Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Why Is Morning Depression Worse/diurnal Mood Variation?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 pittguy578

pittguy578

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:05 PM

I am still wondering if any doctors/researchers have any explanations for diurnal mood variation. My depression is always significantly worse the first part of the day-mornings. For example, I woke up this morning and had crushing depression all day to the point where I had ideations and didn't really want to live. At about 7PM Eastern Standard time my mood started to lift and I feel fine right now-actually normal, but I know when I wake up in the morning I will be back to square one (most days) Is there any way to short circuit this mood variation?

#2 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:57 PM

I am still wondering if any doctors/researchers have any explanations for diurnal mood variation. My depression is always significantly worse the first part of the day-mornings. For example, I woke up this morning and had crushing depression all day to the point where I had ideations and didn't really want to live. At about 7PM Eastern Standard time my mood started to lift and I feel fine right now-actually normal, but I know when I wake up in the morning I will be back to square one (most days) Is there any way to short circuit this mood variation?

I have always heard that nighttime is the worse time for depression or the winter season with the night coming sooner, etc., but in listening to a presentation yesterday, apparently there is no specific, sound proof that a certain time of day will impact your mood one way or another. Every individual will react differently. You seem to be different from many people in that the later part of the day or night seems to cause more issues than during the day, so I find that interesting. Do you take anything for your depression? If so, maybe your MD would consider adding another drug to help boost its effects or maybe if you take it later in the day (if you take it in the morning).

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 Jellyfish

Jellyfish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:55 PM

I am very much the same way, I've historically felt better around nightfall, but even just a few hours in I start to feel better. I'm not so fond of winter time, as I do like my sunlight and bright warm days, but I'm naturally set on a later schedule. I've been told a million times that I'll "adjust" to an early schedule, but even after 8 years of getting up at 6am for school I still felt more energized at night. If I get up at 10am, then I start to feel manageable around 2pm, and I feel my best around 8pm-12am. Then the "pre sleep" depression sets in where I evaluate my day and stress about all the things I should have done etc. A lot of the time I'm pretty much unhappy throughout the day, but there are still subtle lifts and falls.

I wish I had answers for you! Its definitely worth bringing up with your doc though, because they should be able to take it into consideration when talking to you about when to take your meds.

#4 pinto77

pinto77

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 208 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:16 AM

Not sure. I think it varies and depends on the individual. I feel significantly worse at night time...6PM to 1AM.

#5 little_laura

little_laura

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:45 AM

when im going through a rough patch night is bad for me because it the end of the day and I often feel I failed in some way as I feel I didnt do all i should have or succeeded etc... and it means the next day is closer where i have to start all over again and if a day i hate is next ie a class i hate, something i struggle with , often a job I hate going to etc... It makes me feel sick with upset... the morning i wake up negative and fearing whats going to happen today and like im going to fail already

>_<

#6 lostingothicmusic

lostingothicmusic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:15 AM

I can empathise with the morning depression thing. Many are the days where I've lain in bed debating on whether I can actually get up. The notion of doing a whole day at work seems so impossible and soul destroying. I feel warm and safe in bed. So I don't want to leave. Everyday it goes like this:

Urgh. Work.
Got to get up
But I feel so cr*p
Then call in sick...
Oh I can't do that - I have so much to do...
Then get up and do it
But it's sooo hard!
If you don't go in today it'll pile up and then you'll get all stressed again.
Ha! I'm stressed already.
It'll be worse if you leave it for tomorrow. And you'll have to deal with the pity stares too.
Urgh. Can't deal with that. Ok I'll get up. (wookie noises)
There we go - you'll feel better by 10am, when you're there and doing it.
Urgh. I Hate my job.

Every morning I have that conversation in my head before I can get out of bed, usually round and round for 20mins. It's worse if I didn't sleep well / had bad dreams / am generally feeling more depressed than usual. Then I'm fine once I get into work. Anxiety's another matter though!
feeling happy makes me a brighter shade of blue...

#7 JSMitchell

JSMitchell

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:43 AM

I think I'm a weird case in this bunch. When I only had to deal with depression, I was naturally a morning person. I woke up feeling great in the mornings, and I basically loved them since they were a time when I knew I would feel good no matter what.

Once I developed my anxiety issue in addition to the depression, I quickly grew to dread mornings. Instead of the good moods I remember, waking up with anxiety and worries became the norm to the point where I couldn't even remember what it felt like to enjoy the morning.

So, it's not really my depression that's worse in the mornings, but my anxiety. It usually calms down to quite a manageable point within a few hours, and the amount of time it's taking to calm down has been decreasing more and more lately, and that's great, but the anxiety is still worse in the mornings compared to the rest of the day and I still don't enjoy the mornings like I used to.

#8 spider and i

spider and i

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:21 PM

This is something that's bothered me for a long time as well, so I wanted to thank you pittguy for bringing it up. Mornings are nightmarish for me. I usually wake up invariably like this: clenched fists, scowl, a heaving dread in my chest, and ultimately a pained yawn (I like someone's description of it, a "Wookie' type emanation, very apt). I dread if I've received a bad email so I always check my email, first, which worsens my mood. Then I wonder what the hell I should do next, and nothing concrete ever arises from that, so I usually head back to bed with tremendous guilt, eased somewhat by anxiety pills.

I'm hoping for the day when this stops and I can wake up like I did as a child, with such a sense of wonder and excitement and hope. It seems like such a long time ago.

#9 Ettore

Ettore

• PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:06 PM

I feel the worst immediately when I wake up but it passes at night around 7pm things start to go down hill again.

#10 Laila

Laila

• PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:47 PM

Nighttime is usually the worst part of the day for me although, like spider and i, I have been waking up with clenched fists for quile a while now and also with clenched teeth.

#11 lostingothicmusic

lostingothicmusic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:47 AM

oh yeah, I get the clenched teeth thing too.
feeling happy makes me a brighter shade of blue...

#12 Ettore

Ettore

• PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:25 PM

I used to grind/clench my teeth all day and especially in my sleep. So much so that I have serious jaw damage.

#13 pittguy578

pittguy578

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:35 PM

Thank you for your responses. I guess it depends on the individual, but this is how my depression has always been. When I looked up major depressive disorder diurnal mood variation (worse in mornings) is a classic symptom. I just wasn't sure if anyone has similar experiences. My mood difference is significant..for example yesterday during most of the day I was to the point where I just didn't want toiv live anymore. However, around 1030 I felt fine and actually had some positive thoughts...and felt normal. I used my electrical stimulator (alpha stim) right before bed last night and actually woke up feeling normal today. I am not sure if it has something to do with sleep patterns and what happens to the brain at night.

#14 hkc9591

hkc9591

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:10 PM

Wow! I'd like to hear more about the electrical stimulator.

I'm with you. When I was going through my horrible depression/anxiety it was the worse in the morning. I think the evenings were, and still are better for me because I know that by sleeping I will get to just check out for a while. Then, when I wake up in the morning, I dread the day. Once I get home from work, I'm better, knowing that soon I will get to sleep it off. Does that make sense?

#15 Guillaume

Guillaume

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:41 PM

I have been so depressed and anxious for the past 3 months now.
I haven't been able to sleep and work for 3 months .
I hate mornings with a vengeance as I am full of anxiety and anger not knowing what I will do of my day as I can't work and live alone in a foreign country with no friends and family here .
I can't even get up in the morning .
I haven't shaved for 3 weeks.
I am so slow and down ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users