Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Starting Zoloft Again

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 happypanda

happypanda

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:47 AM

Hi there,

I stopped taking Zoloft cold turkey 7 weeks ago without seeking medical advice - this was silly and I do not suggest it to anyone. I'm 20 years old and just wanted to see if it'd be possible to live life without it.

I've been okay up until now.. I'm having a lot of anxiety and a little depression for the last 5 days.. freaking out til I throw up etc.. or maybe I'm sick, but it's all the anxiety symptoms back.

I saw a doctor 2 days ago and had a blood test.. He gave me some medication to stop my dizziness and to help me keep food down, he said it'd be good if I stayed off the Zoloft.

I'm seeing a differerent doctor in 2 days time, (the one that orginally put me on Zoloft), and I will also get my blood test results back then to see if I was sick.

I'm feeling so anxious about the results (am i dying? its gotta be cancer right. why do i think like this anyway?). I'm really pretty confused at the moment..

What I'd like to know is if anyone has been off Zoloft for about this long (7ish weeks) and gone back on? and if so, how long did it take to feel better again? I regret stopping so much, but the other doctor says not to go back on them.

I know I'll find out Friday but I'm anxious to know how long til I might feel better and sleep properly :)

Thank you so much for your time.

#2 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:08 PM

Hi there,

I stopped taking Zoloft cold turkey 7 weeks ago without seeking medical advice - this was silly and I do not suggest it to anyone. I'm 20 years old and just wanted to see if it'd be possible to live life without it.

I've been okay up until now.. I'm having a lot of anxiety and a little depression for the last 5 days.. freaking out til I throw up etc.. or maybe I'm sick, but it's all the anxiety symptoms back.

I saw a doctor 2 days ago and had a blood test.. He gave me some medication to stop my dizziness and to help me keep food down, he said it'd be good if I stayed off the Zoloft.

I'm seeing a differerent doctor in 2 days time, (the one that orginally put me on Zoloft), and I will also get my blood test results back then to see if I was sick.

I'm feeling so anxious about the results (am i dying? its gotta be cancer right. why do i think like this anyway?). I'm really pretty confused at the moment..

What I'd like to know is if anyone has been off Zoloft for about this long (7ish weeks) and gone back on? and if so, how long did it take to feel better again? I regret stopping so much, but the other doctor says not to go back on them.

I know I'll find out Friday but I'm anxious to know how long til I might feel better and sleep properly :)

Thank you so much for your time.

Hi HappyPanda,

I hope your anxiety has subsided, and that your blood results didn't show anything unusual. I tried to go back on Zoloft when I went off of it, and ended up trying and being successful with another AD (Cymbalta). Since we all respond differently, it's hard to say what will work best for you, but I hope you are feeling better. Let us know how things are going.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 kathy7744

kathy7744

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:39 AM

Hi

I went off zoloft about 6 months ago, gradually weaned off then I didnt even realise that my depression and anxiety was coming back. I started to not wanna go out and do anything, silly things were bothering me at work and atarting arguments with my fiance which always ended up with me being in tears. So i decided to go back on the zoloft. I started feeling a little better within a few days, but during the second week i got a few bad side effects - night sweats, no appetite, nausea and one day i felt so "wound-up" like very anxious and paranoid. So i halved my dose for a few days. So now its been 3 weeks i'm back on the full dose and i'm feeling great !! Most of the side effects have gone except a little bit of a twitching eye-lid from time to time. But i feel much more content with life and haven't cried since.
So i think that you feeling sick and thinking the worst is a depressive symptom, which will go away when the meds kick in again. The feeling good again is a gradual process so doesn't just happen in a flash. And only then you will look back on how crappy u were feeling and realise that its good to be back on track. My doctor explained to me that you may have to take them for life and it doesn't bother me coz its like some people having to take meds for diabetes. Both are valid conditions. So keep taking them and keep us informed how u get on.
:bestwishes:

#4 clairei

clairei

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:24 PM

Hi Happypanda,

I have a similar story to you and came upon this forum after doing a google search on Zoloft. Like you, I was on Zoloft for about a year before I went cold turkey as I believed I didn't need them. I had a health concern which I was convinced was the culprit for my depression as I couldn't pin point it to anything else. I just woke up one morning and I was sad, crying, I had no energy. Anyway I had an operation in November which I thought would solve the depression, so a few weeks before the operation I stopped the medication. The plan was to come off them slowly, however I just forgot to take the medication so just ran with it. I was OK until just before Christmas when I started to feel depressed and anxious again. It took me a few good days and a lot of advice from friends and family but I decided I needed to go back on them. Christmas is not the most ideal time to start taking the medication considering all of the side effects I knew would come based on my prior experience of going on Zoloft. But I had to bite the bullet - I am getting married in 3 weeks and I got a job promotion at work so the last thing I need is to be depressed and tense. I've been back on Zoloft for 3 weeks now and the depression has lifted however I am extremely anxious, but I think part of it might be nerves about the wedding day.

It is a great thing that you sought a second opinion as no two doctors have the same professional opinion about everything. How have you progressed since your post? Have you decided to start taking the medication again? I'd love to hear from you to know how you are going.Try not to be so hard on yourself. Before I originally went on the medication I pondered over it for months as I was scared. But after discussions with friends and family I found that I was not alone, that many people I knew were on antidepressents as well. Although the doctors are the experts, talk to your friends and family about it as they will give you the best support. I read somewhere recently that depression is predicted to be the second largest health concern globally in about 10 years from now so don't feel alone.

Hope to hear from you,
Claire

#5 Subliminal

Subliminal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:52 PM

Stopped taking Zoloft about 4 weeks ago (Cold Turkey),

my energy had been cut by 40%-60% each time I tried to do some sort of physical activity. was an on/off thing..

And now that I'm completely off it, the fatigue and weakness seem to be prolonging.. Frustrating! And all I want to do is go exercise, but Low and Behold, Muscle weakness is what happens after I stop the Zoloft.

Hope my body will slowly stabilise without Zoloft cos I'll never go back on it after having had that kind of tiredness and lethargy from it.

Excuse me, I just need to vent - somewhere with others who're sharing the same experiences. Thanks

Inside me is a Life worth saving. I'll learn the Courage to Change. Consistency is Key.

Hope is EVERYWHERE.

S U B L I M I N A L

Blog: http://www.depressio...inals-writings/

Spoiler

#6 bill25

bill25

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

I quit zoloft because it poisoned my liver. The doctors tell me after the fact that it is quite common, Kind of strange that list of side effects and warnings does not list that. All I can say is beware, this drug changed my life and almost killed me, I was only on it for a month and in that month it did 30 years of heavy drinking damage to my liver. AND I DONT DRINK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users