Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Do Your Dreams Affect Your Mood The Next Day?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lostingothicmusic

lostingothicmusic

ID: 70649

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:35 AM

The reason I am asking this is because last night I had a horrible dream -

****warning - could be triggering to those with SI issues*****

I was arguing with my cousin (who has been dead for 6 years)
Spoiler
, so I can see where this came from. Also, it is only a week away from the 6 year anniversary of her death, although I hadn't conciously realised that until now. After this nasty sequence, I was told by one of my friends I could no longer babysit her son (my godson) because I was not a worthy human being and because I was dangerous. I questioned why she said this and she pulled up my sleeve and
Spoiler
which I had not done!!! Infact there was writing on it too, which was in my cousin's handwriting. Now I do struggle with this, as those familiar with the SI forum will know, so again, I'm not too surprised to dream about it...

*****end of trigger******

but I woke up this morning quite disturbed by the dream. It has made me feel edgy and anxious all day.

Does any one else find that their emotional states in dreams continue into the next day - or directly affect how you feel the next day?

Is this more common amongst depression sufferers?

Thoughts please....xx

Edited by Trace, 01 December 2011 - 03:22 AM.
Add spoilers

feeling happy makes me a brighter shade of blue...

#2 T on C

T on C

ID: 14609

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:15 PM

Dreams have always affected my mood in one way or another, especially the nightmares due to events in my life. You wake up after reliving bad stuff and it can be hard to shake the feeling.
I've noticed that certain drugs tend to get me into the lucid dreaming state more than others.

Used to have the strangest dreams while I was Buspar, mostly nonsense but loads of fun. I used to look forward to hitting the bed so I could jump back into that world.

goldenvelope1jr.gifdiamondstar.gif There's people in my bowl...
Current Meds: Propranolol, Lithium, Haloperidol, Norvasc, Zoloft, Zaleplon
Up to date diagnosis: PTSD, BP1, MDD with psychotic features

#3 lostingothicmusic

lostingothicmusic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:23 PM

If I have a good dream and I wake up in the middle I can usually go right back to it if I want to!

#4 Ettore

Ettore

ID: 67537

• PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:13 PM

Yes but kind of in the opposite direction.
Sometimes I have a really good dream where everything is great and I'm a "normal" non depressed person, I have a girlfriend, I'm successful and everything in my life is just golden and fantastic. Then I wake up and feel like a failure. I'd say I have dreams like this about once a week.

Other times I start a dream like the above but then it slowly warps and gets twisted in really horrible ways.

I once had a dream where I was moving to a nice apartment and family was there congratulating me for moving out and having a nice home party. Then all the sudden I was alone, the apartment turned into a dilapidated mess and I was eating my pets. That one freaked me out a bit.

I have really vivid realistic dreams so it makes it kind of bad.

Edited by Ettore, 30 November 2011 - 04:13 PM.

#5 Fodgalaxy

Fodgalaxy

ID: 70343

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

Yes sometimes if I wake up during a disturbing dream it affects my mood in the morning. Usually I tell myself its just a dream and try to think of something more positive.

#6 SadnessConsumes

SadnessConsumes

ID: 71674

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:57 PM

My dreams ABSOLUTELY affect my mood the next day. And even for days after that, depending on how intense the dream was.

This could be good or bad, but i mainly have nightmares and a lot of times, i can't shake them.

for instance, i once had a dream that i killed my kids. it was to protect them from some harm (i dont know what), but that dream STILL freaks me out, and it was MONTHS ago.

#7 BobbyCorwen

BobbyCorwen

ID: 68947

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:33 AM

I find that good dreams don't really affect my mood at all the next day. "Normal" bad dreams might affect it for a little bit of the time I'm awake, but eventually I'll usually forget about it or just shrug it off. Really terrible dreams, though, can completely mess me up for the whole day. A couple of years ago, I had one dream which I won't even attempt to describe here, partially because I really don't want to relive it, but it woke me up at 7 AM (unnaturally early for me) and completely freaked out, off-kilter, and unable to leave my apartment all day. It was so bad, I could barely even walk, I just kind of stumbled around everywhere. That was the most extreme reaction I ever had to a dream, and I sincerely hope it never happens again.

#8 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

ID: 10376

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:22 AM

Hi lostingothicmusic

Dreams are not always as they may seem. I have 6 closed dream interpretation threads in the Water Cooler here. I unfortunately have closed them, as I do not have time to interpret all the dreams anymore, but feel free to read through the threads, it may help you understand a little about the dreams that you have.

Here is a link to the most recent one that I closed.

Dream Interpretation

Trace
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

True beauty must come, must be grown, from within.... - Ralph W Trine.

Posted Image

#9 lostingothicmusic

lostingothicmusic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:40 AM

THank you everyone for your replies - it makes me feel a little more normal now that I know I'm not the only one to be completely freaked out by a dream. I know my undepressed friends just shrug them off and can't understand why it would affect me, so I guess it is just another thing that comes with depression etc.

Thanks for the link Trace.

xx

#10 AquaViolet

AquaViolet

Senior Moderator

ID: 71169

• Admin Team-Moderator
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:53 PM

My dreams (when I remember them) definately affect my mood the next day. I find myself thinking about the dreams all throughout the day, and it doesn't go away until I fall asleep again.
~~AquaViolet~~
Posted Image
Posted Image

My Diagnoses: Severe OCD, panic disorder, depression
My Current meds: Geodon, Cymbalta, Klonopin, Lyrica 

My Previous meds:
Prozac, Paxil, Celexa,
Lexapro, Luvox, Zoloft, Clomipramine (a horrible med for me),
Xanax, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Risperdal,
Gabapentin (this med did nothing), Buspar (also did nothing)

#11 Perundah

Perundah

ID: 62124

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:13 PM

Yes, bad dreams can really shake me, especially if I'm already feeling unwell, and good dreams can be depressing if they show me how life could have been. Oh well.
Even the smallest star shines in the darkness

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users