Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Please Help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NickyJM

NickyJM

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:11 PM

I suffer from selective mutism and have done since childhood. At school people often assumed i had learning difficulties because i didnt speak or make any eye contact.Like other sufferers of selective mutism i find myself unable to breath and will often be physically sick if someone i dont know tries to speak to me and i avoid answering my front door or the phone.I wish i could be like other people and be able to start conversations and be social but most days its a struggle leaving the house.I was wondering if there are support groups out there for adult sufferes i,ve been looking online but have only found support for children (which is of course brilliant and very important) but was wondering about help for adults? :boredsmiley:

#2 lindahurt

lindahurt

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:40 PM

Hello NickyJM,

I am sorry with your struggles due to your diagnosis of selective mutism. I can imagine how difficult it must be to battle with socializing. We are glad to have you with us and always feel free to share your thoughts and feeling here. Members are kind and don't mind listening.

I am not familiar with any support groups specifically for selective mutism, but believe you might be about to benefit from attending Emotions Anonymous which caters to anyone. Consider DF a part of your support team.

Lindahurt
Even in the most horrific of situations, one's attitude has an enormous role in shaping what happens ~ Viktor Frankl
In you lies the power to choose, to commit - Stephen Convey

The kind of person you want to become is greatly influence by your inner decisions, and not from outside influence alone. We can even under adverse circumstances, decide what shall become of us ~ Brian C. Stiller

Posted Image

#3 DarkRain

DarkRain

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:52 PM

Hi NickyJM, I'm sorry you're struggling with selective mutism so much. I also have this problem when dealing with people and often become sick or experience pain when pressured to speak. Unfortunately from my experience professionals tend to dismiss adults with this problem as it's commonly perceived as a children's disorder. I haven't received any help with it nor found any place that gives support although I think maybe a therapist who deals with either anxiety or speech problems would be of great help. It's a comfort to know I'm not the only one dealing with this.

Edited by DarkRain, 04 December 2011 - 05:52 PM.

"There is some good in this world Mr. Frodo and it's worth fighting for."

"I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil."

"My friends are my power! And I'm theirs!"

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users