Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

L-Theanine??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 shae

shae

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:01 PM

Hey everyone. Just had a quick question...has anybody taken an L-Theanine supplement for (social) anxiety and depression? I read about it on a forum last night and did my own research. It seems worth trying, but I'd like to hear if anyone has tried it and if they've had any success with it.

xo

#2 T on C

T on C

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

I drink green tea once in a while, which L-Theanine is derived from. Never have taken it as a supplement though, as a few glasses of green tea, or gunpowder for that matter will wire me out thus increasing the risk of anxiety, increased BP, etc.

goldenvelope1jr.gifdiamondstar.gif There's people in my bowl...
Current Meds: Propranolol, Lithium, Haloperidol, Norvasc, Zoloft, Zaleplon
Up to date diagnosis: PTSD, BP1, MDD with psychotic features

#3 shae

shae

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:45 PM

I drink green tea once in a while, which L-Theanine is derived from. Never have taken it as a supplement though, as a few glasses of green tea, or gunpowder for that matter will wire me out thus increasing the risk of anxiety, increased BP, etc.

Yeah, tea does have caffeine, but L-Theanine is an amino acid, no caffeine included. I've done a lot of research on it and feel that it may really help with anxiety, as it crosses the blood-brain barrier, causing the brain to create more alpha waves and a sense of relaxation. I'm not a big fan of tea, that's why I want to buy the supplement. Thanks for replying!

#4 taysmom1016

taysmom1016

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:52 PM

Hey everyone. Just had a quick question...has anybody taken an L-Theanine supplement for (social) anxiety and depression? I read about it on a forum last night and did my own research. It seems worth trying, but I'd like to hear if anyone has tried it and if they've had any success with it.

xo

I've been on L-theanine for about a month now and have noticed a slight difference. I also added 5-htp and L-tryptophan because I have horrible insomnia. I've been on the net researching supplements too, my pdoc said to try them one at a time to see which, if any, work for me. I just bought a box of SAM-e in desperation (they're quite expensive) to see if it will help with my depression. I'm going to give it a few weeks.

Overall, I would say L-theanine is worth trying. I even found a child's chewable for my son who has terrible stress and trauma over going to his dad's overnight and either it helps, or he thinks it helps, if he takes it at bedtime. Either way, it works for him. It's a really small dose in a vitamin called Relax-a-saurus that some parents use for ADHD kids which my son also has. It also helps counteract the effects of caffeine which is probably why it helps me fall asleep a little easier (along with the L-tryptophan and kava) because I can't seem to stay away from the diet pepsi and coffee. Good luck!
Taysmom

Major depression, generalized anxiety disorder, PTSD, insomnia, chronic pain and neurological damage from legionnaires.

Medications: Mirtazipine, clonazepam, ambien, and various vitamins and supplements.

#5 shae

shae

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:33 PM

I've been on L-theanine for about a month now and have noticed a slight difference. I also added 5-htp and L-tryptophan because I have horrible insomnia. I've been on the net researching supplements too, my pdoc said to try them one at a time to see which, if any, work for me. I just bought a box of SAM-e in desperation (they're quite expensive) to see if it will help with my depression. I'm going to give it a few weeks.

Overall, I would say L-theanine is worth trying. I even found a child's chewable for my son who has terrible stress and trauma over going to his dad's overnight and either it helps, or he thinks it helps, if he takes it at bedtime. Either way, it works for him. It's a really small dose in a vitamin called Relax-a-saurus that some parents use for ADHD kids which my son also has. It also helps counteract the effects of caffeine which is probably why it helps me fall asleep a little easier (along with the L-tryptophan and kava) because I can't seem to stay away from the diet pepsi and coffee. Good luck!
[/quote]

Thanks! I've read mixed reviews on L-T. Some say it works just as well as Xantax, others say it only slightly helps them, while the rest say it doesn't help them at all. I have been looking around in stores for the past 2 days for L-T, but I have yet to find it. And I'm not trying to pay $30 for it at GNC. So if I don't find it tomorrow, I guess I'll order it online. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I really want it to work!

#6 taysmom1016

taysmom1016

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:58 PM

Thanks! I've read mixed reviews on L-T. Some say it works just as well as Xantax, others say it only slightly helps them, while the rest say it doesn't help them at all. I have been looking around in stores for the past 2 days for L-T, but I have yet to find it. And I'm not trying to pay $30 for it at GNC. So if I don't find it tomorrow, I guess I'll order it online. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I really want it to work!
[/quote]

Try Amazon, that's where I get mine. I was desperate to try them fast too so I looked everywhere. Our GNC didn't have them but he directed me to a food co-op downtown where I found them but I get them at a better price on Amazon. I like the Calmplex Suntheane as it has other stuff added that helps me sleep.
Taysmom

Major depression, generalized anxiety disorder, PTSD, insomnia, chronic pain and neurological damage from legionnaires.

Medications: Mirtazipine, clonazepam, ambien, and various vitamins and supplements.

#7 shae

shae

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:58 PM

Try Amazon, that's where I get mine. I was desperate to try them fast too so I looked everywhere. Our GNC didn't have them but he directed me to a food co-op downtown where I found them but I get them at a better price on Amazon. I like the Calmplex Suntheane as it has other stuff added that helps me sleep.
[/quote]

I found some at the organic market that I go to. It was a 30 count bottle, 100 mg each pill, for $10. I have been taking them for several days now and definitely see a difference. My anxiety isn't completely gone, but I feel much more at ease and a little bit more confident. I've heard Suntheanine is more potent than just Theanine. Have you tried both?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users