my caseworker only approves ahead for 3 weeks at a time. Each time I have to get these "forms" from the pdoc completed it's a whopping $75. Manulife asked for another one just two weeks after the last one and I just bluntly said I couldn't afford these. I am off for depression which stemmed from major stress from my job (I'm a debt collector-credit cards), and it was just all getting to me. I have a long history of depression and was off 3 years ago for STD, but went back after 5 1/2 mos. The job was tough to bear for full-time so I dropped down to part-time (25 hours) and have remained there until now.

I, at this point, can't see myself going back to that crappy job; really don't think I can take the pressure anymore and think that the LTD will be my next course of action. Only problem is, I have heard horror stories about attempting to get LTD and being turned down for both that and CPP (Canada)on the first try. The sad thing is, only you know that you are unable to work, what does depression look like (we hide it so well), it doesn't show up sometimes. It's a feeling; a dreaded feeling and just doing some research it shows when interviews are done to qualify, you must be on your 'best behaviour' (pun) when it's your turn to speak.

Frankly, I'm terrified by what this whole outcome will be. The city I live in has very high unemployment so if I was forced to return to work and switch jobs, it would be hard-pressed at my age (55) or if I did, I think it would be difficult.

I had some pretty crappy years in the 1990's, in and out of hospitals for most of those years. Was on CPP for 8 years. Hopefully this will work in my favor for my depression illness and even applying for LTD and CPP this time. Also, a long-standing psychiatrist and very good psychologist on my side.

Deb

Deb,
I was in the exact same boat. When I was switching from short to long term disability, I was worried that they would turn me down. My insurance provider is also Manulife, and I had heard some horror stories about them. However, with my doctor's support, I was accepted for long term quite easily. All my doc had to do was to write, like 3 sentences, which he didn't charge me for (thank goodness). They have now asked me to apply for CPP, but my understanding is that if/when i receive it, Manulife will still "top me up," to my normal amount.

I'm sorry you are not feeling well. Best wishes,

A.

#3 cherished

cherished

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:53 PM

Hi A: If I could just ask, while you are on long-term, do they request many "doctor's statements" as they do on short-term? I got a bit nervous when they had asked for my doctor to fill out a form on this short-term dis and then turn around and request a 4-page detailed form two weeks later. The case worker said it was going to go to the medical department. I guess that could be looked upon as good or bad.

Thanks for replying

Deb

Edited by cherished, 29 December 2011 - 09:55 PM.

through education

#4 rehill

rehill

Advanced Member

ID: 17781

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:19 PM

When I was on LTD my doctor had completed the forms for STD, he rec'd one short form asking for confirmation when it was time to turn over to LTD that I still couldn't work. I was on LTD for almost a year, he never was asked for another form. However, having said that, I was working with a rehab consultant through Great West who was a psych murse by training. I kept in contact with her, worked with her through the steps to get ready to go back to work, and kept her informed of my progress. She filed her reports nad my benefits were never questioned. No problems. Before I went back to work that time I advised the rehab consultant that months earlier, when I thought I'd be back at work, I had booked a cruise. She told me to go on my trip, and we would start working on the return to work process when I returned. I had no problems with either STD or LTD, but I have heard that with Great West it depends - they can be great or they can be miserable. I might have just been lucky. When I first went on disability, my doctor charged me $50 for the initial form, and then he was asked for updates about every 2 months while on STD which he never charged for, although I know he could have. And other than the first form for LTD, there were no others.

Good luck!!

#5 anhedonistica

anhedonistica

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

Hi A: If I could just ask, while you are on long-term, do they request many "doctor's statements" as they do on short-term? I got a bit nervous when they had asked for my doctor to fill out a form on this short-term dis and then turn around and request a 4-page detailed form two weeks later. The case worker said it was going to go to the medical department. I guess that could be looked upon as good or bad.

Thanks for replying

Deb

Deb,
So far, they have required me to contact them with verbal progress report after each pdoc appointment (so, monthly), including med changes. They have only asked me for one updated doctor's note. They suggested that I use the same doc report for them as I used for my application for CPP, All in all, not too onerous.If they ask you if you still want to go back to your old job, always say "yes," and if they ask you when you think you will be ready, defer to your doc. That's my best advice.

#6 cherished

cherished

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:29 PM

I'm on short-term disability (my 9th wk) with my co's group plan. I can't see it in the cards going back to work so will continue on until applying for LTD after std @26 weeks. (have now been with the company for over 6 years).

a) I'm still confused with Manulife's stipulation of "pre-existing" condition which is depression for which I was off work for 11 years and on CPP back then. My short-term now is because of depression once again so I wonder if I will qualify.

b) I was curious and knew it took 3-4 mos for CPP to process applications so called today. They advised I complete the application for disability now. Does this make sense? Makes sense to me as my condition isn't going to improve and I would be ahead of the game.

Thanks everyone.

Deb
through education

#7 anhedonistica

anhedonistica

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:37 PM

I had pre-existing depression which flared up again, and i qualified for LTD with manulife. In fact, my pdocs note said that I had suffered from depression since childhood (which is true).

As for CPP, there seems to be some variation in how they handle this, as they asked me to make application around 9 months into my LTD, It was explained to me that this is routine request and is not a commentary on how long they think you are likely to remain on disability.

Edited by anhedonistica, 03 January 2012 - 06:41 PM.

#8 cherished

cherished

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

I can believe this - don't forget it's the gov't. I spoke with 2 customer service people @ CPP and both said to apply now even though on STD and they were sending me out this app. kit. In hindsight, I should have stayed on CPP instead of going back to work in 2005 as it's been a struggle all along. The c/s agent said he could still bring up a file on me, so maybe that would be a plus for applying.

Thanks for your reply.

Deb
through education

#9 anhedonistica

anhedonistica

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:54 PM

Deb,
you would probably make out better financially by receiving STD or LTD, than just by CPP, depending on what your LTD benefit is. Mine is 66 1/3 percent of my salary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users